• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Timu

Man, either I'm rustier than I thought or Turtles in Time SNES is harder than I remember because Slash completely bodied me

I vaguely recall him being the hardest boss in the game though.
He is the hardest boss in the game, and yeah I played it earlier this year on Hard with no continues used thankfully.

Anyway, just wanted to share. Photoshop truly IS amazing. I'm gonna do the Addams Family cover now.

^^ update to this post:

I finished the Addams Family cover! This one for me was way more ambitious, because I decided I couldn't find a good enough picture of the box from eBay to use as a "scan" of the front and back cover images. Because this is a licensed game from the Addams Family movie, all the imagery that isn't in-game screenshots is just marketing material from the actual movie. Thankfully movie-buffs DO keep decently hi-res marketing shit of their media :p

So I just grabbed the poster and studied how Ocean's marketing guys made the cover. It actually wasn't anything too terribly complicated. They cropped out the actors, shrunk them and moved some elements around to make the cover for the game. The back cover was basically the same. The picture of The Thing was from another marketing image I also found online, so that was great. And lastly, the text was all Times New Roman so it was easy to recreate the text itself. Since I went through so much trouble cropping everything and making my own makeshift cover, I decided to go all out and threw in the highest-res logo of Ocean games I could find, rearranged the bottom text of the back cover to match the SNES box cover, even found a logo of Paramount and threw it in there, as well as that giant paragraph of unnecessary text on the bottom right of the back cover. The in-game screenshots I did have to lift straight from a box shot from eBay in all their shitty low-res skewed glory, because I wasn't about to fire up an emulator to recreate the exact same screenshots :p

Photoshop is a ton of fun :p

For anyone who wants this, here's the final cover.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/741/21400698150_62a6fc6499_k.jpg

Compare this to the box photos found in this eBay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Addams-Fami...WORKS-Adams-/151591288917?hash=item234b8b8055

You'll notice some differences with the front cover of the game and the one I ended up with. That involved doing a ton of photoshopping that, to be honest, I'm not experienced enough to tackle. Maybe someday, but atm I'm happy with what I have now.

Teknoman

Would you...mind making a UGC cover for SD The Great Battle V, Gun-Nac famicom, or Salamander famicom?

Scoured cover project and cant find them in the listed covers or forums. Asked in that famicom project thread there like 2 years ago lol and nothin.

Would you...mind making a UGC cover for SD The Great Battle V, Gun-Nac famicom, or Salamander famicom?

Scoured cover project and cant find them in the listed covers or forums. Asked in that famicom project thread there like 2 years ago lol and nothin.

Hmm I don't know anything about those games, but yeah I could give it a shot! It all depends on the quality of the photos of the boxes that I can find. Really all I'm doing is some color correction, cropping, and scaling/moving things around. But with photoshop the results end up surprisingly decent, and they're much, much better than nothing :p

I think I found a good eBay listing with the Gun-Nac famicom box. Is this the game you're thinking of?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gun-Nac-Famicom-Nintendo-japan-fc-game-/291556157564?hash=item43e219e87c

Also, which of these templates did you want to put the covers in? There's several variants of the covers and I'm not sure which one you prefer.

http://www.thecoverproject.net/forums/index.php?topic=1610.0

Teknoman

I've never managed to hit the first boss

lol I dunno if that's a good or bad thing. Is it Contra hard, or just stupidly paced?

Hmm I don't know anything about those games, but yeah I could give it a shot! It all depends on the quality of the photos of the boxes that I can find. Really all I'm doing is some color correction, cropping, and scaling/moving things around. But with photoshop the results end up surprisingly decent, and they're much, much better than nothing :p

I think I found a good eBay listing with the Gun-Nac famicom box. Is this the game you're thinking of?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gun-Nac-Famicom-Nintendo-japan-fc-game-/291556157564?hash=item43e219e87c

Also, which of these templates did you want to put the covers in? There's several variants of the covers and I'm not sure which one you prefer.

http://www.thecoverproject.net/forums/index.php?topic=1610.0

Yup, that's the one. The template i'd prefer is the NTSC-J (custom famicom) one ( the one with the Famicom logo (the 4th one in the template list for Nintendo 8-bit).

Basically the one that looks like this:

i4p4e26l017l347fg.jpg

Salamander's cover looks like this
Salamander.jpg

and SD Great Battle V like
1311998749258_f.jpg

I guess the problem is that these games don't really have high res box scans floating around the net?

lol I dunno if that's a good or bad thing. Is it Contra hard, or just stupidly paced?

Yup, that's the one. The template i'd prefer is the NTSC-J (custom famicom) one ( the one with the Famicom logo (the 4th one in the template list for Nintendo 8-bit).

Basically the one that looks like this:

Salamander's cover looks like this

and SD Great Battle V like

I guess the problem is that these games don't really have high res box scans floating around the net?

All right, great!

Yeah, the issue with, for instance, the Super Buster Bros box that I posted a while back was that there were no high-res box scans anywhere. Same for Addams Family. I ended up going to eBay and taking the pictures people post of their CIB listings and unskewing them and doing color correction on them to turn them into "scans". Results as I said are nowhere near high-res scan quality, but they're decent enough with Photoshop and at least they're something.

I did find some CIB listings of Salamander on eBay with (imo) pretty good pictures so I don't think it should be too hard. Yeah I'll definitely give it a try!

Does anyone know about a good source to either buy or find high resolution video game maps? Id love to frame the originals but there are a number of snes maps id love on my wall

Rich!

Cleaning the attic, 21 years of shit to sort through

Found a bit of a goldmine. SNES PAL game boxes, flattened and kept safe from when I was younger. Games are long gone though, sold those.

How much are they worth? I have LTTP, All Stars, Super Game Boy big box plus book, DKC 2, Pilotwings. I will likely keep hold of them, just curious.

I also found a boxed GBA SP with Mario 3....and it still has full fucking battery. What the fuck. Also, a headphone adapter for it!

Also, various N64 controllers too! Analogs need replacing on all though.

Herbs

Banned
Cleaning the attic, 21 years of shit to sort through

Found a bit of a goldmine. SNES PAL game boxes, flattened and kept safe from when I was younger. Games are long gone though, sold those.

How much are they worth? I have LTTP, All Stars, Super Game Boy big box plus book, DKC 2, Pilotwings. I will likely keep hold of them, just curious.

I also found a boxed GBA SP with Mario 3....and it still has full fucking battery. What the fuck. Also, a headphone adapter for it!

Also, various N64 controllers too! Analogs need replacing on all though.

check eBay for finished actual sold listings.

NDPsycho

Can anyone help me track down a legitimate cart of Mega Man 7? Do you know of a local store or anyone looking to sell one? I haven't been this frustrated trying to find a game in a long, long time. Starting to consider paying the jacked up prices for a crappy cart on ebay. Everytime a decent priced copy comes along, it sells in minutes, I can't monitor ebay 24/7.

Beyond the extortion levels of asking prices, I swear finding a copy with a legitimate label seems nearly impossible. Preferably looking in the $160 and under range, but anything decent under $200 would be worth considering. Obviously more if were more complete, but I'm getting desperate here. It's the last one I need to finish the 1-10 run.

On another note, I can't stop playing Biker Mice from Mars, what a blast. For a game that I knew nothing about and got with a bunch of other games, it's the most fun I've had with the SNES in a long time. I honestly had more fun with it than other combat racers on SNES (even Mario Kart). I need to try out more of the characters and play at the higher difficulties, but it just plays so well once you get used to the controls. Seems like it might be similar to rock 'n roll racing, would that be accurate?

Teknoman

Can anyone help me track down a legitimate cart of Mega Man 7? Do you know of a local store or anyone looking to sell one? I haven't been this frustrated trying to find a game in a long, long time. Starting to consider paying the jacked up prices for a crappy cart on ebay. Everytime a decent priced copy comes along, it sells in minutes, I can't monitor ebay 24/7.

Beyond the extortion levels of asking prices, I swear finding a copy with a legitimate label seems nearly impossible. Preferably looking in the $160 and under range, but anything decent under $200 would be worth considering. Obviously more if were more complete, but I'm getting desperate here. It's the last one I need to finish the 1-10 run.

On another note, I can't stop playing Biker Mice from Mars, what a blast. For a game that I knew nothing about and got with a bunch of other games, it's the most fun I've had with the SNES in a long time. I honestly had more fun with it than other combat racers on SNES (even Mario Kart). I need to try out more of the characters and play at the higher difficulties, but it just plays so well once you get used to the controls. Seems like it might be similar to rock 'n roll racing, would that be accurate?

Just get the SFC version unless you only want North American carts.

Edit: Yeah gbasp batteries last a long time for some reason.

Teknoman

PSA: If you haven't played Mickey's Magical Quest, do it.

Its like Ghouls and Goblins Jr and the soundtrack is awesome. Not sure how they butchered the second game's soundtrack.

entremet

PSA: If you haven't played Mickey's Magical Quest, do it.

Its like Ghouls and Goblins Jr and the soundtrack is awesome. Not sure how they butchered the second game's soundtrack.

Great game. I rented all the time back during the SNES days.

Shame we never got the third one here on the SNES. It was ported to the GBA, though. Capcom went nuts with SNES to GBA ports.

Laws00

I went to Columbus flea market in NJ and they have a game stop

I don't know who the hell went there or why the hell someone had all these games Super Famicom games there. It just weird me out that there was close to 50 games there. That was the first time i've seen more then 1 SFC at one time in a place. It also was the first time i've seen discoloration on cartridges. All carts were 2.99
Wish I knew Japanese or took pictures

Only game I recognized was Romance of the Three Kingdoms

RexRogers

Neo Member
I just got my copy of Shadowrun from eBay. I've never been one for rpgs, but I always kind of wanted this game since I was a kid. It seems to have other elements to it that make it more appealing.

So far I got to the first save point, but realized I already used an item I was supposed to save until later so I guess I'll restart. I'm liking it so far.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Am I right in thinking that EVO has a crappy story, and might as well be imported and played in japanese? No way I am paying the western asking price for that.

Btw, I think Mickeys Magical Quest is overrated. The game looks amazing, but it was just too slow for me when I finally got around to play it. Pretty easy too, not among the best Capcom disney-games unfortunately.

Timu

Btw, I think Mickeys Magical Quest is overrated. The game looks amazing, but it was just too slow for me when I finally got around to play it. Pretty easy too, not among the best Capcom disney-games unfortunately.
Which ones do you think are the best?

Ducktales is in its own league imo, and Darkwing Duck is also great, while I like Chip n Dale and Goof Troop for the multiplayer. So I would say those four are my favorites.

Those probably are the four best ones, yeah. DuckTales, Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck, and Goof Troop are all fantastic games.

I also agree that the Magical Quest games aren't as good as some people say. They're decent platformers, sure, but seem like somewhat average stuff, I haven't managed to stay interested in any of them to finish one even though they are fairly short and easy games... but of course I own all three anyway, including a Japanese copy of the third game. Heh.

Teknoman

Yeah first to admit the second one isn't all that, and the first is easy...but that's why I say it kinda feels like a G&G jr. Or at least the general art style after stage 1 and the soundtrack do. The lava world definitely feels like it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Am I right in thinking that EVO has a crappy story, and might as well be imported and played in japanese? No way I am paying the western asking price for that.

I like EVO's story a lot, especially some of the rare endings. But the price has gone from expensive to INSANE over the last 5 years, so I couldn't begrudge anyone choosing any alternative.

Morfeo

I like EVO's story a lot, especially some of the rare endings. But the price has gone from expensive to INSANE over the last 5 years, so I couldn't begrudge anyone choosing any alternative.

Ok thanks, I always thought the story was pretty much non-existent. Still, it has to be incredibly good to warrant that asking price, so I ended up importing it now. Thanks for the advice anyways!

Magical Quest 1 is pretty decent. Decent OST, neat power-ups, decent environment variety, and you could knock it out in two hours. Not top tier Capcom/Disney, but I put it on the same level as Aladdin SNES and just above things like Bonkers. The other two games are painfully boring outside of Co-Op, though.

If we're ranking stuff, then:

Top Tier:
DuckTales

High Tier:
Darkwing Duck
Rescue Rangers
Goof Troop
Duck Tales 2

Mid Tier:
Aladdin
Magical Quest 1
Rescue Rangers 2
Little Mermaid
Magical Tetris Challenge
Magical Quest 3
Bonkers
Magical Quest 2

Low Tier:
Adventures in the Magic Kingdom

Bottom Tier:
TaleSpin

Just my take, though. Even then, the only game on that list I'd say to actively avoid is TaleSpin.

Morfeo

I hated TaleSpin as a kid, but need to try it again to see what I think about it now. It cant be that bad, being Capcom and all, right?

Anyways, I pretty much agree with that list Seven Force.

Morfeo

Here it was one of the early games that started climbing, just after Ducktales 2. Glad I got it complete when it was still defendable. So angry I didnt buy more back when I had the chance though :( When will this market crash?

Timu

Here it was one of the early games that started climbing, just after Ducktales 2. Glad I got it complete when it was still defendable. So angry I didnt buy more back when I had the chance though :( When will this market crash?
I'll say never sadly.

Morfeo

Yeah, definitely seems that way. Sucks that the industry at large is going digital, but our niche just keeps attracting more and more people competing for the limited physical stuff that exist out there.

Wow, is this going to be like one of those ghost stories where you come back next day and the locals tell you that the place has been closed for 10 years?

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Up in Yonkers on business, and thought I'd check the local game spot for Pokemon Black & White 2 and hoooooooooly shit

I didn't think this kinda shit happened anymore
j5SmRK1.png

I dreamed I got a good deal on some SNES games from a local shop the other night. Then I woke up.

I have both of those though.

Morfeo

I dreamed I got a good deal on some SNES games from a local shop the other night. Then I woke up.

I have both of those though.

Lol, and I was dreaming about getting a new modded Snes with some amazingly sharp RGB-output that looked incredible. This really is getting out of hand :)

Teknoman

South Park made a Halloween episode out of Blockbuster Video.

I'm actually surprised they haven't had Randy go on a retro game spree yet. I mean SMB1 is even in a Froot Loops commercial now.

Btw does this look like a real label? I've never really looked that hard at alignment, but it came in the actual box with manual, inserts, and that little white holder thing.

CtjPRUU.jpg

Top Bottom