• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

-KRS-

I've never used EMS. I always pick the cheapest shipping option lol. Usually the games will take about a week to get to me which in my opinion is definitely fast enough. And knock on wood but so far I haven't had any lost packages.

Timu

I read it sometimes takes 2-4 weeks for a package to get to your location with free shipping, or SAL...EMS all the way, rather get my stuff within a week, and besides, certain Japanese sellers don't overcharge much with EMS.

Actually it's true because when my bro imports from Japan it seems some items take over 2 weeks to get to my house with free shipping.=O

Lettuce

So this turned up today....

atKFerT.jpg

Only took almost 11 months

-KRS-

I read it sometimes takes 2-4 weeks for a package to get to your location with free shipping, or SAL...EMS all the way, rather get my stuff within a week, and besides, certain Japanese sellers don't overcharge much with EMS.

Actually it's true because when my bro imports from Japan it seems some items take over 2 weeks to get to my house with free shipping.=O

Sometimes it has taken 2 weeks for a package to get to me, but it's usually more like 10 days at the most. I'm not in a hurry though so I don't mind. 4 weeks sounds pretty terrible though. I guess it depends on where you live.

I've never used EMS. I always pick the cheapest shipping option lol. Usually the games will take about a week to get to me which in my opinion is definitely fast enough. And knock on wood but so far I haven't had any lost packages.
I had a Famicom Disk System that never came when it was shipped via SAL. After about a month, I told the seller, and they rushed one out EMS at no charge; I couldn't believe it. Pretty much guaranteed I'd never use SAL for anything over $50 ever again.

I had a Famicom Disk System that never came when it was shipped via SAL. After about a month, I told the seller, and they rushed one out EMS at no charge; I couldn't believe it. Pretty much guaranteed I'd never use SAL for anything over $50 ever again.

oh shit, seller went above and beyond the call of duty to make it right

If the seller is a store, you should plug them.

If you don't' mind, what was the good price? Personally most of these games, even the ones I want to get a copy of are just way too much for me even at 'good' prices. Makes me sad.

Sorry, I didn't see your post.

I paid 120 for Evo.

Edit: Canadian.

How about knowing that every game you really want now for the system is that high overpriced and is only going to get worse.

Yeah, tell me about it. Evo was in the top 3 or so of 'carts I really want to own, dammit', so I sort of resigned myself to the fact that I either take this sort of pricing or I don't end up with the thing.

SKINNER!

Banned
It's strange. I've wanted an EVO cart for years and years, and finally snagged one for a good price, but once you realize what that price actually is, it really hits home just how bad the market is right now. Holy shit hats.

A complete boxed copy of Chrono Trigger sold for £130...

The box wasn't even in mint condition.

:'(

and even if I manage to find it at a reasonable price between £70 and £90...that's still insanely high when you take a step back and look at it.

I used to laugh at folk who set these crazy prices as Buy it Nows 5/6 years ago...I guess I don't have the last laugh anymore.

How about knowing that every game you really want now for the system is that high overpriced and is only going to get worse.

Will it? Earlier this year I spoke to a few collectors who were certain that a retro video game crash is inevitable. Not that I'm taking their side on this as I - too - can't believe that something that's limited in quantity will eventually crash in price but they insisted that people who buy (especially sealed) games as an investment are making a huge mistake.

SKINNER!

Banned
But so far I don't think anything is pointing towards that. Not sure why they would think that. =/

Same. They were basing their prediction on what happened with baseball cards and comic book collecting...I have no knowledge about comic books and baseball cards so maybe they were pulling my leg wanting me to quit persuing my passion of playing retro games :p But hey, it's still interesting to hear what they have to say.

lazygecko

God I hope so. But so far I don't think anything is pointing towards that. Not sure why they would think that. =/

I read speculation about the prices inflating much further when the movie based on Console Wars is out and makes retro consoles trendy.

The comic industry crash isn't quite comparable... I don't know what happened to the prices of actual vintage comic issues but I'm pretty sure they are still quite valuable. What happened there is that the comic publishers started to artificially bait investors by relaunching a bunch of comics as #1 again, and printed them en masse which pretty much missed the whole point of supply and demand.

Will it? Earlier this year I spoke to a few collectors who were certain that a retro video game crash is inevitable. Not that I'm taking their side on this as I - too - can't believe that something that's limited in quantity will eventually crash in price but they insisted that people who buy (especially sealed) games as an investment are making a huge mistake.
Same. They were basing their prediction on what happened with baseball cards and comic book collecting...I have no knowledge about comic books and baseball cards so maybe they were pulling my leg wanting me to quit persuing my passion of playing retro games :p But hey, it's still interesting to hear what they have to say.

Baseball and comic collecting is a different situation and had a different kind of crash. People decided to buy cases of modern comics that were being released as "special editions" or just boxes of number 1s of any series as investments after seeing/hearing how much the older stuff sold for. All encouraged by the makers of said comics. The comics and cards that were rare and old still are worth a ton, hell a copy of Action Comics #1 just sold for over 3 million on ebay.

So yeah, people buying new sealed copies of games now thinking they are going to be worth bank in 20 years may be out of luck. This isn't really what resellers of retro games are doing now though. There are people that want to play or just to own games that have a limited amount of numbers to them, and for a lot of them there may not be any other way to play those games. It is a hopeful dream of enthusiasts that just want to be able to enjoy those games that the prices will lower again across the board. Especially considering that the majority of people that own these games now either bought them just to make money off them, so have no interest in seeing prices lower, or bought them secondhand from people for a higher price, so wouldn't want to sell them for a loss/just want to keep them.

The only time I have seen prices lower was when a game that was previously unavailable in any other format become available, or when the hype was artificially increased by word of mouth. For the second one it is more normal for the game to just stay at the higher price though since again, with limited quantities, resellers can just price fix. I would love to be wrong. I don't even care if I end up paying more then something ends up being worth years later if I am wrong, since I am one of those black holes for games that once I get something I never plan on reselling it, and only buy games that I want to own like that.

slop101

Banned
Been going through this thread the last few days and I figure I'll contribute as well.

Yes, SNES is the greatest console ever made - I still play it to this day!

Now, my collection here seems to be a bit different than most of the rest of you, as I seem to be a little older, so all the SNES games I have are ones I bought myself back when they first came out; nothing used or second-hand; I'm the original owner of all these games and I bought them back in the day at stores like Babbage's and local mom&pop shops (no ebay in the early '90s). I did toss all the outer boxes, but I kept all the instruction booklets, maps and stuff and everything is mint.

This obviously isn't everything I ever bought though. When I moved out of my parent's house a year after college in '97, I sold almost half my games, and just kept what I felt was essential (mostly platformers and a couple RPGs) which could fit in a shoebox (didn't want my new bachelors pad to look like vagina repellant). I honestly don't recall what I got rid of, but it wasn't anything of note, except for one game; Earthbound. Yeah, and I think I only got $10 for it. Besides wanting to pare down, I think my reasoning for selling it was that I'd never play it again, and that it didn't have good graphics. Oh well, I did keep some good stuff though; a nice, tight collection, most of which I still play.

qmJTwmo.jpg

IrishNinja

It's like a Super Famicom cart and an SNES cart had a weird baby.

haha, so much this

The comic industry crash isn't quite comparable...

came to basically echo these kind of posts: well preserved golden/silver age books stayed high across the years (and often gained), chromium # 1 variant covers & spawn # 1's, not so much.

this isn't to say modern shit cant spike on you - i sold my first few years of Ultimate Spider-Man too early, and don't even wanna think about how much my run of Walking Dead would go for now.

Been going through this thread the last few days and I figure I'll contribute as well.

Now, my collection here seems to be a bit different than most of the rest of you, as I seem to be a little older, so all the SNES games I have are ones I bought myself back when they first came out; nothing used or second-hand; I'm the original owner of all these games and I bought them back in the day at stores like Babbage's and local mom&pop shops (no ebay in the early '90s). I did toss all the outer boxes, but I kept all the instruction booklets, maps and stuff and everything is mint.

This obviously isn't everything I ever bought though. When I moved out of my parent's house a year after college in '97, I sold almost half my games, and just kept what I felt was essential (mostly platformers and a couple RPGs) which could fit in a shoebox (didn't want my new bachelors pad to look like vagina repellant). I honestly don't recall what I got rid of, but it wasn't anything of note, except for one game; Earthbound. Yeah, and I think I only got $10 for it. Besides wanting to pare down, I think my reasoning for selling it was that I'd never play it again, and that it didn't have good graphics. Oh well, I did keep some good stuff though; a nice, tight collection, most of which I still play.

qmJTwmo.jpg
This is the best kind of collection. :D

The core of my collections for NES and SNES are the games of which I'm the original owner from the 80s and 90s. They are the few that I have the original cardboard, instructions, and all contents for.

slop101

Banned
I am curious as to how much I'd get if I were to put those on ebay - no boxes, but they're all in great shape and still have all their instruction books and maps.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Now, my collection here seems to be a bit different than most of the rest of you, as I seem to be a little older, so all the SNES games I have are ones I bought myself back when they first came out; nothing used or second-hand; I'm the original owner of all these games and I bought them back in the day at stores like Babbage's and local mom&pop shops (no ebay in the early '90s).

Every time I go through a purge cycle and sell hundreds of games, the stuff I keep every single time is the stuff I bought (or was bought for me) back in the day. I pick up one of those carts and the memories flood back. Even stuff I never really liked all that much still gives me that little pang. So of the maybe 1000 carts I own, the maybe 60 or 70 I got before I was 18 are the ones that are most precious.

Incidentally, if you want to be ruthlessly lowballed, I'll give you $100 right now for the four Mega Man games. This is way less than they are worth and you should say no to this deal. But just in case, like, you owe money to a loanshark and he's currently coming to your house to break your knees or something.

kimtish

Neo Member
been buying a lot of repro carts lately.

Found a guy on Reddit who does really high quality work for super cheat. It's a trip being able to play Crimson Echos on an actual SNES

D.Lo

I've noticed this past week that some UK sellers have also started to use ebay's Global Shipping Program and as a result also have expensive shipping. And I assume this means I'll have to pay those import charges as well even though I'm also in the EU, since it mentions import charges in the listings (although the listings I've seen so far have been cheap enough to not have any import charges). Fucking hell, now I can't buy games even from the UK?! I guess it's only a matter of time now before Japan joins in on this crap as well.
GSP from the UK?

Fuck you ebay, fuck you you piece of shit.

Ruining it for sellers AND buyers of things like this.

As I mentioned in the Paypal thread, they're a company that has a monopoly at something they are terrible at. The worst kind of monopoly.

If they don't care about hobbyist buyers of second hand items, spin it off. Then ebay can become the Amazon-lite they're dreaming of where you can buy $1 free shipping iphone covers from China as much as you like.

Peltz

qmJTwmo.jpg

Tight, focused collection of goodness. Nice.

I live in Chile and i was seven when the SNES was released and twelve in 1996 when the N64 came out, i just had five original games on SNES and i was considered by some friends as "rich" for that at the moment. Maybe i was too young, but have 15+ games on a console in those years was just a vague dream for me. I started buying games by myself for the first time in 2000, before that my games were just xmas request.

D.Lo

I live in Chile and i was seven when the SNES was released and twelve in 1996 when the N64 came out, i just had five original games on SNES and i was considered by some friends as "rich" for that at the moment. Maybe i was too young, but have 15+ games on a console in those years was just a vague dream for me. I started buying games by myself for the first time in 2000, before that my games were just xmas request.
I'm in Australia and come from a small town and it's similar. I'm a bit older, and I knew a guy who had a 'library' of about 10 NES games in about 1990 and it was amazing! I only had a Game Boy, and got one new game a year, as a combination Christmas/birthday present!

I was an early retro-gamer however, I grabbed heaps of cheap NES games at about the time the PS1 and Saturn came out, though I was 16 and working holidays so had heaps of money by then.

But it was a huge deal to buy a Chrono Trigger import cart for AU$120 (which was about 60-70 US at that time).

-KRS-

I won this yesterday!

There's some sticker residue on the front of the box, but other than that it looks very good. I don't even care if I paid a bit too much for it, it's one of those games I've been dying to have in my collection since I first heard about it. The last one I saw ended at $102.50, and it wasn't exactly mint either. It actually had a bit more wear on the corners than this one does. So I think I did pretty okay.

I won this yesterday!

There's some sticker residue on the front of the box, but other than that it looks very good. I don't even care if I paid a bit too much for it, it's one of those games I've been dying to have in my collection since I first heard about it. The last one I saw ended at $102.50, and it wasn't exactly mint either. It actually had a bit more wear on the corners than this one does. So I think I did pretty okay.

Congrats! I like that game a lot.

so i've decided as i build my sfc collection i'm going for cib copies of games in good condition (no yellowing on cartridge). this is going to make things infinitely more expensive, but i'm ok with taking it slow. i have decent cib copies of sfII and final fight II on the way from japan.

i stil need to figure out how i'm going to play snes games on this sfc. just for stuff that's text heavy. ideally, i'd like to have someone do a nice mod on the cartridge slot so the snes games just fit.

so i've decided as i build my sfc collection i'm going for cib copies of games in good condition (no yellowing on cartridge). this is going to make things infinitely more expensive, but i'm ok with taking it slow. i have decent cib copies of sfII and final fight II on the way from japan.

i stil need to figure out how i'm going to play snes games on this sfc. just for stuff that's text heavy. ideally, i'd like to have someone do a nice mod on the cartridge slot so the snes games just fit.

It's less of a hassle if you go the other way; just have to clip off two tabs on an NA SNES to play SFC titles. I assume you've already invested in the SFC though.

Mercutio

It's less of a hassle if you go the other way; just have to clip off two tabs on an NA SNES to play SFC titles. I assume you've already invested in the SFC though.

I wish every system mod was as easy as the SNES one. I have no idea why Nintendo made it so simple... were they in that much of a rush to get the system to market?

yeah, already bought a very nice cib sfc. i've wanted one forever. got a decent deal on it. serial code on manual even matches the system. no yellowing of plastic. it's sweet haha

brainpann

I wish every system mod was as easy as the SNES one. I have no idea why Nintendo made it so simple... were they in that much of a rush to get the system to market?

My bet is that it was just a cost effective region lock. They basically did the same thing for the n64.

I won this yesterday!

It's a very decent price, nice! i get my CIB Umihara copy for 75 bucks but i was in Tokyo at the time so i guess it doesn't count. It worth every penny.

-KRS-

Congrats! I like that game a lot.
Me too! :D

Once you get the hang of the physics it gets very addictive trying to beat the levels faster and faster, and going different routes just to see if you can.

It's a very decent price, nice! i get my CIB Umihara copy for 75 bucks but i was in Tokyo at the time so i guess it doesn't count. It worth every penny.

Good to hear I didn't overpay much. :)
I figured with the rising prices of SNES games I'd better get this one now before it gets too crazy since it's one of the few more uncommon games I really really wanted.

Here's the one that ended at $102.50 for comparison btw:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NINTENDO-Su...MXwWU975e2SgOkBbMWbio%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Sure it doesn't have the sticker mark, but one of the sides look slightly bent and it's a real shame about that corner there. And it seems to have a bit more spots of dirt on it as well.

I really like Final Fight 2, it's my favorite of the SNES games. The backgrounds are a bit bland, but it has a great soundtrack. My NTSC copy that I bought forever ago (for cheap!) has some masking tape across the label with some kid's name written on it. I'm afraid to try and remove it...

-KRS-

I was looking around for videos of how to remove stickers from labels and stumbled upon this video and couldn't help but laugh. When he's done with the cartridges they pretty much look worse than before. He's pretty clumsy, accidentally damaging the label with his nail etc. And drawing on the label with a marker to fix fading? You can hear that he isn't very happy with how that turned out haha. And that music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oI0WqZMd64

I'm also pretty against using magic erasers to remove writing like that. At least to the extent he does. You can see it totally changes the texture of the plastic.

D.Lo

I was looking around for videos of how to remove stickers from labels and stumbled upon this video and couldn't help but laugh. When he's done with the cartridges they pretty much look worse than before. He's pretty clumsy, accidentally damaging the label with his nail etc. And drawing on the label with a marker to fix fading? You can hear that he isn't very happy with how that turned out haha. And that music.

I'm also pretty against using magic erasers to remove writing like that. At least to the extent he does. You can see it totally changes the texture of the plastic.
Lol, tragic.

What makes a clumsy awkward idiots think they should be doing 'how to' videos? Kids these days, get off my lawn etc.

EDIT: And the solution for removing stickers? Eucalyptus oil. It dissolves stickyness and nothing else.
Don't know how easy it is to get outside of Australia though.

Teknoman

Sounds like a late night as seen on TV (theres got to be a better way?!) infomercial theme. I have seen someone else use a sharpie to fill in black areas though, but I forgot what video. I think it was something from game chasers?

Timu

These are some of the reasons why I got the Japanese version of Final Fight 2:
1st boss has an actual meat cleaver/Women/Blood
ij9Ptf83AC7ts.PNG
ittMVdPX5J4Ik.PNG
i05KmfamWlzVw.PNG

Top Bottom