• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

dareacher

Banned
hey all, not sure where to post this so im trying here. Looking to sell my copy of mega man 7 for snes with box and instruction at decent price. Can you direct me to a better place than ebay or is anybody here interested??

Teknoman

Are the SNES systems really that expensive these days? Last I saw they were going for about $40. I haven't been following the scene that much lately (unemployment will do that to ya) but have console prices jumped as well?

Looking at a combo of fan sites, ebay, and amazon, i'm sure you can get one for about that much.

Oh! I totally lied. I have played Earthbound, and loved it.

Thank you for the recommendations

Secret of Mana, FFII (IV), and Breath of Fire 1 and 2. Brainlord if you like great music with brain busting dungeon challenges.

I'll pay $1 , free shipping
thats how much CiB snes games are at a thrift store i go to......I MISSED OUT ON 50+ CIB GAMES, fuuuuuu and such bs too, salt time

you can go here, take pics and post your item, it'll sell :D

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=895748

Dont ya just hate when you get caught slippin at thrift stores, or the person two people ahead of you in line gets what you were looking at?

You cant really hate on them for being earlier, but you dont feel any less salty.

-KRS-

Umihara Kawase arrived safely today. And it even looks better in person than it did in the pictures. Really glad to finally have this gem in my collection.

Kadmac25

Well, I finally bit the bullet and purchased a SNES console from ebay for $55 including shipping. Not too bad of a deal. The console does have some yellowing so I am going to try and use the peroxide/sunshine method to remove it.

I'll probably just use the RCA cables for awhile but eventually would love to go SCART/RGB with Framemeister...but of course, that is going to cost a pretty penny.

Weegee

Ugh I just bought Earthbound for 180 bucks on ebay. Looking forward to playing on my snes when in it comes in though. I just started playing Final Fantasy III, any tips?

Ugh I just bought Earthbound for 180 bucks on ebay. Looking forward to playing on my snes when in it comes in though. I just started playing Final Fantasy III, any tips?

Jesus dude, for the first time on both of these?

My only tip would be "don't read any shit on the internet" and just go whole hog into them. Neither are that difficult, and both should be experienced fresh if you can swing it.

-KRS-

I got a CIB Mario & Wario in the mail the other day. Bought the SNES mouse a while back so I thought I should probably have some software for it, and that seemed like a good one. And it's pretty fun so far.

I definitely overpaid for it though. It was from the seller Japan 4 You, and they had it listed for $17.95. I made an offer for $15 which was accepted, and I was like "Aw yeah I made a good deal there". Then I saw an auction for another CIB copy in very good condition and decided to follow it to see what it ended at. It ended at $4.25 or something like that haha. Oh well, at least mine is absolutely mint condition. Definitely the best condition box in my collection.

Weegee

Jesus dude, for the first time on both of these?

My only tip would be "don't read any shit on the internet" and just go whole hog into them. Neither are that difficult, and both should be experienced fresh if you can swing it.

I've played a lof of Earthboud already on Wii U. I still need to go back and finish it though. First time for FF III. Yeah I missed out on a lot of classics for snes. Being mostly ignorant as a kid during those days and only getting games for christmas and birthdays, my library was pretty small. I only had about 14 or 15 games for my super nintendo growing up.

I've played a lof of Earthboud already on Wii U. I still need to go back and finish it though. First time for FF III. Yeah I missed out on a lot of classics for snes. Being mostly ignorant as a kid during those days and only getting games for christmas and birthdays, my library was pretty small. I only had about 14 or 15 games for my super nintendo growing up.

only 15 games? better off than lot of people, lol

Teknoman

Can't wait to recieve Super Metroid and play it for the first time ever. Any tips? :)

Metroid cant crawl.

Seriously though, just go in blind and figure out everything from scratch. Pay attention to any friendly native creatures, and only use a guide if you absolutely have to.

hypotc

I've only seen a couple of minutes of gameplay and the title screen. Will definitely go in blind. Volume will be turned up, as I love the title music. Same with Star Fox, it gets me hyped up!

Kadmac25

So I bought a SNES console off ebay and purchased King Arthur's World from a second hand shop where I live. When the SNES console arrived, it smelled of tobacco and nicotine. Really frustrating. Nothing was mentioned in the description about the smell and I should have done my homework with the seller.

I tried cleaning up the console tonight. I dissembled the entire console and washed it with soap and water. It really helped remove the smell. Also took apart the controller and washed it. The wires for the console and controller smell really bad though even after scrubbing them. I am letting the wires soak in soap and water tonight (of course only the wire portion, ends of the wire aren't in the water.

I don't know...I might just resell it and try getting another SNES console without the horrible smell. Have any of you had to deal with the smoke smell issue when buying SNES peripherals?

By the way, tested the console on a CRT TV. A very tiny portion of the image cut off on bottom. Maybe because I am using R/F as the connection?

So I bought a SNES console off ebay and purchased King Arthur's World from a second hand shop where I live. When the SNES console arrived, it smelled of tobacco and nicotine. Really frustrating. Nothing was mentioned in the description about the smell and I should have done my homework with the seller.

I tried cleaning up the console tonight. I dissembled the entire console and washed it with soap and water. It really helped remove the smell. Also took apart the controller and washed it. The wires for the console and controller smell really bad though even after scrubbing them. I am letting the wires soak in soap and water tonight (of course only the wire portion, ends of the wire aren't in the water.

I don't know...I might just resell it and try getting another SNES console without the horrible smell. Have any of you had to deal with the smoke smell issue when buying SNES peripherals?

By the way, tested the console on a CRT TV. A very tiny portion of the image cut off on bottom. Maybe because I am using R/F as the connection?
Put everything in a sealed container with a bunch of air freshening pearls for a few days. That would probably neutralize the smoke smell.

Tambini

Won 2 auctions of link to the past and super castlevania 4! Cant wait to get them, wish I could play the latter tonight for Halloween

Reclaimer

Put everything in a sealed container with a bunch of air freshening pearls for a few days. That would probably neutralize the smoke smell.

This works.

Also, when I wash up disassembled parts, I soak them in Oxy Clean. Then clean cables with goo gone and then Isopropyl Alcohol. Cuts through most anything.

Time sitting out in fresh air (even like a garage) helps too. Just getting it out of a nasty cramped box/wrapping and giving it a few days can make a big difference.

Rich!

I just bought a PAL copy of Terranigma.

My life is complete.

..I had a boxed copy in 2001 that I traded into gamestation for Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3. fml.

Kadmac25

This works.

Also, when I wash up disassembled parts, I soak them in Oxy Clean. Then clean cables with goo gone and then Isopropyl Alcohol. Cuts through most anything.

Time sitting out in fresh air (even like a garage) helps too. Just getting it out of a nasty cramped box/wrapping and giving it a few days can make a big difference.

Thanks for the tips I will try that. I'm afraid the smell is even in the motherboard of the console. I thought I cleaned the cartridge slot of the system pretty well with a credit card and damp cloth but I noticed that my game cartridge that originally had no smoke smell now has it after being played on the console.

I will try the suggestions but I might just need to resell it.

Tony Hawk 3 is a great game tho, everyone wanna get wrapped up in value, lol.

Terranigma never came out in my territory, but as a fan of Quintet, I've had more fun with, and spent more hours playing Tony Hawk 3 than Soul Blazer or Illusion of Gaia.

Rich!

Tony Hawk 3 is one of the greatest games ever made. Pure arcade fun

The issue is that I can today buy a complete copy of THPS3 for about £3. Can I do that with Terranigma? lol

Weegee

I just want to say that i'm about 6-7 hours into FF III and I'm really enjoying it. The boss battle with the Ghost Train was epic lol. Seeing Sabin, Cyan, and Shadow running like hell from the train cracked me up. The music playing on the world map is so good. I'm so glad I finally started playing this old classic.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
I just want to say that i'm about 6-7 hours into FF III and I'm really enjoying it. The boss battle with the Ghost Train was epic lol. Seeing Sabin, Cyan, and Shadow running like hell from the train cracked me up. The music playing on the world map is so good. I'm so glad I finally started playing this old classic.
Phoenix Down on the train is a one hit kill. :p

Fularu

Banned
So some of the games I've been buying the past couple of weeks finaly arrived!

A few images to show some of them :D Rest should be here by christmass when my brother gets over here!
CWZJmN1.jpg
fUQNCzN.jpg

ON4R8nD.jpg
449m5Rd.jpg

MgERfjc.jpg
m0rz8w6.jpg

Timu

So some of the games I've been buying the past couple of weeks finaly arrived!

A few images to show some of them :D Rest should be here by christmass when my brother gets over here!
Damn dude that's insane, I also just got Rushing Beat in the mail the other day, and now I have all 3 Rushing Beat games. Glad to see someone else pick up Ghost Sweeper Mikami, very underrated game.

RexRogers

Neo Member
Have you guys seen this kickstarter? These are component cables for the model 1 SNES that don't require any kind of internal mods to the console. I think it uses a method similar to the Gamecube's where the conversion chip resides in the plug/cord itself.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hdretrovision/sega-genesis-and-super-nintendo-component-cables

Apparently they also have Genesis component cables, but I've never started collecting Sega stuff.

Looks great, but I'm so weary of Kickstarters from randoms. Will definitely buy after produced, but not sure I want to risk the $35 on the Kickstarter campaign.

Teknoman

Phoenix Down on the train is a one hit kill. :p

Suplex it. And yes, classic style FF is best FF.

Timu

I got this today:
jbccYU84itxSIR.jpg

And my bro got this:
jn3PjBrypkkiJ.jpg

Sorry for the quality of the pics, my camera can be pretty random with that.

Top Bottom