• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Rich!

My SNES Mini has reached the UK! Yesss.

Quick question - the SFC and PAL SNES run on 9v power. Am I right in saying the US SNES runs on 10v?

If so, 9v should still be enough, right? If not, I'll just use my 10v megadrive adapter.

-KRS-

Quick question - the SFC and PAL SNES run on 9v power. Am I right in saying the US SNES runs on 10v?

If so, 9v should still be enough, right? If not, I'll just use my 10v megadrive adapter.

Sorry I don't know the answer, but I thought the SFC and PAL SNES were different as well. When I accidentally plugged my PAL SNES AC adapter into my SFC it did work, but it could not boot my SD2SNES cart because it seemed like the voltage was too low or something. And the guy I bought the SFC from said that I shouldn't use PAL AC adapters with it.

Edit: Oh wait, I think my PAL AC adapter is actually a NES one now that I think about it.

-KRS-

I think there were some timing issues with Terranigma in 60hz wasn't there? I haven't played it much myself but I seem to remember something about that.

plc268

9V is fine for the US SNES, but 10V is really prefered.

Also, I hope you have the right power plug, because the US SNES uses a proprietary plug that isn't used in anything else, afaik.

Rich!

heh

anyhow, just went on a trip to Maplin - ten minutes and £4 later, I have this:

jREwYsn2IJ4uL.jpg

Just need to solder the plug onto the cable end and I have a nifty adapter for using a Mega Drive 10v power adapter on a USA SNES.

edit: done. much cheaper than buying a US AC adapter and a stepdown converter! Almost fucked it up - soldering with a plaster cast on is fucking hard. Had to use my left hand - I'm right handed.

That video is pretty awesome.

I wasn't the biggest fan of this game when I had it years and years ago, but as I grew older i loved it. Im debating getting a repro of SOM2. I actually finally beat this a few months back. I made it all the way to end of the game and could never defeat the last boss, due largely in part to having no idea what I was doing back then.

All this time and i've never seen the original art for the characters.

I love that charming clay model look

Also, some of the art in that video was made for the iOS remake

Those are by the Mushimesama Futari artist, and I think it's a great fit for the game's style!

That video is pretty awesome.

I wasn't the biggest fan of this game when I had it years and years ago, but as I grew older i loved it. Im debating getting a repro of SOM2. I actually finally beat this a few months back. I made it all the way to end of the game and could never defeat the last boss, due largely in part to having no idea what I was doing back then.

I'll be honest, I don't like SoM that much. I love the art style and the music, but the rest of the game doesn't do much for me. I'm told Seiken Densetsu 3 is way better and I'm curious to give that a shot.

Rich!

Secret of Mana is a beautiful game, but does get incredibly tedious and unfair at times. It's a great RPG, but it's overrated in a lot of areas IMO.

SD3 however fixes every issue with SOM, and expands everything that's great about it to no end. The fan translation is still one of the best ever made, second only to Mother 3.

I'm really not a fan of Secret of Mana. The gameplay has never really clicked with me, and some of its design choices baffle me. Add in your typical Squaresoft translation job, and I just can't find much reason to finish it. The only reason I've ever put time into it at all is because it has co-op.

I've never played Seiken Densetsu 3, though. I've always been off put by the game not supporting three-player multiplayer when its predecessor did. Maybe I should give it a try.

Rich!

Just put my Everdrive into a USA cart in preparation for getting a USA SNES Mini. Designed the cart label myself, printed it onto my last piece of photo paper, cut it out, went to round off the corners....and my hand slipped and cut off an extra chunk of the bottom left corner. oops

ah well. fuck it. It still looks OK.

IrishNinja

geez, that looks terrible, rich. might as well start fresh with another one...tell you what, i'll take that junky one off your hands for $50 to offset the difference, seems like a win-win all around man

Rich!

geez, that looks terrible, rich. might as well start fresh with another one...tell you what, i'll take that junky one off your hands for $50 to offset the difference, seems like a win-win all around man

$300 and a night with Scarlett Johansson, and you've got yourself a deal son

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
41dxnqRgiqL._SY300_.jpg

Round Corner Puncher/Cutter is a useful thing to have for making rounded corners on your cart labels.

I just got that busted Turtles in Time cart in the mail. Did a preliminary alcohol cleaning, popped it in the SNES and sure enough it's a black screen. The cart itself is a little dingy but there's no obvious signs of damage. The screws are pretty rusted so I'm thinking that might be moisture or corrosion. Opened the cart up and the pins look ok for the most part but there's some obvious rust or corrosion on a bunch of the pins. Should I use some brasso to get the rust off or is that a fools errand? The chips look ok, no broken pins or cracks or anything, so maybe it can be salvaged? Would be a real shame for one of these babies to go to waste.

J2MOQu8l.jpg

TQU73sOl.jpg

6wniWX7l.jpg

I just got that busted Turtles in Time cart in the mail. Did a preliminary alcohol cleaning, popped it in the SNES and sure enough it's a black screen. The cart itself is a little dingy but there's no obvious signs of damage. The screws are pretty rusted so I'm thinking that might be moisture or corrosion. Opened the cart up and the pins look ok for the most part but there's some obvious rust or corrosion on a bunch of the pins. Should I use some brasso to get the rust off or is that a fools errand? The chips look ok, no broken pins or cracks or anything, so maybe it can be salvaged? Would be a real shame for one of these babies to go to waste.

J2MOQu8l.jpg

TQU73sOl.jpg

6wniWX7l.jpg

If it's not working at this point I would try the brasso. You've got nothing to lose.

Oh well, gave cleaning it a try with brasso, q-tips, a toothbrush and some brillo pad. No go. Those metal contacts are nice and shiny though! Sigh.

Go find a copy of Beethoven or something and swap the chips. It's worth a try, and no one would miss a copy of Beethoven--especially if it saves a Turtles in Time.

This link has an incomplete list of games that use the same board. Edit: seems like the last 2 digits of the chipboard model aren't too important. Mine's an 02.

Teknoman

So Super Famicom controllers, its really easy to switch the controller port cable? Just got one, and I see how short the able is...but the controller itself just looks cool.

Go find a copy of Beethoven or something and swap the chips. It's worth a try, and no one would miss a copy of Beethoven--especially if it saves a Turtles in Time.

This link has an incomplete list of games that use the same board. Edit: seems like the last 2 digits of the chipboard model aren't too important. Mine's an 02.

I'm not even sure how to go about swapping the chips. I assume that requires soldering.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
So Super Famicom controllers, its really easy to switch the controller port cable? Just got one, and I see how short the able is...but the controller itself just looks cool.
Everything is swappable with the SNES version. They even use the same mold.

i've been looking at super famicom systems on ebay. i'm from the u.s. so i grew up with the snes. the super famicoms are just so cool looking. my favorite looking console ever. the cartridges are really great looking as well. i think i'm going to pull the trigger as soon as i see one that looks to be in the kind of shape that i want. i'll get a bridge so that i can play snes games on it (for the games where the japanese cart can't be played if you don't understand japanese).

dcx4610

i've been looking at super famicom systems on ebay. i'm from the u.s. so i grew up with the snes. the super famicoms are just so cool looking. my favorite looking console ever. the cartridges are really great looking as well. i think i'm going to pull the trigger as soon as i see one that looks to be in the kind of shape that i want. i'll get a bridge so that i can play snes games on it (for the games where the japanese cart can't be played if you don't understand japanese).

Same here. I've always been obsessed with the Super Famicom. I remember all of the early leaked pics of it in the game magazines and couldn't wait.

...then we got a blocky toy system with purple buttons.

The SFC just looked perfect and felt like a modern progression from the FC and NES. I loved the rainbow buttons as well. Absolutely my favorite console design of all time.

I doubt I'll ever own one since I've long sold my SNES collection and it's such an expensive hobby but I still love looking at them.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Same here. I've always been obsessed with the Super Famicom. I remember all of the early leaked pics of it in the game magazines and couldn't wait.

...then we got a blocky toy system with purple buttons.

The SFC just looked perfect and felt like a modern progression from the FC and NES. I loved the rainbow buttons as well. Absolutely my favorite console design of all time.

I doubt I'll ever own one since I've long sold my SNES collection and it's such an expensive hobby but I still love looking at them.
When you actually have one in your hands you realize it's as solid as a rock. The US SNES is a more hollow, creaky plastic thing in comparison.

I actually like the US SNES as it's own thing, but now that I own both, SFC is definitely the better of the two.

brainpann

I should do this. I hate using my purple-buttoned SNES controllers on my SFC just because of their cord length. It's blasphemy!

Sometimes you can find broken super famicom controllers cheap on ebay. Thats what i used for the swap out.

Speaking of super famicom, finally found a 1-chip snes, cheap, to put into my super famicom shell! Ill probably not touch my snes jr after. Of course i will need to do the rgb bypass mod to get an snes jr comparable picture out of it, but it will be worth it cause the super famicom is so damn sexy to look at.

BocoDragon

Sometimes you can find broken super famicom controllers cheap on ebay. Thats what i used for the swap out.
I actually already have 4 SFC controllers and 4 SNES controllers. I'll probably keep 2 of each normal and make 2 hybrids.

Is RGB that big of a jump in quality over s-video on an SNES model 1 on a LCD? Right now I have my genesis running in RGB through a SCART-HDMI box and the clarity and colors are way better than the SNES through S-video. I'm thinking about getting a SCART cable for the SNES, but undecided whether it's worth the $20 or so. S-video is ok but the colors are washed out, especially even compared to the Wii's VC running over component cables. I've also notice a bit of muddying around the edges in s-video.

BocoDragon

Say what you want about Gradius III and SNES slowdown, but the game is still intense!

iQZuAYEPMmwSm.jpg
I love the sound of the soundtrack too. It's in the same boat as other SNES Konami games like Turtles in Time, in that it doesn't sound like the arcade original, but maybe sounds better. Very shiny audio.

I got into SNES Gradius in recent years, and it felt bright and futuristic then. It's really odd rummaging through ancient EGMs and seeing it there... Probably would have knocked my socks off at SNES launch

HaL64

I love the sound of the soundtrack too. It's in the same boat as other SNES Konami games like Turtles in Time, in that it doesn't sound like the arcade original, but maybe sounds better. Very shiny audio.

I got into SNES Gradius in recent years, and it felt bright and futuristic then. It's really odd rummaging through ancient EGMs and seeing it there... Probably would have knocked my socks off at SNES launch

There are a ton of arcade games like that I prefer playing on my SNES as opposed to my mame arcade machine due to the better soundtrack the SNES versions usually give. Final Fight also comes to mind, even with all the censoring and and missing Guy.

Mzo

Don't forget missing level and no more than 3 enemies on-screen at once.

It's actually a pretty bad port. Testament to the original game design that it's still fun.

HaL64

It's actually a pretty bad port. Testament to the original game design that it's still fun.

Ha I never noticed the fewer enemies. Maybe it is just balanced that way to make it less of a quarter eater. :)
I never thought of it as a bad port.
Final Fight 2 and 3, I enjoy. But just did not capture the feel of an arcade game like Final Fight 1 did.

BocoDragon

It's an imperfect translation of the original game, but I think it's a very solid game considered on its own merits.

Top Bottom