• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

hypotc

Guys, I finally scored a good deal!

This was listed on ebay as "Super Mario World (Super Nintendo, 1992) Game Cartridge Only + Large Lot6 Total"

I paid $35 for these.

LOOK AT THE OTHER GAMES!

12052446_10156687551410131_7528755945833545746_o.jpg

Sunset Riders
Ghoul Patrol
Zombies Ate My Neighbors

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

This was listed on ebay as "Super Mario World (Super Nintendo, 1992) Game Cartridge Only + Large Lot6 Total"

I paid $35 for these.

LOOK AT THE OTHER GAMES!

Sunset Riders
Ghoul Patrol
Zombies Ate My Neighbors

Awesome find! And I just realized you are another norwegian from the collector facebook-group!

BTails

Hey guys, just finished through a quick playthrough of Ghost Sweeper Mikami, an absolutely charming action platformer for Super Famicom. Anyone play this one before? It's really short and easy, but it kept a smile on my face the whole time.

Full impression located in the "GAF Plays... 31 Nights of Horror 3" thread here

Morfeo

Hey guys, just finished through a quick playthrough of Ghost Sweeper Mikami, an absolutely charming action platformer for Super Famicom. Anyone play this one before? It's really short and easy, but it kept a smile on my face the whole time.

Full impression located in the "GAF Plays... 31 Nights of Horror 3" thread here

Wow, never heard of it and looks great
bought!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I paid $35 for these.

LOOK AT THE OTHER GAMES!

Sunset Riders
Ghoul Patrol
Zombies Ate My Neighbors

congrats that's somewhere around $250-ish worth of merch

IrishNinja

whoah, is that the one in the top-left corner i was having a hard time with? as a huge ZAMN fan, i know ive been told it's not as good but i still gotta play it one day...damn, what a haul

TeaJay

Are repro carts out of games that don't have a western release frowned upon? I'm looking to get myself a Secret of Mana 2 package, possibly with box and instructions as well. If anyone has ordered one, give me a pointer on a website that delivers good quality.

Morfeo

Are repro carts out of games that don't have a western release frowned upon? I'm looking to get myself a Secret of Mana 2 package, possibly with box and instructions as well. If anyone has ordered one, give me a pointer on a website that delivers good quality.

Not frowned upon from me, Im definitely getting this eventually as well.

My SNES mini crapped out. It never really worked right when I initially bought it, taking a few tries to get the game working (bad video connector internally, wonky cart pins, and probably also a bad fuse ). The AC adapter (original) also never works when plugged into a surge protector, don't understand why.

I've been using a super retro trio for the last couple of months, and that's been fantastic.

Went to turn on the SNES mini yesterday, and it simply doesn't turn on. No signal, no power, nothing. Ugh!

Since the vast majority of my collection is Japanese, going with a super Famicom now. Can anyone recommend a decent s-video cable? I've been looking on eBay, and I picked up a multi system cable from a local store (ie plays xbox1, ps2, and n64/GC/Snes), but those always seem to have a history of failing, And with poor shielding.

In the worst case scenario I can continue to use my original Nintendo composite cable. It's being played on a small old LCD TV, so it doesn't look "perfect" with anything, composite or s-video. :)

My SNES mini crapped out. It never really worked right when I initially bought it, taking a few tries to get the game working (bad video connector internally, wonky cart pins, and probably also a bad fuse ). The AC adapter (original) also never works when plugged into a surge protector, don't understand why.

I've been using a super retro trio for the last couple of months, and that's been fantastic.

Went to turn on the SNES mini yesterday, and it simply doesn't turn on. No signal, no power, nothing. Ugh!

Since the vast majority of my collection is Japanese, going with a super Famicom now. Can anyone recommend a decent s-video cable? I've been looking on eBay, and I picked up a multi system cable from a local store (ie plays xbox1, ps2, and n64/GC/Snes), but those always seem to have a history of failing, And with poor shielding.

In the worst case scenario I can continue to use my original Nintendo composite cable. It's being played on a small old LCD TV, so it doesn't look "perfect" with anything, composite or s-video. :)

Probably fuse? If you haven't already, you should just replace it; if it's not getting any power that's usually the culprit.

For s-video cables, I keep stumbling upon more OEM Nintendo ones (like one came with my AV Famicom, which doesn't make any sense), and they always work fine. Is it hard to find those?

Cheerilee

AFAIK, Neogaf doesn't care about the mechanics of piracy (beyond they're awesome), they care about the ethics of piracy.

Basically, if you import a Japanese Seiken Densetsu 3 cart, you've pretty much met Neogaf's moral barometer.

You can buy a Retrode and rip the ROM and apply a fan-translation patch, and play the game on your PC like a commoner, or drop the translated ROM onto an Everdrive and play on a CRT using an actual SNES like a winner. CFW your PSP and you can play your ROMs on the go (actually, SNES emulation on PSP is kind of garbage). Or... you can just skip that "Retrode" part and download the ROM. If you've already bought the Japanese cart, it's not like that detail makes much of a difference.

There's some grey area, like some people seem to feel it's okay to pirate some games that can only be purchased at inflated "collector" prices, and other feel it's wrong to put your ROMs on an HBC'ed Wii when Virtual Console versions exist.

When in doubt, just don't say anything. Neogaf will ban you if you provide proof of piracy (and while you're a Junior Member, all bans are perma-bans, where other people might get away with a one-week slap on the wrist), but you're not required to self-incriminate (unless EviLore is in a funny mood).

Repro carts are just another mechanism, although there is some frowning upon repro carts, because a genuine SNES game needed to die in order for you to pretend that another game once lived. I must admit, it bothers me a little, even though I have a repro cart myself. In the interests of preservation, an Everdrive is much more ethical.

Repros of games that do have Western releases draw a fair bit more scrutiny, because they offer very little beyond "piracy" (technically, I could buy a Chrono Trigger repro as a "backup" for my beloved original, but there's no denying that a lot of people go for those because they don't want to pay the collector's market price, which is drifting into piracy that some people feel is justified).

I paid $35 for these.

LOOK AT THE OTHER GAMES!

Sunset Riders
Ghoul Patrol
Zombies Ate My Neighbors

Outstanding! Nice work.

NDPsycho

Just get the SFC version unless you only want North American carts.

Well, I've got a Mega Man 7 cart and box finally. Also picked up the X games too. I'm not opposed to SFC games, but normally only get them when a version wasn't released for SNES.

I decided to get the Latin/Central America version. I was concerned over getting reproduction labels and it looks like most selling repro labels and boxes are selling them for US or PAL copies, not LTN copies (at least as far as I've seen). There doesn't seem to be much of a stigma for LTN over USA versions (I assume because it's not something many buyers pay attention to or know about) based off of completed sales, so it seems like the safest bet for my interests. Both go for stupid prices, but what doesn't.

Cart boards are identical to US boards, the only cart difference is a -LTN instead of -USA on the label and the box has two minor differences as well. Front of US box says 'Sold by Capcom' and the LTN box just says 'CAPCOM'. Back of box just has the different regions it is allowed for sale in. Might be tough to track down a manual now, but that's usually the last piece I end up getting anyway.

I've only ever heard of this and Captain Commando having the -LTN codes. Are there many more that were segregated from the USA releases? I assume they came at the tail end when Nintendo had Majesco making carts for the USA and I assume they or someone else continued to release them in Central America under separate licensing? Kind of got me looking at my other carts and the only other one I have that isn't USA is my Super Metroid with a -CAN.

Teknoman

They arent...but personally i'd roll with Seiken Densetsu 3 CIB and then just have the SFC cart patched to have the translation. Better looking logo anyway.

TeaJay

They arent...but personally i'd roll with Seiken Densetsu 3 CIB and then just have the SFC cart patched to have the translation. Better looking logo anyway.

This seems like a huge undertaking and again I don't think I know anyone who is cabable of doing it over here. But I'll ask around.

But you're of course right, it would be really nice to have the original box and cart which just happens to play in english.

TheWraith

Is it just me or is the Japanese version of Sunset Riders impossible to find? Anyone know how much it tends to go for, way more then the SNES version?

Teknoman

This seems like a huge undertaking and again I don't think I know anyone who is cabable of doing it over here. But I'll ask around.

But you're of course right, it would be really nice to have the original box and cart which just happens to play in english.

You could ask whoever you're ordering the Secret of Mana 2 repro from. Its not always a success, but its worth a try.

Sunset Riders doesn't have an SFC version. Neither does Zombies Ate My Neighbors or Matal Warriors while we're on the subject of Konami SNES games.

Probably fuse? If you haven't already, you should just replace it; if it's not getting any power that's usually the culprit.

For s-video cables, I keep stumbling upon more OEM Nintendo ones (like one came with my AV Famicom, which doesn't make any sense), and they always work fine. Is it hard to find those?

Thanks for the tip about the fuse. I will give it a try since it's a cheap fix. But anything more than that, I'm not gonna bother (ie video connector or power connector). The super Famicom system I just bought was only around $50. (Mint condition!)

Oddly I found a vendor selling the S video cable I was looking for, for around $25. That's not too bad, got lucky because he's local.

Apparently the only two good brands were the original Nintendo ones, and the monster brand. The rest are apparently hit and miss, and I can probably second that given my experience with the random quality of the multi type unbranded cables.

Timu

Apparently the only two good brands were the original Nintendo ones, and the monster brand. The rest are apparently hit and miss, and I can probably second that given my experience with the random quality of the multi type unbranded cables.
This is true for Sony and Microsoft as well!!!

Morfeo

Playing Rockman 7 for the first time, and having a blast. Really fun to see this and listen to the awesome remix here:
6Rd43H1.jpg

D.Lo

Sunset Riders doesn't have an SFC version. Neither does Zombies Ate My Neighbors or Matal Warriors while we're on the subject of Konami SNES games.
Zombies Ate My Neighbors and Metal Warriors are both Lucasarts games, Konami just published them in NA (and PAL for Zombies), so that's expected.

Sunset Riders is a strange one for Japan to not get though, guess the arcade game did poorly there.

What's hilarious is it looks like you can get the actual arcade PCB for around the same price as the Super Nintendo game now!

Morfeo

never played 7, so that's really cool to see!

i feel like i don't deserve to...i haven't finished an MM since 2

Well, you might as well start with Rockman 3, one of the best games on the Famicom!

Anyways, Rockman 7 is freaking great, lots of secrets, great level design and cool weapons. Underwhelming bosses so far though. Beaten 7 of the first 8 Robot Masters so far. Nice to see Protoman return!

Picked up A Link To the Past and King of The Monsters 2 for about 30$. It's kind of weird I went out of my way to buy LTTP again when I already own it on the Wii VC but at least now when the NX comes out I won't feel the need to upgrade again.

Morfeo

Definitely a great game, although not a very innovative one, which makes it hard to recommend for people who havent already played the brilliant Nes-games or X-trilogy to death, but still a very fun game for everybody who loves action-plattformers.

RvfM4pw.jpg

The last boss was a pain though, and I actually had to resort to e-tanks to beat him which is the first final boss in a Mega Man-game where I had to do that, but I just could not figure out how to reliably dodge his moves :( A bit cheating there I guess.

Morfeo

Pretty sure MM7's Wily fight is the one that's balanced around having to use e-tanks. That's about right.

Yeah, like i wrote, I never use e-tanks in MM-games, but in this fight it seemed impossible to avoid some of the attacks, so I ended up doing it. Some bullshit if the fight is balanced around that imo, was always fun to do everything without them (and next, everything with only the buster).

I paid $35 for these.

LOOK AT THE OTHER GAMES!

Sunset Riders
Ghoul Patrol
Zombies Ate My Neighbors

My bad, I just noticed this post. What a great find!

IrishNinja

You really don't deserve to.

We can probably run clear through 6 one of these days.

I thought I knew you.

*shrug* i love MM, but i just don't finish em. beat MMX1 dozens of times, play the other ones casually too

what's worse is im a bigger CV fan and have finished very few of the classic ones myself (tag-teamed many though), like i love em but i don't put in the time before moving onto something else...not having an NES as a kid can be blamed for at least that chunk of time, haha.

one day when i run through a few series' on my list (Shining Force, etc) ill give them a proper go. i bought the ones i wanted before they got stupid-pricey so there's time.

D.Lo

Oh wow I got the Japanese version of Batman Returns, and it is 100% in English. It appears there is no Japanese in the game at all.

Which is cool it has some very nice cinemas and dat ending
YOU ARE THE TRUE DARK KNIGHT

Second best SNES beat em up after Return of Double Dragon.

Top Bottom