• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

i'd say right from the source, krikzz's shop - your call on DSP chip support or not (Mario Kart, Mario RPG etc), prolly don't need the USB module if you're not developing.

SD2SNES is much faster & supports a couple more games (and another sound mode that a few on here dig), but is more than double the cost, so it's your call! personally, the Super 2.0 works great for me
I'm pretty sure Mario RPG doesn't use the DSP chip, but rather the SA-1, another chip that neither Everdrive supports yet. (And when one of the two does, it'll almost certainly be the SD2SNES.)

neonglow

i'd say right from the source, krikzz's shop - your call on DSP chip support or not (Mario Kart, Mario RPG etc), prolly don't need the USB module if you're not developing.

SD2SNES is much faster & supports a couple more games (and another sound mode that a few on here dig), but is more than double the cost, so it's your call! personally, the Super 2.0 works great for me

Thanks for the info. Where did you get the US shell for the Everdrive. The ones on the site have the PAL/JP style shells.

IrishNinja

I'm pretty sure Mario RPG doesn't use the DSP chip, but rather the SA-1, another chip that neither Everdrive supports yet. (And when one of the two does, it'll almost certainly be the SD2SNES.)

ah, was it MMX i was thinking of? i always get em mixed up, since i own the carts

Thanks for the info. Where did you get the US shell for the Everdrive. The ones on the site have the PAL/JP style shells.

ah, some kind soul here on GAF donated an extra stoneagegamer SNES one - been using it since! i'll take a look around for others

it's a good call, i did just that late last year! SNES one gives you so many fan translations/etc, N64 recently saw playable DD ports too!

I'll pick one up after my next game ships, maybe as a present for myself lol.

So I missed out on both FF3(6) and Chrono Trigger as a kid. I was obsessed with JRPGs in the 90's, especially Square, but somehow never played these two games. I've owned SNES carts of them for like 4 years and haven't played them. Finally started Chrono Trigger tonight, and I am enjoying it so far. The way the battles play out is significantly beyond the average RPG of the time, this would have blown my mind as a kid.

IrishNinja

yeah, you're in for an absolute treat there, man!

SPOILERS: RPG's in the time since have often not matched the pacing/enjoyability of said battles

-KRS-

Yup it's the SA-1. But since the SA-1 is more complicated than the Super FX chip, and the SD2SNES still hasn't gotten SFX support yet after all this time, I wouldn't hope for SA-1 chip support anytime soon.

Peagles

Everything on that list is what you cannot play.

The only exception is you can play DSP games if you install a DSP chip into your Everdrive.

Everything else is a no go.

IrishNinja

Mega Man X2 & 3, Super Mario RPG, Star Fox, Star Ocean, Kirby Super Star/Dreamland 3, Yoshi's Island

a few of those, the SD2SNES can play - some, no one's playing without original carts (basically, the FX chip ones). there's other stuff on said list, but those are the big ones, i think.

across the whole library, that's not bad! of course, some of those may be among your favorites, so YMMV

I'm getting some conflict here, or rather I'm misinterpreting.

I want to get the Super Everdrive 2.0 with the DSP chip installed. What games can I not play WITH that chip installed?

-KRS-

so the only way I can play Star Fox 2 on a real SNES is with a repro cart? Is that what you're telling me?

So far yes. The SD2SNES will supposedly get Super FX support in the future, although that has still not happened yet after several years.

IrishNinja

You'll unlock Stunt Racer FX

For real though, at this point I wouldn't recommend counting on the SD2 for FX support...its still fantastic & could happen, but it's clearly not a priority for krikkz and given the short list of games, I think it's understandable

Chomposaur

Neo Member
Is there any benefit on owning a snes mini? Have the chips been improved to create less slowdown

I'm from the uk I'm a NTSC snes collector I heard something about it only does 1 tv input or something. Can any owners give me some advice before buy please. Thanks

Also going off topic. I bought a copy of Tetris 2 CIB And the box is very shiny almost glossy. It feels somewhat different to my other boxes, was this how it was made or do I dare say that it's a reproduction box? Does anybody else here have a copy of Tetris 2 CIB? Thanks

entremet

I actually really enjoyed Stunt Race FX a lot back in the day.

I'm sure it ages horribly now. It was like 8FPS lol.

But the music and art design was excellent. A 60FPS version would be awesome.

Cogwheels

Neo Member
Is there any benefit on owning a snes mini? Have the chips been improved to create less slowdown

I'm from the uk I'm a NTSC snes collector I heard something about it only does 1 tv input or something. Can any owners give me some advice before buy please. Thanks

Also going off topic. I bought a copy of Tetris 2 CIB And the box is very shiny almost glossy. It feels somewhat different to my other boxes, was this how it was made or do I dare say that it's a reproduction box? Does anybody else here have a copy of Tetris 2 CIB? Thanks

No performance improvement at all. You could argue it's worse as they have removed native RGB from the machine. You do get the benefit of playing games at 60hz and full screen though.

HOWEVER - if you get the Mini RGB modded, then you supposedly get one of the best RGB signals possible.

I opted for an RGB Mini as I wanted to get NTSC games and I can't stand the look of the US SNES. The picture is superb. The machine looks ok. It's quite light and feels a bit cheap.

No s-video without a complex mod is a downer. It only outputs composite.

That said, the composite picture is far more vibrant than my super famicom. (Then again, super famicom s-video > composite no matter what).

And a third point is that the super retro trio > super famicom/Nintendo s-video > snes mini

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Star Fox is such an amazing game as it is imo. But maybe I say that since I have the pal-version? Considering its probably slower, I guess it might run a bit better?

I'm having a tough time getting some SNES games I've bought recently to work. I've taken open the carts, used an eraser, alcohol and compressed air to carefully dry. Many games work half the time or not at all. Plenty of games fire up every time, though. I guess I try to clean the cart slot and see how that helps.

I don't recall SNES games being this finicky. Am I imagining this?

I'm having a tough time getting some SNES games I've bought recently to work. I've taken open the carts, used an eraser, alcohol and compressed air to carefully dry. Many games work half the time or not at all. Plenty of games fire up every time, though. I guess I try to clean the cart slot and see how that helps.

I don't recall SNES games being this finicky. Am I imagining this?

is it your system? slot pin connectors maybe worn and bent out of place

I actually have 2 consoles I've been using. Same issues with the same games on both consoles. All the pins look really clean to me. I might try a different AV cable and power cable to try and rule those out. It's just odd.

Hey Gaf i have a Snes1chip-03. Do i need to do any modifications for this to display rgb. I have a Csync scart cable and it works on my older snes, but when i try using it with my 1chip it doesnt display a picture.

RexRogers

Neo Member
Hey Gaf i have a Snes1chip-03. Do i need to do any modifications for this to display rgb. I have a Csync scart cable and it works on my older snes, but when i try using it with my 1chip it doesnt display a picture.
The 1CHIP-03 doesn't have c-sync. I'm not sure if it can be modified. The other 1CHIP models don't have that issue.

The 1Chip-03 handles sync in a different way than all other SNES models for some reason. You will need a different cable. Check out the My Life in Gaming RGB SNES episode on YT for the details. I can't recall if it's composite or luma.

My CRT dedicated to SNES is getting older, with the high-pitched whine becoming louder. It's already very heavy and unwieldy that I'm not sure if dumping it and getting a smaller CRT is a better idea, but it has an S-video port and I'd hate to get one without it.

What do you guys use for a TV to play your SNES games on? Every time I've attempted to play it on a regular HDTV I end up turning it off in disgust.

entremet

My CRT dedicated to SNES is getting older, with the high-pitched whine becoming louder. It's already very heavy and unwieldy that I'm not sure if dumping it and getting a smaller CRT is a better idea, but it has an S-video port and I'd hate to get one without it.

What do you guys use for a TV to play your SNES games on? Every time I've attempted to play it on a regular HDTV I end up turning it off in disgust.

There's a whole rabbit hole you can go into.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=630556

If you want to keep it cheap. Try looking online for people getting rid of old CRTs. Craigslist is a good place to find them. People are literally giving them away.

That's probably the cheapest idea for you. S-Video ports can be rare, though.

rog3r

Neo Member

Hi, I was having the same trouble a few months ago, but I bought this lead from retro_console_accessories on ebay (Super Nintendo PAL version RGB SCART lead SHIELDED GROUNDED cable cord SNES) and I can now play my unmodded PAL SNES on my HDTV - it looks great. They had the same cable available for NTSC consoles too at the time. I would highly recommend giving this option a try.

I've just checked on ebay and they don't seem to have anything for sale at the moment :(

I've definitely seen them mentioned on here before though. I think a few people have bought items

Timu

The 1CHIP-03 doesn't have c-sync. I'm not sure if it can be modified. The other 1CHIP models don't have that issue.

The 1Chip-03 handles sync in a different way than all other SNES models for some reason. You will need a different cable. Check out the My Life in Gaming RGB SNES episode on YT for the details. I can't recall if it's composite or luma.
I learned that the hard way...had to use composite video as sync to get it to work with a picture.

Rotanibor

I've been getting back into my Super Nintendo collection after realizing it was my favorite game system of all time. Because everything was just sitting there on my shelves getting dusty, I've decided to try and preserve my cartridges a bit better by cleaning them and putting them all in those clear SNES Cartridge Protector plastic boxes you can get from places like videogameboxprotectors. I've been working on this over the past couple days but I have few questions before moving on.

1) I've been cleaning the plastic on the cartridges themselves with a toothbrush and the 91% isopropyl alcohol I got to clean the contact points. Before I move on to clean the games actually worth money, is there any issue using this stuff on the plastic body? This method seems to work well enough with no downsides.

2) How should I clean off the labels? Some of the labels are pretty filthy. When testing on a cheap cart, I can see that the alcohol makes the laminate on the label bubble up which is obviously a problem lol. Thinking just a cloth slightly damp with water is what I should go for here.

3) Best way to get this torn sticker residue off of this very expensive game?
KgZPwOg.png

I had peeled this sticker off many years ago, and somehow cleaned it off the front of the cart but was too lazy at the time to fully clean it off the back. I see that I can use goo gone safely typically, but the residue is also on the back label itself, and the back label is partially torn, making me nervous to apply anything moist to that area since the back label is exposed below the glossy surface. Not sure how to get the remaining residue off of this spot without potentially damaging the back label further.

Thanks for any help! I'll post up my collection when I get everything cleaned up properly.

RexRogers

Neo Member
I've used a blow dryer on those really tough rental stickers before. First, I disassembled the game and took out the circuit board and then I dealt with the cart. Hit it with the heat for a minute and it'll soften the glue right up. Just take extreme care if those stickers overlap any cart labels that you want to preserve.

Quick update on my carts that weren't working. I cleaned the contacts on the games again for good measure. I really don't think they got clean enough the first time. Took out the PCBs and used an eraser as well as a soft cloth with 91 IPA (I used q-tips last time). But more important, I took the console apart and got a good look inside the connector slot. I was able to extract a large piece of lint and a huge hair or some kind. With that, it's now firing up every time.

BUT I now have another problem. Just as I was closing up the console and feeling good about my little refurb job, I somehow screwed one of the casing screws in at a slight angle. It didn't go all the way down but I also could not get it back out. When I applied some pressure to the screw in an attempt to catch the bit head onto it to twist it out, a piece of plastic broke inside. So now there's some little piece rattling around in there AND I can't get the screw out with the security bit. Any suggestions? It's tough to get down into that narrow hole. Would a pair of very long, thin needle nose pliers do the job?

3) Best way to get this torn sticker residue off of this very expensive game?

Another solution is to swap the back of the cart with one that's in good shape from a shit game, like a sports game or something. I do it all the time with NES carts. There is nothing special about the backs and no one would ever know the difference.

D.Lo

BUT I now have another problem. Just as I was closing up the console and feeling good about my little refurb job, I somehow screwed one of the casing screws in at a slight angle. It didn't go all the way down but I also could not get it back out. When I applied some pressure to the screw in an attempt to catch the bit head onto it to twist it out, a piece of plastic broke inside. So now there's some little piece rattling around in there AND I can't get the screw out with the security bit. Any suggestions? It's tough to get down into that narrow hole. Would a pair of very long, thin needle nose pliers do the job?
You've broken off the post the screw connects to on the other side of the case.

Take out all other screws, and the console should open fine. Then use pliers or whatever to hold the piece while you unscrew it from the broken post piece.

Ah, makes sense. I thought maybe I would not be able to open it all. Bummer that it broke but it should be fine with all the other screws in place. I'll be more careful next time....

EDIT: D.Lo was exactly right. Rattle gone.

Sorry to DP.

In looking inside a SNES console that will not power on, I see that there's a bit of brown discoloration around the 1.5V fuse. Is that an indication that it's likely blown? Seems the most likely culprit. I've tested the power cord on another SNES. I bought a cheap multimeter to test it but I think I went too cheap ... it doesn't seem to work on any setting.

eXistor

Might as well ask here. I have a US SNES that's hooked up with composite. My PAL SNES is hooked up with RGB obviously, but from what I know the US SNES doesn't support this, but it does support S-video. My TV only supports RGB and has no S-video input. I tried an old SCART adapter that also has S-video input, and I do get a sharp image, but no color. Is there any way to get color or am I stuck having to buy a new TV?

Top Bottom