• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Nah, that's overkill for most carts. Generally speaking, all you'll need is some rubbing alcohol (the higher the percentage, the better - less water) and a Q-Tip - douse the Q-Tip in the alcohol, apply the Q-Tip to the contacts of the cart. Repeat until you're no longer finding the Q-Tip's turned gray or brown where you applied it to the contacts. Give the cart's contacts some time to dry off before using it.

If that doesn't work, though, then break out the gamebit and open 'er up for some pencil erasin'.

NDPsycho

Nah, that's overkill for most carts. Generally speaking, all you'll need is some rubbing alcohol (the higher the percentage, the better - less water) and a Q-Tip - douse the Q-Tip in the alcohol, apply the Q-Tip to the contacts of the cart. Repeat until you're no longer finding the Q-Tip's turned gray or brown where you applied it to the contacts. Give the cart's contacts some time to dry off before using it.

If that doesn't work, though, then break out the gamebit and open 'er up for some pencil erasin'.

People have different ideas of clean :) and yes...slow work day when I'm debating what clean is...

First off, good luck. It's a hell of an undertaking even cart only. Some of those will set you back a bit, but it feels awesome to relive you childhood (personally speaking).

Just had to recommend getting this one on Genesis though. Plays so much better....

Yeah, the cost of games on classic Nintendo platforms specifically has jumped up in price dramatically in recent years and I grew up a Nintendo kid. Unfortunately, the only Nintendo platform I kept from my childhood was my virtual boy. I was able to get most of the N64 stuff I wanted before the prices of those games starting ramping up.

SKINNER!

Banned
Today I learned that second hand official SNES controllers are quite the commodity. I can barely find any under £15 :O

Thank goodness that the console only has 2 ports and that I don't have much interest in picking up a multi-tab....unless GAF knows any decent multi-tap supported games that's not Bomberman?

Today I learned that second hand official SNES controllers are quite the commodity. I can barely find any under £15 :O

Thank goodness that the console only has 2 ports and that I don't have much interest in picking up a multi-tab....unless GAF knows any decent multi-tap supported games that's not Bomberman?

Rock and Roll Racing

You can get SFC controllers for dirt cheap if you're ok with a bit of... dirt. Even clean they're really cheap.

Puyo Puyo Tsu Remix does as well, but the list is very very short.

AmyS

-- Arcade Thunder Force AC - Super Famicom | SNES Thunder Spirits --

Ajmu3NX.jpg

6wh9c9m.jpg

some interesting information about the hardware (especially the color specifications) which was not a stock MD/Genesis.

source for the info -- source for board pictures (cut & pasted)

mXsW4RB.jpg

0IkywYh.jpg

RBIRoet.jpg

MQj5tqF.jpg

Edit:

Here's an early look at Axelay.

I haven't played it in years, can anyone tell me how this differs (if at all) from the released version?

Doesn't look different to me.

Okay, lets try this again, this time with more previews to look at.

278SVtP.jpg

rGXRvvn.jpg

16P0Equ.jpg

regardless, I love how this game looks.

y6rIcj8.gif

What SNES/SFC shmups do you guys think really stand out? A lot of the games seem like they might be found elsewhere better (or, have relatively weak entries on the snes).

IrishNinja

What SNES/SFC shmups do you guys think really stand out? A lot of the games seem like they might be found elsewhere better (or, have relatively weak entries on the snes).

i tend to agree, but R-Type III and Space Megaforce stand out

Raiden Trad, UN Squadron, Earth Defense Force, Super R-Type etc aren't bad, they just kinda get trounced by the gen/PCE offerings in the genre that gen

I admit I'm not a huge fan of the R-type franchise. I'd like to include at least 1 shmup in my collection, though.

Thoughts on the parodius titles, Axelay (already mentioned on this page, even), and darius twin?
Seems like Darius Twin is weaker than Gaiden and G by pretty much every account I can find. Guess I'll pass on that one.

Teknoman

Super R-Type (R-type 2 remixed?) has a really cool soundtrack even though its got slowdown.

EDIT: Phalanx and Pop'n Twinbee are good imo.

Is the DBZ RPG any good? I know the DS game by Monolithsoft is great stuff, but i've always wanted to know about the SNES game since the import catalog days. Same for DBZ 2D fighters.

IrishNinja

Axelay looks (and sounds) better than it plays, for me

Ive got one of the Parodious games, it's the one CGR reviewed and it's pretty fun too..havent played any of the SFC twinbee games yet though

D.Lo

Axelay looks (and sounds) better than it plays, for me
The overhead stages aren't the best, but the side scrolling stages are very solid old-school shooter.

And it's like in the top five best looking and sounding games of the generation so that gets it pretty far for me ;)

IrishNinja

yeah, space megaforce escaped me, one of ya'll said even the import on r-type III got up there...honestly, i'm not pursuing SHMUPs on this or any other scene if i don't currently have em, that entire genre feels like it's spiked

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Axelay looks so good, and is worth it just for that imo. And Phalanx is worth owning for the cover art alone :) But as for quality, nothing comes close to Space Megaforce imo, but i think UN Squadron is a great, and slightly underrated shooter in its own right. At least based on the few mentions above.

I like R-Type III a lot but it's an acquired taste (certainly feels more memorization-dependent than other shooting games) and there's A LOT of slowdown in it. It's also really difficult.
I never got into Axelay before but I'm willing to give it another chance.

Truthfully the SNES was lacking in this genre compared to its contemporaries.

NDPsycho

My favorites are Axelay, Space Megaforce and SFC Macross. Glad to have bought them for less than they currently go for. Axelay looks the most impressive, but having grown up loving the bastardized Frankenstein that was Robotech, I really like playing Macross.

Thanks, folks. I've got a few on my radar now that seem like they'd suite my tastes. Just gotta hope for a deal now lol.
yeah, space megaforce escaped me, one of ya'll said even the import on r-type III got up there...honestly, i'm not pursuing SHMUPs on this or any other scene if i don't currently have em, that entire genre feels like it's spiked
Yeah, I blame the genre still having relevance in JP, honestly.
I like R-Type III a lot but it's an acquired taste (certainly feels more memorization-dependent than other shooting games) and there's A LOT of slowdown in it. It's also really difficult.
I never got into Axelay before but I'm willing to give it another chance.

Truthfully the SNES was lacking in this genre compared to its contemporaries.
I do wish more shmups had a focus on reaction and quick thinking, rather than memorization and preparation.

D.Lo

Basically the Super Fami has less good shooters because it was the the vanguard of game design change, which was moving away from 80s style arcade games. It also had a weak CPU but that could have been dealt with if the market was there.

PCE/Mega Drive were old paradigm consoles released to challenge the Famicom, all about arcade ports etc. But the Super Fami, despite completely dominating them in sales, was pushing in a new direction. Nintendo (who had by then abandoned arcades for almost a decade) and other industry leaders like Squaresoft and Enix were pulling the industry away from its arcade roots with longer-form games like RPGs and adventures (Zelda, Metroid, Dragon Quest – even Mario had save features and became more of an exploring adventure game).

PCE and Mega Drive came out 2/3 years before the SF, and after its dominance were stuck in hardcore niches, but at least in the former's case had a dedicated audience willing to buy those hardcore games, so it/they kept getting them, even as a #2 system. Saturn became the PCE/MD successor, hence the next shooter console of choice (PS1 isn't bad either though).

Even arcades in that era kind of moved on and became more social - the dominant games were two+ players (fighters, beat em ups, light gun, multi-cab-racing, and later rhythm games).

What's kind of annoying is that shooters never 'matured' like platformers did, into a wider, richer genre. Platformers broke out into hardcore old school ones, newbie-friendly ones, kids ones, adult ones, adventure-y ones, more actiony ones, more platformer-y ones, and eventually many flavours of 3D.

Where is the Gradius equivalent of Mario World? Secret exits, themed multi-part world maps, non-linear progression etc? With a few minor exceptions, it never happened, we just got 'more hardcore' mostly. Even the cute-em-ups were hardcore.

Might just have been that space stuff was falling out of fashion? Just circumstance (aka they were slightly harder to make on the dominant SF platform, so stayed on PCE/MD/SS and therefore only played to their niche audience)?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
What's kind of annoying is that shooters never 'matured' like platformers did, into a wider, richer genre. Platformers broke out into hardcore old school ones, newbie-friendly ones, kids ones, adult ones, adventure-y ones, more actiony ones, more platformer-y ones, and eventually many flavours of 3D.

Where is the Gradius equivalent of Mario World? Secret exits, themed multi-part world maps, non-linear progression etc? With a few minor exceptions, it never happened, we just got 'more hardcore' mostly. Even the cute-em-ups were hardcore.

Might just have been that space stuff was falling out of fashion? Just circumstance (aka they were slightly harder to make on the dominant SF platform, so stayed on PCE/MD/SS and therefore only played to their niche audience)?

I remember there was an exchange on Retronauts where (I think) Jeremy Parish and Ray Bardholdt were talking about Gradius Gaiden, and Parish called it "The Symphony of the Night of Gradius". And he was right in terms of what he meant: a big revival of an old 2D franchise with CD-quality music and detailed sprites, released relatively early in the PS1 life cycle. It is kind of a sister game to SOTN in that way.

But of course that sparked the idea.... man, what if there really were a shmup Metroidvania, with freedom of exploration, RPG stat development, etc.... Why didn't that happen?

Now there's an indie game concept for someone to pursue....

Cheerilee

I remember there was an exchange on Retronauts where (I think) Jeremy Parish and Ray Bardholdt were talking about Gradius Gaiden, and Parish called it "The Symphony of the Night of Gradius". And he was right in terms of what he meant: a big revival of an old 2D franchise with CD-quality music and detailed sprites, released relatively early in the PS1 life cycle. It is kind of a sister game to SOTN in that way.

But of course that sparked the idea.... man, what if there really were a shmup Metroidvania, with freedom of exploration, RPG stat development, etc.... Why didn't that happen?

Now there's an indie game concept for someone to pursue....

I just remembered, Wayforward's "Sigma Star Saga" on the GameBoy Advance was a shooter/RPG hybrid.

D.Lo

I don't think it would have been exactly the same sub-genres as platformers, but platformers clearly spread out in design, while shooters mostly stayed 'Level 1, boss, Level 2, boss, Level 3, boss...'

If Mario stayed that way, it would have been like the 2D part of the series went straight from SMB1 to the NSMB games.

That makes sense as a comment like that about it being the next gen debut of a series (albeit a much more dormant one). But really GG was also just Gradius 5, it was just the next Gradius with 3D graphics.

Symphony of the Night is a very weird game with no real comparisons IMO. While it was the first next-generation CV/Dracula game, with the extra animation etc that could come with that, it completely changed the genre of a long running series. It stole another game's template whole, and also added in a bunch of fiddly RPG stuff that was also non-native to the Dracula series (mostly, obviously there's CV2). And then rather then being an anomaly (like the Castlevania fighting game) it ended up completely taking over as the template for the 2D games in the series going forward! Crazy.

And we have never gotten another real 2D action-platformer Dracula/CV game ever again (apart from the budget remake Drac X on PSP and the Wiiware download game, and technically Legends, though it was already in development at Symphony's release).

Really 2D Dracula/CV died on 16-bit, and a branded spin-off took its place as the main thing. Like Puyo I guess.

</off topic rant> ;)

continuing my journey...

I ordered a copy of Super Metroid. Will be diving in once it arrives, at which point I'll probably be done with my 100% playthroughs of lttp and Yoshi's Island.

On another note similar to my questions about shmups what Dungeon Crawlers do you all recommend? Anything from top down to SMT works for me. I'm thinking Brandish and maybe one of the SMT or Wizardry titles.
should mention that I know no japanese. I do alright with menus and can memorize spell effects and such, but it's something to note.

Teknoman

US version is cheap I believe.

He got EDF for SFC for OST (lol) purposes.

Just to clarify, I mean R-Type 3 SFC version. Its not THAT much cheaper, but 40-60 bucks depending (and better cover art) sure as hell beats the NA version.

EDIT: Dungeon crawlers: Arcana and Brainlord North America versions...Alcahest needs translating but I think it counts (both Arcana and Alcahest are HAL labs games with soundtrack by Jun Ishikawa)? Lagoon is sorta Ys'ish.

IrishNinja

haha! i guess i am...i rented Illusion of Gaia in the day & wanna say i got stuck on the last boss or so? i had no idea they were a series back then, just jumped on anything RPG-ish...Terra, i got a good deal on a repro years back & had heard about it for years.

finally got a copy of Soul Blazer a while back as well, but i forget if it had battery problems or something? but yeah, you're right, kinda backwards!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I bought the german version of Terranigma a few years ago, thought it would be a decent opportunity to practice the language (also played Crusader of Centy in german a few years ago), but yeah, ended up never even starting it. Maybe time for that this summer!

Top Bottom