• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Jethro

Thinking 'bout doing the same.. stop me.

Ask yourself how precious is it for you? My rational thougts said it's insane. For the money you can buy 3 full price games.

I asked about the price first and then I went again for a round and then as still lying there, I said to myself that it must be fate.;)

Zing

Banned
This is driving me mad. Does anyone have an Actraiser or Dinocity manual to spare? (USA version)

They are the only manuals I am missing, and seem common enough, but I only see them for sale with other stuff.

Shining

Ask yourself how precious is it for you? My rational thougts said it's insane. For the money you can buy 3 full price games.

I asked about the price first and then I went again for a round and then as still lying there, I said to myself that it must be fate.;)
May i ask how much? In any case, i bet it costs a lot more than the US version ;)

Teknoman

j7yNPwKJhspQs.jpg

Ugh I should've known he'd (it?) have a shield.

EDIT: Did it! Its funny how a good RPG can actually evoke genuinely good feelings at times.

Earthbound had a such cool soundtrack. Oh and if you haven't played it, I suggest picking up Mother 3 next. It's a great game to play after Earthbound.

Teknoman

Earthbound had a such cool soundtrack. Oh and if you haven't played it, I suggest picking up Mother 3 next. It's a great game to play after Earthbound.

I have the repro cart and started it up awhile back (before I got Earthbound) but i'll probably restart with the EB story fresh in my head. Now I realize Pokey is the real lead bad guy (or it seems that way...unless it was just a side woken up by Giygas).

Actually I need to play Mother 1 at some point too.

The_Afroman

Posted in BST but posting in the retro appreciation threads as well..

Anyone one in the Syracuse/CNY area want a free Sony Wega 34"?

Sony-KV-34HS420
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-A5kz8johJSI/p_158KV34HS4/Sony-KV-34HS420.html
Free to a good home. It's an old CRT only being used for retro gaming. Need it out the house ASAP. as i am upgrading to a 36 XBR non-widescreen tomorrow and well want this to go to a good home for a retrogamer.
This one right here.
Ob4EkFk.jpg

IrishNinja

EDIT: Did it! Its funny how a good RPG can actually evoke genuinely good feelings at times.

congrats teknos! your first time through, yeah? EB is one of those games that's overpriced but i just can't slander it cause i loved the shit out of it at launch, and replaying it last year on WU VC came to realize its uniqueness stands out even more for me now.

can't recommend 3 enough, as 16 said. whole different story - and a bit darker, too - but a fantastic game with a top-tier fan translation, plus you can buy a mock-up guide just like EB had for a great price. i'm actually playing the NES one (easy patch/translated) on a repro cart myself.

Teknoman

congrats teknos! your first time through, yeah? EB is one of those games that's overpriced but i just can't slander it cause i loved the shit out of it at launch, and replaying it last year on WU VC came to realize its uniqueness stands out even more for me now.

can't recommend 3 enough, as 16 said. whole different story - and a bit darker, too - but a fantastic game with a top-tier fan translation, plus you can buy a mock-up guide just like EB had for a great price. i'm actually playing the NES one (easy patch/translated) on a repro cart myself.

Yup, believe it or not, back in the day we rented it...and I really didnt "get it". My mom ended up playing it to completion, so I saw a few bosses here and there, but I never really played through the game myself until now.

I think I was turned off because you couldnt see the character fight? I'm sure if I would have rented the game in middle school or something, things would've been different. The music and marketing (scratch and sniff), and some of the enemies stuck in my mind though.

Snagged the mock up Mother 3 guide long ago when I got the repro, and you're right about the quality. Decided to wait and play Earthbound before going through Mother 3 though. Of course now I kinda want to wait and play the NES one before I finish the trilogy.

Leynos

Sony-KV-34HS420
Free to a good home. It's an old CRT only being used for retro gaming. Need it out the house ASAP. as i am upgrading to a 36 XBR non-widescreen tomorrow and well want this to go to a good home for a retrogamer.
This one right here.

Ob4EkFk.jpg

If I lived in the area, I'd jump all over that CRT. Even if I already have a KV-36XBR450.

IrishNinja

Of course now I kinda want to wait and play the NES one before I finish the trilogy.

ill say this for it, so far: if you've ever played Metal Gear 2 (MSX), you've seen the ton of stuff Kojima did in 2D and just did again when he could in MGS 1. it's like that, but only one gen apart...music is the same in parts, characters and plot seem very similar. it's different enough to be worth it but coming off of 2, i think it might be too same-y to get into that quickly, i'd give it time. 3 is entirely different.

Peagles

I'm still technically playing Mother (on GBA). I started it before I played through Earthbound but I'm really struggling with it, even with easy mode. I really want to finish it though, before I start Mother 3. I might have to start again though because I have no idea what I've done so far.

I wonder if Mother 3 will beat out Earthbound as my favourite...

Bar81

Sony-KV-34HS420
This one right here.

Ob4EkFk.jpg

I loved my old Wega's performance, did not love the discs that ejected from my spine trying to carry it into place/move it. Thank goodness for the XRGB-mini.

Teknoman

ill say this for it, so far: if you've ever played Metal Gear 2 (MSX), you've seen the ton of stuff Kojima did in 2D and just did again when he could in MGS 1. it's like that, but only one gen apart...music is the same in parts, characters and plot seem very similar. it's different enough to be worth it but coming off of 2, i think it might be too same-y to get into that quickly, i'd give it time. 3 is entirely different.

Good point. Thats one reason why I didnt jump right into MM3 after going through 1 and 2 back to back. It might be abit until I hit the series again either way, since i'm rotating through other systems / checking out RPG series that I literally have no experience with, but heard good things / game was cheap in the wild.

Right now i'm back to Turbo games with Legend of Heroes: Dragon Slayer.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Had the craziest dream last night.

I was Phoenix Wright and I raised up some evidence, tapped it with my hand, and explained it to the court. Then I slammed my hands on the desk, pointed menacingly at the defendant, yelled "fraud!," and the judge sentenced him to death. Then I bought Castlevania Dracula XX.

THAT WAS NO DREAM.

I've been meaning to buy Dracula XX for a looooooong time. I know it's not supposed to be as good as the PCE game (which I also have), but something about the game really speaks to me... between the visuals and the music, it all just seems right. Plus, I know the game's supposed to be brutally difficult. I like that. So yeah, I suspect it's a game that's been unfairly derided for not being the PC Engine game, but quite a few people seem to have really enjoyed it when judging the game on its own merits.

I bought the Japanese version, cuz when you die, Richter bleeds to death. #SWAG

Danny Dudekisser

I got mine for ¥950 last year. Cart only, but yeah that's all I feel comfortable spending on it, especially after the OG PCE version.

I figure that with the market the way it is, if I don't love it, I can probably flip it for a profit without too much issue. I guess that's the one upside to SNES prices these days.

Teknoman

It honestly doesnt seem that bad. Of course its no Rondo or Super, but I dont think are any bad 2D Castlevania console titles.

Also thats probably the best course of action at times. If anything you'll at least get what you paid back.

EDIT: I'm going to save that Phoenix hyper combo gif for the next time someone gets detective gaf'd so bad.

IrishNinja

I bought the Japanese version, cuz when you die, Richter bleeds to death. #SWAG

*bro-fist* that's the way to go! bought mine that way a year or two back, think it was like $50? again, importing Hagane, R-Type III and a few others felt good with the price difference at the time. plus as you said, it's uncensored!

Zing

Banned
I asked the same question years ago before I did my own research. The reason I asked is because the made in Mexico carts seemed to have lower quality labels, and why not buy the superior Japanese labels for your collection? In the end, it doesn't matter. The made in Mexico labels are of the same quality stock as Japan and were simply manufactured in Mexico under direct supervision by Nintendo. Many great games in 95/96 were made there (e.g. Secret of Evermore, DKC 2/3, Dracula X, Earthbound).

It is the later, licensed to Majesco productions that are greatly inferior. You can immediately detect these three ways: label says "assembled in Mexico", there is no rear label, and the manuals are not in colour.

I asked the same question years ago before I did my own research. The reason I asked is because the made in Mexico carts seemed to have lower quality labels, and why not buy the superior Japanese labels for your collection? In the end, it doesn't matter. The made in Mexico labels are of the same quality stock as Japan and were simply manufactured in Mexico under direct supervision by Nintendo. Many great games in 95/96 were made there (e.g. Secret of Evermore, DKC 2/3, Dracula X, Earthbound).

It is the later, licensed to Majesco productions that are greatly inferior. You can immediately detect these three ways: label says "assembled in Mexico", there is no rear label, and the manuals are not in colour.

This.

I didn't know about the differences between them and the Majesco stuff. I was confused as to why they actually had the back label while the cheap ass Majesco stuff didn't. I knew Dracula X was only made in Mexico, didn't realize CT was the same until seeing it in store yesterday.

oh man, i could swear my copy of Bloodlines in the day was a majesco release, then.

Well, was it in a cardboard case? Bloodlines is one of those Genesis games that had both clamshell and cardboard variants. The clamshell one came with a color cover manual (but the contents inside were still black and white).

Contra Hard Corps was another one of those.

The first Earthworm Jim as well. There were plenty.
One of the stranger ones is the late re-release Road Rash II in a cardboard case and a regular licensed Genesis cartridge instead of one of those EA ones. Apparently Sonic 2 has a cardboard variant but that's kinda rare. I've never seen that one in person.

Cardboard Genesis boxes are the fucking worst. I don't care about SNES boxes since they were all cardboard, but since most Genesis games were in everlasting plastic boxes I want them.

LostAnkh

Cardboard Genesis boxes are the fucking worst. I don't care about SNES boxes since they were all cardboard, but since most Genesis games were in everlasting plastic boxes I want them.
My copy of "Adventures of Batman & Robin" is just sitting up on the shelf with no case, as well as my NES & SNES games. It makes me sad to know that Comix Zone will suffer the same fate when I get it. :(

I'm so proud to own this though:
lajvLaDl.jpg

Danny Dudekisser

Eh, but even those didn't have much uniformity to them. The spines were all diffferent. I really need to just make my own custom cases for all my cart games.

Eh, but even those didn't have much uniformity to them. The spines were all diffferent. I really need to just make my own custom cases for all my cart games.

Do you mean SNES boxes aren't uniform? I meant I don't care as in, literally I don't give a fuck about them. I don't have any or want any boxed SNES games. But, because Genesis boxes were actually functional and built to last, I want them. But, cardboard Genesis stuff fucks that up.

Danny Dudekisser

Do you mean SNES boxes aren't uniform? I meant I don't care as in, literally I don't give a fuck about them. I don't have any or want any boxed SNES games. But, because Genesis boxes were actually functional and built to last, I want them. But, cardboard Genesis stuff fucks that up.

Nah, i mean the Genesis boxes. It feels like they kept switching up the design.

Nah, i mean the Genesis boxes. It feels like they kept switching up the design.

Some publishers had their own special cases, but most were about the same, I think. Some had different logos inside of the cases next to the cartridges, though.

I don't think I could ever buy a SNES game without the box... :(

I don't have any problems with cardboard Genesis boxes, but the plastic ones are definitely wayyyyyyy better, and I wish every game came in them, but hey, there's nothing that can be done about that...besides making your own, of course.

I don't think I could ever buy a SNES game without the box... :(

I play the shit out of my stuff, so cardboard boxes just aren't that practical. There's also the price issue, obviously.

Don't get me wrong, I think boxed stuff is fucking awesome looking. HaL64 has a walk in closet that is getting pretty full of boxed shit that is just about one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. I love looking at it, but literally have zero interest in having any of it for myself.

I think Chac is talking about the spines. Around 1993 they all started going red.

Well, that is a thing, yeah. I prefer the older black with lines design myself.

I play the shit out of my stuff, so cardboard boxes just aren't that practical. There's also the price issue, obviously.

Don't get me wrong, I think boxed stuff is fucking awesome looking. HaL64 has a walk in closet that is getting pretty full of boxed shit that is just about one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. I love looking at it, but literally have zero interest in having any of it for myself.

Sometimes, I wish I could go ahead and just buy loose SNES games, but...I just can't. The only loose SNES games I have are some games that my friend gave me in some N64 cartridge holder.

Good thing for me that I already have most of the SNES games I wanted, anyway.

I'm with you. Instead of paying a fortune for some flimsy cardboard, I can get more games, and awesome UGC's to put them in that are a fraction of the price and 10x the function

HaL64

I'm with you. Instead of paying a fortune for some flimsy cardboard, I can get more games, and awesome UGC's to put them in that are a fraction of the price and 10x the function

I keep the games I want to play outside of the boxes and put them in a storage rack near my SNES. Then I put them back in the boxes when I'm done, very carefully, probably never to open again. I have squished a manual doing that though. So put the manuals in baggies now.
It is ridiculous.
It's all about the art. And I mean that in the snobbiest way possible.

IrishNinja

+1 to UGC camp, was trying to print out high-quality covers for my NES, SNES & N64 collection but there's so freaking many and kinkos wanted like 59c a sheet, trying to see if i can find a better deal elsewhere at the moment!

Top Bottom