• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Teknoman

Still on SCIV, people can say what they want about Nintendo being kiddy, but damn if this isnt the only Castlevania game thats legitimately creepy. From the music style (which still manages to be catchy yet somewhat orchestral...if i'm using that in the right way) to the general color scheme and design of the environments. Its certainly more realistic than most Castlevania games.

I know the English version was censored compared to the Japanese version ( i'm playing the JP version since I got it for cheap long ago) but I cant see it being so censored to where the overall design didnt stand out.

j7pAkKUm8oW1f.jpg

jbqjqdJ0ol8IBv.jpg

IrishNinja

HELP!

I had picked up LttP about a month ago. Just got around to playing it and it would not start. So I did the classic Qtip/windex cleaning. Was sooo dirty, took 3 tips to clean. After it still would not work.

It appears it cannot be taken apart either, screws look molded over or something. Is this just a bricked copy now?

Edit- Just looked under light, still very dirty. As well one of the contact pins is missing, is it ruined?

sucks if the screw isn't coming out, but if alcohol ain't cutting it, move on to brasso - use sparingly where needed, and good luck! you got nothing left to lose anyway, haha.

Teknoman

I have once again vanquished the night.

jKHAA3LMaMCKL.jpg

One of the best, if not THE best entry in the Castlevania series. This game does everything right, from the gradually increasing feelings of foreboding exuded from the art style and soundtrack, to the general challenge of the game. Not too easy, but never too frustrating. It would be great if future modern entries would draw inspiration from IV, especially it's attention to background detail as well as soundtrack composition style. Super Castlevania IV truly deserves all its praise.

HELP!

I had picked up LttP about a month ago. Just got around to playing it and it would not start. So I did the classic Qtip/windex cleaning. Was sooo dirty, took 3 tips to clean. After it still would not work.

It appears it cannot be taken apart either, screws look molded over or something. Is this just a bricked copy now?

Edit- Just looked under light, still very dirty. As well one of the contact pins is missing, is it ruined?

A contact missing? The fuck? I can't imagine not being able to get a cart open. Can you post pictures of the screws? And the contacts.

Mzo

One of the best, if not THE best entry in the Castlevania series. This game does everything right, from the gradually increasing feelings of foreboding exuded from the art style and soundtrack, to the general challenge of the game. Not too easy, but never too frustrating. It would be great if future modern entries would draw inspiration from IV, especially it's attention to background detail as well as soundtrack composition style. Super Castlevania IV truly deserves all its praise.

It's a really good game! I still think it's about half as good as Rondo.

Timu

jKHAA3LMaMCKL.jpg

It will be my duty to get this game one day...I wasn't into Castlevania until recently.

It will be my duty to get this game one day...I wasn't into Castlevania until recently.

It is so good. It was the first SNES game I remember being blown away by as a kid. Went to a friends cousins house and he was playing it (while I was still rocking my regular NES and Simon's Quest). My mind was fucking blown by the graphics and music. He had Soul Blazer also. I can still vividly remember sitting there watching him play those both and just dying to own a SNES.

mltplkxr

HELP!

If you want to see what the PCB (+contacts) should look like, you can see it there:
http://www.snescentral.com/article.php?id=0164
just pick the one corresponding to the release you have.

I think if one of the contacts is missing he's SOL regardless of how clean it is.

I have a copy of Adventure Island for NES where the circuit board is chipped in one corner. Part of a connector is missing but it still works!

Speaking of Soul Blazer, that game rocked. Illusion of Gaia was a real letdown after playing SB.

No way! Haha. Illusion of Gaia is one of my favorite SNES games. I do love Soul Blazer as well, though. When I was a kid I had no idea they were somewhat related. I just remember some TV show reviewing Gaia and just falling in love with the graphics immediately. Came out at the start of September, I turned 9 at the end of the month and immediately went out with my birthday money and got it. I wore the shirt that came with it so much that I wore through it.

Sad story, at some point I lost my copy of Soul Blazer. I got it for $15 from a local place a couple years ago like as soon as I started collecting. We were staying at my parents house while my wife interned in the area at the time, so I'm guessing I lost it during the move out of there. Sucks since it's a $50 game these days and I haven't run across it in the wild once since.

mltplkxr

I share your opinion and have always found it odd that most people tend to hate on Soul Blazer and love Illusion of Gaia/Time.
Terranigma is better then both of them.

The story of Illusion of Gaia reached me more than most games ever did. I don't know why. It's not that much better than any other. Maybe it's a combination of the music, pacing, and visiting ancient cities of the world thoughout time. I should give Soul Blazer a second chance. Don't remember much about that one.

I share your opinion and have always found it odd that most people tend to hate on Soul Blazer and love Illusion of Gaia/Time.
Terranigma is better then both of them.

On a mechanic level, I found Soul Blazer much more fun to play than Illusion of Gaia. Walk speed was perfect in SB, whereas I felt it was a little too slow in Illusion of Gaia (and the run was too fast). The character sprites in IoG felt a little too large and had ambiguous hitboxes. More importantly, the crabwalk in SB was so satisfying. It was a shame they didn't include it in IoG.

I read in an old GameFAN article that Enix USA mandated Quintet eschew simulation elements and make the Actraiser sequel a pure action game due to market trends. It wouldn't surprise me if they also saw the rise of the RPG and told the team to make Illusion of Gaia more of a role playing game. Both SB and IoG are linear games, but it felt like IoG took control away from the player a little too often for long, drawn out story scenes or mode 7 map sequences that don't require any user input.

As far as the plot goes, most people who love IoG's story played the game in their youth. I played Gaia as an adult and it didn't really connect with me in a way it did with most fans. Not to detract from the impact it may have had on people, I just felt it was cliche and predictable.

Haven't tried Terranigma yet, but I'd love to play it.

The story of Illusion of Gaia reached me more than most games ever did. I don't know why. It's not that much better than any other. Maybe it's a combination of the music, pacing, and visiting ancient cities of the world thoughout time. I should give Soul Blazer a second chance. Don't remember much about that one.

It is a much more story narrated game and focused a lot more on that aspect, fully cutting out other parts of the game to make way for it. Like sixteen-bit said after you;

Both SB and IoG are linear games, but it felt like IoG took control away from the player a little too often for long, drawn out story scenes or mode 7 map sequences that don't require any user input.

Illusion followed the story around and didn't really let you do anything other then that. Not that that is a good or bad thing, just a reason why it is so much easier to have focused on the story of it then other games of the time.

Celine

On a mechanic level, I found Soul Blazer much more fun to play than Illusion of Gaia. Walk speed was perfect in SB, whereas I felt it was a little too slow in Illusion of Gaia (and the run was too fast). The character sprites in IoG felt a little too large and had ambiguous hitboxes. More importantly, the crabwalk in SB was so satisfying. It was a shame they didn't include it in IoG.

I read in an old GameFAN article that Enix USA mandated Quintet eschew simulation elements and make the Actraiser sequel a pure action game due to market trends. It wouldn't surprise me if they also saw the rise of the RPG and told the team to make Illusion of Gaia more of a role playing game. Both SB and IoG are linear games, but it felt like IoG took control away from the player a little too often for long, drawn out story scenes or mode 7 map sequences that don't require any user input.

As far as the plot goes, most people who love IoG's story played the game in their youth. I played Gaia as an adult and it didn't really connect with me in a way it did with most fans. Not to detract from the impact it may have had on people, I just felt it was cliche and predictable.

Haven't tried Terranigma yet, but I'd love to play it.
SB is a more methodical game and the rewards (in the form of new creation on the surface) were constant throughout the game very satisfying game despite the simplicity).
It was less focused on the story although a few dialogues, in the context of a SNES RPG are pure genius.

On the other hand IoG rewards were the story sequences that admittedly can look corny these days (
the pig sacrifice for instance is a non-sense
).
That said certain moment of the story were so powerful to be relevant even today IMO (I've played the game for the first time when I was an adult, same goes for SB).
For example
how it was described the extinction of the Inca tribe or the revelation that the fantasy world where your heroes were living was actually our earth through a "mode 7" fly over skyscrapers of a modern large city
and that in itself is a great accomplishment.
I also liked transforming into Freedan.

Terranigma is a masterpiece :)

Was Saturday Night Slammasters any good? I rented it once, but cant remember.
If you're just looking to press buttons, it's okay. It's 4 players, so if you have a multitap and friends it can be a nice distraction from other games, but I don't feel like it's deep enough or rewarding to play for more than a few matches on the rare occasion I'm in the mood for it. The arcade version got an update/sequel that addressed some of the gameplay issues, but that never made it to consoles.

Trevelyon

Any recommendations on decent controller(s) (likely going for a replacement, not original model) for the SNES. Recommended eBay'ers, general net vendors, companies, ect. Looking for high quality makes but not wallet burning exorbitant, the Chinese knock-offs aren't doing much for me.

Also, going to apply that to N64/GENESIS as I'm looking for controllers for them too.

Any recommendations on decent controller(s) (likely going for a replacement, not original model) for the SNES. Recommended eBay'ers, general net vendors, companies, ect. Looking for high quality makes but not wallet burning exorbitant, the Chinese knock-offs aren't doing much for me.

Also, going to apply that to N64/GENESIS as I'm looking for controllers for them too.

This is the controller you want! It's like the original model, only better. Never liked the original, but this thing is awesome.

^Yep

The Asciipad is great. It's officially licensed too, and even carried the Super Famicom name and branding in Japan.

It also has celebrity endorsements

IZqnyxM.jpg

(James and Dave Franco)

IrishNinja

guy on another forum offering to trade my nice SNES for his 1chip...thought about it a bit, Mzo used FF VI's title screen to show me the vertical line on mine (i think it's pretty subtle) and after reading about some of the random graphic glitches for said 1chip & the game genie incompatibility, think i'm gonna pass

guy on another forum offering to trade my nice SNES for his 1chip...thought about it a bit, Mzo used FF VI's title screen to show me the vertical line on mine (i think it's pretty subtle) and after reading about some of the random graphic glitches for said 1chip & the game genie incompatibility, think i'm gonna pass

Isn't there some way to remove the white line? Like modding in a signal booster at one point and skipping over something else? Think I read about that when searching for ways to fix the line, just haven't looked too deep into it yet.

Het_Nkik

Is there a picture of the vertical line in this thread somewhere? The last two SNES's I've had have had this faint vertical strip that's a little off-center on the screen. Both SNES's had it. Both in the exact same spot. Which made me think it was my s-video cable but the vertical strip doesn't appear with that same cable when used with my N64 or GameCube.

Can't figure out what's causing it.

Is there a picture of the vertical line in this thread somewhere? The last two SNES's I've had have had this faint vertical strip that's a little off-center on the screen. Both SNES's had it. Both in the exact same spot. Which made me think it was my s-video cable but the vertical strip doesn't appear with that same cable when used with my N64 or GameCube.

Can't figure out what's causing it.

Here is some info on it, and a proposed fix for it

Can also google "Snes vertical line" and get some more pictures of it I'm sure.

Het_Nkik

Here is some info on it, and a proposed fix for it

Can also google "Snes vertical line" and get some more pictures of it I'm sure.

Hm, didn't even know it was that big a thing. I never remember seeing the line as a kid (though I guess back then I had stuff hooked up through coaxial to a shitty TV) and I mentioned it to some peeps recently and they didn't know what I was talking about.

Looks like that fix is only for 1chip SNES's (I don't even know what that is, gonna look that up) and SNES minis.

Hm, didn't even know it was that big a thing. I never remember seeing the line as a kid (though I guess back then I had stuff hooked up through coaxial to a shitty TV) and I mentioned it to some peeps recently and they didn't know what I was talking about.

Looks like that fix is only for 1chip SNES's (I don't even know what that is, gonna look that up) and SNES minis.

I'm pretty sure that I've seen people mention that bypassing the amp works for non 1chip systems as well, but can't make that claim for sure since it is just second hand knowledge of other things I have read.

inner-G

Banned
The line is bogus.

Even on my CRT, I'm playing most stiff on VC Wii now over components.

I can even use real SFC/SNES controllers with an adapter.

It just looks and sounds sooo much cleaner than SNES output, and feels the same to me since I have the real controller and CRT.

So, question - need to transfer some saves while exchanging batteries, and, in the process, found out that SNES Flash Carts exist.

Call me naive, but I had no idea they even existed. I'm looking to create backup versions for all my games now, but which of the carts is the best one to use for that process? Is there even really a "best"? I'd love to be able to just play games on the cart, but I'm unsure how legitimate these could be.

Call me shocked. It would be great to transfer my JP Terranigma to the cart, apply the English patch, and actually enjoy the game without needing to resort to a JP > EN dictionary every few words.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
With the SNES in particular, there are differences between flash carts in terms of what specialty chips they support. Certain games that use certain chips only work on certain flash carts. I think the SD2SNES currently boasts the best compatibility, but it's also considerably more expensive than other options.

With the SNES in particular, there are differences between flash carts in terms of what specialty chips they support. Certain games that use certain chips only work on certain flash carts. I think the SD2SNES currently boasts the best compatibility, but it's also considerably more expensive than other options.

Good to know. I've been researching a bit, and that appears to be the case - that particular cartridge is crazy expensive. I never would have guessed the price would be that high for it, though it makes sense considering capability.

Cheers. Still can't believe I didn't know about this.

Gunsmithx

You could just grab another snes for thise moments, I have like 3 spare remember :p

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I have a SNES Jr. and it's really awesome, but I've been having some issues lately where games don't always boot right away. I am going to go through and clean my games I think, but is it worth getting a cleaning kit to clean the cartridge slot? How do the Nintendo branded ones even work?

It's just piece of felt(?) that is shaped like the pins of a regular cartridge. You shove it in the slot and it brushes the connecting pins inside the console. I usually soak it in a bit of alcohol before doing that. Some people prefer covering a credit card (or something similar) in a microfiber cloth instead

Jinto

I have a SNES Jr. and it's really awesome, but I've been having some issues lately where games don't always boot right away. I am going to go through and clean my games I think, but is it worth getting a cleaning kit to clean the cartridge slot? How do the Nintendo branded ones even work?

I actually just fixed a similar problem I had with my SNES. Games wouldn't boot up right away and I would just get a black screen with no sound.

All you need is one of your SNES carts, Q-Tips, and some rubbing alcohol. I used one with 99% Isopropyl alcohol. You can buy them at any pharmacy.

1. Dip the Q-Tip in the alcohol then scrub the metal contacts in your cart until it's clean. Keep using new Q-Tips until they don't come out dirty anymore.
2. With the contacts still damp, slide your cartridge into the slot then take it out. Repeat this step a few times.
3. Clean the cart again.
3. Repeat steps 1-3 until you're sure both are clean.

fester

Banned
I'm trying to understand a world in which 3 used video games can be "graded" by a questionable third party, then attempted to be sold for nearly $5000.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Final-Fantasy-II-III-Mystic-Quest-Super-Nintendo-SNES-VGA-Q85-Q90-Q90-/131262426652?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item1e8fd9ae1c

I can sort of understand the thought behind wanting to preserve a piece of culture, but I don't see this situation really serving that goal. Do any other forms of media reach this level of absurdity? Years ago I thought baseball card collecting was reach high levels of crazy, but the rug got pulled out eventually. I'm hoping this whole market crashes and burns because in the end I'd rather see these games enjoyed by playing them rather than sitting on a shelf as an "investment."

Teknoman

I'm trying to understand a world in which 3 used video games can be "graded" by a questionable third party, then attempted to be sold for nearly $5000.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Final-Fantasy-II-III-Mystic-Quest-Super-Nintendo-SNES-VGA-Q85-Q90-Q90-/131262426652?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item1e8fd9ae1c

I can sort of understand the thought behind wanting to preserve a piece of culture, but I don't see this situation really serving that goal. Do any other forms of media reach this level of absurdity? Years ago I thought baseball card collecting was reach high levels of crazy, but the rug got pulled out eventually. I'm hoping this whole market crashes and burns because in the end I'd rather see these games enjoyed by playing them rather than sitting on a shelf as an "investment."

I can understand severely underproduced games going for a bunch of cash...but the whole VGA grading thing is just pointless. Especially sealing them in plastic cases.

jKHAA3LMaMCKL.jpg

Enough good things can't be said about Castlevania IV. It's a nearly perfect game. And the relatively short length makes it perfect for an evening run-though.

Top Bottom