• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Bancho

Haha that's a good story. Which SD cart are you using which can be cut in half?

Its one of these SanDisk SD Cards. You can see when looking at the rear of the card where to cut.

c26-B000N3P5O0-1-s.jpg

Totally forgot my friend gave me a copy of Cho Makaimura as a late birthday present. Went and tried it out today. Yelled at it for about 30 minutes. :mad:

I will be in LA next week and I'm looking at buying some ntsc games (I'm from Spain). I was looking to games that never were published here, the usual suspects, like Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, FF6, Earthbound,...

Some of the prices I saw were:

Super Mario RPG: $59
Final Fantasy III: $59
Chrono Trigger: $99
Earthbound: $199

What do you think of the prices?

And also, any other NTSC only gem I should look for? (I mean, games that never saw PAL release)

Those are all about the average price they tend to sell on ebay/retail currently. If the carts are clean with nice labels, i'd say go for it!

pirata

I posted a page or so back about getting an S-Video cable for the first time, and while the upgrade in picture quality is great, I didn't notice until a little bit later that the sound is unfortunately screwed up, especially in the right channel (several instrument voices often are almost muted, and there is a lot of static). As you can image, this sucks balls, since a big part of the SNES experience is how good it sounds. Could anyone point me (and any other people reading this) towards cables they know are good or share tips on how to avoid bad cables? Thanks!

RexRogers

Neo Member
When I bought my set of s-video cables I made sure to get them from Innovation. They seem to be good quality and have no real problems that I can tell. It's hard to tell exactly what you're getting from amazon when you order, though. I got the crappy cables with the combined composite connector the first time around.

Cedric

Not sure if this is the place to ask, but I bought a couple of SFC jrpg games while on a trip to Japan and I'm planning on playing them on a retrode. I didn't really think it through before buying, but are there ways to play English versions of games released in NA using the Japanese cartridge? I have Chrono Trigger, FFVI, FFV, Breath of Fire 1 & 2, Terranigma and Secret of Mana for the SFC.

Not sure if this is the place to ask, but I bought a couple of SFC jrpg games while on a trip to Japan and I'm planning on playing them on a retrode. I didn't really think it through before buying, but are there ways to play English versions of games released in NA using the Japanese cartridge? I have Chrono Trigger, FFVI, FFV, Breath of Fire 1 & 2, Terranigma and Secret of Mana for the SFC.

look into ips patching and fan translations
not sure if all of these released fan translations though as they have official English language versions, but there could be. I know FF6 has a fan retranslation with the censorship removed for example.

Teknoman

Terranigma, FFV, and FFVI / Breath of Fire 2 for retranslations for sure. Maybe not Chrono, Secret, or BoF1...unless you just like the SFC art more, and get em flashed with a North American rom.

If you don't do it yourself, most repro people will only do games that have fan translations or retranslations.

psylah

not sure if all of these released fan translations though as they have official English language versions, but there could be. I know FF6 has a fan retranslation with the censorship removed for example.

I believe the Retron 5 added the ability to load translation patches when you put in a legit cart.

The problem is you have to use a Retron 5. Just letting you know.

Cedric

Terranigma, FFV, and FFVI / Breath of Fire 2 for retranslations for sure. Maybe not Chrono, Secret, or BoF1...unless you just like the SFC art more, and get em flashed with a North American rom.

If you don't do it yourself, most repro people will only do games that have fan translations or retranslations.

I believe the Retron 5 added the ability to load translation patches when you put in a legit cart.

The problem is you have to use a Retron 5. Just letting you know.

Thanks for the replies! I'll look into fan translations and retranslations. I don't have a retron 5 and I don't know how to flash, and I think I'd rather not modify the cartridge either. Just grabbed Super Mario RPG and Bahamut Lagoon today in Korea, the prices were way more expensive than in Japan but still worth it I think. Almost grabbed Super Metroid but it was close to 30$, I think I can find a better deal.

Thanks for the replies! I'll look into fan translations and retranslations. I don't have a retron 5 and I don't know how to flash, and I think I'd rather not modify the cartridge either. Just grabbed Super Mario RPG and Bahamut Lagoon today in Korea, the prices were way more expensive than in Japan but still worth it I think. Almost grabbed Super Metroid but it was close to 30$, I think I can find a better deal.

Worth noting thar the rom on JP Super Metroid cartridge is identical to the NA version. English or Japanese language is available in the options.

GloriousNL

Neo Member
Thanks for the help on the SD card guys. Isn't it better to use an adapter, because once I cut it in half, I won't be able to use it on my laptop anymore. It will slide all the way in the slot.

HaL64

When I bought my set of s-video cables I made sure to get them from Innovation. They seem to be good quality and have no real problems that I can tell. It's hard to tell exactly what you're getting from amazon when you order, though. I got the crappy cables with the combined composite connector the first time around.

I find the 3rd party s-video cables (and cables in general) are garbage. I suggest getting an official Nintendo branded cable.

-KRS-

Hey guys, what are some of the colored SFC carts? I saw some horse racing game a few pages back. Any other?

There's a super limited release of Super Tetris 2 + Bombliss that has a gold cartridge.

Super-Tetris-2-+-Bombliss-GOLD-Super-Famicom-SFC-SNES-JAPAN.jpg

The funny thing about this game is that there's also another "limited" release with a black rather than a red label, although with a standard gray cart. So there's three releases of the game.

Peagles

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Maybe it's just a component mod but they put RGB in the title because they don't know the difference between the two? Lots of people think they're the same because of plug colours, lol.

Although you'd think if they can mod for component they would know that...

I guess it makes sense that they added it in the title just to increase the perceived value for people not that into this. I got unsure myself lol.

Cedric

Hmm... I bought FFV for the SFC and when I loaded it into my retrode I noticed that the extension was .a26 instead of the usual .sfc. Does this mean I bought a fake cartridge? Don't know much about this sort of stuff.

It's just a filename, most likely; you could call it "ffv.wad" if you wanted to but the contents would be the same, and the contents are what matters. As long as it runs in your emulator, it's fine.

NDPsycho

It's just a filename, most likely; you could call it "ffv.wad" if you wanted to but the contents would be the same, and the contents are what matters. As long as it runs in your emulator, it's fine.

He's referring to the extension given by the retrode. While what you're saying is correct, the retrode shouldn't be giving it a random extension. Unless it's having trouble reading the cart or something.

NDPsycho

Hmm... I bought FFV for the SFC and when I loaded it into my retrode I noticed that the extension was .a26 instead of the usual .sfc. Does this mean I bought a fake cartridge? Don't know much about this sort of stuff.

Sounds like your retrode might be having trouble reading the cart. Have you tried cleaning the pins or inserting it again?

Best way to confirm a legit cart is to get a bit and open it up. Also the best way to clean the pins.

Gurrry

been playing mega man 7 and im stuck on wiley's 2nd stage.. i get to the boss but after the bass fight im basically depleted and can barely make it to the final boss before i die and start over

frustration!!!!

Timu

been playing mega man 7 and im stuck on wiley's 2nd stage.. i get to the boss but after the bass fight im basically depleted and can barely make it to the final boss before i die and start over

frustration!!!!
Keep at it, it's such a good game IMO.

Cedric

Sounds like your retrode might be having trouble reading the cart. Have you tried cleaning the pins or inserting it again?

Best way to confirm a legit cart is to get a bit and open it up. Also the best way to clean the pins.

Alright thanks I'll try cleaning it and see what it does!

Anyone else with Photoshop skills want to make a couple of retail-style SNES covers for a Universal Game Case for me? I asked already in the coverproject request forum but I got ignored :(

Looking for Super Buster Bros and the Addam's Family, NTSC versions.

Rongolian

Banned
Anyone else with Photoshop skills want to make a couple of retail-style SNES covers for a Universal Game Case for me? I asked already in the coverproject request forum but I got ignored :(

Looking for Super Buster Bros and the Addam's Family, NTSC versions.

Here's one for Super Buster Bros https://app.box.com/s/d536a883fa91f255cf03

No luck with Addam's family unfortunately.

If you can't find any covers on the main UGC site, check out Wiggy's posts for his custom covers for NES and SNES. I can't believe how much work he put into making them and I think they should be enjoyed! Especially if you can't find a default cover art on the site.

NES: http://www.thecoverproject.net/forums/index.php?topic=12279.0

SNES: http://www.thecoverproject.net/forums/index.php?topic=10385.0

Here's one for Super Buster Bros https://app.box.com/s/d536a883fa91f255cf03

No luck with Addam's family unfortunately.

If you can't find any covers on the main UGC site, check out Wiggy's posts for his custom covers for NES and SNES. I can't believe how much work he put into making them and I think they should be enjoyed! Especially if you can't find a default cover art on the site.

NES: http://www.thecoverproject.net/forums/index.php?topic=12279.0

SNES: http://www.thecoverproject.net/forums/index.php?topic=10385.0

Oh, sorry! I should've specified I'm looking for horizontal covers, made to look like the actual retail boxes.

Like this:

http://www.thecoverproject.net/images/covers/snes_megamanx2_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the assistance, though! I'm noticing custom vertical covers are more popular so I may just switch to those instead.

Gurrry

Anyone that has finished mega man 7..

I finally got to the final Wiley fight. His 2nd form is fucking unbelievably hard.

Anywho, does anyone know if I turn off my snes will I have to re-do the entire 4 wiley staged again? Or will the PW allow me to skip that and go straight to the boss rush/wiley fight?

The reason I ask is because early I tried entering a PW that I thought would take me to wiley stage 2, but it started me at stage 1. I REFUSE to re-do all of wiley's stages for the third time.

Anyone know?

Anyone that has finished mega man 7..

I finally got to the final Wiley fight. His 2nd form is fucking unbelievably hard.

Anywho, does anyone know if I turn off my snes will I have to re-do the entire 4 wiley staged again? Or will the PW allow me to skip that and go straight to the boss rush/wiley fight?

The reason I ask is because early I tried entering a PW that I thought would take me to wiley stage 2, but it started me at stage 1. I REFUSE to re-do all of wiley's stages for the third time.

Anyone know?

I can't recall any Mega Man game with passwords that save your Fortress progress, so no. Pretty sure the password you're getting will take you to Stage 1 again.

Gurrry

I can't recall any Mega Man game with passwords that save your Fortress progress, so no. Pretty sure the password you're getting will take you to Stage 1 again.

i think this one does as someone PM'ed me with some pw's... but i have yet to turn off my snes and test it.

if thats the case, then jesus titty fucking christ.. this is some difficult shit.

Mark5130

Hey guys! I won an eBay auction for a near complete copy of MMX. When I opened it, I immediately noticed how glossy the box was. It's something that I never really looked at with my other CIB SNES games, but compared to a few random spot checks on other games, this is by far the glossiest box that I now own. I know there have been some "bootleg" boxes that have popped up in the last few weeks, and I won't lie if I said that the thought hadn't crossed my mind that I feel victim to this. The interior of the box looks like it should, which is very reassuring and the front and back of the box has what I would consider "normal" wear and tear. There are a few spots on the box, mostly on the mid to upper right front side, which kind of look like water stains or the like, but just wanted to be certain that they weren't a result of the box being printed by someone at home. I also opened up the cart and everything checks out after running the chip numbers, so I know that the cart it legit. I hate being so OCD about stuff like this, but I wanted a few more eyes on it, just to be safe.

Coda

Hey guys! I won an eBay auction for a near complete copy of MMX. When I opened it, I immediately noticed how glossy the box was. It's something that I ever really looked at with my other CIB SNES games, but compared to a few random spot checks on other games, this is by far the glossiest box that I now own. I know there have been some "bootleg" boxes that have popped up in the last few weeks, and I won't lie if I said that the thought hadn't crossed my mind that I feel victim to this. The interior of the box looks like it should, which is very reassuring and the front and back of the box has what I would consider "normal" wear and tear. There are a few spots on the box, mostly on the mid to upper right front side, which kind of look like water stains or the like, but just wanted to be certain that they weren't a result of the box being printed by someone at home. I also opened up the cart and everything checks out after running the chip numbers, so I know that the cart it legit. I hate being so OCD about stuff like this, but I wanted a few more eyes on it, just to be safe.

I used to own a copy of Mega Man X back in the day and I remember the box being real glossy.

Type_Raver

Hey guys! I won an eBay auction for a near complete copy of MMX. When I opened it, I immediately noticed how glossy the box was. It's something that I never really looked at with my other CIB SNES games, but compared to a few random spot checks on other games, this is by far the glossiest box that I now own. I know there have been some "bootleg" boxes that have popped up in the last few weeks, and I won't lie if I said that the thought hadn't crossed my mind that I feel victim to this. The interior of the box looks like it should, which is very reassuring and the front and back of the box has what I would consider "normal" wear and tear. There are a few spots on the box, mostly on the mid to upper right front side, which kind of look like water stains or the like, but just wanted to be certain that they weren't a result of the box being printed by someone at home. I also opened up the cart and everything checks out after running the chip numbers, so I know that the cart it legit. I hate being so OCD about stuff like this, but I wanted a few more eyes on it, just to be safe.

I own a copy of it but its in a plastic protector, ill check it once back home and report back. If you dont mind, how much did the winning bid go for?

Cheerilee

I just glanced at my box for Megaman X, and it's glossiness looks just like any of my other boxes, but then, something sparked in my brain and I think I remember that Megaman X got a reprint later in the SNES's life, and I seem to remember looking at the cardboard quality on one of the newer ones and thinking that it was "cheaper" (might have been more glossy).

Is your cardboard insert folded so that it keeps the cart away from all four sides of the box (and did your cart come with a dust protector), or is the insert "C shaped", essentially protecting only three sides of the cart?

The centered one is what Nintendo originally used for SNES boxes, but they changed the cardboard spacer's design when they stopped including free dust protectors.

Megaman X1 was a fairly early SNES game, so it probably came with a dust protector, and if it doesn't have one, then maybe that's the reprint (and not a bootleg). A reprint would also increase the odds of finding one new/sealed.

SKINNER!

Banned
I'm no expert but glossy boxes worries me. Always the straight away indicator that the box (or game) might not be original. I used to recall a lot of fake Game Boy Advance games had glossy boxes. Good thing you posted it here to get it checked out :)

My quest for Chrono Trigger continues but I'm slowly coming to terms that my DS copy will have to do (plus, it's the better version anyway). The price is climbing up pretty quick and I can't justify a £150+ ebay price for it. Plus, I need to pick up a new SNES anyway. Perhaps I should look into finding a new white whale to chase :) Maybe MGS related.

To all those with a CIB copy of Chrono Trigger, cherish it :) Such a beautiful game that deserves to be preserved and treasured.

To those with a sealed copy, wtf is wrong with you?! Play the game ;)

HaL64

This looks pretty legit to me. I have both the Japan and Made in Mexico versions. Mega Man X Japan is very glossy. Much more than other Japan SNES boxes I find. The Mexico version is matte and also the colors are desaturated. There are several games like this that are super glossy. Another one that comes to mind is Aladdin.
Rest assured that is not a repro box.

thomasos

The cardboard on bootleg boxes is usually (always?) white on the inside. Also, most bootleg boxes are missing the little "tabs" on the left flap. Pretty sure yours is legit.

entremet

I used to own MMX2.

Gave it away :(

Just for fun, do you guys and gals remember your original purchased games?

Off the top of my head:

Super Mario World--pack in
Yoshi's Island
Super Mario All Stars--free promotion
Super Metroid
Mario Kart
MMX2
DKC
SSF2

I think that's it. I rented and borrowed since I was young and had no cash.

BTails

So I just ordered a Super Everdrive today, and I'm looking forward to playing some translated Japanese games. Any recommendations outside of all the RPGs? I've already played Clock Tower (though I plan on playing through it again this Halloween) and Rockamn & Forte (Have the GBA rerelease).

HaL64

I used to own MMX2.

Gave it away :(

Just for fun, do you guys and gals remember your original purchased games?

Off the top of my head:

Super Mario World--pack in
Super Mario All Stars--free promotion
Super Metroid
Mario Kart
MMX2
DKC
SSF2

I think that's it. I rented and borrowed since I was young and had no cash.

I never owned a snes or any games. I rented one from blockbuster at least every month though. Always picked up Castlevania IV, Mario World, Final Fight, R-Type.
Now of course I own them all and then some. I even went as far as to acquire a former rental console + case.

I got my SNES from this set (I'm so glad it still works).
skcsnes_610.jpg

I owned

DKC
Super Mario World
Turtles in Time (still have it)
Super Mario Kart

I mostly rented most of my SNES games like Yoshi Island, and I was fortunate enough to play it before Yoshi Story came out and was utterly disappointed when I actually played it. I definitely remember playing DKC 2 and beating that.

I also played the heck out of Battle Toads and Double Dragon and didn't realize till much later that the NES one was more well known and popular

Mark5130

Is your cardboard insert folded so that it keeps the cart away from all four sides of the box (and did your cart come with a dust protector), or is the insert "C shaped", essentially protecting only three sides of the cart?

It has the white, four-sided tray, which are WAY better, not the "C" shape and the cart came with a dust protector.

I don't recall mine being glossy. It's the OG with the color manual. Is yours the Majesco re-release?

The copy in question has a "Made In Japan" box, "MIJ" color manual and "MIJ" cart label. Thumbs down on that Majesco "Made In Mexico" crap! I stay away from those at ALL costs. Except for my Dracula X, because, to the best of my knowledge, there is no "MIJ" for that game. :D

This looks pretty legit to me. Mega Man X Japan is very glossy. Much more than other Japan SNES boxes I find. There are several games like this that are super glossy. Rest assured that is not a repro box.

Thanks everyone so much for the prompt and informative feedback! After looking at it a few times again, and comparing it to a few more of my SNES boxes, I've noticed that it doesn't look AS glossy as I had first thought and I'm not feeling as weird about it. So happy to finally have this in my collection! (even though the "spots" on the box kinda bum me out....)

Top Bottom