• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Olly88

I once saw a complete SFC Super Back to the Future that had the label upside down. I really, really regret not getting it as it was only £25, but that label weirded me out.

Teknoman

Cool, glad its nothing to worry about. That being said, also snagged Spanky's Quest, Lagoon, and Goof Troop (Along with Shadowman for Dreamcast and Wai Wai World 2 for Famicom).

NDPsycho

I'm actually surprised they haven't had Randy go on a retro game spree yet. I mean SMB1 is even in a Froot Loops commercial now.

Btw does this look like a real label? I've never really looked that hard at alignment, but it came in the actual box with manual, inserts, and that little white holder thing.

I think it looks good, besides, I doubt there's much of a racket re-labeling $15 carts :)

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Cool, glad its nothing to worry about. That being said, also snagged Spanky's Quest, Lagoon, and Goof Troop (Along with Shadowman for Dreamcast and Wai Wai World 2 for Famicom).

Had never heard of this one, is it any good? I see its from the masters at Natsume. Interesting.

Had never heard of this one, is it any good? I see its from the masters at Natsume. Interesting.

no clue. i kinda wanna get it for the photography on the back tho.

1530699_398206273706226_442889662_n.jpg

Mzo

I love the localization team's changes. We can't translate this pun. It's a monkey? Call him Spanky, that'll be hilarious forever.

PS - I am being sarcastic. It's stupid.

Morfeo

So, I have a Snes that is modded for 50/60hz with a switch, but I just realized - I have RGB-cables for both my old Pal Snes and NTSC Snes. Do I have to change cables when I change the switch? Since they are apparently not compatible with each other? Anybody has a good solution to this?

-KRS-

So, I have a Snes that is modded for 50/60hz with a switch, but I just realized - I have RGB-cables for both my old Pal Snes and NTSC Snes. Do I have to change cables when I change the switch? Since they are apparently not compatible with each other? Anybody has a good solution to this?

No, you only have to use the cable for the console's original region. So if it's an NTSC console use the NTSC cable and vice versa. The 50/60hz switch doesn't change what color signal the console outputs.

Morfeo

No, you only have to use the cable for the console's original region. So if it's an NTSC console use the NTSC cable and vice versa. The 50/60hz switch doesn't change what color signal the console outputs.

Awesome! Didnt want to take the chance on something here :)

Morfeo

Btw, I can understand not using Pal cables on NTSC-machines and vice versa, but why is it that we cant use a Snes RGB-cable on for instance an RGB-modded Famicom or Nes?

Teknoman

no clue. i kinda wanna get it for the photography on the back tho.

1530699_398206273706226_442889662_n.jpg

I love the localization team's changes. We can't translate this pun. It's a monkey? Call him Spanky, that'll be hilarious forever.

PS - I am being sarcastic. It's stupid.

It's a cool bubble bobble 2 style puzzle platformer, but the soundtrack is what convinced me.

Mzo

Yeah, the game itself is fine. It's just going from Hansei Zaru: Jiro-kun no Daibouken to goddamn Spanky's Quest that is weird.

illadelph

played through Cool Spot last night...it looks and sounds great, is actually kinda fun, but it's not altogether great. All of the levels just kind of have enemies jumping at you from off screen, making it really cheap sometimes. The level design sort of blows and feels random most of the time.

The best parts of the game were the bonus levels inside of a giant 7-Up bottle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYMQhZNu8_U

Morfeo

I heard the Mega Drive-version was better at this, being slightly more zoomed out, thus making cheap enemy placement less of an issue.

Not just that, but enemies that die in the Genesis version stay dead, whereas they respawn in the SNES version. I forget if the respawn condition is "you died" or "you scrolled their spawnpoint off the screen", but in either case they won't come back in the Genesis version, giving you a little bit more peace-of-mind.

played through Cool Spot last night...it looks and sounds great, is actually kinda fun, but it's not altogether great. All of the levels just kind of have enemies jumping at you from off screen, making it really cheap sometimes. The level design sort of blows and feels random most of the time.

The best parts of the game were the bonus levels inside of a giant 7-Up bottle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYMQhZNu8_U

The leap of faiths in Wading Around always drive me insane.

Mzo

Genesis version also has the correct aspect ratio and tighter controls.

All Genny to SNES ports look too fat.

I mean, it's something that can be worked around by using the Genesis's 256x224 resolution, so it's got parity with the SNES version. But why do that?

Timu

I remember playing Cool Spot back in the day...I didn't know there were dat many differences between the GEN and SNES versions.

I have the Genesis version of Cool Spot, and yeah, as good as it looks I don't like the gameplay at all. Platformers which are loaded with blind jumps are AWFUL, I hate that stuff. Too many could-have-been-good 4th-gen platformers are ruined with a plethora of blind jumps. And of course they all have bottomless pits too. Another Virgin title from that era with the same problem is Global Gladiators for the Genesis, the blind jumps over bottomless pits make that game no fun at all to play.

Timu

I have the Genesis version of Cool Spot, and yeah, as good as it looks I don't like the gameplay at all. Platformers which are loaded with blind jumps are AWFUL, I hate that stuff. Too many could-have-been-good 4th-gen platformers are ruined with a plethora of blind jumps. And of course they all have bottomless pits too.
Taz Mania is the worst game for that.

I remember playing through Taz and enjoying it back at launch. I played through it recently and hated just about every minute of it. I think I was such a big looney tunes fan at the time that I ignored the gameplay flaws.

Peagles

I should probably try Taz on MD. I only ever played the MS version and really enjoyed that one! Sounds like MD one will disappoint though.

Timu

I remember playing through Taz and enjoying it back at launch. I played through it recently and hated just about every minute of it. I think I was such a big looney tunes fan at the time that I ignored the gameplay flaws.
I didn't like it when it 1st came out, I remember getting lost and frustrated. Also, he picks up bombs and eat them for no reason!

I should probably try Taz on MD. I only ever played the MS version and really enjoyed that one! Sounds like MD one will disappoint though.

If you really want to play a Genesis Taz game, play the second one, Escape from Mars. It gets rid of most of the blind jumps and actually is an okay platformer, unlike its predecessor.

As for the GG game though, that seems subpar at best, playing it now...

Peagles

If you really want to play a Genesis Taz game, play the second one, Escape from Mars. It gets rid of most of the blind jumps and actually is an okay platformer, unlike its predecessor.

As for the GG game though, that seems subpar at best, playing it now...

Y'know. I actually own that one. It's not too bad. I think it's under my bed at my folks' house lol. Everdrive to the rescue!

Just finished up Chrono Trigger using the MSU1 music mod. I think it's time I let go of Final Fantasy IV and say Chrono Trigger is the best SNES game. Just so perfect, despite my hating silent protagonists. Pretty short for an RPG. But, there's really no filler. It's just all fucking goodness through and through.

Y'know. I actually own that one. It's not too bad. I think it's under my bed at my folks' house lol. Everdrive to the rescue!
Escape from Mars is alright, yeah. It did surprise me when I played it, because I was expecting a really frustrating experience like the first game, but it's better. I like the classic Looney Tunes space theme setting as well, for sure. The GG version of Escape from Mars is based on the Genesis game and is decent, I like it a lot more than the not-so-good first GG title. The Genesis version is better though of course.

But to talk a bit more about most of the other 4th-gen Looney Tunes games, because Looney Tunes is my favorite cartoon series ever...

Perhaps unsurprisingly (considering my nostalgia for the first GB Looney Tunes game), my favorite early '90s Taz game is the first Game Boy game. I love Sunsoft's Looney Tunes games for the GB, and their GB Taz-Mania game is pretty good, as are all four of Sunsoft's original-GB Looney Tunes games (Looney Tunes, Taz-Mania, Daffy Duck: The Marvin Missions, and Speedy Gonzales). I don't like most of their SNES Looney Tunes games nearly as much, though the Speedy game for SNES is good. Sunsoft also later on made three GB/C dual-mode Looney Tunes games, one a color remake of Looney Tunes and the other two new games that are okay but not as good as the older ones (Daffy Duck: Fowl Play and Speedy Gonzales: Aztec Adventure).

Oh, there is a Taz-Mania 2 for the GB, but it's from a different publisher and looks definitely not as good as Sunsoft's game. The sprites are a lot smaller, for one thing... I don't have the game though, so I haven't played it much. I have almost all of Sunsoft's 4th-gen Looney Tunes games, but not that game.

As for Sunsoft's SNES Looney Tunes games, Sunsoft's SNES Taz game is weird, it's that behind-the-character-3d-running game. It's okay, but not great. Of Sunsoft's other SNES Looney Tunes games, as I said Speedy Gonzales in Los Gatos Banditos is good. It's a clear attempt at a Sonic-esque game on the SNES and while it's not as good as a real Sonic game, it is a good game. The other ones, though... the SNES Daffy Duck: The Marvin Missions game is okay, but frustrating. I like it a lot less than the GB game. Bugs Bunny: Rabbit Rampage is too zoomed in. It's a bit below average, probably. Porky Pig: Haunted Holiday is good though, that's one of the better ones. It's a short but weird, and fun, game. And Road Runner: Death Valley Rally is a game I want to like, but... argh, it's just too fast for its own good, much like the GG Road Runner game (though it might control better than that GG game). It's got a HORRIBLE blind jumps problem as a result. The good Road Runner game is the Genesis game from Sega, that one I like. Sega's Genesis Bugs Bunny game is only okay, but it might be slightly better than the SNES one from Sunsoft. (It has a GG port too, which is the same basic game but with not as good, and tiny, graphics.)

Mzo

Porky Pig: Haunted Holiday is a pile of fetid shit.

It was outsourced by Sunsoft to like, one dude working by himself who obviously couldn't handle it. It's awful through and through. I played it through with a friend after finding it at a flea market and we were dying laughing at how garbage it was. You can so easily tell which sprites are based on whatever pitifuly small reference material he was sent and which ones are original (because they are insultingly bad.)

The weird Taz game got boring fast.

I'm cool with SNES Road Runner, Marvin Missions and Rabbit Rampage. Not the best-playing games but they're true to the source material and were fun to play through.

Definitely want to try Speedy Gonzales some day.

Zing

Banned
What in the hell happened? I bought (then later sold) Ninja Warriors for about $40 just last year. Did someone make more YouTube videos about it or something?

What in the hell happened? I bought (then later sold) Ninja Warriors for about $40 just last year. Did someone make more YouTube videos about it or something?

It might have to do with the developer connection to ebay darling Wild Guns

though if that's true, Power Rangers is next, lol

I have the JP version (Ninja Warriors Again) It's different from the NA release with a human Kunoichi enemy type not present in NA, and blood (but it's green, lol)

entremet

It might have to do with the developer connection to ebay darling Wild Guns

though if that's true, Power Rangers is next, lol

I have the JP version (Ninja Warriors Again) It's different from the NA release with a human Kunoichi enemy type not present in NA, and blood (but it's green, lol)

That makes sense. Those games all have a certain feel.

The Ninja Warriors so good. Much better than the arcade.

Too bad it's crazy expensive.

I agree that SNES Ninja Warriors is a lot better than the arcade game thanks to the much-improved combat system (Though the removal of multiplayer is annoying), but I do think that sticking with an isometric view was a mistake; I think beat 'em ups are usually better isometric than they are side-scrolling, and SNES Ninja Warriors is no exception there. Still, it's a fun game, yeah. It's too bad the price has gone insane in recent years.

This reminds me that I missed the boat on Pocky and Rocky and Ninja Warriors :(

I wish it'd been Pocky & Rocky I found for cheap back in the mid to late '00s instead of Ninja Warriors, those games are great stuff from what I've seen. Either of those games is far better than SNES Ninja Warriors, but I don't have them because I never saw them for an affordable price and now they cost even more. Ah well.

Porky Pig: Haunted Holiday is a pile of fetid shit.

It was outsourced by Sunsoft to like, one dude working by himself who obviously couldn't handle it. It's awful through and through. I played it through with a friend after finding it at a flea market and we were dying laughing at how garbage it was. You can so easily tell which sprites are based on whatever pitifuly small reference material he was sent and which ones are original (because they are insultingly bad.)
Really, you disliked it that much? I agree that it's short, and it is outsourced (the game is by a British team, so it has some of that Euro-platformer feel - maybe this is why you dislike it?), but when I bought and played it sometime after getting it in '09 I thought it was a fun game. I wish there was more to it, but I liked the few levels it has. I particularly like that crazy level later in the game, with the doors warping you to various places and stuff. It felt very Looney Tunes and fits the show well. :) It's certainly not a great game, but I do think it's a bit above average and one of the more fun SNES Looney Tunes games. Oh, and you exaggerate when you say only one person worked on the game, there was a team.

Longplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRWxNldSl2w

The weird Taz game got boring fast.[]/quote]
It is repetitive, yeah.

[quote[I'm cool with SNES Road Runner, Marvin Missions and Rabbit Rampage. Not the best-playing games but they're true to the source material and were fun to play through.

Definitely want to try Speedy Gonzales some day.
Speedy's the best of the bunch in my opinion, so do try it out. But Road Runner... those blind jumps really hurt it. The Genesis Road Runner game really is better.

Mzo

Oh god, that music. Yeah, looking at that video makes me feel like I was too kind to the game. I don't see how you can look at that (let alone play it and feel the controls) and think yes, this is acceptable, let alone good.

I was being generous saying one guy was behind it. If it was a whole team then that's a new level of incompetence.

Good to hear Speedy's fun. Hopefully I'll come
across a cheap copy some day.

Now I really want to try that Genesis Road Runner game. And yeah, the SNES one had blind jumps and not the greatest level design but I was patient and spent time learning the levels to find the best routes. When I rented a game it was basically all I did that weekend and I really went for completion every time.

SKINNER!

Banned
Friend's trying to sell off his SNES.

A PAL SNES with a controller, Super Gameboy and 5 games (Super R Type, Super Aleste, UN Squadron, Earth Defence Force and Doom) for £75. worth it? I'm leaning towards "no" but those games are quite good... hmmm. I need a second opinion.

I'm also thinking of getting the SNES modded as I do wanna play NTSC games on it.

Peltz

Friend's trying to sell off his SNES.

A PAL SNES with a controller, Super Gameboy and 5 games (Super R Type, Super Aleste, UN Squadron, Earth Defence Force and Doom) for £75. worth it? I'm leaning towards "no" but those games are quite good... hmmm. I need a second opinion.

I'm also thinking of getting the SNES modded as I do wanna play NTSC games on it.

I'm not familiar with PAL stuff, but if it's anything like NTSC stuff, then yea, you could probably do better.

Top Bottom