• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

The only Castlevania I've properly played was the first game and a little Super Castlevania IV.

Has anyone here actually beat Dracula? I got to his second form but he kicked my ass.

Are these games generally hard as hell? Do you complete them before continuing to the next?

Mzo

Has anyone here actually beat Dracula? I got to his second form but he kicked my ass.

Are these games generally hard as hell? Do you complete them before continuing to the next?

Yes, I've beaten every CV game I've played so far, which includes NES CV 1 through 3, 4, Bloodlines, and PCE Rondo.

The first and third NES games are probably the hardest. I thought 4 and Rondo were really easy.

Teknoman

Apart from Castlevania, Nosferatu, Musya, Zombies ate my neighbors, Demon's Crest, SG&G, and that King of Demons game, are there any other good/decent horror tinged titles for the SNES?

EDIT: SCIV 2nd form Dracula was really easy. Almost too easy. The stage obstacles were harder than the bosses in this one.

Is Dracula XX really all that bad? I mean it seems like standard fare to me (only played enough to make sure the cart worked).

IrishNinja

man i wanna play SNES clock tower one day

Yes, I've beaten every CV game I've played so far, which includes NES CV 1 through 3, 4, Bloodlines, and PCE Rondo.

The first and third NES games are probably the hardest. I thought 4 and Rondo were really easy.

but can you beat that arcade one you got the PS2 port for?

Just went over to a get-together at a friends' house. While we're playing drinking games in the garage I notice a box with an NES sticking out on one of the shelves. So of course I go and grab it and browse through the contents. There's a NES, a SNES, Mario 3, and about 10 SNES games. And what do I find... but a mint condition Demon's Crest + manual. Of course, I can never find something like that in the wild for sale. So I tell my friend to feel free to eBay said title, and then spend the rest of the night sulking (in my mind)

Timu

Just went over to a get-together at a friends' house. While we're playing drinking games in the garage I notice a box with an NES sticking out on one of the shelves. So of course I go and grab it and browse through the contents. There's a NES, a SNES, Mario 3, and about 10 SNES games. And what do I find... but a mint condition Demon's Crest + manual. Of course, I can never find something like that in the wild for sale. So I tell my friend to feel free to eBay said title, and then spend the rest of the night sulking (in my mind)
Dat luck!!!o_O

The only Castlevania I've properly played was the first game and a little Super Castlevania IV.

Castlevania was Dark Souls before Dark Souls. :D

My favorite, and pick for best Castlevania is Castlevania III - Dracula's Curse.

mltplkxr

Apart from Castlevania, Nosferatu, Musya, Zombies ate my neighbors, Demon's Crest, SG&G, and that King of Demons game, are there any other good/decent horror tinged titles for the SNES?

In SOS, the game takes place on a sinking ship.

Nosferatu looks pretty cool. Kinda regret skipping that one.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
You're a better man than I. I would certainly have attempted to acquire it. I would have made light that it was valuable, of course (I'm not scum), but I think in the absense of an obsession over SNES prices, I could grab it for something less than market value. A lot of people who don't obsess over the SNES games in their possession, or the going rate on eBay, could be swayed by a couple cases of beer and a handful of dollar bills...

fig,asphalt,mens,ffffff.jpg

lol

The SNES saw a "semi sequel" which was just kind of a half assed remix of Rondo of Blood. In Japan, it was named Dracula XX. According to some wiki page, "Castlevania: Dracula X is considered to take place in a different universe than the official Castlevania timeline." A shitty universe that nobody should ever visit. Way to go, guys. Explain this turd away with the old "other universe" thing.

You can't play as Maria.

There are only two "alternate levels."

They increased the difficulty. Probably so that you would just give up and not see the rest of the "game."

There are fewer frames of animation everywhere.

Shaft isn't even in it.

The end Dracula battle is fucking insanity.

Tiles repeat everywhere, and the levels are bland corridors.

No CD sound.

Oh but hey! On the plus side, those flames in that first level are pretty dope, right? Totally worth the premium it fetches over the PCE game on eBay.
I beat this stupid fight. I don't how but I did it. And it wasn't worth it.

Hmm, I kind of want to make Dracula X my next playthrough after all the talk I've heard about Dracula being so difficult. I guess I'm a masochist like that.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
I think Dracula X/Vampire's Kiss is an ok game, judged on its on merits. It's not as good as the other Castlevania games of it's era, and definitely pales in comparison to Rondo of Blood, but it still has some redeeming qualities.

Mercutio

Hmm, I kind of want to make Dracula X my next playthrough after all the talk I've heard about Dracula being so difficult. I guess I'm a masochist like that.

I think my main beef isn't that it has hard parts... more that you never feel any sense of accomplishment for anything you do in it. It's a terribly unrewarding game, which is the most drastic difference from the PCE version, which constantly rewards you for both curiosity and skill.

Mzo

You: Hey, this is hard to find now! I've been dying to play this. Would you sell it to me at a reasonable price that is much lower than ripoff resellers on eBay?

Any real friend that cares about you: Yes.

It's happened to me on occasion. Nothing wrong with friends hooking you up.

I actually do have Demon's Crest already. I guess that was misleading. What was frustrating is that is the sort of score I've always wanted to find at a garage sale or thrift store. No point in trying to get it cheap from him so I can then turn around and sell it myself.

I actually do have Demon's Crest already. I guess that was misleading. What was frustrating is that is the sort of score I've always wanted to find at a garage sale or thrift store. No point in trying to get it cheap from him so I can then turn around and sell it myself.

Makes a lot more sense now. Though now I guess it means you were sad that you didn't just find money and not sad that you can never find good games randomly that you want to play.

Wait what? No, if I was in in for money I would of tried to buy it from him. I have DREAMS (literally) about finding awesome rare games in the wild to add to my collection. This was the closest that has come to actually happening

Though funnily enough I was in a different friend's garage today, and found a box that had Monster-In-My-Pocket and Turtles III. I do plan on trying to work out something with him to get those.

IrishNinja

been looking into Super Everdrive vs SD2SNES, and ive seen the compatibility list but does anyone else have a more thorough review/compare & contrast? curious about speed and any other differences.

smbu2000

I've mainly been picking up cart only games lately,(like Final Fight 2, Goemon, Ebisumaru, Sailor Moon Super S, Tactics Ogre, etc...) but I found these recently.

Rockman X2 is missing the manual and the box is pretty beat up, but it was only 1,000 yen. Rockman X3 was at the same second hand store, includes the box (in decent condition) and the manual. Inside the manual were these Rockman cards as well. It was a bit more expensive at 3,500 yen, but still pretty good for CIB. All of the cartridges themselves are in very good condition as well. (Probably were stored in their boxes this whole time.) Now I just need to pick up X1 and a manual for X2 if I can find one.

Super Mario RPG is in excellent condition, and is like new. The box is really great and the cart itself is very nice. (It's only missing the coupon advertised on the box.) I found this for only 700 yen, a great price.

(Sorry for the bad pic quality, had to use my phone as my gf has my camera at the moment.)

Yeah, I m also in the "SCV4>Bloodlines" camp.

Me too, Bloodlines is still a great game, but it's probably my least favorite of the 16-bit Castlevanias.

I continually struggle between SCV4 and Rondo of Blood however, concerning which I like more. I find lately that if I want a quick Castlevania fix, I'm more likely to drift towards Rondo. However, I don't know if that's because I like it more, or because I played SCV4 so much as a kid, and I didn't get to play Rondo until I was an adult, so maybe I'm just less exhausted on it.

Yasawas

I've mainly been picking up cart only games lately,(like Final Fight 2, Goemon, Ebisumaru, Sailor Moon Super S, Tactics Ogre, etc...) but I found these recently.

Rockman X2 is missing the manual and the box is pretty beat up, but it was only 1,000 yen. Rockman X3 was at the same second hand store, includes the box (in decent condition) and the manual. Inside the manual were these Rockman cards as well. It was a bit more expensive at 3,500 yen, but still pretty good for CIB. All of the cartridges themselves are in very good condition as well. (Probably were stored in their boxes this whole time.) Now I just need to pick up X1 and a manual for X2 if I can find one.

Holy shit I just bought those exact two games CIB myself! You seem to have done well there. Mine won't be here for weeks and I'll get fucked by customs but it'll be nice to complete the Super Famicom X collection and I paid a fair bit below eBay average so I'm happy enough.

Are MM7 or Rockman & Forte any good? I know the second at least is crazy expensive so I'll probably never get it but you never know your luck.

Super Mario RPG is in excellent condition, and is like new. The box is really great and the cart itself is very nice. (It's only missing the coupon advertised on the box.) I found this for only 700 yen, a great price.

(Sorry for the bad pic quality, had to use my phone as my gf has my camera at the moment.)
700 yen? Isn't that practically peanuts for Mario RPG which is considered pretty rare? I think...

Good buy.

Rich!

Most Super Famicom games are dirt cheap compared to their American counterparts.

Yeah

I got Kirby Super Deluxe, Super Mario Kart and Yoshis Island for about a tenner all together as jp. And the language isnt an issue

Would have been five times that amount at least for the ntsc u versions

BocoDragon

My Japanese copy of Chrono Trigger cost me $6 shipped from Japan. Not bad for a game I'll never be able to play.
I got Final Fantasy V and VI boxed for $5 apiece.

It's hilarious to compare how much boxed North American versions would be.

Mercutio

I got Final Fantasy V and VI boxed for $5 apiece.

It's hilarious to compare how much boxed North American versions would be.

I can't figure out how genuinely rare some of the SNES RPGs are. It just seems like there's always been a history of not enough copies around, but I dunno.

IrishNinja

ehhh i don't think rarity has as much to do with it; didn't most print in the 6 digit figure range? there's demand, no doubt - but the price of a loose chrono trigger for instance is stupid

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
ehhh i don't think rarity has as much to do with it; didn't most print in the 6 digit figure range? there's demand, no doubt - but the price of a loose chrono trigger for instance is stupid
It's weird to see the CT prices creep back up. I bought it years back after balking at $60 prices for years (and missing out on a $10 copy from an acquaintance) along with FF3 for like $45 or $50 shipped. They're so stupid now I'm glad I have it.

On the other hand I had a hell of a time trying to sell my copy of Ogre Battle for $40 a couple years ago. Whoops. :(

BocoDragon

I can't figure out how genuinely rare some of the SNES RPGs are. It just seems like there's always been a history of not enough copies around, but I dunno.

There were definitely more copies in Japan for most of those games (kind of unthinkable now when games like FF sell the bulk of their copies overseas).

And you have the fact that the Japanese don't have the space to hoard collections, so there is much more of a culture of selling back used stuff when finished. And culturally they take better care of their stuff too.

So nice minty copies are easy to find for cheap.

Plus I just have this feeling like the western retro scene is dominated by zealous collectors who are in a "scarcity mindset", and they drive prices up beyond what they probably should be.

Plus I just have this feeling like the western retro scene is dominated by zealous collectors who are in a "scarcity mindset", and they drive prices up beyond what they probably should be.

I can never decide if this is just a price bubble that will eventually go away or if limited supply of these games will keep the price high permanently.

IrishNinja

I can never decide if this is just a price bubble that will eventually go away or if limited supply of these games will keep the price high permanently.

see and that very fear is what drives the bubble: people that sat on $100+ games for like the last decade see fools paying $200-300 and start saying "oh shit maybe i should bite before it's $500" and the cycle continues, this is literally how i believe it perpetuates

This is part of it, I see resellers justify their prices by saying 'these games are getting more rare every year' when talking about mass produced carts in the 100s of thousands or millions.

Then you have the 'yuppy instant collectors' escalating price inflation, feeding the resellers that scour every potential source of appropriately priced cheap games to flip to the instant collectors.

The common mindset last year was that once the gen 8 console dropped, newcomers driving the prices up would peace out. That obviously hasn't happened so maybe it's not a bubble, lol.

Top Bottom