• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

It took me less that an hour to disassemble my console, clean it, snip the tabs and reassemble. Not sure why it would take longer than 5 min.

On a side note, I picked up Yoshi's Island. I played part of it on the 3DS ambassador program, but damn does it look beautiful on a CRT and sounds great through my sound bar. Also picked up Power Rangers for $5, seems pretty cool from what I've played.

It took me less that an hour to disassemble my console, clean it, snip the tabs and reassemble. Not sure why it would take longer than 5 min.

On a side note, I picked up Yoshi's Island. I played part of it on the 3DS ambassador program, but damn does it look beautiful on a CRT and sounds great through my sound bar. Also picked up Power Rangers for $5, seems pretty cool from what I've played.
I like Power Rangers. Same engine as Ninja Warriors Again!

Mzo

On a side note, I picked up Yoshi's Island. I played part of it on the 3DS ambassador program, but damn does it look beautiful on a CRT and sounds great through my sound bar.

I think the GBA port looks like trash. It's sad that it's the only version up on the eShop.

HaL64

Yeah, I was about to say, lol. Took me about 30 seconds. Just gouged them out with a chiseling tool.

These work wonders on that plastic.

414t7uLh8KL._SX342_.jpg

Cheerilee

I still don't know why anyone would have reservations about doing the tabs mod. It takes 30 seconds, is 0% visible and 100% awesome.

Do you know what else takes 30 seconds? Circumcision.

Remember the old carpenter's saying, measure twice, cut once. Once you make a cut, you can never go back, so you better make sure it's the right cut.

Holy god. I just played Captain America & the Avengers for the first time in nearly 15 years. Those have to be the worst controls on SNES. Like, I thought my controller was broken bad.

TeaJay

Talk about strange coincidences. My friend was doing maintenance on my AV Famicom and while reading this thread, I mentioned to her that I'd like to get the game Super Aleste, since I tried it on an emulator and hear good things about it. She just happened to have a PAL cart idle and let me have it for a very good price, so that'll be my next project to tackle.

My SNES collection is kind of small, but I've strived for quality instead of quantity:

Some of these games have been with me for ages. Chrono Trigger box is all worn up but getting a condition upgrade would cost an arm and a leg.

As for console, I have a modded PAL SNES with 50/60 switch and a modified cartridge slot. Works fine for all kinds of games.

Do you know what else takes 30 seconds? Circumcision.

Remember the old carpenter's saying, measure twice, cut once. Once you make a cut, you can never go back, so you better make sure it's the right cut.

Not exactly sure how to respond to that. This isn't quite so ... delicate.

c-murph

I don't have too many CIB games left over the years. Chrono Trigger and FFIII were my babies. Kept them in awesome condition. I also still have a copy of Star Wars and Mega Man Soccer sealed.

Talk about strange coincidences. My friend was doing maintenance on my AV Famicom and while reading this thread, I mentioned to her that I'd like to get the game Super Aleste, since I tried it on an emulator and hear good things about it. She just happened to have a PAL cart idle and let me have it for a very good price, so that'll be my next project to tackle.

My SNES collection is kind of small, but I've strived for quality instead of quantity:

Some of these games have been with me for ages. Chrono Trigger box is all worn up but getting a condition upgrade would cost an arm and a leg.

As for console, I have a modded PAL SNES with 50/60 switch and a modified cartridge slot. Works fine for all kinds of games.

I'm with you, quality over quantity. Sold my awesome snes collection around a decade ago (literally the top 20 games on the system, complete with boxes). Just got back into snes and super famicom collecting again, but this time being realistic about prices (not overpaying) and syncing up my Wii and U virtual console collection with what I may want on carts.

These days I don't care to own chrono and ff6 and Metroid on carts. Way too expensive, and there's already awesome VC versions with suspend/resume for adult life interruptions :)

Much cheaper to buy the boxes separately as collector display.

But stuff like turtles in time, Mario all stars, no VC and great pick-up-and-play cartridge games :)

Zing

Banned
I enjoyed Secret of Mana back at it's original release, but never got too far into the game, since I took a break from video games for a few years right after it came out. Several years ago, I gave it a try again, and just couldn't get into it. The combat felt boring, as I would just attack to stun them, wait for power to recharge, then attack again. Teammates would just run around and felt useless. The final straw was how magic felt too weak, and this was confirmed by reading articles in magazines where they just recommended spamming the spells outside an inn to level them up. After trying the game with my girlfriend a bit and still not enjoying it much, I sold my CIB for a decent price.

Well, I was just watching a "top 20" video, and of course this game was on it. I was convinced to give it another try. I immediately went on ebay in search of a copy with manual, and hopefully with map. I found precisely that for auction (a rarity these days) with only three minutes to go! I threw up a modest snipe (I use a third party website) and quickly browsed sold listings to get a feel for what would be a good price. I discovered that my bid was on the low side, even for an auction. I made haste to go raise my bid, but it was too late. The auction had ended, and I won with my "low" bid.

Looking forward to playing this game again. To be honest, my gaming state of mind is quite different from when I last owned the game, so I expect that I will find it auite tolerable.

Now to seek out the other RPG that I gave up on during that same time period.
Illusion of Gaia

I enjoyed Secret of Mana back at it's original release, but never got too far into the game, since I took a break from video games for a few years right after it came out. Several years ago, I gave it a try again, and just couldn't get into it. The combat felt boring, as I would just attack to stun them, wait for power to recharge, then attack again. Teammates would just run around and felt useless. The final straw was how magic felt too weak, and this was confirmed by reading articles in magazines where they just recommended spamming the spells outside an inn to level them up. After trying the game with my girlfriend a bit and still not enjoying it much, I sold my CIB for a decent price.

Well, I was just watching a "top 20" video, and of course this game was on it. I was convinced to give it another try. I immediately went on ebay in search of a copy with manual, and hopefully with map. I found precisely that for auction (a rarity these days) with only three minutes to go! I threw up a modest snipe (I use a third party website) and quickly browsed sold listings to get a feel for what would be a good price. I discovered that my bid was on the low side, even for an auction. I made haste to go raise my bid, but it was too late. The auction had ended, and I won with my "low" bid.

Looking forward to playing this game again. To be honest, my gaming state of mind is quite different from when I last owned the game, so I expect that I will find it auite tolerable.

Now to seek out the other RPG that I gave up on during that same time period.
Illusion of Gaia

Let us know how it goes!

Havent tried Gaia either in years but I remember how much marketing it had back in the day.

Timu

Once I kill a few mini bosses/bosses without dying to them I will be able to no death Contra 3 on Hard. I no death Stages 1, 2, 5 and 6 so far.

Mark5130

Save the money and go cart only. Cart only for the snes isn't bad because you can see what games sit on the shelf, unlike that other console.

You have no idea how much I'd love to do that, but I have a crippling OCD with certain things pertaining to my game collection, and SNES is probably the worst. Specific high-end titles, like the MMX games, would drive me crazy just sitting on the shelf loose.

I've peicemealed a lot of my SNES stuff, so I'll probably look into that.

Half of my snes collection is boxed and about 25% of my n64 is as well. If I can get a deal on them great, if not, I'm just happy to have the game in good working condition.
Edit: although I would like a boxed Super Star Wars to complete my boxed Star Wars set.

Timu

Half of my snes collection is boxed and about 25% of my n64 is as well. If I can get a deal on them great, if not, I'm just happy to have the game in good working condition.
Edit: although I would like a boxed Super Star Wars to complete my boxed Star Wars set.
Those Star Wars games are freaking hard, I don't know how I managed to beat them!!!

I played through all 3 in one night about 20 years ago. No way I could do that now my reaction time is not what it used to be. They are tough games although, I thought they got progressively easier as the were released. The hardest being the first with no password system. The second really kicks my ass in cloud city, because too many "leap of faith" jumps, with small platforms and enemies knocking you back.

I haven't played through Return of the Jedi recently, but I would imagine the use of mode 7 in the Death Star run would be the death of me. I can't see my eyes handling that mess for 10 min straight.

pirata

So, I got all of those games I bought in the auction I talked about on the last page...I got the SNES Link to the Past working after cleaning it, and the Game Genie worked right away (and I managed to get an American game to boot from it), but I can't get my Super Famicom copies of Super Metroid and Tetris Battle Gaiden to boot from the Genie. I destroyed the two tabs so that the games can fit, the game Genie loads up, but I just get a blank screen when I press start. I know that some games don't work with a Game Genie, specifically latter games and those that use special chips, but I could have sworn I saw Giant Bomb play TBG using a Game Genie on an old stream. I also, cleaned the Japanese games, but no luck.

I know the answer at this point is probably to bite the bullet and go into my SNES with a pair of pliers, but I want to see if I can get the Game Genie method working first. Does anyone know if there are any lists on the internet of Japanese games that can't be booted from GG? Are there any GG codes that can be used to bypass this? I've tried searching online, but all I've found is examples of people asking the same questions.

Cheerilee

Is it really that good? I'm not really an action RPG guy, though my favorite snes games are Square RPG's. Is this worth a buy? Reproduction of course.

Repros are gold-plated piracy, made with the blood of sacrificed SNES games.

Get an Everdrive for silver-plated piracy (or just use an emulator) and then decide for yourself if it really needs that gold plating.

TheMoon

Is it really that good? I'm not really an action RPG guy, though my favorite snes games are Square RPG's. Is this worth a buy? Reproduction of course.

Had this come out in NA, it would today be named in the same breath as Chrono Trigger, Earthbound and FF VI.

Repros are gold-plated piracy, made with the blood of sacrificed SNES games.

Get an Everdrive for silver-plated piracy (or just use an emulator) and then decide for yourself if it really needs that gold plating.

Repros are absolutely piracy, and I find it kinda shocking how on super anti-pirate GAF nobody ever seems to care, but thankfully they need not be made from other carts any more. There are flash boards that can be used for most SNES games, and reproduction shells have been made for a long time.

And of course, if you just want to play translations of your existing JP-only games, an Everdrive is by faaaaaar the way to go.

anyone here have a Retron 5?

Love the SNES mini (esp sound!) but composite looks pretty bad on a big TV.

Would be nice to have HDMI and save states, but $160 is a lot of retro games. Plus I see some mixed Amazon reviews. New hardware revisions any better?

I would strictly be playing Super Nintendo and regular Nintendo games on it.

Teknoman

Repros are absolutely piracy, and I find it kinda shocking how on super anti-pirate GAF nobody ever seems to care, but thankfully they need not be made from other carts any more. There are flash boards that can be used for most SNES games, and reproduction shells have been made for a long time.

And of course, if you just want to play translations of your existing JP-only games, an Everdrive is by faaaaaar the way to go.

I wouldnt say that. Its still cool to have the actual JP SFC cart, box, and play the game in a language you understand off said cart (get cart translation patched).

D.Lo

I wouldnt say that. Its still cool to have the actual JP SFC cart, box, and play the game in a language you understand off said cart (get cart translation patched).
Terranigma was released in English, so it's no excuse for that game.

I'm fine with repros of games that are translated if they weren't released in my territory. Basically anything that an informed buyer would not confuse with a real cart.

D.Lo

True...but isn't it one of those PAL optimized games? Wont work right on an NTSC SNES /SFC?
Just did a google, it's not PAL optimised, but only boots at 50Hz. Put a Hz switch in the console (easy mod), disable the lockout (even easier) and it will run fine.

Better yet, get a modded PAL SNES and avoid a console that looks like a frilled lavender robot turd altogether!

;)

Welp SNESGAF, I finally did it. I found a mint copy of Chrono Trigger w/ manual for $100.

Not that great of a deal, but I have wanted it for years now and finally just decided to go for it.

I also snagged DKC2, Super Metroid and Killer Instinct (meh, but it's the only colored cartridge game I didn't have yet). Time to stock up on some custom cases!

Top Bottom