• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Lettuce

Stumbled on Space Megaforce yesterday at the retro game store and picked it up. Pricey, but it's probably only going to get worse. Hadn't even heard of it before, but it's awesome, love the weapon system. Makes me feel inadequate though, I'm so bad at shmups.

Yeah its one of the best shooters on the SNES, the JPN version is slightly cheaper and is superior to the US version

There are differences?
Not in gameplay, the two versions are the same there, but in story -- they ditched most of the plot and mostly cut the female copilot out of the game. See, they cut most of the intro out of the US version, put in a new (much shorter, but admittedly kind of cool visually) ending, removed the art of the female copilot character from the Options screen, and changed the story.

Here's the weird thing about the changes they made. Okay, you know the box & cartridge art in the US version, with that woman's face with electronic equipment on her? Isn't it weird that she's there, but doesn't appear in the game? Well, as I described above, she does in the Japanese version, in the intro, in the options menu, and in the ending. She's behind the pilot guy in the ship -- the full intro pans back to show her, after the bit in the US intro of him in the cockpit of the plane. She's not on the Japanese cover. Why add her to the box, but remove her from the game? It's weird.

There's no text in the Japanese intro, but there is text in the ending (in Japanese of course, though there are translations online -- www.vgmuseum.com has translated screenshots for example).
The Japanese ending is longer than the US one and actually has some story in it, instead of just 'the badguys ship blew up, you fly away, the end' as the US version is.

Oh, the European version of the game is, content-wise, identical to the US one; even though it's called "Super Aleste" just like the Japanese version is, and not Space Megaforce, it's otherwise identical to the US release.

... Despite knowing all this, I bought a loose copy of Space Megaforce two and a half years ago when I saw it locally for $40. Just couldn't resist, it is an amazing game. (I just looked at some stuff I wrote about it when I got the game; apparently it was $32-$80 on ebay back then. It's gone up a lot since then -- looks like it's $75-$150 now for loose copies, and almost always at least $100... gah, price inflation.)

The Japanese boxart is pretty awesome, though, definitely better than the US box, though the US box is good too:

51161_front.jpg

51162_front.jpg

Ban Puncher

Not in gameplay, the two versions are the same there, but in story -- they ditched most of the plot and mostly cut the female copilot out of the game. See, they cut most of the intro out of the US version, put in a new (much shorter, but admittedly kind of cool visually) ending, removed the art of the female copilot character from the Options screen, and changed the story.

Here's the weird thing about the changes they made. Okay, you know the box & cartridge art in the US version, with that woman's face with electronic equipment on her? Isn't it weird that she's there, but doesn't appear in the game? Well, as I described above, she does in the Japanese version, in the intro, in the options menu, and in the ending. She's behind the pilot guy in the ship -- the full intro pans back to show her, after the bit in the US intro of him in the cockpit of the plane. She's not on the Japanese cover. Why add her to the box, but remove her from the game? It's weird.

There's no text in the Japanese intro, but there is text in the ending (in Japanese of course, though there are translations online -- www.vgmuseum.com has translated screenshots for example).
The Japanese ending is longer than the US one and actually has some story in it, instead of just 'the badguys ship blew up, you fly away, the end' as the US version is.

Oh, the European version of the game is, content-wise, identical to the US one; even though it's called "Super Aleste" just like the Japanese version is, and not Space Megaforce, it's otherwise identical to the US release.

... Despite knowing all this, I bought a loose copy of Space Megaforce two year and a half ago when I saw it locally for $40. Just couldn't resist, it is an amazing game. (I just looked at some stuff I wrote about it when I got the game; apparently it was $32-$80 on ebay back then. It's gone up a lot since then -- looks like it's $75-$150 now for loose copies, and almost always at least $100... gah, price inflation.)

The Japanese boxart is pretty awesome, though, definitely better than the US box, though the US box is good too:

The announcer is also different between Space Megaforce/Super Aleste PAL and Super Aleste on SFC.

Teknoman

... Despite knowing all this, I bought a loose copy of Space Megaforce two year and a half ago when I saw it locally for $40. Just couldn't resist, it is an amazing game. (I just looked at some stuff I wrote about it when I got the game; apparently it was $32-$80 on ebay back then. It's gone up a lot since then -- looks like it's $75-$150 now for loose copies, and almost always at least $100... gah, price inflation.)

Yeah I got the Japanese version for cheap complete awhile back (thought I was buying cart only at the time, which was pretty lucky) but had no idea if there were actual differences like Contra 3 vs Shin Contra Spirits or whatever.

But yeah, that was probably a good move to snag an NA copy since it'll probably just keep going up.

I need to sit down with that and Axelay next.

Also more people should play Phalanx. The music is worth it, and the game isnt that bad, especially for its price.

Yeah I got the Japanese version for cheap complete awhile back (thought I was buying cart only at the time, which was pretty lucky) but had no idea if there were actual differences like Contra 3 vs Shin Contra Spirits or whatever.

But yeah, that was probably a good move to snag an NA copy since it'll probably just keep going up.

I need to sit down with that and Axelay next.
At $40 it's one of the most expensive SNES games I own (and maybe the most expensive)... and now it sells for twice that and more. Yet another game where I hadn't realized how bad the price inflation had gotten recently... I'm certainly glad I'm not trying to start a NES or SNES collection now, that's for sure. :p (And I wish I'd gotten Demon's Crest when it was cheaper... ah well)

Also, what differences does Contra have? I didn't know there were some, but that makes sense, Contra for NES and Contra Hard Corps for Genesis have some big changes. I'm not a Contra series fan though, so I don't know much about version differences beyond those two games.

Also more people should play Phalanx. The music is worth it, and the game isnt that bad, especially for its price.
Phalanx isn't bad, but it isn't good either. Quite average game, I think. The graphics are good,. but the gameplay doesn't quite match the visuals. The bullets blend in to the backgrounds constantly, too, which is a big issue. But yeah, at least it's not expensive... but there's a reason why Space Megaforce costs so much more, it's a much better game.

The announcer is also different between Space Megaforce/Super Aleste PAL and Super Aleste on SFC.
Oh yeah, you're right. That doesn't affect gameplay, but it is different.

Lettuce

... Despite knowing all this, I bought a loose copy of Space Megaforce two and a half years ago when I saw it locally for $40. Just couldn't resist, it is an amazing game. (I just looked at some stuff I wrote about it when I got the game; apparently it was $32-$80 on ebay back then. It's gone up a lot since then -- looks like it's $75-$150 now for loose copies, and almost always at least $100... gah, price inflation.)

Nice summary, i believe the music is slightly different on the JPN version but cant remember what, i think i remember that the JPN version had more instruments in the tracks on some of the stages

Yep, ending and real final boss on Normal in Contra Spirits.
Huh, Contra 3 has multiple endings? I didn't know that. I've never finished a Contra game though, so yeah. They're very hard games and I don't like the series enough to put the time into most of the games to get that good. I do like Contra Hard Corps a lot but that game's so ridiculously hard... and after that I guess Operation C for GB is good, but I haven't finished that one yet. Contra 3, though... eh, it's been a long time since I actually played it, but I've never been all that impressed. I'd probably like it more if I hadn't played Hard Corps long before I played the SNES game, and the Genesis game feels much better and improved over its predecessor.

Also has a 30 man code like Contra 1!
That would be nice, I don't know if I've gotten even halfway into Contra 3...

lazygecko

Few games from the last couple of weeks;

Judge Dredd is actually quite good, at least from the first 2-3 levels that I've played so far. It looks really nice, too.

It's a decent enough game. I had the Genesis version back in the day but never beat it. What's interesting is how it goes beyond the movie plot and actually has Judge Death as the last boss in another dimension.

The game feels similar to the Genesis version of Robocop Vs Terminator, and it's closer to what I would have wanted that game to be like (I find RvT somewhat overrated).

D.Lo

I've beaten both Contra 3 and Contra Hard Corps...Hard Corps is better but harder!!!
I've beaten every Contra game and I'll never understand the Hard Corps love. It messed with the formula too much, it's a boss rush memorisation-fest without the best, most fun parts of Contra, which are about using your reflexes to beat levels and bosses, not your memory. iI'll take 80s action movie music over techno in my Rambo game too please. But that's a side issue.

Contra Spirits was the first step down the wrong path for the series, it's very event/memorisation heavy. But still has some good classic reflex gameplay. Hard Corps goes off the deep end.

Jaeger

Can anyone tell me why Ninja Warriors (Ninja Warriors Again SFC) is so expensive? Both SNES and SFC versions are listed at high prices? Is is a rare game in all regions or something?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Can anyone tell me why Ninja Warriors (Ninja Warriors Again SFC) is so expensive? Both SNES and SFC versions are listed at high prices? Is is a rare game in all regions or something?

These days, SNES games need only be "uncommon" to garner outrageous prices.

Teknoman

I hear ya. Great game but $150 (more with case and manual) is definitely higher than I'd thought it would be. It does seem to be rarer than I thought at least.

Ninja Warriors 150 bucks? Since when?

EDIT: Whoa. Well Operation Logic Bomb went through a similar spot on Amazon a little while ago. Just wait for more people to post I guess.

Theres also this on ebay to make a best offer:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Ninja-W...537?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e9aa142c9

Jaeger

Ninja Warriors 150 bucks? Since when?

EDIT: Whoa. Well Operation Logic Bomb went through a similar spot on Amazon a little while ago. Just wait for more people to post I guess.

Theres also this on ebay to make a best offer:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Ninja-W...537?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e9aa142c9

A copy came into the game store I work at. We of course have to price everything we get and I was just kind of shocked.

That same person brought in all three Final Fight games, Contra III, all three Streets of Rage games (with boxes), Splatterhouse 2 with box and so much more. It was a cool haul to see.

Anyone got a Sharp SF-1?

tumblr_nigwcrZhE61trd5aoo1_1280.jpg

I think it tops out at S-Video, but I was always interested in the hardware.

Googled it, and this came up:
18.jpg

If you can get hold of a Sharp SF1 (the SNES TV), that is the best way to play SNES games. No question about it.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Famicom_Naizou_TV_SF1

The image is crisp and clear, since the SNES is built directly into the TV itself.

Sharp and Nintendo teamed up to release a NES version of it, too - the C1F.

Good luck finding one, though. It was released in Japan only and they can go upwards of $1000 on eBay when they pop up.

The wiki page he/she is linking to says the following:
Released only to Japanese markets, the unit retailed in 1990 as a next generation successor to the 1983 C1 television also produced by Sharp and licensed by Nintendo. Like the C1, the SF1 was noted as having superior picture quality to a SFC plugged into a standard television.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Yeah, pretty sure we had this discussion before and that the Sharp SF-1 really isn't better than a SNES hooked up via RGB.

graffix13

Yeah its one of the best shooters on the SNES, the JPN version is slightly cheaper and is superior to the US version

Yep, that's what I did. I bought Super Aleste instead of the more expensive Space Megaforce.

Great game. One of my favorite shmups. Maybe my #1. Too bad I'm terrible at it though.

Teknoman

Beat em ups: I've got Rushing beat series, battletoads, double dragon, tmnt, power rangers. Anything I'm missing out aside from obvious ( Capcom games, Sonic blast man)?

I saw ghost chaser densei...but of course it's stupid expensive now.

BTails

Beat em ups: I've got Rushing beat series, battletoads, double dragon, tmnt, power rangers. Anything I'm missing out aside from obvious ( Capcom games, Sonic blast man)?

Batman Returns? Haven't played it in years, but I remember it being pretty decent.

Ninja Warriors Again
Shin Nekketsu Kouha: Kunio-tachi no Banka

Lettuce

That's an okay game, but no way is it worth that kind of money.

95% of the snes games on eBay aren't worth the prices asked!!!....its just got stupid now even mediocre games ask upwards of £15 and that just for the cart...and you can forget 'Good' snes games at that price. Also whats with a large percentage of snes auctions being only 'buy now' auctions

One of the best is Undercover Cops a great conversion of the Arcade game....only came out in JPN and PAL, stupidly expensive though! :(

Legend, i kind of golden axe clone

Pirates of Dark Water

Jaeger

Gurume Sentai Barayarō.

RexRogers

Neo Member
I checked out all the games last night. The guy had 100% on the DKC, three 100%'s on the Zelda, two 100%'s on SMW, and was nearly all the way there on two games of Super Metroid. Quite impressive.

Top Bottom