• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

madmackem

New collector here, I just bought a Retron five don't kill me and am looking into reliving my childhood starting with Snes collecting. First game I paid a few quid more than I should for super mario all stars but it's one game I remember wanting so badly when I was a kid. Looking around locally North East England is slim pickings for retro I might be forced to eBay.

New collector here, I just bought a Retron five don't kill me and am looking into reliving my childhood starting with Snes collecting. First game I paid a few quid more than I should for super mario all stars but it's one game I remember wanting so badly when I was a kid. Looking around locally North East England is slim pickings for retro I might be forced to eBay.

Yeah, I tried looking locally ( live close to Durham ) for my N64 collection and turned up with nowt. Ebay was the way forward. You just have to be patient and try not to succumb to paying the Buy It Now prices.

madmackem

Yeah, I tried looking locally ( live close to Durham ) for my N64 collection and turned up with nowt. Ebay was the way forward. You just have to be patient and try not to succumb to paying the Buy It Now prices.
Yeah some of the prices are a bit high I paid too much for the one game I have so far, come pay day with a lot of spare coin it's going to be hard to keep myself in check haha.

I've had way more luck in less populated areas for old game purchases in Canada. Any big city has a raft off people scouring every yard sale, flea market, and pawn shop to buy stuff at like reasonable or cheap prices and sell them on ebay or in store at ebay prices; you will not beat these people to the punch.

As far as ebaying, common thing to suggest about SNES stuff is to buy Japanese versions where it makes sense, since they're usually way cheaper. Super Mario Collection is cheaper than Super Mario All Stars, especially CIB, and it's basically the same game and requires zero Japanese skill. Same goes for Rockman X3, which is a fraction of the price of a Mega Man X3 cart. For JPRGs it's kinda harder since there's a lot of text, but you can always buy a Super Famicom JPRG (which are usually crazy cheap for whatever reason) and apply a translation patch to play it translated on a Super Everdrive.

madmackem

Just got a Snes pad from Amazon seller said it was used in good condition, came missing three screws and feels loose. My collecting ain't started off so well, anywhere in uk that has decent pads for sale repop or official.

Anth0ny

Super Metroid is also in English if you buy the Japanese version. I bought the Super Famicom version complete with box for less than it would cost for the loose, SNES cart. One of the best games ever made!

fantastico

Just got a Snes pad from Amazon seller said it was used in good condition, came missing three screws and feels loose. My collecting ain't started off so well, anywhere in uk that has decent pads for sale repop or official.

The Retro-bit wired controllers are nearly as good as the original ones in my opinion. You should be able to get one for 5-6 quid new as well. I can't guarantee that they work with a retron 5 though, you might want to check first.

TheMoon

ASCIIware's Asciipad is the best 3rd party controller. I like it more than the OG.

This opinion is correct.

First third party controller I ever owned. Only third party controller I ever liked. So good.

It feels exactly like a SNES pad only you can also hold it with bigger grown-up hands since it has that extra space at the top. Plus turbo buttons are super useful. Ironically, CGR just posted a review of it last night. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Flq52HSL-04 :D

I bought way too many games this past month. Gotta build that collection. Mostly Super Famicom cuz I love the art on the labels.

TMNT 4 turtles in time
Mario world
Mario all stars ("collection")
Aladdin
Terranigma
Ff6 (Japan's CIB)
Chrono trigger (again Japan CIB)
Starfox
Uniracers
Tetris attack
Tetris battle gaiden
Donkey kong trilogy
Super metroid
Yoshis Island
Area 88 (un squadron)
Batman returns

More to come. Printed custom labels and attached to a photo box containing each cartridge.

Snes gaming is so sweet.

I love this game & know body talks about it. :( Batman's sprite looks badass, throwing people into the background, breaking benches, windows etc... & the music is great.

I wouldn't even have thought about it if not for playing the new Batman Arkham Knight on PlayStation 4. I started to look up retro Batman games and Batman Returns was at the top of that list. It is simply amazing and pure fun, the graphics that they got out of the 16-bit Super Nintendo - it's phenomenal.

Konami was on a roll back in the 90s.

Mzo

I love it as well, but it's tough on Mania.

Gotta use that Batarang to stun. Really the difficulty comes from the bosses, which do ridiculous damage. I surprised myself by getting through the hardest difficulty relatively painlessly last time I played it.

I love the little things, like the way you can wait for a sword swallower to stick a sword down his throat before bataranging him and causing him to lose a fat chunk of health. This Batman is a murderer!

Timu

Gotta use that Batarang to stun. Really the difficulty comes from the bosses, which do ridiculous damage. I surprised myself by getting through the hardest difficulty relatively painlessly last time I played it.

I love the little things, like the way you can wait for a sword swallower to stick a sword down his throat before bataranging him and causing him to lose a fat chunk of health. This Batman is a murderer!
Catwoman can kill you in like 2 hits...lol.

Also, dude, you kick ass at these various difficult games.o_O It takes me a lot of time now to beat these hard ass games without too much trouble.

TeaJay

I love this game & know body talks about it. :( Batman's sprite looks badass, throwing people into the background, breaking benches, windows etc... & the music is great.

Well thank you very much, I did a quick test on an emulator and now I gotta buy this game.

Somehow I was thinking of the horrible Batman game on the SNES the AVGN reviewed, but that was indeed Batman Forever. Batman Returns, however, seemed like a lot of fun and I can't believe it's flown under my radar. I wonder if the Super Famicom version is any different, since that one can be picked up very cheap.

Well thank you very much, I did a quick test on an emulator and now I gotta buy this game.

Somehow I was thinking of the horrible Batman game on the SNES the AVGN reviewed, but that was indeed Batman Forever. Batman Returns, however, seemed like a lot of fun and I can't believe it's flown under my radar. I wonder if the Super Famicom version is any different, since that one can be picked up very cheap.
I think the Dracula XX cover artist did the cover for the SFC version. It's great.

Mercutio

I think the Dracula XX cover artist did the cover for the SFC version. It's great.

What a horrible shame that it had to be put on Dracula XX.

YES THAT'S RIGHT I'M BRINGING MY DRACULA XX HATE INTO THIS

The art is totally better than what's actually on the PC Engine Rondo of Blood tho

Impotaku

Finally have a complete copy of wonder kitchen, just by accident i stumbled across the auction. Finding a copy of the game with manual and box is relatively easy, finding it also in mint condition and with the winners congratulations letter from Ajinomoto most certainly not.

I can now offload my not as mint copy when this one arrives :)
$(KGrHqJ,!lYE6B5nQCVbBOo7EdRhS!~~60_57.JPG

Cody_D165

Banned
Guys.

I did it. I fucking did it. The Holy Grail. It's mine.

Without going into too much detail, I did get it at a retail store but for a very fair price, and after burning a lot of saved up store credit I got it for around the price of a cart-only copy. It's in incredible condition. The strategy guide is flawless.

Scratch and sniff cards are there and everything...

First thing I did when I got home was order a box protector for this thing. I'm so fucking excited.

Picked one up at a store known for being overpriced, snes, for $25 CDN (around $18 USD). Not bad. I'm sure if I shopped around it would be cheaper.

Now if only I could find super turrican 2...

Guys.

I did it. I fucking did it. The Holy Grail. It's mine.

Without going into too much detail, I did get it at a retail store but for a very fair price, and after burning a lot of saved up store credit I got it for around the price of a cart-only copy. It's in incredible condition. The strategy guide is flawless.

Scratch and sniff cards are there and everything...

First thing I did when I got home was order a box protector for this thing. I'm so fucking excited.

Not a big Earthbound fan but I respect your game. That's a HUGE find!!!! The guide - wow - that takes me back. Such perfect condition.

Gurrry

I went to the classic gaming expo in austin texas today. It was fucking rad!!! I finally got some games!!

Legend of Gaia - 30

Link to the past - 40

2 sweet shirts - 35

And..

A retroduo 2.0!!! This thing is so bad ass!! And legend of gaia is awesome! Ive never played it before and im glad to start my collection with 2 really great games.

I went to the classic gaming expo in austin texas today. It was fucking rad!!! I finally got some games!!

Legend of Gaia - 30

Link to the past - 40

2 sweet shirts - 35

And..

A retroduo 2.0!!! This thing is so bad ass!! And legend of gaia is awesome! Ive never played it before and im glad to start my collection with 2 really great games.

Excellent start. Been looking for a reasonably priced Gaia here. Currently playing terranigma :)

Be sure to post a quick review of the retroduo 2.0

Gurrry

Excellent start. Been looking for a reasonably priced Gaia here. Currently playing terranigma :)

Be sure to post a quick review of the retroduo 2.0

Will do. Gonna try and hook it up to a TV later and see how it does. Hopefully its just like an snes.

Fingers crossed!!

I went to Classic Game Expo and saw Dracula X SNES priced at $245 cart only. I had a hearty laugh and saw some of the other prices that this clown had, like $75 for Contra 3, $65 for Cybernator and other such lameness. It was bad.

Timu

I went to Classic Game Expo and saw Dracula X SNES priced at $245 cart only. I had a hearty laugh and saw some of the other prices that this clown had, like $75 for Contra 3, $65 for Cybernator and other such lameness. It was bad.
Da hell? They keep going up in prices!!!

Gurrry

Yea dude the prices were furked. The Guy that I bought Zelda from had it priced at $50. I tried to talk him down to $35 but he met me at $40. I am new to retro video game collecting and I didn't realize how expensive all of theseGames would be. I checked online afterwords and I only ended up paying a few more dollars than eBay prices but still everything is really expensive. Do you live in austin? Where do you normally go to get good prices on games around here?

Da hell? They keep going up in prices!!!

Sort of, it's mostly a product of a handful of very aggressive lurkers in online classifieds, donation stores, and garage sales. Based on the posts here, seems like this is happening in every city.

Artificial price inflation. Used to see this back in the 80s with baseball cards and the 90s with comics. Now also seeing this today with vinyl records too.

Yea dude the prices were furked. The Guy that I bought Zelda from had it priced at $50. I tried to talk him down to $35 but he met me at $40. I am new to retro video game collecting and I didn't realize how expensive all of theseGames would be. I checked online afterwords and I only ended up paying a few more dollars than eBay prices but still everything is really expensive. Do you live in austin? Where do you normally go to get good prices on games around here?

Giving back to a fellow GAFer thanks to the advice I got :). Check our own BST forum, retro forums, and eBay (typically buy it now, newer listings). Waaaaaay better prices.

Also just say no to the rare ones. I don't own chrono anymore for example, cuz quite frankly the $100+ can go to something else, and most importantly, there's a fantastically accurate version on the Wii VC store for less than $10.

$40-50, sure, I can do that, if the game isn't available somewhere else in an accurate port. But id rather have a big collection averaging $20 a game than break the wallet and all eggs in one $150 single game.

RexRogers

Neo Member
I live in Austin and the only place I've ever found good deals on old games is from Craigslist. You have to watch it like a hawk and the deals come once in a blue moon, but they do show up. It pretty much sucks.

It was pretty out of hand with that guy. There were a few other sellers there that had more reasonable prices at least, but I'm not in the market for SNES at the moment, aside from a copy of Macross Scrambled Valkyrie.

Gurrry

I live in Austin and the only place I've ever found good deals on old games is from Craigslist. You have to watch it like a hawk and the deals come once in a blue moon, but they do show up. It pretty much sucks.

Yeah thats what I figured. I wanna try some flea markets or pawn shops, but I doubt there is much out there that hasnt already been picked to death. I really just want a few more games, not going for a full collection or anything. My next game is Castlevania IV. It looks to be about 20-30 on ebay.. so I might just pull the trigger on that soon.

Top Bottom