• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

psylah

I'm new to neogaf I would show you my small collection if I could I'm not to sure on how to upload pictures, some advice would be great. I can't wait to be a part of this community :)

Images will need to be hosted on another website. For a quick picture upload I use http://www.imgur.com

Go there, click "Upload Images" at the top of the page, click "Browse your computer" and select the image. After that, click "Start Upload".

Imgur should take you to a page where the image is now hosted. On the right there are different URLs pointing to the image, you want to copy the BBCode version and paste it into the message field on Neogaf.

If the image is too big, put it in a Quote. To do this, highlight the full IMG link while editing the message and click the button above the message field that looks like a speech bubble.

Just got back into collecting I used to have SMRPG, earthbound, super metroid, FF 4 and 6, illusion of Gaia and loads more CIB. I foolishly sold the collection for a 4 figure sum. Biggest mistake I ever made ( I did keep chrono trigger i couldn't have sold that lol)

Games I have in my collection all CIB

Super Ghouls and Ghosts
Battletoads in battle maniacs
Chrono trigger
Mystic quest

On the way

Donkey kong country 3
Plok
Super putty ( a weird quirky game I grew up with lol)
Contra 3 the alien wars
Illusion of Gaia

There's one problem. I don't have a CRT television it's like owning a Ferrari but without the keys I can't get a hold of one. I've searched high and low. Unfortunately I'm playing them on my LCD TV which looks like comeplete shit.

I'm new to neogaf I would show you my small collection if I could I'm not to sure on how to upload pictures, some advice would be great. I can't wait to be a part of this community :)

Welcome to GAF! You will live the retro threads here.

I'm in a similar boat and know your Ferrari pain. I have a great NES collection and some good SNES stuff, too. I have a CRT but no place to put it in my living room. I'm aiming for a Framemeister by September (my birthday) ahead of the NES 30th anniversary in October so I can play classics on my plasma TV.

Chomposaur

Neo Member
Welcome to GAF! You will live the retro threads here.

I'm in a similar boat and know your Ferrari pain. I have a great NES collection and some good SNES stuff, too. I have a CRT but no place to put it in my living room. I'm aiming for a Framemeister by September (my birthday) ahead of the NES 30th anniversary in October so I can play classics on my plasma TV.

Is that a scart to HDMI connector? Will getting one of those be better than having a big bulky CRT TV. I have a really nice 46 inch LCD

cantona222

latest

I started playing Super Metroid two days a go (Never beat it before). This game is frustrating me. I always find it difficult on what to do next and always get stuck. I check youtube videos and find the way to progress to be unfair. Example: to bomb a wall that has no indication to be breakable. And this is not a secret area, it is the way to progress the game.

I don't think I'm gonna beat it.

Note: I played Metroid Prime & Metroid Prime 3 Corruption and beat them with no major issues.

TheMoon

latest

I started playing Super Metroid two days a go (Never beat it before). This game is frustrating me. I always find it difficult on what to do next and always get stuck. I check youtube videos and find the way to progress to be unfair. Example: to bomb a wall that has no indication to be breakable. And this is not a secret area, it is the way to progress the game.

I don't think I'm gonna beat it.

Note: I played Metroid Prime & Metroid Prime 3 Corruption and beat them with no major issues.

You need to look at the surrounding areas more carefully. I'm assuming you're referring to the wall in the elevator room to Norfair. There's always some kind of clue.

cantona222

You need to look at the surrounding areas more carefully. I'm assuming you're referring to the wall in the elevator room to Norfair. There's always some kind of clue.
You are correct. I meant the wall in the elevator room to Norfair. Also in one area I needed to bomb the ground in order to progress.

TheMoon

You are correct. I meant the wall in the elevator room to Norfair. Also in one area I needed to bomb the ground in order to progress.

Generally, if it looks like there might be something or there should be something on the other side of a wall or in the next room, try bombing the walls/ground. It's always a safe bet and far less obnoxious than in, say, the original Legend of Zelda. Bombing walls can also reveal that they might need to be destroyed by other items. Later you'll find a thing that will help you detecting these kinds of things.

Chomposaur

Neo Member
Ok so should I buy one of these SCART to HDMI converters to be able to play my SNES on my LCD TV? It's more convenient for me instead of buying a CRT TV. I'd like to ask a few questions for those who know.

Do I need the Nintendo scart cable to plug into the box and then put the HDMI lead into it?

Is the picture crystal clear? Also is it full screen.

There's a few listings on Amazon and eBay the converter is £30 and the lead is £8 I'll supply a few links to make sure I'm getting the right things

For the HDMI converter

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=221844946560&globalID=EBAY-GB

For the scart lead

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=171896201307&globalID=EBAY-GB

Khaz

I'm from the UK Craigslist is not very well known over here

I've tried local charity shops, gumtree, eBay. Carboot sales nothing.

Come on now, you're not even trying.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Televisio...20Technology=CRT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684
http://www.gumtree.com/search?sort=...eras&search_location=uk&min_price=&max_price=

Besides, you're from a European country, you have cheap CRTs with RGB Scart, AKA the best display for old consoles ever! (ok, second to professional displays, but still, the point stands.) And join us in the display thread if you need more advice on how to use your consoles with your newly found TV.

Is that a scart to HDMI connector? Will getting one of those be better than having a big bulky CRT TV. I have a really nice 46 inch LCD

It's not better. It's a decent alternative at best. It's also the best at what i does, which is upscaling. Every other cheap Scart to HDMI you can find on Amazon are real crap that you shouldn't even consider.

Chomposaur

Neo Member

Gurrry

Ordered rockman 7 from japan like 2 weeks ago, still not here. Ebay's predicted date is sept 3rd so I cant ask for a refund then, and its apparently already been shipped.

Starting to worry. It sucks too cause it was a great price and I really want to play this game.

Khaz

And btw will a 16:4 TV stretch the image or should I stick to a 4:3

If you only plan to play on 5th gen and before, stick to 4/3. The one you linked may be good but you want to see them to be sure. Brands TV tend to have more connections and be better looking, but often have the same tubes and electronics as no-name, with the notable exception of Sony and its Trinitron.

You need to observe them meticulously to make sure the screen isn't scratched, and have them display something to make sure they effectively work. Scratches are here forever so don't hesitate to pass on a TV if it has some. Don't assume you'll be able to disregard them during gameplay, if anything it will attract your sight even more.

Bring your console or anything that can display a picture that you know. Geometry can be usually corrected so don't worry too much about it when buying, except for horizontal parallelism (if the top right of the screen is lower than the top left when displaying an horizontal line for example). A vertically compressed picture is a sign of a failing tube, stay away from them.

Size is personal preference. I can't go below 21 inches and I'm sitting approximately 1m away from the screen but some users here are plenty content with a 14 inches PVM.

Ordered rockman 7 from japan like 2 weeks ago, still not here. Ebay's predicted date is sept 3rd so I cant ask for a refund then, and its apparently already been shipped.

Starting to worry. It sucks too cause it was a great price and I really want to play this game.

what does the tracking say? Has it actually left Japanese customs? If it's only been 2 weeks, I'd not sweat it too much. I've had items come from Japan take almost a month, but everything has always arrived.

5amshift

Banned
I guess SNES collecting isn't a specific place to ask, but since it's different with PS/PS2 collecting, what do you guys do with boxes when collecting? I'd hate to have a large collection of Super Famicom games without boxes, then some with. Do you just keep them loose and store the boxes elsewhere? Sell them? I really have no preference, but I like to keep everything the same.

Bancho

IMG_20150818_205648%202.jpg

Super Horse Everdrive -

Could not resist putting a bid in for this as a replacement shell for my super everdrive and it turned up today.

It's some shit Japanese online Horse Racing Betting game but it has a wicked shell. Its like a dark gun metal grey and looked perfect to house my ED board in. I cut down my SD card so it is now half height so it all fits inside without having to cut a hole in the shell.

I was originally going to create a new label for it but I've decided to leave to original label on. When people see it in the SNES they will wonder why I've been playing some shit horse game hahaha.

Be patient. I don't think I've ever received games from Japan in two weeks

I guess SNES collecting isn't a specific place to ask, but since it's different with PS/PS2 collecting, what do you guys do with boxes when collecting? I'd hate to have a large collection of Super Famicom games without boxes, then some with. Do you just keep them loose and store the boxes elsewhere? Sell them? I really have no preference, but I like to keep everything the same.

The only cart-based system I have many boxed games for is the NES. I have more than 100 games, about 40 CIB. Games are all loose in a drawer. Boxes are stored carefully in another box. I might display them one day, but don't have the space right now.

I surely would not buy CIB games only to sell the box. Keep the boxes in case you want to sell a few later on in order to get other more desirable games. CIB value is way way above loose value for most games worth collecting.

Gurrry

what does the tracking say? Has it actually left Japanese customs? If it's only been 2 weeks, I'd not sweat it too much. I've had items come from Japan take almost a month, but everything has always arrived.

no tracking # provided, economy shipping

and yeah you guys are right, ill just wait it out. it just feels like its been forever.

NDPsycho

I never keep carts in their boxes unless it's a duplicate. To much wear and tear on the box. Boxes go on a shelf in a protective sleeve. Carts either go in a drawer or universal case so they can be played at any time.

Shipping from Japan is weird. Sometimes it's a week, sometimes it's a month. I wouldn't worry yet.

SO TRUE! Ordered like a dozen individual games that last couple months. 8 arrived in less than two weeks. Two arrived in like a week (yes that fast).

One took exactly 4 weeks. And one has been missing for more than a month (still waiting).

I love super metroid so far but I'm also stuck in norfair. Got the dash suit and high jump boots and explored EVERYWHERE and can't find a way out. I tried to find my way to the elevator back up, but the column I dropped into has a jump that is way too high.

Off to YouTube I go for a hint...

On that note, I find super nes games more intuitive than current generation stuff. It's rare that I actually have to go online to look for a pathway, unlike a lot of my current games, current generation I mean.

TheMoon

I love super metroid so far but I'm also stuck in norfair. Got the dash suit and high jump boots and explored EVERYWHERE and can't find a way out. I tried to find my way to the elevator back up, but the column I dropped into has a jump that is way too high.

Off to YouTube I go for a hint...

On that note, I find super nes games more intuitive than current generation stuff. It's rare that I actually have to go online to look for a pathway, unlike a lot of my current games, current generation I mean.

tried
tumblr_m0oxd8hd0i1r0ralmo1_500.gif

?

SO TRUE! Ordered like a dozen individual games that last couple months. 8 arrived in less than two weeks. Two arrived in like a week (yes that fast).

One took exactly 4 weeks. And one has been missing for more than a month (still waiting).

I've always been hesitant to order from Japan because I've heard that sometimes you can get additional import fees tacked on? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Khaz

I've always been hesitant to order from Japan because I've heard that sometimes you can get additional import fees tacked on? Does anyone have any experience with this?

There is usually a threshold for taxes, under which you don't pay any. It's different for every country. But even if your parcel value is above it, you don't automatically get taxed. Either your package is randomly screened at customs (it happens, though extremely rarely) and you get to pay taxes at collection, or the private transporter you are using collects taxes for every parcel, with the addition of hefty fees. Usually paying premium to get your stuff quicker also means your transporter will collect taxes from you.

I've ordered plenty of stuff from around the world, and the only time I have to pay taxes is when the seller forces me to use the faster EMS. The last time it happened it was for 60€ worth of stuff: I paid 25€ for premium shipping, 12€ in taxes (that's fair), and 21€ in surprise collection fees from the local transporter. In the end I paid 58€ in shipping for 60€ worth of stuff. I was gutted, and I will never order from this seller again.

D.Lo

Yeah completely depends on the country. It's your own laws that may cause issues.

I'm in Australia and I've bought thousands of items from Japan (and elsewhere in the world) and never paid a cent in tax. Because our country is smart enough to realise the admin for <$1000 items costs more than can be collected in tax.

Peagles

Yeah completely depends on the country. It's your own laws that may cause issues.

I'm in Australia and I've bought thousands of items from Japan (and elsewhere in the world) and never paid a cent in tax. Because our country is smart enough to realise the admin for <$1000 items costs more than can be collected in tax.

I hope they don't change it to $20 or whatever they have been planning, mostly because whatever you guys do our govt has said they will follow ugh...

Highest value item was $23, all sent by post, and no issues with fees.

Can't speak to anything of higher value than that though.

Kapow

Anyone know what the cheapest way to purchase a sd2snes in the Greater Toronto Area or even online would be for a Canadian? I don't think I would pay more than 200 cdn for one as I'm only going to be using it to play a few of my games with translation patches.

Edit: I ended up just getting the super everdrive from Krikzz(?)'s site i think it came out to 120 or so.

Gurrry

Holy crap, just found out last night that there is a GameXchange 15 mins from my house. Went inside and their snes collection is pretty slim but had a nice genesis collection. I saw cybernator for like 5-8 bucks. Might go get it tonight.

Does anyone have any suggestions on cheap common titles that are good? Looking to beef up the collection with good cheap games but im always hesistant to pull the trigger on games ive never heard of before. Any help is appreciated!

Just finished Lufia 2. Pretty fun game. I didn't really care for the first, but Two grabbed me. I like the action elements with the hook shot and other items. Makes for some fun puzzles. Also had some pretty great music.

Game was pretty easy, though. I never dedicated time to leveling, but by the end I felt way over-leveled. Tour through the ending no problem just hammering away with normal attacks.

GloriousNL

Neo Member
IMG_20150818_205648%202.jpg

Super Horse Everdrive -

Could not resist putting a bid in for this as a replacement shell for my super everdrive and it turned up today.

It's some shit Japanese online Horse Racing Betting game but it has a wicked shell. Its like a dark gun metal grey and looked perfect to house my ED board in. I cut down my SD card so it is now half height so it all fits inside without having to cut a hole in the shell.

I was originally going to create a new label for it but I've decided to leave to original label on. When people see it in the SNES they will wonder why I've been playing some shit horse game hahaha.

Haha that's a good story. Which SD cart are you using which can be cut in half?

Cheerilee

Just finished Lufia 2. Pretty fun game. I didn't really care for the first, but Two grabbed me. I like the action elements with the hook shot and other items. Makes for some fun puzzles. Also had some pretty great music.

Game was pretty easy, though. I never dedicated time to leveling, but by the end I felt way over-leveled. Tour through the ending no problem just hammering away with normal attacks.

Ancient Cave

entremet

I've been playing MM7 recently. Great music but a really weak Mega Man in retrospect.

I plays very slow due to the bigger sprites and the level design is also a bit boring due to the same problem.

Games goes for a pretty penny on eBay these days, though.

ElTopo

Banned
I beat Contra 3 on hard and used only one continue. I just wanted to find an appropriate thread to boast about that... And now I'm done.

Had to grind at the final boss a bit for lives but I did it. I still prefer the game on Normal.

Timu

I beat Contra 3 on hard and used only one continue. I just wanted to find an appropriate thread to boast about that... And now I'm done.

Had to grind at the final boss a bit for lives but I did it. I still prefer the game on Normal.
Congrats. I'm still trying to not use a continue on it for a youtube playthrough.

Leonsito

I will be in LA next week and I'm looking at buying some ntsc games (I'm from Spain). I was looking to games that never were published here, the usual suspects, like Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, FF6, Earthbound,...

Some of the prices I saw were:

Super Mario RPG: $59
Final Fantasy III: $59
Chrono Trigger: $99
Earthbound: $199

What do you think of the prices?

And also, any other NTSC only gem I should look for? (I mean, games that never saw PAL release)

There is usually a threshold for taxes, under which you don't pay any. It's different for every country. But even if your parcel value is above it, you don't automatically get taxed. Either your package is randomly screened at customs (it happens, though extremely rarely) and you get to pay taxes at collection, or the private transporter you are using collects taxes for every parcel, with the addition of hefty fees. Usually paying premium to get your stuff quicker also means your transporter will collect taxes from you.

I've ordered plenty of stuff from around the world, and the only time I have to pay taxes is when the seller forces me to use the faster EMS. The last time it happened it was for 60€ worth of stuff: I paid 25€ for premium shipping, 12€ in taxes (that's fair), and 21€ in surprise collection fees from the local transporter. In the end I paid 58€ in shipping for 60€ worth of stuff. I was gutted, and I will never order from this seller again.

Highest value item was $23, all sent by post, and no issues with fees.

Can't speak to anything of higher value than that though.

Thanks for the info, I think I'll pull the trigger on that copy of Rockman X3 I've had my eye on :)

Kapow

I just spent about 300 bucks on a bunch of old Japanese complete in box titles, this collecting addiction is getting out of hand... I'll have to post some pictures when they all come in. Two big ones I ended up biting the bullet on were Star Ocean and Rudra no Hihou, the latter of which i've been dying to play for a while and is the main reason i bought myself an everdrive to play in english.

Got a handful of titles this week that have been harder and harder to find (Beauty and the Beast, American Tail, Metal Morph, Peace Keepers, Ardy Lightfoot, The Brainies). At this point I just assume every uncommon/rare title is going to be $80+ before you know it, and get it while I can.

Got a handful of titles this week that have been harder and harder to find (Beauty and the Beast, American Tail, Metal Morph, Peace Keepers, Ardy Lightfoot, The Brainies). At this point I just assume every uncommon/rare title is going to be $80+ before you know it, and get it while I can.

Are those games any good? Never hear anyone talk about these.

TeaJay

Been playing a lot of Batman Returns lately. Great, solid beat-em-up with fluid animations and satisfying combat. One annoying glitch, though: sometimes the enemies will warp to the bottom of the screen and be stuck there and impossible to hit. If I have a test tube, I can hit them using that, but otherwise I have to try and jump around and hope to hit them with a jumping cape attack or just be screwed.

Also is it just me or is the difficulty in Rockman X3 amped up from the previous games? I can beat X without much trouble and X2 relatively easily, but the third one kicks my ass. I'm having trouble with Tunnel rhino stage with Bit fight, the mini-boss and those damn annoying drill enemies which send a few drills out even when they die. It's always been very hard for me to charge a shot and do a dash-jump at the same time, but in X3, it just seems impossible.

Are those games any good? Never hear anyone talk about these.

Ardy Lightfoot and Peace Keepers are both good/very good

Haven't played the Hudson Soft games, but everything else they've released on the platform is good

I'm sure Metal Morph sucks, but who knows

The Brainies looks intereseting

Been playing a lot of Batman Returns lately. Great, solid beat-em-up with fluid animations and satisfying combat. One annoying glitch, though: sometimes the enemies will warp to the bottom of the screen and be stuck there and impossible to hit. If I have a test tube, I can hit them using that, but otherwise I have to try and jump around and hope to hit them with a jumping cape attack or just be screwed.

Also is it just me or is the difficulty in Rockman X3 amped up from the previous games? I can beat X without much trouble and X2 relatively easily, but the third one kicks my ass. I'm having trouble with Tunnel rhino stage with Bit fight, the mini-boss and those damn annoying drill enemies which send a few drills out even when they die. It's always been very hard for me to charge a shot and do a dash-jump at the same time, but in X3, it just seems impossible.

I love Batman returns!!! It was one of the few mature games for the system. And of course the movie was a shock to many given the dark themes.

I want to get Super Punch Out, after playing the heck out of the NES one. Can't seem to find it anywhere but eBay. Weird.

I will be in LA next week and I'm looking at buying some ntsc games (I'm from Spain). I was looking to games that never were published here, the usual suspects, like Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, FF6, Earthbound,...

Some of the prices I saw were:

Super Mario RPG: $59
Final Fantasy III: $59
Chrono Trigger: $99
Earthbound: $199

What do you think of the prices?

And also, any other NTSC only gem I should look for? (I mean, games that never saw PAL release)

I *think* ff3 and smrpg for $59 is pretty good. Then again I'm in a big city with a ton of retro demand (Toronto).

I saw CT with a slightly ripped label recently for $80.

Top Bottom