• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Just do what I did and tear out the 7805 in your SNES and rewire stuff to take 5V direct. Then you can just use any USB power supply, preferably one from Apple or Sony that doesn't had mad variance in voltage, and your systems will put out basically no heat.

Super Mario Kart projected on the ice last night at the Lightning game

bexdfism1o1tx7o1nzlo.png

Video at the link

Chomposaur

Neo Member
Just a quick question. I was watching the game chasers last night and billy was showing his gaming room and he mentioned a display case that had LED lights that won't fade the boxes

What did he mean by this? So lightbulbs emit UV rays or something that cause the boxes to fade away over time? I hate seeing games that have sun damage on them and I would hate it even more if my games turned out that way.

How can I stop this from happening? I don't have direct sublight shining on my games but now I have just learned that a lightbulb can cause this too.

All of my CIB games are in box protectors too And I'm just using a simple Philips "genie" energy saving 14w bulb that is on the ceiling in my room.

Thanks

NDPsycho

Just a quick question. I was watching the game chasers last night and billy was showing his gaming room and he mentioned a display case that had LED lights that won't fade the boxes

What did he mean by this? So lightbulbs emit UV rays or something that cause the boxes to fade away over time? I hate seeing games that have sun damage on them and I would hate it even more if my games turned out that way.

How can I stop this from happening? I don't have direct sublight shining on my games but now I have just learned that a lightbulb can cause this too.

All of my CIB games are in box protectors too And I'm just using a simple Philips "genie" energy saving 14w bulb that is on the ceiling in my room.

Thanks

Sounds like you pretty much covered it all. Just buy some LED bulbs for any lights shining on your boxes. They cost a bit more, but they last a hell of a lot longer. It's nothing to worry to greatly about though. Normal lights can eventually start to fade your boxes, but not at the rate that direct sunlight does. I rank it up there with disk rot. Sure, it's a thing, but it's not super common.

Big Chungus

its so hard finding snes games in my city, and the ones i do find are really expensive.

i guess i wont be collecting my favourite snes titles anytime soon

Cody_D165

Banned
welp I drunkenly purchased a Chrono Trigger cart, snagged it from ebay for just over a hundo

fairly decent price in this day and age I suppose... slightly less than most of the completed listings figured I'd go ahead and snag it during the holiday weekend while everyone's off doing shit

it's still a little more than I ever really wanted to pay but at least now I own one of my favorite video games of all time <3

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Few games from the last month and a half or so.

Got a copy of Super Aleste waiting at the post office that I can't pick up until Tuesday, too, which is a bit annoying.

How is that Taito Flintstones-game? I only remember the crappy Ocean-game based on the even worse movie.

Olly88

How is that Taito Flintstones-game? I only remember the crappy Ocean-game based on the even worse movie.
It's fun. The board game aspect of it can be both cool and annoying at times, but overall I'd say it's more positive than negative. It controls well and looks really nice, which is... nice. I'd definitely recommend it if you like platformers and want a new one to try.

Morfeo

It's fun. The board game aspect of it can be both cool and annoying at times, but overall I'd say it's more positive than negative. It controls well and looks really nice, which is... nice. I'd definitely recommend it if you like platformers and want a new one to try.

Thanks, definitely checking it out then!

Morfeo

its so hard finding snes games in my city, and the ones i do find are really expensive.

i guess i wont be collecting my favourite snes titles anytime soon

Well, if its a reconciliation, I havent seen a Snes game in the wild where I live since the mid 90s, so you are not alone in this.

magiustra

I need some help!
I'm Italian but back in the days I used to play on a Super Famicom imported from Japan, not on a PAL Super Nintendo.

To play imported Super NES games from the USA I used an adepter called AD-29 (it's the first version, not the "powered-up" second edition).

Now I don't have my imported japanese Super Famicom anymore, but I have a PAL Super Nintendo. It works ok with the two PAL games that I have. Problem is that using the AD-29 adepter all my NTSC games (from the US) won't work. Black screen, no sound.

I was wondering what can the issue be. Maybe the AD-29 adapter is broken (but it works if I put a PAL game on the front slot, with nothing else in the rear one). Maybe the AD-29 adapter is not compatible with a PAL machine. Maybe I have some issues with the AV/video cables. Don't really know. Can you please give me some hints? Can't wait to play all my games from back in the days :)

Thanks

(sorry for my bad engrish: it's not my first language)

-KRS-

I need some help!
I'm Italian but back in the days I used to play on a Super Famicom imported from Japan, not on a PAL Super Nintendo.

To play imported Super NES games from the USA I used an adepter called AD-29 (it's the first version, not the "powered-up" second edition).

Now I don't have my imported japanese Super Famicom anymore, but I have a PAL Super Nintendo. It works ok with the two PAL games that I have. Problem is that using the AD-29 adepter all my NTSC games (from the US) won't work. Black screen, no sound.

I was wondering what can the issue be. Maybe the AD-29 adapter is broken (but it works if I put a PAL game on the front slot, with nothing else in the rear one). Maybe the AD-29 adapter is not compatible with a PAL machine. Maybe I have some issues with the AV/video cables. Don't really know. Can you please give me some hints? Can't wait to play all my games from back in the days :)

Thanks

(sorry for my bad engrish: it's not my first language)
Arr you putting a pal cart in the back slot? You need to do that on a pal console.

magiustra

Arr you putting a pal cart in the back slot? You need to do that on a pal console.

Yeah, the PAL one in the back slot and the USA one in the front one. I also tried to hit the reset button after turning on the console, but with no luck.

Maybe the converter is broken (or really dirty? Already tried to clean it a little bit) or maybe the are some compatibility issue with the first version of the AD-29 adapter and a PAL Machine. I'm also wondering about some cable issues.

Thanks for trying to help me, synt4x.

Peagles

Yeah, the PAL one in the back slot and the USA one in the front one. I also tried to hit the reset button after turning on the console, but with no luck.

Maybe the converter is broken (or really dirty? Already tried to clean it a little bit) or maybe the are some compatibility issue with the first version of the AD-29 adapter and a PAL Machine. I'm also wondering about some cable issues.

If it's not completely broken... I would make sure everything is clean, adapters like that are a pain because it means you have to have 3 contact points working all at once for success. I've had the same issue with similar adapters.

Also some donor carts in the back work better than others, I think you've said you only have 2 PAL carts but it's worth trying both to see if one works better than the other.

alf717

That is an OK replacement if you have a busted shell. But taking a stock unit in great shape to do that is a waste. I hope those original shells went to a happy home.

magiustra

If it's not completely broken... I would make sure everything is clean, adapters like that are a pain because it means you have to have 3 contact points working all at once for success. I've had the same issue with similar adapters.

Also some donor carts in the back work better than others, I think you've said you only have 2 PAL carts but it's worth trying both to see if one works better than the other.

Thanks Peagle, I will try to clean it again. I'll keep you updated. Thanks again!

-KRS-

I have the first version of the AD-29 as well and I used it on my pal snes successfully before I got a modded Super Famicom. In fact, it was the only adapter I could play Earthbound with on my pal snes. So it is one of the better ones. Hope you can get it to work. I remember having to open mine up (it has regular screws) and using the rubber eraser method to clean it before it would work properly when I got it.

Morfeo

That looks terrible, but I guess its ok as a replacement for broken original ones. Just hope they didnt sacrifice any original shells.

Top Bottom