• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

D.Lo

Been playing some Tiny Toons Adventure: Buster Bust Loose lately, and this game is way harder than I anticipated for a kids game. Was thinking that as a Konami-game, it had to be quality, but so far Im not feeling it. Any opinions on it here?
Yeah the first NES game is the best, followed by the Mega Drive game, then second NES. Solid Mario 3 style platformers.

SNES one is kind of clunky with the charge mechanic.

elmalloc

looks like he's taking a shit, lmao

At the Philadelphia or Atlanta zoo, I actually saw a "Tanuki". "Japanese Racoon Dog", basically it came right up to me and sat there, it definitely had the mannerisms of a dog. It was almost like take me away from here, save me!

elmalloc

Welcome. Enjoy!

Added a couple more games today! I actually never played EB. Super Tennis was one of my favorite games, thankfully it's worth dirt cheap nowadays.

24501485576_4d875e9b0c_b.jpg

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Yeah the first NES game is the best, followed by the Mega Drive game, then second NES. Solid Mario 3 style platformers.

SNES one is kind of clunky with the charge mechanic.

Hmm I didnt really like the Nes game either, somehow the controls never clicked with you. Remember liking the Mega Drive-game though.

Teknoman

So soundtrack people, anyone know what happened to Masanao Akahori, or if they composed anything other than Brainlord, Cybernator, Burning Heroes, and a few racing games? His style is pretty recognizable and unique once you hear it. Would be surprised if he just faded away.

D.Lo

Welcome. Enjoy!

Added a couple more games today! I actually never played EB. Super Tennis was one of my favorite games, thankfully it's worth dirt cheap nowadays.

24501485576_4d875e9b0c_b.jpg
I always wanted to try Super Tennis.

Back in the day I avoided most sports games because as a kid I wanted 'adventures' like Mario, Zelda, Wonder Boy etc, not just looking at a field. But years later I worked out I really liked some old school sports games. And Super Tennis is supposed to be one of the best I believe?

alf717

Back in the day I avoided most sports games because as a kid I wanted 'adventures' like Mario, Zelda, Wonder Boy etc, not just looking at a field. But years later I worked out I really liked some old school sports games. And Super Tennis is supposed to be one of the best I believe?

It is a really good game. Got it as a pack in title with my SNES way back in the day. My brother and I played this one a lot. He was way better at then me though. He really got into the circuit mode.

Been playing some Tiny Toons Adventure: Buster Bust Loose lately, and this game is way harder than I anticipated for a kids game. Was thinking that as a Konami-game, it had to be quality, but so far Im not feeling it. Any opinions on it here?

The football level still annoys me to this day... It just seemed so hard to actually avoid anything or see the enemies coming... I still enjoy the first couple of levels though, but I seldom play the game too much since I don't enjoy doing the football level all that much.

Morfeo

The football level still annoys me to this day... It just seemed so hard to actually avoid anything or see the enemies coming... I still enjoy the first couple of levels though, but I seldom play the game too much since I don't enjoy doing the football level all that much.

Yeah that level is a bitch. The western-themed level also need crazy timing (for the kind of games this is at least). The dashing mechanic and attack both seems kinda broken unfortunately.

-KRS-

I still don't like sports games but Super Tennis is legit fun.

elmalloc

It really is, and it's afforadble, $5-7 on ebay loose. What I'm noticing on my plasma though, are the lines of the court are having temporary burn-in on my plasma. I wouldn't care much but basically after every point, the court scrolls upward and I can see the white lines of the court burnt in - lol. It's a little annoying to watch!

Otherwise, the game is very fun, circuit mode. Ahead of their time with this game, I think.

FWIW, it's one of the few sports games I ever spent much time playing back in the day. Maybe it was because the SNES was new and we playing anything we could get our hands on, but I remember it being a solid game. I remember it actually got me to watch whatever the big tennis event happens in the summer that year (Wimbledon?). It's so cheap, I should pick it up for kicks.

Anth0ny

So I just got boxed, Super Famicom copies of Yoshi's Island, Super Mario RPG and Link to the Past for less than it would cost me to buy a loose copy of SNES Super Mario RPG.

The Super Famicom collecting life is the life for me, friends.

Grabbing those boxed games like

181c3dd532c320245ba984apw9.gif

Teknoman

Personally I think the original soundtrack is better...but does this open the door for "enhanced audio repro carts"?

EDIT: Neon Night Riders sound great no matter where you hear it though.

IrishNinja

So I just got boxed, Super Famicom copies of Yoshi's Island, Super Mario RPG and Link to the Past for less than it would cost me to buy a loose copy of SNES Super Mario RPG.

181c3dd532c320245ba984apw9.gif

haha! glad you're in on this before that scene shoots up horribly as well

RexRogers

Neo Member

If only I could read the game within them.

Morfeo

Was playing some more Tiny Toons tonight, typed in the password to get past that annoying western-themed dash-stage, which started me in the haunted mansion. Completed it, the american football-game, and the Star Wars-stage and got the credit really fast and actually felt kinda bummed about being finished, even though i didnt find the game particularly enjoyable, it just felt the ending was so abrupt. Then after the credits are finished it says "now try again on normal". Ok, seems my password was for easy, but what are the differences anyway? I search it up, and read that complete stages and all bosses are skipped if you dare to use password, what the fuck? I mean, I have no problems with games not having passwords or even continues if thats how the designer wanted it to be, but dont fucking tease me with a useless password. And I thought the Konami of old could do no wrong.

Anyways, this game kinda sucks, but I want to beat it anyways, so guess tomorrow evening goes down the train trying to do it all in one run (which shouldnt be so hard with some concentration).

hey guys, not sure where to put this but retro snes related:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles In Time Gets CD Quality Audio Hack

Someone needs to hack the arcade soundtrack into the SNES version. (Dunno what they'd do with Technodrome, though...)
Was playing some more Tiny Toons tonight, typed in the password to get past that annoying western-themed dash-stage, which started me in the haunted mansion. Completed it, the american football-game, and the Star Wars-stage and got the credit really fast and actually felt kinda bummed about being finished, even though i didnt find the game particularly enjoyable, it just felt the ending was so abrupt. Then after the credits are finished it says "now try again on normal". Ok, seems my password was for easy, but what are the differences anyway? I search it up, and read that complete stages and all bosses are skipped if you dare to use password, what the fuck? I mean, I have no problems with games not having passwords or even continues if thats how the designer wanted it to be, but dont fucking tease me with a useless password. And I thought the Konami of old could do no wrong.

Anyways, this game kinda sucks, but I want to beat it anyways, so guess tomorrow evening goes down the train trying to do it all in one run (which shouldnt be so hard with some concentration).

Capcom's Bonkers is pretty much a more mechanically solid take on what Buster Busts Loose attempts to aim for with it's dash mechanic. Hella catchy upbeat, jazzy soundtrack, too.

But yeah, like D.Lo said, the NES games and Buster's Hidden Treasure are the better games, even though the latter gets unforgiving in the later stages.

TheMoon

I don't like that at all.

I hate when remixes try to add their own flair to a song and change it so much that it barely resembles the original.

A good remix just needs to be the same song with better instruments.

That is by definition not a remix then but a simple remake or reorchestration. Remix implies change.

elmalloc

If they had MiniBosses do the music it would have been a lot more awesome. Overclocked Remix sounds like something I could do after a year practice on the Guitar.

OK, time to jump into SNES RGB. I am going SCART, rather than JP21. I will be using it primarily with a JVC pro CRT monitor, along with a separate 2-channel sound system consisting of a small amp and some bookshelf speakers. I also want to be able to use it with either a Framemiester or a SCART-to-component converter on my big plasma TV at times, but that will come later.

I know I need an RGB cable with c-sync based on the model console I have. But I am trying to determine if I need a cable that breaks out the audio "upstream" like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Ninte...-cable-cord-/161733968058?hash=item25a81880ba

Or get a SCART cable with audio built in and use the BNC cable, Framemiester or component converter to break out the audio "downstream", depending on which setup I'm using.

Any advice here? I've been in this thread forever but being new to these types of setups I just want to make doubly sure I am getting the right items.

That is by definition not a remix then but a simple remake or reorchestration. Remix implies change.

Using different instruments or hardware is a change in itself as long as the song isn't the original recording it can be considered a remix.

The terms really are interchangeable, but all of this is really beside the point.

Peagles

OK, time to jump into SNES RGB. I am going SCART, rather than JP21. I will be using it primarily with a JVC pro CRT monitor, along with a separate 2-channel sound system consisting of a small amp and some bookshelf speakers. I also want to be able to use it with either a Framemiester or a SCART-to-component converter on my big plasma TV at times, but that will come later.

I know I need an RGB cable with c-sync based on the model console I have. But I am trying to determine if I need a cable that breaks out the audio "upstream" like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Ninte...-cable-cord-/161733968058?hash=item25a81880ba

Or get a SCART cable with audio built in and use the BNC cable, Framemiester or component converter to break out the audio "downstream", depending on which setup I'm using.

Any advice here? I've been in this thread forever but being new to these types of setups I just want to make doubly sure I am getting the right items.

Either way is fine but I'd personally breakout the audio further down the track. It's just easier as you add more systems and regular RGB cables are so much easier to find. If you're only gonna stick to SNES it probably doesn't matter but most people end up adding more consoles as they get more into RGB.

Either way is fine but I'd personally breakout the audio further down the track. It's just easier as you add more systems and regular RGB cables are so much easier to find. If you're only gonna stick to SNES it probably doesn't matter but most people end up adding more consoles as they get more into RGB.

Thanks, that does make sense. I am definitely going to be adding more systems, including a Genesis right away since it only requires a cable, too. NES or Famicom will follow, but I need to figure which I will get modded.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I'm checking out a JVC monitor tomorrow in hopes it'll be my new retro gaming CRT, and I've decided to bring along my SNES with Super Mario World as a testing unit.

It's been a few years since I've played my SNES, so I figured I'd test it out on one of the existing TVs in the house to make sure everything is working before I bring it along. Everything seems to be okay....

...but man after looking at my shelf of SNES carts it was rather bare. I've only got something like eight of the damn things. I remember having much more for some reason.

Have second-hand carts gotten stupid expensive lately? I'm not looking for rare stuff like Chromo Trigger or Megaman X3, maybe more common stuff like Super Mario Kart and A Link to the Past.

Furthermore, does NeoGAF have an active trading group? I'd love to trade a few N64, GBA, or Dreamcast titles off for some SNES ones.

I'm checking out a JVC monitor tomorrow in hopes it'll be my new retro gaming CRT, and I've decided to bring along my SNES with Super Mario World as a testing unit.

It's been a few years since I've played my SNES, so I figured I'd test it out on one of the existing TVs in the house to make sure everything is working before I bring it along. Everything seems to be okay....

...but man after looking at my shelf of SNES carts it was rather bare. I've only got something like eight of the damn things. I remember having much more for some reason.

Have second-hand carts gotten stupid expensive lately? I'm not looking for rare stuff like Chromo Trigger or Megaman X3, maybe more common stuff like Super Mario Kart and A Link to the Past.

Furthermore, does NeoGAF have an active trading group? I'd love to trade a few N64, GBA, or Dreamcast titles off for some SNES ones.

I'm in, looking for some n64 games and looking to unload a handful of snes games (Mana 2 repro made in Canada, Tetris 2, Tetris battle gaiden)

No Star Fox and Yoshi's Island?. All of the Super Star Wars games need to be in your life too.

Yoshi's Island is on there.

I don't have Star Fox because one time I bought a copy and it wasn't actually Star Fox on the cart, someone had replaced the chip with another game and I returned it. Will eventually get that one, but looking for a big ticket item for bday. Star Fox is usually pretty cheap.

Wow, that looks awesome, I probably have enough controllers to do it too!

Same here, if you count my ASCII controllers anyway. My only worry is that the SNES buttons are individually keyed differently so they can't be swapped in different positions unless you clip off the little tabs. I'd almost prefer buying aftermakert buttons and using those. I know I've seen buttons in all types of colors for Game Boy mods. I wonder if they're available for SNES too.

Top Bottom