• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Teknoman

3-4 weeks is my experience, including several purchases this year

I hope so. Usually most of my purchases are 2 weeks tops. But its usually from Hit Japan or Yamatoku. This time I got from Direct from Japan...I really hope so. Its just strange that the tracking hasnt at least gotten to California or New York by now.

Olly88

Are any of the cheap/common football (soccer), golf, wrestling or baseball Super Famicom games any good? I see them all the time but always dismiss them, but I've only got one sports game for the system, so if any of them are any good, maybe it's time I checked a couple out.

Are any of the cheap/common football (soccer), golf, wrestling or baseball Super Famicom games any good? I see them all the time but always dismiss them, but I've only got one sports game for the system, so if any of them are any good, maybe it's time I checked a couple out.

I hear good things about the fire pro wrestling series

AC!D

Sensible soccer was a decent port on the SNES. It's not really a realistic take on the sport, it's very fast and often ends up with goalmouth pinball action but it's a fun game.

EDIT: Also, I wonder if anyone can help. I've got a Super Famicom which came with a standard S-video lead. I'm thinking of getting an XRGB Framemeister so I can play on my front room Samsung Flat Screen TV. I see on the Framemeister it has an Svideo port and an RGB port.

Which is the best to use and what type of cable do I need to connect to the Framemeister using RGB? All the RGB cables I've seen online have the standard Nintendo connection on one end and are SCART on the other. :S

desk_jockey

Neo Member

Its not a sport you listed above but NHL 94 is my go to sports game. Also NHL Stanley Cup is almost the exact same game and can be had for pennies. . .

Mercutio

Sensible soccer was a decent port on the SNES. It's not really a realistic take on the sport, it's very fast and often ends up with goalmouth pinball action but it's a fun game.

EDIT: Also, I wonder if anyone can help. I've got a Super Famicom which came with a standard S-video lead. I'm thinking of getting an XRGB Framemeister so I can play on my front room Samsung Flat Screen TV. I see on the Framemeister it has an Svideo port and an RGB port.

Which is the best to use and what type of cable do I need to connect to the Framemeister using RGB? All the RGB cables I've seen online have the standard Nintendo connection on one end and are SCART on the other. :S

The SCART is RGB in that scenario, and an adapter is included with the XRGB Mini that connects SCART to it. Be aware though that there are two kinds of RGB SCART: European and Japanese RGB 21. The XRGB Mini will include a RGB21 cable adapter, but not the European one. You can go two ways: Get a Japanese RGB 21 SCART cable for your SNES, or get a XRGB Mini European SCART adaptor and go for the European SNES SCART cable.

I suggest going European as soon as possible, as it's much easier to find European SCART switch boxes.

Been browsing this thread for a while, bringing back some good memories. I dug out my collection of SNES games tonight. A mixture of PAL and NTSC (USA & JAP). All these are boxed with instructions. Got a US and a PAL SNES. The PAL one still works fine and is modded to play all regions and 60hz. Yellowing has occurred. What's the best way to rid my console of this phenomenon?

Been browsing this thread for a while, bringing back some good memories. I dug out my collection of SNES games tonight. A mixture of PAL and NTSC (USA & JAP). All these are boxed with instructions. Got a US and a PAL SNES. The PAL one still works fine and is modded to play all regions and 60hz. Yellowing has occurred. What's the best way to rid my console of this phenomenon?

International Superstar cricket was a fantastic game, and holds up against any cricket game since then.

Leonsito

Is any of the portable SNES consoles worth it? I see a lot of people with SupaBoys or RetroDuo portables, but I heard bad things about them: batteries dying in weeks, or savegames erased...

Timu

Is any of the portable SNES consoles worth it? I see a lot of people with SupaBoys or RetroDuo portables, but I heard bad things about them: batteries dying in weeks, or savegames erased...
Don't get a SupaBoy, it's awful and will erase save game data.

Well I've been working on getting my BitBoxes filled out, and am pretty happy with the results right now. Ended up going with the horizontal artwork (just too nostalgic for the orginal artwork and layouts) with the vertical spines for the nice matching layouts that go well with the NES spines

IMG_0589_zpsail3rz2m.jpg

Well I've been working on getting my BitBoxes filled out, and am pretty happy with the results right now. Ended up going with the horizontal artwork (just too nostalgic for the orginal artwork and layouts) with the vertical spines for the nice matching layouts that go well with the NES spines

IMG_0589_zpsail3rz2m.jpg

Judging from the photo, I made several of those horizontal covers. I hope they printed well.

Judging from the photo, I made several of those horizontal covers. I hope they printed well.
Everything is printed too large, but I think that is because I used Kinkos, which I had never done before, and the self-serve stuff doesn't let you look at many properties. I'm assuming it scaled the artwork to the page, instead of at 100%.

A test print run at work had produced a perfect cover, but that was just a single case (Zelda)

Another lesson learned was the paper I used was too low quality and flimsy, which means I had to cram or cut the covers to get them in all the way. That left the plastic a bit loose on some of them.

That being said, it's good enough for now. Eventually I'll have a good system figured out, possibly with a move back to photo paper I used with my UGCs, and these poor cases can hold my copies of Madden and Capcom Football :p

Jinroh

I've just read somewhere it's not advised to use a NTSC RGB cable on a european SNES, is it true? Would it really damage it?

What about the contrary? I've always used my european RGB cable on my super famicom and never had any issue.

-KRS-

I've just read somewhere it's not advised to use a NTSC RGB cable on a european SNES, is it true? Would it really damage it?

What about the contrary? I've always used my european RGB cable on my super famicom and never had any issue.

I don't think it would damage anything. It would only produce a very overly bright image. Perhaps that could damage the TV in the long run but I sort of doubt it. And using a PAL RGB Scart with a Super Famicom should result in a very very dark image. Perhaps your RGB cable is for the Gamecube? Because the PAL GC outputs the same type of RGB signals as an NTSC SNES or something like that.

I've personally seen a German SNES use a GC RGB Scart cable without issue though. The same SNES also produced a dark image with a regular PAL SNES RGB cable.

Jinroh

That's weird, I didn't have any brightness issue. And it wasn't the gamecube cable, since I have the japanese model with its heavily modded RGB cable.

I'm going to mod my PAL french N64 to "restore" its RGB signal, do I also need to use a european RGB cable?

Olly88

Quick question regarding the pronunciation of SNES in the US. I know most people over there say either Super-NES or spell it out S.N.E.S, whereas in Europe most of us say it as one word "Snes". But... if it was used with a suffix on the end, would it change the way you pronounce it?

EG: There's a Youtube user called Snestastic. Do you change the way you pronounce SNES when saying that to say it as one word?

The reason I'm asking is that I want to do some kind of site/blog that will be mostly dedicated to SNES/SFC games, but the only decent name I can thing of is "Snes" with a suffix that needs to be said as all one word, as it wouldn't really work with the SNES part being pronounced any other way.

Probably a bit of a weird question, but thanks in advance :)

Edit: Thanks for the sports recommendations BTW, could have sworn I had already replied. Will check some of them out.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Quick question regarding the pronunciation of SNES in the US. I know most people over there say either Super-NES or spell it out S.N.E.S, whereas in Europe most of us say it as one word "Snes". But... if it was used with a suffix on the end, would it change the way you pronounce it?

EG: There's a Youtube user called Snestastic. Do you change the way you pronounce SNES when saying that to say it as one word?

Yeah, and we'd pronounce it like "Ness". It's not that uncommon for some folks to pronounce it like that anyway, so if you asked an American if they had a "Sness" they'd probably know what you're talking about.

I know the "Snez" pronunciation is common in some parts of Europe, but I don't think any Americans pronounce it that way. At least not that I'm aware of. America is a big country so sometimes you can get minor differences based on regional dialects for sure. The debates over what you call a generic soft drink are epic (ie "soda", "pop", or "coke").

Yeah, ess-ness (it's the most natural way to say the acronym!), Super Nintendo, or Super NES only, for me. Never "snes" as a word, Americans do not say it that way.

kamakazi5

I still just say Super Nintendo for the most part but sometimes S.N.E.S. Since I was a kid I have always called the original the regular Nintendo.

RexRogers

Neo Member
As a kid I always thought the "ness" and "sness" pronunciations sounded silly. I called them a "Nintendo" and a "Super Nintendo".

Now I interchangeably call them what I did previously or an N.E.S. and S.N.E.S.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Looks like SNES bitboxes are back in stock. Just ordered 50, since I'm tired of being anxious over my carts running around loose or banging around UGCs. I'll figure out getting the artwork printed for them later lol
Any similar product that actually ships to Europe for a reasonable price?

I was about ready to buy some but the price for shipping is double the price of the products.

D.Lo

It's called the Super Nintendo. Nintendo themselves called it the 'Super Nintendo' in ads. Even the logo says SUPER NINTENDO and 'entertainment system' is like a sub-title, or a description, in much smaller letters. Like how a TV Box says 'Sony Colour TV'.

But that didn't stop people saying 'Ess En Eee Ess' or more commonly 'Super En Eee Ess'. Same with 'En 64'.

Sure the code is SNES, and that's useful to save letters when typing, but do people walk around calling the Gamecube 'Gee Cee Enn'? Or their 16 bit Sega 'Ess Em Dee'?

I guess people say 'Pee Ess One' and 'Pee Ess Two' but those consoles had PSOne and PS2 written on the top.

It's called the Super Nintendo. Nintendo themselves called it the 'Super Nintendo' in ads. Even the logo says SUPER NINTENDO and 'entertainment system' is like a sub-title, or a description, in much smaller letters. Like how a TV Box says 'Sony Colour TV'.

But that didn't stop people saying 'Ess En Eee Ess' or more commonly 'Super En Eee Ess'. Same with 'En 64'.

Sure the code is SNES, and that's useful to save letters when typing, but do people walk around calling the Gamecube 'Gee Cee Enn'? Or their 16 bit Sega 'Ess Em Dee'?

I guess people say 'Pee Ess One' and 'Pee Ess Two' but those consoles had PSOne and PS2 written on the top.

Actually, I recall "Super En Eee Ess" being used in a lot of Nintendo's ads at the time.

D.Lo

Actually, I recall "Super En Eee Ess" being used in a lot of Nintendo's ads at the time.
Actually yeah they did in America later. Early ads like this one said Super Nintendo. And like I said, the Logo itself implies the title 'Super Nintendo'.

Maybe too many parents were confused, and bought 'Super Mario' on 'Nintendo' instead of a Super Nintendo.

Ultimately the console's canonical name is Super Famicom anyway.

Chittagong

Gold Member
The official way of saying it is either 'Super NES' or 'Super Nintendo Entertainment System'. Nintendo does not approve of 'SNES' or 'Super Nintendo'.

So being a good ex-employee, I use Super NES.

I always called the original EN-EE-ES. So it was only fitting to call the Super Nintendo ES-EN-EE-ES. Bothers me just as much when people say shmup. Just say shoot-me-up, or bullet hell.

i have two sfc games for sale. i got these when i bought my super famicom, but have since decided i'm doing cib sfc games. they're nothing special and i don't want a whole lot for them. feel free to pm me an offer. paypal payment and free shipping to continental u.s. sfII turbo is on the right in every pic. it's in worse shape than mario all-stars.

VAfYF6T.jpg

sOJtxI5.jpg

c3Bvn56.jpg

Ef7Ald3.jpg

Olly88

Yeah, and we'd pronounce it like "Ness". It's not that uncommon for some folks to pronounce it like that anyway, so if you asked an American if they had a "Sness" they'd probably know what you're talking about.

I know the "Snez" pronunciation is common in some parts of Europe, but I don't think any Americans pronounce it that way. At least not that I'm aware of. America is a big country so sometimes you can get minor differences based on regional dialects for sure. The debates over what you call a generic soft drink are epic (ie "soda", "pop", or "coke").

Cool stuff, thanks for the info. I personally say "Snez", but "Sness" works fine with it too.

Also, pop.

Coda

Just got this bad boy in the mail!

20150315_125055_zpszd6b3jnm.jpg

I'm honestly surprised how good composite looks with it hooked into the side of the cartridge. Much cleaner output than the SNES does composite by itself.

20150315_125411_zpsj1p48hdb.jpg

Also I love this game so much, this screen doesn't do it justice but when those flames arise in the background of the Earth stage I'm blown away every time. Some of the coolest pixel graphics and effects I've ever seen.

Top Bottom