• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

This fucking guy...

I bought DKC 2 CIB last week (the 8th) from a guy in L.A. He's literally about 40 minutes away from me. And he still hasn't shipped it. I contacted him yesterday, he said he'd ship it today. Still...nothing.

Ok, guy. You take your time. And enjoy your shitty feedback.

Sushigod7

This fucking guy...

I bought DKC 2 CIB last week (the 8th) from a guy in L.A. He's literally about 40 minutes away from me. And he still hasn't shipped it. I contacted him yesterday, he said he'd ship it today. Still...nothing.

Yup get it then rip him a new one. When I sell stuff on ebay I feel bad if I go a whole day without shipping the item. I don't get these assholes who wait a week.

Hope I find the Mario Mania, GB, and NES guides then. They sound pretty cool.

They put one more out later that was for the Super Game Boy. It came with Nintendo Power and was also bundled in with the SGB itself.

I don't remember if they kept the name Mario Mania, I think they did, but it was originally going to be a Mario guide with a SMW preview according to the Nintendo Power ads, and it became a guide with a short overview of all his games and some tidbits of information between chapters (like jumping comparisons across games and details on Doki Doki Panic).

They were a freebie with my Nintendo Power subscription, and they were totally worth the price of the year alone. I need to track down another Game Atlas one of these days.

What percentage rubbing alcohol do you use to clean games?

This fucking guy...

How long does paypal give you to dispute an item? Make sure you stay within the time for that so you can dispute if he continues to not ship it.

Teknoman

I need to find this one Ebay mystery bag SNES BIN. Back in the summer I figured i'd give it a shot. Ended up getting Super Ghouls and Ghosts + Jungle Book for 10 bucks. Glad I lucked out because it could've been two Maddens or something.

Sold Jungle Book though...not really as fun as I remember :p

Olly88

HOLY FUCK!

Keep in mind I live in Moreno Valley.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/vgm/3615701251.html

Oh a Donkey Kong Country cart in a custom case, that's pretty coo...

*clicks zoomed in pictures*

74Lqx.gif

Dude go for that! Any idea how much its worth? I've never even heard of DKC competition carts.

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=57497

What are the chances of someone actually having the real cartridge of that, not knowing how rare and valuable it is, and putting it up on Craigslist for a measly $25? The fact that he even puts a picture of it running on the TV makes me even more skeptical. Who does that, unless they know what they got? Would be cool if real, but I doubt it.

edit: Ha! It's the same exact pic from this Joystiq article from 2007!
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/10/19/donkey-kong-country-competition-cart-hits-ebay/

Teknoman

What are the chances of someone actually having the real cartridge of that, not knowing how rare and valuable it is, and putting it up on Craigslist for a measly $25? The fact that he even puts a picture of it running on the TV makes me even more skeptical. Who does that, unless they know what they got? Would be cool if real, but I doubt it.

edit: Ha! It's the same exact pic from this Joystiq article from 2007!
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/10/19/donkey-kong-country-competition-cart-hits-ebay/

Uh oh...hmm just call first I guess.

GulAtiCa

Without really looking into it, I can easily see someone not knowing what it's worth.

Quackula

Hey, man. I seriously hope you hit the jackpot on this rarity. Maybe he just did a Google image search for his listing. It is the first result, after all.

Looking at the pictures on craigslist a bit more. Look at the one on the TV, it's sitting next to a shelf full of NES games.

This guy either knows what he has or (more likely) he doesn't really have it. I expect DidntKnowJack to get no reply or to end up overpaying for a normal copy of Donkey Kong Country.

Yeah, chances are I'll never hear from the guy anyway. Why are people on CL such goofballs?

And yeah, probably dumb of me to list this here, but I got excited.

The first image on that craigslist page is also here D:

EDIT: And the last image of the case is a flipped image from CAG.

What a weird thing to fake and do it locally like that and for not much money.

And yeah, probably dumb of me to list this here, but I got excited.

I've just seen drama on the Nintendo Age forums over people being ass holes. There was some shit where someone on there won a good deal on ebay from someone who didn't know what they had. Another member contacted the seller and offered to buy it for more so the seller refused to sell it to the winner. Drama ensued. People can be dicks.

GulAtiCa

Seems like a very odd thing to do on Craigslist of all places. Be better to do it on eBay. Though I think you would need to sign up with CC/bank account, so likely fake selling something would just bite you in the ass.

Haha. I just got an email from the guy I was bitching about before. He finally shipped the DKC 2 game I ordered. But for a second I saw DKC and almost shit myself thinking it was the CL guy.

But basically - yeah this looks like a scam.

Parallacs

Haha. I just got an email from the guy I was bitching about before. He finally shipped the DKC 2 game I ordered. But for a second I saw DKC and almost shit myself thinking it was the CL guy.

But basically - yeah this looks like a scam.

Haha I was about ready to fuel up my car and drive from Orange County to try to outbid you at his door.

Too bad though, you almost had the find of the decade.

Wait, you were going to have him ship...on Craigslist/

That's instant scam.

eBay. Read post 1201

Collectors put posts like that on Craigslist to suss out their competition - they want to see who else is checking Craigslist for games. It's not a fake, it doesn't exist.

Wait, you were going to have him ship...on Craigslist/

That's instant scam.
No. The DKC 2 game was ordered off ebay.
DKC comp. cart - was advertised on CL. 2 different things.

I would never send anyone on CL money. Or have anyone from CL come to my home. Or go to anyone on CL's home.

Finally got around to reading through this thread tonight. Can't believe prices have inflated so much, fucking absurd. Anyways, here's my meager collection. I haven't really acquired anything new except for Earthbound, which I picked up in a trade for a Sega Saturn PS2 controller, three years ago. Everything else, that's boxed, are left over from their original releases.

Bottom right game is Ninja Gaiden Trilogy

Bottom right game is Marvel Superheroes: War of the Gems.

Loose games bug the shit out of me. But my college roommate gave them (Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Mario All-Stars, All-stars + World, and War of the Gems) to me in 2003.

Also, FF II, III Mystic Quest and Illusion of Gaia all still have the cellophane wrappers on them. I worshiped Square Soft and Enix back then.

Holy shit at Demon's Crest prices. I always wanted to pick that up. But wow... so expensive now. I've always wanted to play Actraiser 2, thankfully that's not too absurd in price... yet.

I can't believe how much the Mega Man games go for. I picked up X, X3 and 7 from EB in 2004/2005 when they were clearancing out SNES games for 50% off. It looks like I paid $2 for X, $16 for X3 and $10 for 7.

EDIT: This thread makes me want to spend all day Saturday going to thrift stores and pawn shops.

Holy shit at Demon's Crest prices. I always wanted to pick that up. But wow... so expensive now. I've always wanted to play Actraiser 2, thankfully that's not too absurd in price... yet.

If you're patient you can still get Demon's Crest for about $60 off ebay. Not too crazy. There are still decent local places out there as well. I got DC for $50 and Actraiser 2 for $10 from a local place just two days ago. Not the most amazing price for Demon's Crest, but better than ebay prices by a good amount. I pretty much stay away from ebay unless I'm desperate and/or sure about the price.

EDIT: This thread makes me want to spend all day Saturday going to thrift stores and pawn shops.

I have had zero luck with pawn shops. Not to say you won't have better luck. Last week I got Mario All-Stars from a video game store for $6. Just a couple blocks away was a pawn shop so I decided to pop in there. They wanted $20 for it. I think most places just check ebay and call it a day. Though, I guess most pawn shops are up for a bit of haggling, but you're probably not talking a $20 item down to $6.

johnsmith

remember me
Damn, prices are going up. Super Metroid is going for almost $50 when it used to go for less than $20. Makes me think I should just sell my modest collection and just rebuy on virtual console. Now if only Nintendo would finally release Earthbound on VC so I could sell that.

Reclaimer

Damn, prices are going up. Super Metroid is going for almost $50 when it used to go for less than $20. Makes me think I should just sell my modest collection and just rebuy on virttual console. Now if only Nintendo would finally release Earthbound on VC so I could sell that.

Sell it to me. I'll give you a fair price
for your future regret and sadness.

-KRS-

Is the PAL version of Demon's Crest also as expensive as the NA one? I did see one on Tradera.com a while ago which ended at over 800 SEK (~€80), but I'm not sure if it's really worth that much or if that's just because of the current hype surrounding the game.

Iskander

Neo Member
Damn, prices are going up. Super Metroid is going for almost $50 when it used to go for less than $20. Makes me think I should just sell my modest collection and just rebuy on virtual console. Now if only Nintendo would finally release Earthbound on VC so I could sell that.

I just got the Super Famicom versions of Super Metroid and Rockman/Megaman X3 on ebay for $32 each. Much more reasonable prices on those, and I like the look of the cartridges better for some reason too...

Fox Mulder

I have had zero luck with pawn shops. Not to say you won't have better luck. Last week I got Mario All-Stars from a video game store for $6. Just a couple blocks away was a pawn shop so I decided to pop in there. They wanted $20 for it. I think most places just check ebay and call it a day. Though, I guess most pawn shops are up for a bit of haggling, but you're probably not talking a $20 item down to $6.

The pawn shops around me have SNES stuff, but they sit on it at ebay premium prices. I guess it's worth it to them as they probably paid close to nothing for it and hope a desperate collector or retro blinded fool walks in willing to pay.

Top Bottom