• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

RexRogers

Neo Member
Is that rare?=O
Well, if you're trying to find one it seems like it's very hard to do. 1CHIP consoles provide the sharpest video output, but can cause tiny graphical glitches in a handful of games. If the seller knows what they have they usually sell for $90-$100 on eBay.

Timu

Well, if you're trying to find one it seems like it's very hard to do. 1CHIP consoles provide the sharpest video output, but can cause tiny graphical glitches in a handful of games. If the seller knows what they have they usually sell for $90-$100 on eBay.
I got mine for 50 a few years ago...guess I'm lucky.

IrishNinja

does anyone have any experience with the nanitek Game Saver Plus? i hear that's the better one, and a dude on amazon said they work fine with everdrives, just wondering what the details are...one review says it eats batteries, but if you use the SNES' power for it, it might affect video quality? wondering how much truth there is to this, figured it might be a decent workaround to the aforementioned lack of save states said everdrive has.

I just got one. Bought the SNES, a PS2 slim in box, a Super Game Boy, Metroid 2, Super Mario World and a half dozen PS2 games for $80 from CL. Of course the owner had no idea it's a 1Chip SNES.

Teknoman

Anything about mine?

UN 16446396

Its not my original SNES from long ago, but just thinking if I should keep an eye out for a better one.

RexRogers

Neo Member
Anything about mine?

UN 16446396

Its not my original SNES from long ago, but just thinking if I should keep an eye out for a better one.
It's a very high number SHVC model, the original hardware revision for the SNES. Personally, I like to use this revision as my default console to game on, because when comparing to some later revisions the original just seems to be slightly better in my eyes. There's a smoothness to the picture that I find appealing and the color and contrast just seem to be better. The 1CHIP is sharpest for sure and the SHVC comes in second in that regard, but there are the small glitches when gaming on the 1CHIP.

The revisions in between the SHVC and the 1CHIP are regressive IMO.

elmalloc

The SNES Mini is guaranteed to have a 1 chip.
Revision 3 of the 1 chip is the best of the Fat SNES.

The SNES Mini needs a mod to output RGB and enable CSync. The SNES Mini supposedly has slightly better video output, so if you'ore looking for the best, it's there. the 1chip 03 is not far behind.

TheMoon

Which Power Rangers game is the good one? Isn't it the one based on the movie?

They're both "good." The one you want to avoid is Fighting Edition, which is just a barebones fighter that won't give you anything outside of sheer fan dreams being fulfilled since you can have the Ninja Megazord fight the Shogun Megazord.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Anybody played Kendo Rage? Looks promising enough from photos, but never heard anybody talk about it before.

RexRogers

Neo Member
I'm looking for an US version of Mario RPG, are the eBay ones usually repros or should I look for safer places?
Mario RPG is pretty common and I don't think the going price lends itself to having repros being made. It's not an Earthbound or Aero Fighters. In other words, I wouldn't worry about that. I'd say that if you get it for less than $45 on eBay that it would be an OK deal.

I'm all finished with Illusion of Gaia. I'm not one to hang onto RPGs so feel free to message me if anyone is interested in it. Probably looking for $25 shipped.

Now onto a hard mode finish of contra 3.

D.Lo

Been playing some more Dracula X and man this game is hard in the end. Anybody ever managed to beat it?
Which part? Last level can be cheap unless you have perfect timing for medusa whipping, but Drac isn't that hard. Especially on the first life if you have heaps of hearts for axes.

Rydeen

Anybody played Kendo Rage? Looks promising enough from photos, but never heard anybody talk about it before.

It plays a lot like the Valis games, but the joy is in the wacky / completely inaccurate translation for the cut scenes and story. Has a really solid 90's anime look to the whole thing.

Is DQ5 worth playing with the fan translation, or should I just stick with the DS version? Honestly, I'd prefer playing this on a console and CRT, but if the DS version better paced or something, I'll relent.

elmalloc

DQ5 worth playing with the fan translation, so should I just stick with the DS version? Honestly, I'd prefer playing this on a console and CRT, but if the DS version better paced or something, I'll relent.

To piggy back on that, are any of the fan translation games worth playing?

FF4J-->U, FF5, FF6J-->U. Do they use the existing English game language/lines if they can (FF4/FF6)?

Is DQ5 worth playing with the fan translation, or should I just stick with the DS version? Honestly, I'd prefer playing this on a console and CRT, but if the DS version better paced or something, I'll relent.

The DS version is faster, you walk faster & the battles go faster + you get an extra party member. Also the difficulty was tweaked down so it's easier in general. I don't know if it's "better" paced but stuff definitely moves along quicker and the difficulty balance feels right.

I think the SNES version is worth playing if you like DQ games. The pixel-art is very charming; it looks like an NES game with way more color. I prefer the DS version to it (and to the PS2 version) but it's fun to play that game in it's original experience. The fan translation is fine, it's done in the older style so item names and spell names are different with no puns or accents. I think it's not super literal and fairly well handled but I'm not too picky about translation style.

thomasos

Picked up a couple of really nice SNES games this month.

hOWckVz.jpg

Both games are a lot of fun. I'm no expert when it comes to shooters, but I don't really understand why Darius Twin gets a bad rap. It seems rock solid. Pocky & Rocky 2 is incredibly silly (in a good way), looks nice, and controls really well. Does anyone know how its predecessor stacks up by comparison?

Morfeo

Which part? Last level can be cheap unless you have perfect timing for medusa whipping, but Drac isn't that hard. Especially on the first life if you have heaps of hearts for axes.

I was actually mostly thinking about level 6, those Clock Tower-blimbs and that motherfucker Death at the end, was really testing my patience, but managed to beat it today. I also had a love/hate relationship with that extra life at the end of the level. When I discovered it I was like "hey even the designers admit this level is too tough, giving me a way to stay here untill i beat it. Then I quickly died and found out the extra life is the only item in the game that doesnt respawn lol. Why did I ever get my hopes up for that.

Anyways, now Im onto the last level, and you are right, it wasnt that hard, and I managed to beat the level itself on my first try. The boss also seems quite easy, although I still havent beaten the first form (im sure the second will be way harder). But yeah, decent but a bit boring game with so much wasted potential.

Edit: Just beat it. That final boss was nowhere near as hard as its reputation, even though it was a test of patience. In the end I could beat the first form without taking damage at all, and even the second form was quite easy (beat it on my fifth try). Anyways, guess I need to check out the version of Carmilla in this game. Pretty stupid that Shaft is nowhere to be seen.

Edit 2: What a disappointment that Carmilla was, beaten on first try. Guess I can let the game back on the shelf now:

Teknoman

Just bought Violinist of Hamlin from Half Price Books. Smart decision?
Couldn't check any videos since the store seems to have an effect on my signal, but I remember hearing the name early in this thread.

Morfeo

Just bought Violinist of Hamlin from Half Price Books. Smart decision?
Couldn't check any videos since the store seems to have an effect on my signal, but I remember hearing the name early in this thread.

I own it, but havent got around to it yet. Looks great though.

Well not only is the SNES I bought not a 1Chip but it doesn't even power on. That's on me because I never even double checked that the guy had tested it. Guess I might take my first shot at some basic console repair. I know it's not the AC adaptor so it might be a blown fuse.

Teknoman

I own it, but havent got around to it yet. Looks great though.

Yes, fantastic game.

Cool, it was tucked in the corner of the cabinet (complete no less) so either no one else knew what it was, or didnt care lol. Also saw a 100 dollar .hack vol 4, but aint no body got time for that :p

Also back on the subject of Contra 3 hard mode...I think im just gonna run through it normal and enjoy myself. I mean it seems like certain things that were destructible (jumping debris, turtle parts) are invulnerable now...and that makes no sense. Is it like that in the EU version too? Contra, Super C, Hard Corps, and every thing in between didnt really need a hard mode to be a true challenge...

HaL64

Cool, it was tucked in the corner of the cabinet (complete no less) so either no one else knew what it was, or didnt care lol. Also saw a 100 dollar .hack vol 4, but aint no body got time for that :p

Also back on the subject of Contra 3 hard mode...I think im just gonna run through it normal and enjoy myself. I mean it seems like certain things that were destructible (jumping debris, turtle parts) are invulnerable now...and that makes no sense. Is it like that in the EU version too? Contra, Super C, Hard Corps, and every thing in between didnt really need a hard mode to be a true challenge...

I find the game pretty freaking challenging as it is on the default difficulty. :p

Timu

Japanese version gives you an ending on Normal.

I find the game pretty freaking challenging as it is on the default difficulty. :p
It's...not that bad.

Morfeo

Played it a bit tonight, seems creative but a bit slow for my taste. Also seems to have some rpg-mechanics, which I always like in my plattformers!

Anyways, I just suck hard at beat em ups, tried to play some Batman Returns, and Im just loosing lives all over, taking damage at almost all encounters. Only played for one continue, but was only able to get to the second boss. Guess I need to get guud right? Liked the grapple gun though, even though it was hard to control.

elmalloc

Bitboxed a few more.

24384584542_8d3faac758_b.jpg

Played some Zelda LTTP, StarFox, and Mystical Ninja. Quickly one can realize the SNES had a superior audio chip by Sony. These may have been the musical glory days, followed by some redbook audio in the CD genre which seems more like cheating comparatively.

Teknoman

Japanese version gives you an ending on Normal.

It's...not that bad.

Yeah the standard seems to be a fair but challenging difficulty. Its my original copy from back in the day, and US Konami games had amazing cover art for SNES so Im gonna stick with it. Its still crazy how rentals made devs / publishers boost difficulty >_>

Played it a bit tonight, seems creative but a bit slow for my taste. Also seems to have some rpg-mechanics, which I always like in my plattformers.

Yeah its definitely a slower paced game (messed around with it abit to test), but gets decently challenging by stage 1-3 or so? The part where you get in the underground cave. I still cant get over the fact that you throw your partner all over as a weapon lol. Music is pretty nice too.

EDIT: I like early SNES music alot. Just has a specific style to it that never seemed to pick back up later in its life (not that later games were bad or anything). Did the composers of Mario Kart or Pilotwings do anything else for the system?

Morfeo

EDIT: I like early SNES music alot. Just has a specific style to it that never seemed to pick back up later in its life (not that later games were bad or anything). Did the composers of Mario Kart or Pilotwings do anything else for the system?

LOVE the soundtrack of launch games Pilotwings and F-Zero!

eXistor

Do you guys think a Retron 5 is worth buying if I want to pick up some Super Famicom games and patch them into English?

I like that I can actually purchase the cartridge and play it on my TV, with a SNES controller, in English. Comes close to the real experience without having to pay out the ass for a repro cart.

It has issues (terrible build quality, has issues reading the carts), but overall I do think it's a nifty little thing especially for the reason you want toi use it. I recently found a Fire Emblem for snes for a buck and I can just use a translation patch to play it. There is definitely lag though, but for rpg's and such it's mostly not an issue.

FSLink

Banned
Do you guys think a Retron 5 is worth buying if I want to pick up some Super Famicom games and patch them into English?

I like that I can actually purchase the cartridge and play it on my TV, with a SNES controller, in English. Comes close to the real experience without having to pay out the ass for a repro cart.

Just go with the Retro Freak instead since that also supports TG-16 games.

Morfeo

Been playing some Tiny Toons Adventure: Buster Bust Loose lately, and this game is way harder than I anticipated for a kids game. Was thinking that as a Konami-game, it had to be quality, but so far Im not feeling it. Any opinions on it here?

Top Bottom