• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Peltz

but that console is fugly yo ;) Purple bloated mess

Can I buy a Japanese SNES and mod it to play US and PAL games?

Buy a SFC then just get a cart slot extender to play NA games. There's no mod required. The only region lockout between Japanese and North American SNES/SFC games is the shape of the cart.

SKINNER!

Banned
Buy a SFC then just get a cart slot extender to play NA games. There's no mod required. The only region lockout between Japanese and North American SNES/SFC games is the shape of the cart.

Sweet! Will pick up a sfc on my next visit to Tokyo then. Might have to figure out the power socket too.

RexRogers

Neo Member
Friend's trying to sell off his SNES.

A PAL SNES with a controller, Super Gameboy and 5 games (Super R Type, Super Aleste, UN Squadron, Earth Defence Force and Doom) for £75. worth it? I'm leaning towards "no" but those games are quite good... hmmm. I need a second opinion.

I'm also thinking of getting the SNES modded as I do wanna play NTSC games on it.

It's not a killer deal, but it's not bad. I know that Space Magaforce is quite high priced, but I'm not sure what the Euro version of Super Aleste goes for. That might make the whole deal right there.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Was going to buy Magical Taruruuto-Kun 1&2 for Famicon, and saw that the Super Famicom-game looked pretty decent in screens as well. Have anybody played this?

Morfeo

I played the Mega Drive one. It's a Game Freak joint!

Pretty simplistic though.

Yeah, that is the only one with any reputation it seems, but I heard the first on Famicom was like SMB3, googled it and found pics of what seemed like a decent game on the Super Famicom as well.

Was going to buy Magical Taruruuto-Kun 1&2 for Famicon, and saw that the Super Famicom-game looked pretty decent in screens as well. Have anybody played this?
I have the first NES game and the SNES game, and they're both above-average games worth trying if you like difficult classic platformers. They really are hard, though, expect a challenge particularly from the NES game, and apparently the sequel is maybe even harder. You die in one hit and get sent back to the start of the level when you die. Argh. Sort of like Mario 3 the levels aren't hugely long, but still getting through the games will require a lot of memorization.The two NES games and the SNES game have fairly similar designs, except the SNES game might be a bit easier. You play as Taruruuto-kun and have a lick attack as the central mechanic along with jumping. You can eat these candy things as items, but they are also platforms, unless you eat them. This makes things interesting sometimes, and also hard as the difficulty quickly spikes upwards. All three do have battery save though, which is cool. I didn't expect that from licensed platformers. The NES games have nice graphics for the system as well. I was pleasantly surprised by the NES and SNES Taruruuto games I have, they have issues for sure but are decent games for those who like this kind of thing. They are fun games to challenge and try to get through levels in.

As for the Sega games, though... well, I haven't played the Genesis one, but the Game Gear game is a pitifully easy and basic shmup. The GG is plagued with far too many subpar games even from Sega itself, and sadly Taruruuto for the GG is one of those -- first-party, but not that good. The game looks okay and plays acceptably I guess, but it's so bland, slow, and easy that it probably isn't really worth it. But yes, it is a scrolling shooter. This feels a lot more like a kids' game than the pretty tough Nintendo games, though I don't know how challenging the GB game is, haven't played that one.

Morfeo

I have the first NES game and the SNES game, and they're both above-average games worth trying if you like difficult classic platformers. They really are hard, though, expect a challenge particularly from the NES game, and apparently the sequel is maybe even harder. You die in one hit and get sent back to the start of the level when you die. Argh. Sort of like Mario 3 the levels aren't hugely long, but still getting through the games will require a lot of memorization.The two NES games and the SNES game have fairly similar designs, except the SNES game might be a bit easier. You play as Taruruuto-kun and have a lick attack as the central mechanic along with jumping. You can eat these candy things as items, but they are also platforms, unless you eat them. This makes things interesting sometimes, and also hard as the difficulty quickly spikes upwards. All three do have battery save though, which is cool. I didn't expect that from licensed platformers. The NES games have nice graphics for the system as well. I was pleasantly surprised by the NES and SNES Taruruuto games I have, they have issues for sure but are decent games for those who like this kind of thing. They are fun games to challenge and try to get through levels in.

As for the Sega games, though... well, I haven't played the Genesis one, but the Game Gear game is a pitifully easy and basic shmup. The GG is plagued with far too many subpar games even from Sega itself, and sadly Taruruuto for the GG is one of those -- first-party, but not that good. The game looks okay and plays acceptably I guess, but it's so bland, slow, and easy that it probably isn't really worth it. But yes, it is a scrolling shooter. This feels a lot more like a kids' game than the pretty tough Nintendo games, though I don't know how challenging the GB game is, haven't played that one.

Thanks alot for this writeup!

IrishNinja

i keep forgetting Super Everdrive (v2) boards are < $80, really thinking of grabbing one after paying some more stuff off...it'll be nice to round out the 16-bit stuff, and i know there's a ton of imports/prototype/fan stuff etc ive not played.

messed with it (not sure which version) at gunsmith's and it's cool but notably more loading time when booting a new title than my mega everdrive, anyway...not terrible, but it stood out. i'm also thinking i'd save the $ & leave off DSP support since the only titles it'd wanna play (Kart, Pilotwings) i already have.

Thanks alot for this writeup!

With how popular the NES has been for so long, it is kind of odd that the NES games particularly have never gotten any attention... they're not the best games, sure, but they are interesting enough to be worth a look. They are difficult but rewarding platformers with some good game mechanics, why are they almost entirely unknown? I guess that Japan-only games for the NES in general aren't nearly as well known as US-released titles, that must be part of the reason. Of course they are also licensed platformers, but try that games and they are clearly better than a lot of games in that field. Of course stuff like Capcom's licensed NES games are better, but still, Taruruuto-kun for the NES is interesting. Hard, but interesting. I haven't spent as much time with the SNES game, but it seems like a decent game as well. Similar mechanics but better visuals, as you'd expect.

Morfeo

With how popular the NES has been for so long, it is kind of odd that the NES games particularly have never gotten any attention... they're not the best games, sure, but they are ineresting enough to be worth a look. I guess that Japan-only games for the NES in general aren't nearly as well known as US-released titles. Of course they are also licensed platformers, but try that games and they are clearly better than a lot of games in that field. Of course stuff like Capcom's licensed NES games are better, but still, Taruruuto-kun for the NES is interesting. Hard, but interesting. I haven't spent as much time with the SNES game, but it seems like a decent game as well. Similar mechanics but better visuals, as you'd expect.

Yeah, I still feel this is a goldmine waiting to be discovered, so many unreleased games that people dont talk about, and while we probably know about the best, there are sure to be a few underrated classics still.

SKINNER!

Banned
It's not a killer deal, but it's not bad. I know that Space Magaforce is quite high priced, but I'm not sure what the Euro version of Super Aleste goes for. That might make the whole deal right there.

A PAL Super Aleste doesn't go for much. Thanks for the input :) He decided to put it up on eBay in the end.

I think I've come to the point where I'll only pounce on snes stuff if I find it at a really cheap price.

With how popular the NES has been for so long, it is kind of odd that the NES games particularly have never gotten any attention... they're not the best games, sure, but they are interesting enough to be worth a look. They are difficult but rewarding platformers with some good game mechanics, why are they almost entirely unknown? I guess that Japan-only games for the NES in general aren't nearly as well known as US-released titles, that must be part of the reason. Of course they are also licensed platformers, but try that games and they are clearly better than a lot of games in that field. Of course stuff like Capcom's licensed NES games are better, but still, Taruruuto-kun for the NES is interesting. Hard, but interesting. I haven't spent as much time with the SNES game, but it seems like a decent game as well. Similar mechanics but better visuals, as you'd expect.

Haven't heard of these but a quick look on YT shows a game that seems really text heavy for a platformer.

NR1

D625025F-A41F-4E1F-B455-A7EDE8CCA93B.jpg

95F095B3-57B2-443C-B086-FB6FB1253611.jpg

Well this was certainly unexpected... ;)

NR1

Did you find a time machine?

Really thought you were posting an old pic to taunt us, but I guess if that were the case they would just be giving away Mario World.

EntertainMart is an amazing place sometimes. I walked away from the case to post the photo her on NeoGAF, and someone else had already grabed SMW, MK, and Zelda--- plus a copy of Pikmin on GCN for $15. I got King of Monster, MMPR, and Rocketeer.

EntertainMart is an amazing place sometimes. I walked away from the case to post the photo her on NeoGAF, and someone else had already grabed SMW, MK, and Zelda--- plus a copy of Pikmin on GCN for $15. I got King of Monster, MMPR, and Rocketeer.

it's a shark tank out there

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member

Caught slippin'.

Mzo

Shoulda grabbed it all, son!

Take pictures at home.

edit: Rocketeer on SNES is absolute shit. Should've left it there.

Wow, anytime I see a crazy good deal I'm on it ASAP, always paranoid someone is going to notice, or the place is going to wise up at the last second

Had a pretty good find this weekend. CIB (w/map) King Arthur and the Knights of Justice for $50. Everything is near mint. And I got a $5 credit for spending that amount, so it was basically $45

TeaJay

I picked up Seiken Densetsu 2 CIB for 3 € by making a non-serious bid and ending up winning. I never got into Secret of Mana that much, and I remember getting f*ed by the Tiger boss very early into the game. I figure I can play at least that far even without knowing japanese, but how is the rest of the game provided I follow a walkthrough and/or script?

I picked up Seiken Densetsu 2 CIB for 3 € by making a non-serious bid and ending up winning. I never got into Secret of Mana that much, and I remember getting f*ed by the Tiger boss very early into the game. I figure I can play at least that far even without knowing japanese, but how is the rest of the game provided I follow a walkthrough and/or script?

There's really only one branching spot and it's about two thirds to three quarters of the way through. The rest of the game is extremely linear and straight forward. If you follow a script you'll be fine.

IrishNinja

IrishNinja

double post cause fuckyalife

I love his videos. His original '90s room tour had over a million views like 3 or 4 years ago but I guess it got content ID'd or removed or whatever.

Edit: found the original thread
http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=483357

okay sub'd but now im bummed cause i can't find the next SNES tower of power (gotta have a game genie!) and i never even saw that other modem thing, plus the video in 16's thread is gone

psylah

goddamn, harsh but fair - you really can't sleep for even a moment at these things
if that was out here? a reseller would've been there an hour before they opened, and covered it with his arms if you got there too

Roll with an emergency 100 in your wallet for stuff like this.

IrishNinja

Roll with an emergency 100 in your wallet for stuff like this.

this post can be taken for a joke, but it's dead-ass serious: if you roll up on an early-morning garage sale or swap shop deal, no one's gonna wait for you to find a nearby ATM. ive literally scooped up shit this way.

Morfeo

This tiger is hard if you dont use the area leding up to him to grind, which many new players probably dont do.

Peltz

After years of loving this game in various forms, I finally own the original version that I've always wanted:

I bought it on impulse at a retro-gaming store so I definitely overpaid ($129) but I sort of don't care. I had been craving this cart for so long that I just couldn't walk away from it anymore.

RexRogers

Neo Member
How many here have multiple SNES consoles? I mean, it's wise to have a backup just in case. Right?

Me? I have the original SHVC model and then a 1CHIP-02 for the razor sharp pixels that make your eyes bleed.

Peltz

How many here have multiple SNES consoles? I mean, it's wise to have a backup just in case. Right?

Me? I have the original SHVC model and then a 1CHIP-02 for the razor sharp pixels that make your eyes bleed.

I really need to grab a 1-chip someday. Is there any way to figure out if an SNES is a 1-chip on eBay?

RexRogers

Neo Member
I really need to grab a 1-chip someday. Is there any way to figure out if an SNES is a 1-chip on eBay?

Another method is to search for something like "SNES console only". From there you have to rely on people putting up pics of the unit's serial number on the back. Check against the motherboard revision number document to help locate a 1CHIP. Generally, if the serial number starts with UN309* or greater then it's going to be a 1CHIP.

It's harder to find a 1CHIP this way, but you'll probably save $30 versus buying from someone who knows what they've got.

I have an original snes mini and a super retro trio. The latter has s-video, and plays my NES games too, so it's a no brainer which one I play more. The SR3 is pretty much a perfect console in my opinion (plus it looks cool...in white and blue).

Peltz

I have an original snes mini and a super retro trio. The latter has s-video, and plays my NES games too, so it's a no brainer which one I play more. The SR3 is pretty much a perfect console in my opinion (plus it looks cool...in white and blue).

Doesn't SNES support S-Video?

D.Lo

1-Chip SNES on Ebay.

Some even have pics of what it looks like inside.
lol. Pretty weird too since the better video is unusable in the US without a PVM, expensive scaler or at the very least an RGB to component box plus component CRT. All of which would be beyond casual consumers.

And if you get a decent RGB method, might as well go the one extra step for even better video (or blown out contrast depending on who you ask) from a modded Super Fami Jr.

IrishNinja

yes SNES supports s-vid (and rather well) if you have the cables/set

no they're not kidding, SNES shit is expensive

no you don't have much of a chance bucking that, this seen got toxic long before others and has yet to break from that

yes you absolutely raid any local resource you know that's not checking bullshit ass ebay

yes you should prolly bail entirely like me and buy a super everdrive board

Hey guys, how did you first learn of the existence of Tactics Ogre ?

For me, it was EGM, this preview:

JurPokJ.jpg

PS1 port was the first I had head of it probably. Didn't play it until PSP remake though.

Got introduced to the series through Ogre Battle 64, which I loved.

Top Bottom