• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

lazygecko

Had no idea there were censorship changes in even the straight-to-console sequels. There was also a Chun Li cameo in there right? That was probably the first thing to formally connect the two series. I don't care too much for Final Fight 2 tbh. 3 is probably the best but I'm not too into that one either. Having a CPU controlled partner was a neat concept though.

Anyone familiar with Burning Fight on Neo Geo? I'm surprised Capcom didn't have a lawsuit over that one.

lazygecko

Burning Fight, is that the game where the hobos give you a blowjob?

No, I think that's Vendetta from Konami. Burning Fight is probably the closest thing there is to a carbon copy of Capcom's Final Fight. Two of the characters are straight up Cody and Guy clones, and IIRC it even starts off with you breaking obstacles at the start like Final Fight with the barrels.

test_account

XP-39C²
No, I think that's Vendetta from Konami. Burning Fight is probably the closest thing there is to a carbon copy of Capcom's Final Fight. Two of the characters are straight up Cody and Guy clones, and IIRC it even starts off with you breaking obstacles at the start like Final Fight with the barrels.
I did some search on Google now, and it seems that it also appears in Burning Fight. Funny if it appears in two games hehe.

Timu

Had no idea there were censorship changes in even the straight-to-console sequels. There was also a Chun Li cameo in there right? That was probably the first thing to formally connect the two series.
Yep, early in the 1st level:
iod1B6ulxTxBu.PNG

Also Final Fight 3 has regional differences but I don't have the Japanese version yet.

Amazon buyer protection is your friend here - try messaging the buyer for pictures as well.

I agree though - it's quite a bit of money for any game without pictures.

I messaged a buyer regarding the condition of an item. He sent multiple pictures.

Amazon sellers for whatever reason, seem to be more honest about their products. If it says good, it tends to be good or better.
One time, all it said was 'game and box' and it came with the manual and everything in amazing condition.

But I also shy away from vague listings.. but yeah, just ask, and you'll get an answer most likely.

There was also a Chun Li cameo in there right? That was probably the first thing to formally connect the two series.

In all fairness, Capcom stuck Chun-Li cameos in a few games back then, like Breath of Fire. In fact, someone recently found that equipping an otherwise unremarkable item and using it against the final boss has Chun show up a second time during the end credits.

I love when people find really obscure easter eggs in games years after the fact.

Xeno_V

So GAF, although I live in PAL land I have a copy of Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (NTSC US, CIB, excellent condition) that I was thinking of selling.... I never was that much into this game so maybe I can get something else after selling this.

The thing is that I am not sure about its value and ebay doesn't help also as I don't see any serious bidding activity for this game. On top of this having the US version in Europe doesn't help either, as if I sell it in the US I will get some $ which won't be enough as I 'd rather get some EUR or GBP for this, but in Europe demand should also be lower.

Can anyone tell me what's a reasonable price (ok even best case price) for this at the moment in USD, GBP or whatever?

NR1

image-160.jpg

Just snagged a GREAT condition copy of Secret of Mana in Arlington, TX for $28! No manual or box, but the cart looks fantastic!

Kadmac25

So I have been wanting to purchase a SNES console and games after being inspired by this thread. After looking at ebay, it looks like I should expect to drop between $60 to $90 on the console with its wires and controllers. I can see how this hobby gets real expensive.

So for everyone else, is it really worth it after dropping so much coin? I also want to get some reproduction carts for the actual system but I heard some repros cause slowdown on the actual console.

So I have been wanting to purchase a SNES console and games after being inspired by this thread. After looking at ebay, it looks like I should expect to drop between $60 to $90 on the console with its wires and controllers. I can see how this hobby gets real expensive.

So for everyone else, is it really worth it after dropping so much coin? I also want to get some reproduction carts for the actual system but I heard some repros cause slowdown on the actual console.

Play emulators for free.

It's not at all the same.

It's not identical to the real thing, but it's plenty good enough to play and experience the games. Get a USB adapter for a SNES controller for $10, and you'll have spent all you need to.

If you really, really have to have the authentic thing, get a console, and spend the money on a flash cart that can play 95% of the library like SD2SNES.

In my view, collecting is something separate from just wanting to play the games.

The price hikes are insane. I bought mine (2 controllers, cables, and a free copy of Urban Strike thrown in the package for no good reason) a little over 3 years ago for $25.

Fularu

Banned

If you're going to use repros, you may as well buy an SNES everdrive and play the flashed games yourself.

Of course, that would mean buying the original Japanese carts, otherwise it would be piracy

image-160.jpg

Just snagged a GREAT condition copy of Secret of Mana in Arlington, TX for $28! No manual or box, but the cart looks fantastic!
*high five*

There's an Entertainmart in my town in Missouri, but I don't recall seeing any older carts there. Been a while since I've been there, though, so maybe it's time to give a look.

He's replying to someone stating he would be buying repro carts. Repro carts are just as much piracy as playing the games on an emulator.

Ehh, the repro talk was only a small part of the post he was responding to. We've had mods in here talking about repros before, so it's seemingly allowed. Whereas talking about downloading roms and shit isn't.

So is there anywhere in Greeley,Colorado to get a copy of Super Mario RPG:Legend of The Seven stars for a reasonable price?

That gameforce place is ridiculously pricey.

Define reasonable.

It goes for 40$ on ebay, cart only of course.

Like $35 for the just the cart, but I guess I can pay 40.

Then again I need the console too those seem to go for $60 but they look pretty beat up, but I've been thinking about getting a retron5.

Are the SNES systems really that expensive these days? Last I saw they were going for about $40. I haven't been following the scene that much lately (unemployment will do that to ya) but have console prices jumped as well?

Timu

Are the SNES systems really that expensive these days? Last I saw they were going for about $40. I haven't been following the scene that much lately (unemployment will do that to ya) but have console prices jumped as well?
40 bucks is what they usually are at lowest nowadays.

image-160.jpg

I've just imported an American SNES (living in the UK) and this is the first game i've ordered for it. Managed to get it for £16 in an auction!

I'm going to confess something embarassing.

I've only ever played Super Mario RPG for SNES RPGs (but I love it) I got a SNES late into its life, and never got ahold of RPGs. Aside from the obvious RPGs like FFVI and Chrono Trigger, what should I be trying out?

I'm going to confess something embarassing.

I've only ever played Super Mario RPG for SNES RPGs (but I love it) I got a SNES late into its life, and never got ahold of RPGs. Aside from the obvious RPGs like FFVI and Chrono Trigger, what should I be trying out?

Earthbound is pretty good

Lufia II if u like clever puzzles w/ ur RPG

Gaia Trilogy if u like action w/ ur RPG

Top Bottom