• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

rog3r

Neo Member
So, I finally got round to uploading some pictures of my collection of games. There's nothing very impressive or ground-breaking here, but I thought I'd share anyway.

http://imgur.com/a/GoJOp

I have been mainly focusing on re-acquiring games I originally had when I was growing up. I do have a small list of titles that I would really like to add to my collection if I can find them reasonably priced -

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Super Punch Out
Super Castlevania 4
Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Super Metroid
Super Probotector

Alien 3 is on it's way to me. I'm excited to try this one as I always wanted this when it was released but have never actually played it

TheMoon

So, I finally got round to uploading some pictures of my collection of games. There's nothing very impressive or ground-breaking here, but I thought I'd share anyway.

http://imgur.com/a/GoJOp

I have been mainly focusing on re-acquiring games I originally had when I was growing up. I do have a small list of titles that I would really like to add to my collection if I can find them reasonably priced -

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Super Punch Out
Super Castlevania 4
Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Super Metroid
Super Probotector

Alien 3 is on it's way to me. I'm excited to try this one as I always wanted this when it was released but have never actually played it

wait what? DKC w/ "free CD inside" ?!?!?! pls explain!

rog3r

Neo Member
I actually have the CD from my original copy of DKC. I remember listening to it quite a bit back in the day. If only the modern Donkey Kong games came with the David Wise soundtrack on CD included...

Square2015

How can I play around with the Satelleview interface? I have the SNES SD2 and have been unsuccessful in getting it to work after downloading ROM and following a YouTube video walkthrough. The Satelleview "overworld" looks really neat, a bit like what the Wii had. I really want to play around with it using the translated patch.

I just picked up Super Mario All Stars with World.

It really does look so much better than the NES versions on my Trinitron and it's cool to have that unique Luigi sprite for SMW.

jbueno

Been eyeing getting into SFC collecting for a while, found this today locally for about $40 USD so I bit. Love the style over the SNES boxes.

tkYLOkT.jpg

No SFC to play this yet, though I´ve read it´s quite easy to mod your SNES to play SFC, apparently just get rid of two plastic tabs. Googled it, but just want to know if any of you guys have done that "mod"

Been eyeing getting into SFC collecting for a while, found this today locally for about $40 USD so I bit. Love the style over the SNES boxes.

No SFC to play this yet, though I´ve read it´s quite easy to mod your SNES to play SFC, apparently just get rid of two plastic tabs. Googled it, but just want to know if any of you guys have done that "mod"

Yes its piss easy, literally takes 2 minutes. I think most on this board have done it.

agree, super easy! did it as an uncoordinated kid growing up.

Just a heads up, Japanese super famicom RPGs on eBay are really great value. Full boxed near mint copies of CT can often be found for under $20 shipped. They are VERY plentiful, like sports games are here.

Yeah but isn't it worthless unless you know Japanese?

Depends on the game. I've played CT like 15 times so it's easy.

But generally the JP versions are all about the box art (and relatively neat condition).

I'm more likely to play CT, FF6 (as in ff3), and the other ridiculously expensive English snes games (~$75+) on Wii virtual console. And then collect the far better priced and better looking JP version cart and box.

Depends on the game. I've played CT like 15 times so it's easy.

But generally the JP versions are all about the box art (and relatively neat condition).

I'm more likely to play CT, FF6 (as in ff3), and the other ridiculously expensive English snes games (~$75+) on Wii virtual console. And then collect the far better priced and better looking JP version cart and box.

Someone made a list of Saturn games playable without knowledge of Japanese. If someone did that for SFC that would be sweet.

Just a heads up, Japanese super famicom RPGs on eBay are really great value. Full boxed near mint copies of CT can often be found for under $20 shipped. They are VERY plentiful, like sports games are here.
Yeah it's crazy, theres a CIB Chrono on ebay right now for $10. Can you imagine what it would be like if we had those prices?

jbueno

Thanks buddy, do know that JRPGs on SFC can be had for pretty cheap, this was more of an impulse buy since the game usually goes for a lot more here in Mexico, that and shipping over from Japan to Mexico more often than not we get hit with ridiculous customs fees, so I think I got an OK deal.

Anyways thanks fellows for the advice, finally got it working. I do know some basic Japanese and have played games and even a couple of RPGs entirely in Japanese before, so I feel playing classic JRPGs on the system can be a formative experience.

My poor old yellow SNES, won´t ever get rid of it since it´s been with me since December 1992.

Super EDF soundtrack is awesome and the SFC version is somehow better?

WawUu0n.jpg

awe yea!
i don't have both on hand, but the instrument samples differ so much
(at least IMO)
these tracks uploaded by the same user is evident enough.
i recommend using headphones and play through the entire track to capture all the nuances=)

Super E.D.F. "Sunlit Colony"
A) American

B) Japanese

Super E.D.F "Midnight Intercept" My favorite track (note the intro) i also linked the Jalco Arcade OST CD track for reference to compare which sounds closer to the original.
A) American

B) Japanese

C) CD track of arcade OST

alf717

Super easy to do. I took the console apart and used a Dremel to make everything nice and clean. Played my first Super Famicom game after the mod. Rockman & Forte.

Teknoman

awe yea!
i don't have both on hand, but the instrument samples differ so much
(at least IMO)
these tracks uploaded by the same user is evident enough.
i recommend using headphones and play through the entire track to capture all the nuances=)

Super E.D.F. "Sunlit Colony"
A) American

B) Japanese

Super E.D.F "Midnight Intercept" My favorite track (note the intro) i also linked the Jalco Arcade OST CD track for reference to compare which sounds closer to the original.
A) American

B) Japanese

C) CD track of arcade OST

Hmm I wonder what was with Jaleco NA releases getting such revisions. Hell, the third Rushing Beat game (Shura/Syura aka The Peacekeepers) had its soundtrack pretty much removed, and even special attacks changed for no reason.

Also yes, Midnight Intercept is the best track from EDF.

IrishNinja

damn, ya'll are savages with the sports games, haha

guess what came in ya'llllll

shit is so nice - loads slower than my other ED's, but fuckaSD2SNES price! plays fantastic, was just enjoying some Famicom Detective Club 2 fan translation. god i love feeling immune to the retro bubble, particularly the SNES scene right now, haha

Hmm I wonder what was with Jaleco NA releases getting such revisions. Hell, the third Rushing Beat game (Shura/Syura aka The Peacekeepers) had its soundtrack pretty much removed, and even special attacks changed for no reason.

Also yes, Midnight Intercept is the best track from EDF.

i also like to play name entry on a loop at times =D

Peagles

shit is so nice - loads slower than my other ED's, but fuckaSD2SNES price! plays fantastic, was just enjoying some Famicom Detective Club 2 fan translation. god i love feeling immune to the retro bubble, particularly the SNES scene right now, haha

Welcome to the club!

BTails

Aw yeah, I love my Everdrive. Having access to translated RPGs and other Japanese games (Love me some Clock Tower) is so nice. I'd recommend just trying some random Japanese action games, sometimes you find gems! I recently played through Ghost Sweeper Mikami and had a blast.

IrishNinja

yeah, Ghost Sweepwer is high on my recommended list! and Clock Tower, i played like 20 minutes and damn, savin this for one of my Halloween games this year for sure

looking forward to fan stuff like Oh No More Zombies or whatever that was! also Famicom Detective Club seems dope

IrishNinja

okay, so Oh No! More Zombies Ate My Neighbors ain't bad, just feels like someone fiddled with a level editor...seems like a few new things? will return to this one, ZAMN is one of my all-time faves (despite never being able to beat it, haha)

finally played Ghoul Patrol...maaan, this isn't bad, but it's a big step back. aesthetic isn't as nice, enemies take too many hits, i'd rather have the option of a mini-map than walking around till something yells at me, having to find the exit makes levels a bit more tedious, etc

NDPsycho

Anyone translated Bounty Sword yet?

Also thoughts on Final Fight 2 and / or 3?

I've heard people complain about slowdown in 3. It's never bothered me, but if you're sensitive to it, it might be an issue. I really liked 3. The option to play co-op with a cpu controlled partner was pretty cool in a snes game. I also really liked the branching paths, since it helps spice up play throughs some (shout out to peacekeepers too).

RexRogers

Neo Member
Also thoughts on Final Fight 2 and / or 3?

I never played 2, but I have 3 and it's a respectable advancement from the first game. The soundtrack is catchy and the graphics are the best of the series. I mean, you've got Haggar and you've got Guy, so that sells me right there. Like most brawlers, though, by the time you get to the end it gets repetitive with the enemy types. Still worth it.

IrishNinja

Where's the best place to get an SNES Everdrive and what configurations should I get for it to play most games?

i'd say right from the source, krikzz's shop - your call on DSP chip support or not (Mario Kart, Mario RPG etc), prolly don't need the USB module if you're not developing.

SD2SNES is much faster & supports a couple more games (and another sound mode that a few on here dig), but is more than double the cost, so it's your call! personally, the Super 2.0 works great for me

i'd say right from the source, krikzz's shop - your call on DSP chip support or not (Mario Kart, Mario RPG etc), prolly don't need the USB module if you're not developing.

SD2SNES is much faster & supports a couple more games (and another sound mode that a few on here dig), but is more than double the cost, so it's your call! personally, the Super 2.0 works great for me

Think I'm gonna pick one of these up for my SNES and N64.

Top Bottom