• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Lettuce

Super R-Type is a weird mix of 1 and 2. It's cool.

The Third Lightning is the shiiiiiit though.

Damn!, i'd hate to think what the slowdown is like on the NTSC version of Super R-Type!?, it was fairly bad on the PAL release so the NTSC version must be frightening

D.Lo

PAL SNES actually does have that advantage yes, games slow down less.

Exact same CPU running the exact same game 17% slower, it can of course handle the game better.

And due to the separate sound hardware, unlike most consoles, the music stays at the proper speed, and that's usually the most annoying aspect of PAL slowness.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
I just picked up a UN30 SNES and I wanted to check if it's a 1CHIP. I have the security bits, but how difficult is it to dissassemble/Reassemble the case to get to the motherboard to check? Would I be able to tell just by the video output over RGB on my PVM? Seems the difference is too minimal to check by naked eye.

edit: Is there a way to check using a Super Everdrive?

Lettuce

PAL SNES actually does have that advantage yes, games slow down less.

Exact same CPU running the exact same game 17% slower, it can of course handle the game better.

And due to the separate sound hardware, unlike most consoles, the music stays at the proper speed, and that's usually the most annoying aspect of PAL slowness.

Hmm odd, i recal PAL games having had slow arse music to boot

pirata

Just got an S-video cable in the mail and tested it out for the first time, and man, what a step up over composite! I could tell the moment I booted up Super Metroid---the "1994" is a much more vibrant shade of red, and less grainy! I can't wait to try it out some more on Super Nintendo and N64! I wasn't sure how drastic the change would be, since I had never seen S-video in use, but I'm pretty impressed. I can only imagine what an improvement RGB modding would make. And to think that I played all of these games back in the day on RF...yuck.

If anyone reading this has a TV capable of S-Video and is still using composite on your SNES, spend the $5. It's very worth it.

krae_man

Also picked up super return of the Jedi, hoping it's the best of the trilogy and actually fair difficulty.

I like that one the most because it has the most variety and levels. Also playing as an Ewok is fun as fuck. Especially using arrows as bouncy springs!

Empire kicks my ass. I've never been ever to beat it. I can't even get out of the swamp.

On that note, I just beat Super Star Wars on Jedi Mode for the first time in 20 years:

Cs1yXun.jpg

Didn't even die until Rescue of the Princess and these stupid guys and their Dhalsim like reach just destroyed me:

FYIStQE.gif

Bar Fight boss almost did it but I managed to sneak through. I still have no idea how to predict and dodge his attacks. I got lucky with the number of health swords that level. Really lucky.

-KRS-

Hmm odd, i recal PAL games having had slow arse music to boot

Some SNES games seem to have their music playback routine coded after the refresh rate or something. For exaple Super Puyo Puyo 2 Remix plays the music at different speeds if you switch between 50/60hz. At least the intro music. That's the only one I know of though. For the most part SNES games are not affected sound-wise by playing at 50hz or 60hz.

Just got an S-video cable in the mail and tested it out for the first time, and man, what a step up over composite! I could tell the moment I booted up Super Metroid---the "1994" is a much more vibrant shade of red, and less grainy! I can't wait to try it out some more on Super Nintendo and N64! I wasn't sure how drastic the change would be, since I had never seen S-video in use, but I'm pretty impressed. I can only imagine what an improvement RGB modding would make. And to think that I played all of these games back in the day on RF...yuck.

If anyone reading this has a TV capable of S-Video and is still using composite on your SNES, spend the $5. It's very worth it.

Your impression made me smile. I had the same feeling in...1994, I think. Every system I have where S-video is the best (non-modded) option has been hooked up that way ever since.

On that note, I just beat Super Star Wars on Jedi Mode for the first time in 20 years:

Wow, that's impressive! I beat all 3 'way back when, starting with Empire, but not on Jedi. Yikes. I might have even played on Easy, which is breaking a personal rule.

RexRogers

Neo Member
I just picked up a UN30 SNES and I wanted to check if it's a 1CHIP. I have the security bits, but how difficult is it to dissassemble/Reassemble the case to get to the motherboard to check? Would I be able to tell just by the video output over RGB on my PVM? Seems the difference is too minimal to check by naked eye.

edit: Is there a way to check using a Super Everdrive?
There's a spreadsheet out there with snes serial numbers mapped to motherboard revisions. I don't know if a UN30* would make the cut.
spreadsheet here

Top Gear 2 for $25 was totally worth it! I'm tired of kart racing (probably for life now lol) so this was a nice change.

Really cool 90s music, simple car upgrades, password system. Very happy with this purchase.

Top Gear 2 for $25 was totally worth it! I'm tired of kart racing (probably for life now lol) so this was a nice change.

Really cool 90s music, simple car upgrades, password system. Very happy with this purchase.

I have the original one and sold it cuz it wasn't my cup of tea. Is 2 a much bigger improvement or would you say the series isn't for me?

I have the original one and sold it cuz it wasn't my cup of tea. Is 2 a much bigger improvement or would you say the series isn't for me?

They basically take the first one, and improve upon it in every way.

Personally I found it had a good sense of speed, and got the adrenaline going! That doesn't happen to me too often.

I'm so bored of kart racing games ( probably for the rest of my life lol) and so this was a refreshing racer, being more real life.

Have a retro trio coming soon, hopefully you're right about snes svideo output because super metroid is my favourite!

Too bad my snes jr doesn't do svideo but the composite output is very vibrant on my older 2007 model LCD.

-KRS-

Have a retro trio coming soon, hopefully you're right about snes svideo output because super metroid is my favourite!

Too bad my snes jr doesn't do svideo but the composite output is very vibrant on my older 2007 model LCD.
The retro trio has excellent svideo output. It's cleaner than what a lot of actual SNES units output. Only downside is that NES looks a bit weird with svideo.

The retro trio has excellent svideo output. It's cleaner than what a lot of actual SNES units output. Only downside is that NES looks a bit weird with svideo.

Glad to hear that. A couple video reviews noted the same, so I'm happy to have independent confirmation from a gaffer :)

My snes mini is excellent but the ac adapter is finicky and of course doesn't do svideo. Hopefully the trio is more reliable. Looking forward to trying some genesis games too.

D.Lo

No, the biggest downside is for all three consoles it's a dodgy SNOAC/MDOAC/NOAC and you'll get a whole bunch of glitches, incorrect sound effects and incorrect colours in games that don't occur on original hardware.

Where do you guys go to get your covers printed? For those who print out box covers on universal game cases. I've never done it before but I've heard some places don't want to print them since they're copyrighted or something?

TheMoon

What's the deal with the painted black squares on the cartridge? I bought a Biometal cartridge literally the other day that has a similar painted black square on it. Was this a thing?

Kids do dumb shit. I used to mark songs I liked with a highlighter in the booklets of albums or cut game artwork out of magazines and tape it to my wall. Now I wanna slap my younger self for that.

What's the deal with the painted black squares on the cartridge? I bought a Biometal cartridge literally the other day that has a similar painted black square on it. Was this a thing?

You know, I never understood that one. Goof Off works wonders on permanent marker tho.

The original Top Gear is a fantastic game and my favorite one of the three on SNES (and one of the better SNES racing games, too!), but Top Gear 2 does have full-screen single player, if you disliked the forced-splitscreen of the first game. The graphics are also better, and there's more music and options. The basic linescroll-racing gameplay is similar, though, and still really good.

Top Gear 3000 is good too, it has four player splitscreen and a futuristic theme. :)

Holy crap is Goof Troop hard lol.
Really good game though! It's particularly fun in two player co-op. It's probably my favorite Capcom Disney SNES game; I'm not as big of a fan of SNES Aladdin or the Mickey's Magical Quest trilogy. They are good games, but Capcom's NES Disney games are better... and Goof Troop, too.

Uh-oh, this might not end well.=p

I also do like both the 3rd movie and game as well!!!
In the movies, ESB's ending is too dark, I think RotJ's happy ending is far better. The Endor is better than Hoth, too, the Jabba part at the beginning is great, etc... RotJ is the best Star Wars movies.

As for the games, I like the Super Star Wars trilogy, but I don't think I'd say I love them. As much as I like Star Wars, the series does have some issues. The first Super Star Wars is a classic, but it's the simplest game of the three, it can be frustrating, and doesn't let you save, so you have to play it all in one sitting... with limited continues. Argh. Super ESB has better graphics, more variety, and a higher difficulty level, but at least there are passwords this time and the game isn't as unfairly hard as the NES/GB ESB game is, that game's just insane. Some of the Mode 7 parts are quite difficult due to hardware limitations, though. Super RotJ is the most polished of the three, with the best visuals, most variety, most characters to play as, and more. Again some of the Mode 7 parts are a real pain, such as the final level for instance.

All three games also have large, maybe too-open levels; one issue I've always had with the series are the level designs. Some are good, others not so much. Also, the games take SERIOUS liberties with the plot -- many of the bosses don't exist in the movies. It's kind of funny that Darth Vader as a scorpion in Namco's NES game gets laughed at so much while all the crazy stuff in the Super Star Wars series is given a pass just because they are vaguely based on stuff from the movies... but I know, you need to change things a lot to make a game fun. There probably isn't a best answer there.

The only Super Star Wars game I've actually beaten is the one I got back in 1995 or so, Super Return of the Jedi for Game Boy. It's shorter and easier than the SNES version, but is pretty fun. I like its top-down, twin-level shooter final stage style probably better than the Mode 7 ones in the SNES game, in fact... though the missing levels and characters are unfortunate. The GB (and GG) version also removes force powers from the game entirely, but it's not hard enough to really need them. It's probably not quite as good as a game as the SNES version, but it is pretty decent for a licensed GB game, for sure.

psylah

On a whim I went to the flea market an hour or so early today. It paid off.

I got to an old lady's table who was selling about 10 SNES carts, $3 each. She said someone from another table was going back to get cash to buy them all, but since I had cash in hand she sold some to me.

There was some ho-hum stuff, but I got:

Super Mario World
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Mario Kart
Donkey Cong Country 3

I'm not a fan of dong expansion but I had 1 and 2 and couldn't pass on completing the set.

Earlier this year I got a copy of Super Mario RPG for $3 from this flea market as well. Lucky me.

On a whim I went to the flea market an hour or so early today. It paid off.

I got to an old lady's table who was selling about 10 SNES carts, $3 each. She said someone from another table was going back to get cash to buy them all, but since I had cash in hand she sold some to me.

There was some ho-hum stuff, but I got:

Super Mario World
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Mario Kart
Donkey Cong Country 3

I'm not a fan of dong expansion but I had 1 and 2 and couldn't pass on completing the set.

Earlier this year I got a copy of Super Mario RPG for $3 from this flea market as well. Lucky me.

Very nice find. Gives the rest of us hope. Lol

The first super Star Wars game was so popular at the time it came out, because of the high review ratings, and relative rarity at least initially. I specifically remember finding mine at a fashion department store, had a really high price.

Return of J aged the best though I agree.

I think we were all just surprised that a licensed game actually turned out well lol

The graphics are nice on Return of the Jedi but the game is piss easy compared to the other 2. Even the bosses in the first 2 games were more creative and required more skill than Jedi. Which the only requirement (emperor being the exception)was to stand on the left side of the screen with chewie, spin and shoot. The only thing I really appreciated is that they removed most of the leap of faith jumps that plagued the first 2 games.

Timu

The graphics are nice on Return of the Jedi but the game is piss easy compared to the other 2. Even the bosses in the first 2 games were more creative and required more skill than Jedi. Which the only requirement (emperor being the exception)was to stand on the left side of the screen with chewie, spin and shoot. The only thing I really appreciated is that they removed most of the leap of faith jumps that plagued the first 2 games.
The last level in ROTJ is hard as hell though!!!

You exaggerate, RotJ is still a challenging game. It's just not as overly difficult as its two predecessors were. I'd say RotJ has the best-balaced difficulty level of the three. And yes, getting rid of leaps of faith is fantastic, I hate those in platformers!

Says includes voucher, so I suppose it won't be on disc. That would explain the piecemeal release structure and why the other 2 aren't included.

I wonder if they'll do an X1 classics with KOTORs, Republic Commando, et al.

Chomposaur

Neo Member
Just got back into collecting I used to have SMRPG, earthbound, super metroid, FF 4 and 6, illusion of Gaia and loads more CIB. I foolishly sold the collection for a 4 figure sum. Biggest mistake I ever made ( I did keep chrono trigger i couldn't have sold that lol)

Games I have in my collection all CIB

Super Ghouls and Ghosts
Battletoads in battle maniacs
Chrono trigger
Mystic quest

On the way

Donkey kong country 3
Plok
Super putty ( a weird quirky game I grew up with lol)
Contra 3 the alien wars
Illusion of Gaia

There's one problem. I don't have a CRT television it's like owning a Ferrari but without the keys I can't get a hold of one. I've searched high and low. Unfortunately I'm playing them on my LCD TV which looks like comeplete shit.

I'm new to neogaf I would show you my small collection if I could I'm not to sure on how to upload pictures, some advice would be great. I can't wait to be a part of this community :)

psylah

Just got back into collecting I used to have SMRPG, earthbound, super metroid, FF 4 and 6, illusion of Gaia and loads more CIB. I foolishly sold the collection for a 4 figure sum. Biggest mistake I ever made ( I did keep chrono trigger i couldn't have sold that lol)

Games I have in my collection all CIB

Super Ghouls and Ghosts
Battletoads in battle maniacs
Chrono trigger
Mystic quest

On the way

Donkey kong country 3
Plok
Super putty ( a weird quirky game I grew up with lol)
Contra 3 the alien wars
Illusion of Gaia

There's one problem. I don't have a CRT television it's like owning a Ferrari but without the keys I can't get a hold of one. I've searched high and low. Unfortunately I'm playing them on my LCD TV which looks like comeplete shit.

I'm new to neogaf I would show you my small collection if I could I'm not to sure on how to upload pictures, some advice would be great. I can't wait to be a part of this community :)

CRTs are basically free on craigslist. For instant gratification though, peruse local thrift stores, they should cost about $20.

If you want a PVM/BVM, may God have mercy on your soul.

Chomposaur

Neo Member
CRTs are basically free on craigslist. For instant gratification though, peruse local thrift stores, they should cost about $20.

If you want a PVM/BVM, may God have mercy on your soul.

I'm from the UK Craigslist is not very well known over here

I've tried local charity shops, gumtree, eBay. Carboot sales nothing.

Top Bottom