• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

RexRogers

Neo Member
I even tried to do the garage sale thing for a while. I had only the smallest bit of success. The problem is even if you show up before the sale opens you have three other collectors there already waiting. I had a couple occasions where someone showed up the night before and cleaned out the sale... Cheaters.

Teknoman

I even tried to do the garage sale thing for a while. I had only the smallest bit of success. The problem is even if you show up before the sale opens you have three other collectors there already waiting. I had a couple occasions where someone showed up the night before and cleaned out the sale... Cheaters.

Have you tried Half Price Books or any actual thrift stores that might not look like they have anything?

Mzo

NO EARLY BIRDS

Oh, I sold everything to a guy that was here two hours early.
OR
Oh, I sold everything to someone that called me two days ago and came by.

Sucks.

NO EARLY BIRDS

Oh, I sold everything to a guy that was here two hours early.
OR
Oh, I sold everything to someone that called me two days ago and came by.

Sucks.

EXACTLY.

I started hunting for games 3 summers ago. Basically at flea markets you got lucky here and there, and if you showed up at a garage sale a bit early you were first and got first choice. Now you might as well not even bother unless you feel like quitting your job. It's that ridiculous. Stupid actually.

Gurrry

So im starting to look at super famicom games because there are titles that ive never seen/heard of before that look amazing.

So far ive ordered Sanrio World Smash Ball and Tetris Battle Gaiden, two games I saw on a giantbomb stream awhile back.

But i found this other amazing looking game called Gunmans Proof. It looks incredible, but its a tad too expensive. Anyone ever played it before? It seems awesome!

So im starting to look at super famicom games because there are titles that ive never seen/heard of before that look amazing.

So far ive ordered Sanrio World Smash Ball and Tetris Battle Gaiden, two games I saw on a giantbomb stream awhile back.

But i found this other amazing looking game called Gunmans Proof. It looks incredible, but its a tad too expensive. Anyone ever played it before? It seems awesome!

I think the first-two are must haves for SFC importers. Never heard of Gunman's Proof before now. Just read the HG101 entry on it. Looks cool, for sure.

I've got Tetris battle gaiden on the way. Will post impressions soon.

Teknoman

Finally getting around to replaying Secret if Mana ( 1st time since the snes days and in co op no less) and its amazingly addictive. Any other similar experiences aside from Seiken Densetsu 3?

Edit: Gunman's proof used to be stupid cheap early 2014... At least the "well known" SFC exclusives aren't too high.

Had this come out in NA, it would today be named in the same breath as Chrono Trigger, Earthbound and FF VI.

Dude I owe you big time for recommending Terranigma! Spent hours with it on the weekend, more tonight.

This game needs to be talked about more. I completely agree with you, it is in the same quality category as games you mentioned.
-cool character
-epic soundtrack
-unique sprite art
-eases the player into it
-skill not memorizarion
-fantastic story and atmosphere

Can't say enough good things about it. Well worth the price.

TheMoon

Dude I owe you big time for recommending Terranigma! Spent hours with it on the weekend, more tonight.

This game needs to be talked about more. I completely agree with you, it is in the same quality category as games you mentioned.
-cool character
-epic soundtrack
-unique sprite art
-eases the player into it
-skill not memorizarion
-fantastic story and atmosphere

Can't say enough good things about it. Well worth the price.

Wow, glad it has clicked with you like it did with me all those years ago. :D

Gurrry

waiting for tetris battle gaiden and hello kitty smash ball is killin me.

why cant japan be closer?

ive also been playing illusion of gaia and the game is friggin awesome. ive beaten 2 bosses so far.. and I think im heading towards the infamous vampire boss i keep reading about. ive been saving all my herbs.. hopefully its worth it!

waiting for tetris battle gaiden and hello kitty smash ball is killin me.

why cant japan be closer?

ive also been playing illusion of gaia and the game is friggin awesome. ive beaten 2 bosses so far.. and I think im heading towards the infamous vampire boss i keep reading about. ive been saving all my herbs.. hopefully its worth it!

I get mailed games faster from Japan than anywhere else in north america lol.

Is IG worth a play? Seems pricey, story looks bizarre. Wondering if its worth trying after terranigma.

Is IG worth a play? Seems pricey, story looks bizarre. Wondering if its worth trying after terranigma.

IoG truly did nothing for me :(

Did it recently go up in price? Nintendo was the publisher and they produced a lot of copies. It could have been purchased loos for under $20 until recently...

Illusion of Gaia is amazing, it's my favorite game in that genre on the SNES for sure! Yes, I put it slightly above Link to the Past (because I've always been a bit critical of that game). Terranigma might be even better, but Illusion of Gaia is fantastic. The first game, Soul Blazer, is much more primitive, IoG's better than it by a good margin.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
So my US SNES has the dreaded black screen of death. Is there any fix for this? Google seems a little scattered between power pack (which has worked fine for over a decade), connectors (possibly) and... blown motherboard :(

It turns on, and with SMW in the slot you get a single coin ding before infinite blackness :(

Any ideas, GAF?

Zing

Banned
That isn't too bad considering it was $80-100 back when I sold mine three years ago. All the SNES Natsume games are relatively rare and also in high demand.

It doesn't help that it is the best game in the series. :)

Gurrry

picked up super ghouls n ghosts today at the local shop for 20 bucks. fucking shit this game is hard. cant even beat the first stage.. lol. i knew it was tough going in though. it will be one of those games where its just constant trial, error and memorization... but im down for that.

however, it has someones name on it in red marker. does anyone have any suggestions on what to use?

also - if there are any giant bomb fans out there.. I saw a cart at the shop that said "RYAN DAVIS" on it. it was a wwf wrestling game too.. ;(. I know it cant really be the real ryan davis's cart.. but I almost picked it up just in case.

Rongolian

Banned
Isopropyl alcohol and a little elbow grease should remove it. And it doesn't have the risk of damaging the cart. :)

While this is true, be careful about using alcohol near the labels! In many cases the labels will be fine but some carts got lower quality, less glossy labels (possibly the manufactured in Mexico versions) which can actually have colors rubbed off very easily with alcohol!

Just thought I'd share that since I've seen it first hand.

I've also used those "magic erasers" to remove ink from carts before, but beware using them on any cart that has a textured finish. It's essentially really fine wet sanding so it will smooth out the textured finish on SNES carts.

Gurrry

thanks guys! ill see if I have any of the stuff laying around here and if not ill go pick some up.

in other news, if anyone has an extra cart of super punch out they want to get rid of.. its one that im currently looking for, so let me know your price!

Mzo

I've also used those "magic erasers" to remove ink from carts before, but beware using them on any cart that has a textured finish. It's essentially really fine wet sanding so it will smooth out the textured finish on SNES carts.

It will definitely sand it down if you do it for an extended period of time and put some elbow grease into it, but stuff like marker comes off almost instantly with nearly no effort.

Ban Puncher

$70 USD for a cart only Sunset Riders.

L43rQOk.gif

What say you, SNES GAF? Buy or No Buy?

Gurrry

I got tetris battle gaiden in finally and damn i love this game, but playing the cpu is not easy. It kicks my ass everytime. Gonna play it this weekend with the gf so it will be more competitive.

I also just ordered mega man 7 and megaman soccer! Both are sfc carts, but idc. They were decently cheap.

I also went pawn shop hunting last weekend but came up dry. :/

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Not entirely on topic, but I didn't want to start a new topic.

I have a question about flashcarts, essentially I just want to play Star Fox 2 on actual hardware, but do Super FX games work on them?

Not entirely on topic, but I didn't want to start a new topic.

I have a question about flashcarts, essentially I just want to play Star Fox 2 on actual hardware, but do Super FX games work on them?

No. If you program SuperFX support to the sd2snes' FPGA, then maybe. Else you're out of luck.

I got tetris battle gaiden in finally and damn i love this game, but playing the cpu is not easy. It kicks my ass everytime. Gonna play it this weekend with the gf so it will be more competitive.

I also just ordered mega man 7 and megaman soccer! Both are sfc carts, but idc. They were decently cheap.

I also went pawn shop hunting last weekend but came up dry. :/

Tetris battle gaiden truly is amazing.

Also picked up super return of the Jedi, hoping it's the best of the trilogy and actually fair difficulty.

Top Bottom