• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

I've finally had time to unpack some boxes and setup the man cave, the collection of games and Lego's from my childhood days as well as recent pickups for the gaming collection. Heres a snapshot of the section of shelves for my Nintendo games games over the generations.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/422/19247867942_d569417e6b_h.jpg" width="1600" height="900" alt="shelf 1"></a>[IMG]

Cropped out of view above the area, are the Nintendo consoles. Cropped out of view below are the 80s-90s Lego sets.[/QUOTE]

I see Spawn. I was looking into that one after hearing the folks behind Skyblazer made it, but it looks really underwhelming. :(

I've finally had time to unpack some boxes and setup the man cave, the collection of games and Lego's from my childhood days as well as recent pickups for the gaming collection. Heres a snapshot of the section of shelves for my Nintendo games games over the generations.

a>

Cropped out of view above the area, are the Nintendo consoles. Cropped out of view below are the 80s-90s Lego sets.

Have you looked into VideoGameBoxProtectors (I think it's called). Acid free plastic boxes? SNES boxes are fragile :p

I see Spawn. I was looking into that one after hearing the folks behind Skyblazer made it, but it looks really underwhelming. :(

I love the Spawn franchise, but the game isn't that great. It's fairly difficult and you have to input Spawn's special moves via directional inputs and button presses, and the game moves too quickly and swarms you with enemies which make pulling off the high level moves way harder than it should be. It's a superhero game where you don't feel very super at all.

To a spawn fan like me, it's a 7/10.

To a non-fan it's probably a 3 or 4.

Type_Raver

I didnt mind it, the special moves were a bit complex to pull but theres a satisfaction of pulling them off and beating the bosses. But its spawn, wicked character!

Have you looked into VideoGameBoxProtectors (I think it's called). Acid free plastic boxes? SNES boxes are fragile :p

Thanks for the heads up. I havent put any thought into it but might consider it at a later date. Plus it spoils the presentation on the shelf :p lol

So, anyone here put in much time on the Parallel Worlds fan hack? I have a repro that won't seem to update the save file when I do Save and Quite and I'm not sure if that's part of the game, or if something is wrong with the rom...

D.Lo

Thanks for the heads up. I havent put any thought into it but might consider it at a later date. Plus it spoils the presentation on the shelf :p lol
Box protectors totally don't spoil the presentation. They actually make things looks 'newer' in my experience, by adding shinyness.

HaL64

Yeah, it's just incredible because even things like secret of evermore that I remember being like $30-$40 for CIB are like $100 now.

A couple years ago when I started collecting CIB snes I was like "Holy crap this shit is expensive." Glad I got all the heavy hitters I wanted first. I remember spending $65 on CIB Super Metroid and thinking I got it for a good deal. Now it's doubled in value. Chrono I got for $125 CIB. Now its $250? Secret of Evermore I got for $50. Now it's $100?
X3 I just completed for pretty cheap, especially considering the going rates.
Someone just bought this for $500, and its not even mint.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mega-Man-X3-Super-Nintendo-SNES-Complete-in-Box-CIB-Near-Mint-Rare-Nice-Works-/111648376089

Certainly a good investment if I wanted to start selling now, but who knows where prices will go. :)

Oh and here is my copy in all of it's glory:

D.Lo

In the age of 3D printing I take everything like this with a grain of salt, but it does look exactly like that era of Sony plastic moulding.

Like the exact right late-80s corner shape (Sony were a bit behind the times, design wise, in the early 90s, the Super Famicom looks more stylish than the PS1 which was four years later).

I mean, in the end it would just be a slightly better PCE CD I guess? Like the equivalent of big cartridge games with CD music.

In the age of 3D printing I take everything like this with a grain of salt, but it does look exactly like that era of Sony plastic moulding.

Like the exact right late-80s corner shape (Sony were a bit behind the times, design wise, in the early 90s, the Super Famicom looks more stylish than the PS1 which was four years later).

I mean, in the end it would just be a slightly better PCE CD I guess? Like the equivalent of big cartridge games with CD music.

I haven't gotten around to checking out the assembler thread, but I feel like if it was fake there'd be a lot more skepticism, but instead it's all coming across as just pure excitement. Dunno.

Mark5130

I'm wondering what came up in conversation that made the dad remember that he had that in his attic all this time. Not exactly a day to day causal topic.

Cheerilee

Or FF7 protoype?
that was snes playstation?
Nope.

Sony was quietly gathering developers (like Square) under the "SNES CD" banner for some time before they unveiled their "Play Station" at CES in summer 1991.

Then Nintendo (not happy with the partnership being tilted entirely in Sony's favor) declared war on Sony by revealing their competing SNES CD hardware, made by Phillips. Sony told developers "Nothing to see here, keep working on those PlayStation games."

Sony and Nintendo stared each other down for about a year (1992) before Sony surrendered and gave Nintendo total control over the Play Station. Nintendo declared that they were going to merge the Phillips and Sony designs to make one super-console, and Sony knew that was nonsense so they walked away from Nintendo and vowed revenge.

Square was forced to downgrade Secret of Mana (1993) to fit on an SNES cart, because it was clear that Nintendo was never going to make an SNES CD, and Square was vocally unhappy about it.

Chrono Trigger was released in 1995. Right after Chrono Trigger, they started work on FF7-SNES, but it was canned when Square decided to jump to next-gen, which was the N64 by default. FF7-N64 never got past experimenting with the analog controller before Square decided to give up on Nintendo and jumped to Sony's ship.

I'm wondering what came up in conversation that made the dad remember that he had that in his attic all this time. Not exactly a day to day causal topic.
According to the thread on this...

Sony made 200 Nintendo PlayStations. After the breakup, Sony ordered them all destroyed. Olaf Olafsson (a major figure from Sony America) said "Screw that, I'm keeping mine." He eventually moved on to a new company, and his Nintendo PlayStation was apparently seen sitting on his desk as a conversation piece.

This company went bankrupt, and the dad (an employee of Olaf) was told to throw away a pile of computer junk. The dad kept the junk. The kid was looking through the junk one day, and said "What's this? Some sort of PlayStation prototype?"

It has a "2" handwritten on the bottom of it. It might be #002 of 200 (Kutaragi probably kept #001), and it survived two separate execution orders.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Kinda disappointed that the guy said he wouldn't open it up. Would really like for people to do the research to determine what kind of AC adapter it would need and try and power the thing on to see if it would work.

Teknoman

Kinda disappointed that the guy said he wouldn't open it up. Would really like for people to do the research to determine what kind of AC adapter it would need and try and power the thing on to see if it would work.

Well it shows the voltage on the back, shouldnt be too hard to figure it out right?

D.Lo

If someone could scan it and analyse the insides, it could be pretty easy to recreate.

I mean, it's a SNES with a ram cart and a CD drive, which already exist in working form as hong kong pirate machines. 3D print up a case, stuff a Super Fami Jr, a CD drive and some extra bits inside, could be done as a hobby project.

Jaeger

Found this incredibly well preserved Street Fighter II Turbo box with all the inserts (no manual however) at my local flea market. VERY awesome since my copy was current loose.

I also tracked down one of the controllers for the SNES for SFII. Just need to remove the sticker and I'll be in business.

Nope.

Sony was quietly gathering developers (like Square) under the "SNES CD" banner for some time before they unveiled their "Play Station" at CES in summer 1991.

Then Nintendo (not happy with the partnership being tilted entirely in Sony's favor) declared war on Sony by revealing their competing SNES CD hardware, made by Phillips. Sony told developers "Nothing to see here, keep working on those PlayStation games."

Sony and Nintendo stared each other down for about a year (1992) before Sony surrendered and gave Nintendo total control over the Play Station. Nintendo declared that they were going to merge the Phillips and Sony designs to make one super-console, and Sony knew that was nonsense so they walked away from Nintendo and vowed revenge.
At which point they got buddy-buddy with Sega of America, having developed quite a few Sega CD titles, and got as far as getting the SoA execs to pitch the idea of a jointly-developed Sega Playstation to Sega of Japan... who immediately shot it down with the assertion that Sony didn't know a damn thing about making consoles.

Of course, that was the same Sega of Japan that was incredibly jealous of how well the Genesis was selling in North America compared to the Mega Drive's mediocre performance back home, and who later forced Sega of America to try and figure out how to sell the 32X and Saturn at the same time. Obviously, they were the best judges of what would and wouldn't sell...

(Yes I know this is the SNES thread not the Genesis or Saturn threads shut up)

been lurking in this thread for months now, and finally ordered a Super Nintendo mini this week.

I'm not looking to start a huge collection, just my old favorites that are easy to pick up and play, specifically marrio All Stars, real world, Star Fox, Tetris Attack, Tetris and Dr Mario, maybe Super Metroid.

Any tips on where to start? (I'm in Toronto) kijiji or flea market or eBay?

Following up on my post about getting a rare SNES for cheap. The guy just never responded to my texts so I assume he either sold it or got cold feet. He was going to sell me a copy of Hagane for $50. Figured it might be a fake but I was ready to crack open the cart before buying. If it's too good to be true....

Jaeger

That's awesome. I never see boxed games in that condition @ the flea market.

There is a really hardcore game store setup at my flea market. The guy even has numerous arcade cabs setup across from his large area. He has rare stuff like Radiant Silvergun and other ST-V games, for example. Lots of Neo Geo games, too (and a console, too boot). He even has a working LaserActive player. I'll post pictures of all his stuff when I go again Sunday.

There is a really hardcore game store setup at my flea market. The guy even has numerous arcade cabs setup across from his large area. He has rare stuff like Radiant Silvergun and other ST-V games, for example. Lots of Neo Geo games, too (and a console, too boot). He even has a working LaserActive player. I'll post pictures of all his stuff when I go again Sunday.

That's really awesome. I'm guessing the seller sells online as well and the flea market is just their physical storefront? Unless there's a rabid market for that kind of obscure stuff in your area?

Jaeger

That's really awesome. I'm guessing the seller sells online as well and the flea market is just their physical storefront? Unless there's a rabid market for that kind of obscure stuff in your area?

There's gotta be because all he has is a FB which he barely keeps updated. There are at least 4 retro game stores in Northern AL so I guess it is a high demand. "Retro Alabama Game Exchange" on FB. I work at one of the more popular stores and we operate close to the flea market near a Chic Fil A. Lol

Thinking of picking up a few super Famicom games since they are much cheaper than the super Nintendo counterparts...any risk to this? Aside from the language barrier, but then again who needs English to play Super Mario All Stars? :)

Playing on an snes mini USA model. I guess I have to remove the region locking cart tabs in the console?

If you have a SNES Jr it has to be modded for S-video and/or RGB. Regular SNES will work just fine.
Nope, just a regular SNES. Now, I haven't been able to find any TVs with more than one S-Video port. I do have this old RadioShack S-Video/Composite to Coaxial converted box (circa 2004). If I use S-Video with that how much of a quality hit will it take compared to just direct S-Video on the TV?

CRT by the way.

ZealousD

Nope, just a regular SNES. Now, I haven't been able to find any TVs with more than one S-Video port. I do have this old RadioShack S-Video/Composite to Coaxial converted box (circa 2004). If I use S-Video with that how much of a quality hit will it take compared to just direct S-Video on the TV?

CRT by the way.

The quality hit will be massive. It would be as bad as if you used RF from the SNES directly. There's basically no point.

If you want to hookup multiple systems using S-Video, better to use a switch box instead.

The quality hit will be massive. It would be as bad as if you used RF from the SNES directly. There's basically no point.

If you want to hookup multiple systems using S-Video, better to use a switch box instead.
So something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00008X5DE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Also, what are the best S-Video cables for the SNES/N64/GC? The ones on Amazon that I am finding are both composite/component and the reviews say it isn't true S-Video and they get checkerboard patterns when using S-Video.

ZealousD

So something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00008X5DE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Also, what are the best S-Video cables for the SNES/N64/GC? The ones on Amazon that I am finding are both composite/component and the reviews say it isn't true S-Video and they get checkerboard patterns when using S-Video.

Yeah, a switch box like that would work.

I don't know what the "best" s-video cables would be. But I bought mine off eBay. I would look for any cables that don't have a composite video plug attached.

I hear good things about the official

The SVHS cable that was officially sold by Nintendo:

8EC31135-C73F-0C99-6415E3E877684957.jpg

or import from Japan.

I hear the Monster S-Video cable for Gamecube was really good too.

Top Bottom