• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

It would be neat if someone manufactured a 3rd party lid for SFC to accommodate NA SNES games. I wonder how feasible that is with 3D printing.

Shining

Browsing through your old ebay receipts is awesome. This one is from early 2010. They all are CIB 'like new' with shrinkwrap around the boxes and all, only slit open on one side to get the content out. I remember the seller (quite a big one) uploading a shitload of CIB NES and SNES games in great condition during that night.

7PxViPK.jpg

fantastico

I got a couple of US SNES consoles and whilst they are easier to mod for SFC cartridges by removing the tabs (which I have already done), the PSU is an issue. The SFC and even the PAL consoles use a standard power adaptor (suitable to their original domestic market) which is easy enough to get a regional version of where the US unit has a power input plug that is hard to find as a generic adaptor connection, almost proprietary. So then you're into step-down converter territory but I prefer to use local power units for my import consoles where available.

Plus the US SNES looks like hot garbage compared to the SFC/PAL console.

Are you based in the UK? Maplins have a plug that will connect a US SNES to a PAL Megadrive PSU (output is the same for US SNES so it's safe!)

Ban Puncher

Are you based in the UK? Maplins have a plug that will connect a US SNES to a PAL Megadrive PSU (output is the same for US SNES so it's safe!)

Australia.

Haven't found anything locally that can adapt a trusty MegaDrive PSU, although I haven't really looked in a few years.

If you want to link me to the part on Maplins then I could try to locate one.

Doesn't solve the main issue of the console looking like Megatron with his limbs cut off.

Damn straight.

Browsing through your old ebay receipts is awesome. This one is from early 2010. They all are CIB 'like new' with shrinkwrap around the boxes and all, only slit open on one side to get the content out. I remember the seller (quite a big one) uploading a shitload of CIB NES and SNES games in great condition during that night.

7PxViPK.jpg

Those are probably good prices for today, but the going was sooo much better even 4 or 5 years earlier than that...

Peagles

Australia.

Haven't found anything locally that can adapt a trusty MegaDrive PSU, although I haven't really looked in a few years.

If you want to link me to the part on Maplins then I could try to locate one.

Damn straight.

I went through this same thing, so I ended up putting an SFC board in a U.S. SNES shell.

Maplin wouldn't ship to me in NZ.

7PxViPK.jpg

Why are you doing this to us? :c

Teknoman

10 years ago...damn I was still going around to Game Crazy, but it just never hit me to go to half price books until...about 2010.

Pulled out several carts I bought from Half Price Books about ten years ago.

I got some other really good SNES deals there (Run Saber, Contra III, R-Type III), but I peeled those price tags off, so I don't know exactly how much I paid for them. Man, those were the days...

Pls stahp. It hurts to look.

I got some other really good SNES deals there (Run Saber, Contra III, R-Type III), but I peeled those price tags off, so I don't know exactly how much I paid for them. Man, those were the days...

Good times.

Stupid question... But is there a way to play super Nes games and console on a Sony 55 inch led? Also the mini Snes... What's it all about?

Check this thread, it's a great resource.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=630556

Jaeger

Picked up Super Metroid yesterday. A copy came into the store I work at and I could not let anyone else get it. No case or manual so I'll be on the lookout for one, or simply print my own as someone here suggested earlier. Glad I finally got this again.

Picked up Super Metroid yesterday. A copy came into the store I work at and I could not let anyone else get it. No case or manual so I'll be on the lookout for one, or simply print my own as someone here suggested earlier. Glad I finally got this again.

Such a good game. If you're serious about re-printing a replica box, check out nintandbox.com. They come out pretty good as long as you use cardstock.

10593494_292327794302871_1330190863_n.jpg

10593510_819658368064850_267244615_n.jpg

10570067_335364733284160_1358129510_n.jpg

Coda

Man that really hurts to look at. It's only gonna get worse so if anyone wants a particular retro game, you better get it sooner than later.

Jer

Stumbled on Space Megaforce yesterday at the retro game store and picked it up. Pricey, but it's probably only going to get worse. Hadn't even heard of it before, but it's awesome, love the weapon system. Makes me feel inadequate though, I'm so bad at shmups.

woodypop

Man that really hurts to look at. It's only gonna get worse so if anyone wants a particular retro game, you better get it sooner than later.
Agreed. These days I'm ecstatic to simply find reasonably priced games, let alone bargains. The hyper-inflated stuff that's become commonplace is so annoying. How high can things go?

Stumbled on Space Megaforce yesterday at the retro game store and picked it up. Pricey, but it's probably only going to get worse. Hadn't even heard of it before, but it's awesome, love the weapon system. Makes me feel inadequate though, I'm so bad at shmups.
How much did it cost you? I got a CIB copy for about $80 three or four years ago. It's a pretty well regarded game, but I honestly prefer the aesthetic in other shmups like Thunder Force IV, Axelay, and Raiden. Something about the ship and level designs in Space Megaforce come across as boringly mechanical and rather generic to me.

Jer

How much did it cost you? I got a CIB copy for about $80 three or four years ago. It's a pretty well regarded game, but I honestly prefer the aesthetic in other shmups like Thunder Force IV, Axelay, and Raiden. Something about the ship and level designs in Space Megaforce come across as boringly mechanical and rather generic to me.

It was $90 loose, which actually is somewhat less than it looks like it would cost on Amazon or eBay. CIB nowadays would probably cost at least $200, so you did good. Prices are insane.

This is my first SNES shmup, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I'm liking it, so I'll probably try to find Axelay too. Thankfully it's not quite as pricey.

HaL64

Such a good game. If you're serious about re-printing a replica box, check out nintandbox.com. They come out pretty good as long as you use cardstock.

10593494_292327794302871_1330190863_n.jpg

10593510_819658368064850_267244615_n.jpg

10570067_335364733284160_1358129510_n.jpg

I understand why people do this, because the real thing is so expensive, but it has a few caveats.
I bought a game from someone and ended up with a reproduction box, even though it didn't look like it in the pictures (looked more legit than yours). I don't think the person was trying to scam me, as they had good feedback, but they did say they bought the game from someone else.
Basically I suspect these things can get passed around without people realizing it. And for the collecting community, this is bad.

Olly88

I understand why people do this, because the real thing is so expensive, but it has a few caveats.
I bought a game from someone and ended up with a reproduction box, even though it didn't look like it in the pictures (looked more legit than yours). I don't think the person was trying to scam me, as they had good feedback, but they did say they bought the game from someone else.
Basically I suspect these things can get passed around without people realizing it. And for the collecting community, this is bad.

I see so many of those boxes being sold on eBay and it pisses me off for the same reason. So many people must end up with them after buying what they think is the real thing.

If they're boxes with custom art or labelled in some way to clearly let people know that they're not real, then that's different, but 99% of the ones I see are using the original art. Don't like it.

That's unfortunate and shady. I know nintandbox prints have their logo where the UPC goes, but that must be easy to cover in Photoshop. Be vigilant when buying and ask seller the important questions.

Jaeger

That's unfortunate and shady. I know nintandbox prints have their logo where the UPC goes, but that must be easy to cover in Photoshop. Be vigilant when buying and ask seller the important questions.

This. I also have no plans to ever let go of my copy of Super Metroid, which would naturally include the box I make to keep it in.

woodypop

I see so many of those boxes being sold on eBay and it pisses me off for the same reason. So many people must end up with them after buying what they think is the real thing.

If they're boxes with custom art or labelled in some way to clearly let people know that they're not real, then that's different, but 99% of the ones I see are using the original art. Don't like it.
If they're not somehow labelled as repros, is there any way we can tell them from original/authentic boxes?

Olly88

If they're not somehow labelled as repros, is there any way we can tell them from original/authentic boxes?

Not that I can think of, not online anyway. In person you could feel the material and compare it to originals, but just from looking at pictures I don't think there really is, they seem to have them looking pretty legit in the pictures from what I see these days.

To be honest, nowadays if I see a game where the box is in really good condition then I get suspicious, especially for popular games. At least from what I've seen they haven't started on Super Famicom... yet :(

I still have a bunch of my carts, but a lot of my boxes are likely gone or not in great shape. I used to put them under my bed, and kept the system/games in an old Swedish flag-coloured Adidas bag. I took it with me to my grandparents'.

I've got the Donkey Kong Country and Super Star Wars games, Captain America and the Avengers, Sunset Riders and Turtles in Time, plus about 30 others. My cousin should still have his Super Mario RPG.

Bancho

I got a couple of US SNES consoles and whilst they are easier to mod for SFC cartridges by removing the tabs (which I have already done), the PSU is an issue. The SFC and even the PAL consoles use a standard power adaptor (suitable to their original domestic market) which is easy enough to get a regional version of where the US unit has a power input plug that is hard to find as a generic adaptor connection, almost proprietary. So then you're into step-down converter territory but I prefer to use local power units for my import consoles where available.

Plus the US SNES looks like hot garbage compared to the SFC/PAL console.

20150407_195617.jpg

This was my solution to the US SNES PSU issue. That adapted allows me to us a Model 1 Megadrive/Genesis PSU. I just cut the cable off the PSU and soldiered on the correct Barrel fitting for the MD PSU. Simple but effective solution.

Mzo

I hate that people remember the crappy home ports of Captain America and the Avengers and not the awesome arcade game. It doesn't just look ugly, it changes the rules of the game for the worse.

It's like the SMS Double Dragon port where the main game mechanics are just absolutely broken and nobody talks about it because people don't actually play games.

Ban Puncher

20150407_195617.jpg

This was my solution to the US SNES PSU issue. That adapted allows me to us a Model 1 Megadrive/Genesis PSU. I just cut the cable off the PSU and soldiered on the correct Barrel fitting for the MD PSU. Simple but effective solution.

I could never butcher a working official PSU to solder up a part.

If I ever come across a dead one though, all bets are off.

If the US SNES tip is available as a spare part from somewhere though, even better.

Bancho

I could never butcher a working official PSU to solder up a part.

If I ever come across a dead one though, all bets are off.

If the US SNES tip is available as a spare part from somewhere though, even better.

Reason I butchered up a US one is i'm in the UK. It had no use to me what so ever. I was using a Maplin part to convert my MD PSU which ended up being utter shit. This way I keep the original connection without the risk of blowing up my US snes, which is what happened with the Maplin part.

Yup. Unfortunately the truth. I'm about to be priced out of the hobby. Can't drop a couple of hundred on a game. Got kids to feed. Mortgage to pay.

Still kicking myself for trading in all my old games for $90 to Babagges toward a 3DO.

Teknoman

Yup. Unfortunately the truth. I'm about to be priced out of the hobby. Can't drop a couple of hundred on a game. Got kids to feed. Mortgage to pay.

Still kicking myself for trading in all my old games for $90 to Babagges toward a 3DO.

Go after the cheap stuff and save the rest for later.

You know, thats one system i'm surprised i've never seen anywhere in the wild even once. At least i've seen a TG16 randomly in a Toys R Us bargain bin, and a Master system at a friend's house in his big brother's room. But never a 3DO or CD-i even in a store.

Coda

I just bought a legit Japanese copy of Alien Soldier. It just may be the last expensive retro game I buy, but after playing it a bunch on actual hardware all I can say is that it was worth every penny. It might be my favorite hardcore retro game of all time at this point.

Top Bottom