• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Mark5130

So what's the deal with the numbers stamped on the back label of SNES carts? It's been bugging me for some time now. I've read that the number supposedly ties to manufacturing or a specific company, and if a specific game has the wrong number, it could impact the value, such as someone switching backs in the case of a torn or worn label. Anyone have any insight on this?

So what's the deal with the numbers stamped on the back label of SNES carts? It's been bugging me for some time now. I've read that the number supposedly ties to manufacturing or a specific company, and if a specific game has the wrong number, it could impact the value, such as someone switching backs in the case of a torn or worn label. Anyone have any insight on this?

I assume that would be the case, but there's no database at least that I'm aware of that could verify so I'm not sure replaced backs would affect value.

The some of the later Majesco "Made in Mexico" carts don't have a sticker though, and instead have the information molded into the plastic to save on manufacturing costs. That would be a big red flag and affect the value of games that never shipped like that, I'd imagine.

Has anyone here used the RetroTrio? I'm not sure how much space I'll have in my new place to set up my consoles. Between the PS2, GameCube, N64, SNES, Genesis, and NES it is a lot of space.

Seeing it's a hardware clone and not an emulation box makes me like it more, and it includes an S-Video port so it should look good on my CRT.

Has anyone here used the RetroTrio? I'm not sure how much space I'll have in my new place to set up my consoles. Between the PS2, GameCube, N64, SNES, Genesis, and NES it is a lot of space.

Seeing it's a hardware clone and not an emulation box makes me like it more, and it includes an S-Video port so it should look good on my CRT.

I will always prefer original hardware, but there's a GAF impressions thread here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=764771
It's worth noting that the S-Video will work for SNES but not NES.

Sound is a crapshoot too apparently: http://youtu.be/IhbMB0yJ4EQ?t=2m55s

RexRogers

Neo Member
Yeah. As mentioned before, the cheaper combination composite/s-video cables have more interference or often result in a checkerboard pattern.

In my experience, the checkerboard pattern is a result of the motherboard revision and not the s-video cable itself. The mid-model SNES's (CPU-RGB, CPU-GPM, CPU-APU) have noticeable worse video output when using s-video compared to the original SHVC or later 1-CHIP models.

Wanted to show you all something. I don't see it discussed much but Micomsoft made a line of joysticks for 8- and 16-bit consoles called the XE-1. I got a SFC version and it's pretty cool. Stick is true arcade clicky style, and the face buttons are on a dial that rotates 270 degrees so you can get them at your preferred angle (look at the buttons in the second pic). This version even has programmable macros but I don't know how to do that.

N8zFvoA.png

Rt8xhAT.png

What I really want is the Famicom version. But it seems there's very few on eBay and they have about a $200 asking price. I got this one for about $75 shipped.

Zing

Banned
Is there really that much variation amongst s-vid cables?

Some of the cheap ones have the s-video wires connected to the composite wires (composite is simply the s-video chroma and luma in one signal). This almost always causes poor image quality.

The numbers are some sort of production code. Most collectors wouldn't know if you switched. However, the rear label also will contain the ROM revision marking, in the form of a letter (A for PRG1, B for PRG2, etc), and this can be important. I personally only collect the latest revision of each game, so I always ask about the rear label.

Zing

Banned
Hey, I never did pick up E.V.O., let's check out ebay.

What... The...

It's now going for more than a boxed copy of Earthbound was several years ago. That is just insane.

D.Lo

Am I correct in thinking you live in Japan D.Lo? If so do you know how much the Fami or PCE versions go for there?
No I don't live in Japan, but when I go there I do a lot of 'digging' at Hard-Off etc. Never seen any of those sticks in the wild. Yahoo Auctions is your best bet for anything Japanese though.

She deserves losing that income for misspelling "than", tbh.

In seriousness, eBay auctions are an unexpectedly fruitful source of entertainment

Cheerilee

What if the ex-husband stole them, lol?

More likely, she used eBay as a way to get back at him, but she's not willing to actually lose money on eBay (she has standards), so she tosses eBay to the curb after getting the reaction from him that she wanted. And comes up with a new story, in case he comes around asking again.

Don't date people who are only dating you to try and make someone else angry. Unless you just want to tap that and get out.

Mzo

It's a BIN. I could put a naked cart SMW at the same price if I wanted to.

It's too bad eBay doesn't charge you for wasting everyone's time with a high BIN that no one bites on anymore.

Was surprised to pick this up for $4 at Savers.

Amazing deal!!! I gave up and bought on virtual console today. Went to three flea markets last week and the cheapest was $90. No way.

So $10 VC, can use the $80 saved on a replacement SNES controller and maybe one for my PS4 as well.

Exuro

Yeah I was completely surprised as my Savers normally doesn't have games, but I walked by the glass area(where they put more expensive stuff) and it was in the back laying flat next to a slim ps2. Instantly recognized the label and had someone check the price. After getting it I could help but think that it wouldn't work, save was borked or was a completely different game, but thankfully it looks good. Started it up and there are saves. This'll probably be the best thrift I'll have for a while.

pirata

So, last night I popped my eBay cherry by bidding on a US copy of A Link to the Past (which I won) and a Super Famicom-to-SNES converter, which I was still winning when I left for work this morning with an hour left on the bid...but I found out when I got home that I had been outbid right before the auction ended. However, after I had bid on the converter last night, I had went ahead and bought a SFC copy of Super Metroid and Tetris Battle Gaiden to play on the adapter.

In order to be able to play those games that have already been shipped to me, I ordered a Game Genie, since I know that it can be used as an improvised adapter (and I don't want to mutilate my old family SNES). However, I have a few questions I want to run by GAF for the edification of myself and anyone reading:

1. What type of screwdriver should be used to open up a Game Genie?
2. Where and how should be plastic tabs inside of it be cut? I can't seem to find any visual guides anywhere.
3. What type of compatibility issues are there? I've been reading that the Game Genie won't work all of the time, like with games that use special chips like the FX chip. There's also talk of late SFC games that have specific lock-out chips. Is there any truth to this? Anyone have any concrete examples of stuff that won't work?

Thanks!

Mzo

The Game Genie doesn't have any tabs to cut. At least not the version I had.

Umihara Kawase doesn't boot up through a Game Genie, dunno if there are others like it.

Teknoman

You aren't mutilating it. You'll never know the difference by cutting tabs, and SFC carts just look better sitting correct in the system.

Just clip off / bash down the snes tabs and embrace region free as its meant to be.

Was surprised to pick this up for $4 at Savers.

That's a world class thrift find, congrats!

So I have a weird issue that I can't seem to Google..pulled out my childhood SNES while we were reorganizing the closet and noticed that it had aged a little, some yellowing on the controller port plastic.

The really weird thing though is that the Power and Reset switches have turned incredibly dark purple, almost like an overripe plum. In all my years of buying SNES systems I can't ever remember seeing this before, and I can't seem to find anyone else online who has. WTF? It's been in a cool, dry, dark, temperature controlled room for the past year or two, and the buttons were still the normal purple the last time I played it.

You aren't mutilating it. You'll never know the difference by cutting tabs, and SFC carts just look better sitting correct in the system.

Just clip off / bash down the snes tabs and embrace region free as its meant to be.

+1

Just removed the tabs in my SNES mini last night. Took about an hour and looks fine. I like that the carts fit properly. Check youtube for methods.

I loooooove SFC carts. Cheaper and with awesome art labels.

Top Bottom