• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Sat down and finally beat Power Rangers tonight. Fuck the final boss battle...

BTW, Zack's character model/sprite looks incredibly racist... Look at his lips

Seik

Banned
Just finished FF II (IV) for the first time! It took a solid 20 hours.

MxSD5OK.png

Feels good! :D

Bought a copy of Starfox for $9 at a game store today. Said sore had some pretty interesting stuff, including a Neo Geo X, Several nex in-box Neo Geo Pockets, and a few other odds and ends. Sadly, Starfox was pretty much the only worthwhile SNES gfame they had.

beanman25

Looking to get my hands on Pocky and Rocky 1&2. How much would I be forced to spend? I have extra copies of CT and FFIII if someone wants to trade.

Anyone looking for a copy of Chrono Trigger, there is someone in the buy/sell/trade thread selling one for a really good price:

Chrono Trigger SNES.

Only the cart.

Mint condition.

$50.00

Says to PM for pictures, but if it's mint like he says, that is a really great price.

There are a couple other people selling some SNES stuff on the last couple pages there also.

GulAtiCa

terrisus

On the topic, I am all for scoping out the local flea market when it warms up, but eBay isn't too bad. You get a huge selection and you can get nice looking carts. I guess my time is worth more than the premium for buying stuff off ebay.

Indeed, while "the hunt" can be fun, and result in some great deals, sometimes it's easier to, if one really wants something, just hop onto eBay and grab the cheapest Buy-it-Now.

So that guy with the questionable Super Famicom ebay listings from this morning contacted me about paying for Chrono Trigger. I'll just go ahead and direct quote in chronological order.

I'd really appreciated if you pay money within 7 days.
If you don't pay money,please let me know.

You send me money after that.
I'll send items.
There is a small problem with my paypal.

Would you send money to math217@gamail.com

Payment is to
(math217@gmail.com) .

Hmm... Should I complete the sale outside of ebay? Sounds legit.

So that guy with the questionable Super Famicom ebay listings from this morning contacted me about paying for Chrono Trigger. I'll just go ahead and direct quote in chronological order.

Hmm...

Those prices aren't even very good for JAP versions of the games, just wait a bit, I might even come back with some extra carts in a few weeks. All of these games are super common. No need to deal with sketchy ebay sellers.

Those prices aren't even very good for JAP versions of the games, just wait a bit, I might even come back with some extra carts in a few weeks. All of these games are super common. No need to deal with sketchy ebay sellers.

$15 bucks shipped for a CIB Chrono Trigger is pretty decent looking at current BIN and sold prices. The cheapest box copy with a BIN right now is five bucks more and doesn't include the instructions. Not that I'm really going to complete the sale, cause yeah, something shady going on which is why I removed the links this morning.

EDIT: LOL. They're still coming:

Second payment? What?

Why is ebay so shitty? Why isn't there a "contact ebay about this listing" button or something? I'm clicking all the fuck around trying to figure out how to report that he is wanting me to complete the sale outside of ebay, can't find the shit anywhere.

Sushigod7

$15 bucks shipped for a CIB Chrono Trigger is pretty decent looking at current BIN and sold prices. The cheapest box copy with a BIN right now is five bucks more and doesn't include the instructions. Not that I'm really going to complete the sale, cause yeah, something shady going on which is why I removed the links this morning.

EDIT: LOL. They're still coming:

Second payment? What?

Why is ebay so shitty? Why isn't there a "contact ebay about this listing" button or something? I'm clicking all the fuck around trying to figure out how to report that he is wanting me to complete the sale outside of ebay, can't find the shit anywhere.

Since Paypal has a similar protection as ebay if you want to loan this guy $15 till you see what happens you can call Paypal and report he is not legit/never sent the item they will side with you and refund you. It depends on how deep in the rabbit hole you want to go! lol

Since Paypal has a similar protection as ebay if you want to loan this guy $15 till you see what happens you can call Paypal and report he is not legit/never sent the item they will side with you and refund you. It depends on how deep in the rabbit hole you want to go! lol

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/rfe-spam-non-ebay-sale.html

That's the closest thing I could find (the Report It link on that page)

Well I told him I wouldn't pay to an account not tied to ebay. He said he's working on it and he'll email me when he gets it done. We'll see. Maybe I'll get my $15 piece of card board by some crazy chance.

Just tell him to create a buy it now auction for you.. Sounds a little weird he wants to do this outside of eBay.

It was a BIN I bought this morning. Another Gaffer noticed that he can't accept paypal. I'm too curious not to find out for myself, so I bought CT to see. It just says the seller can't accept payments, so there's no way to pay him. If he gets it sorted out I'll give him the $15, and we'll see if I actually get anything or not. If not I'll go through the hassle of fighting with ebay/paypal to get my money back. It's an adventure at this point.

Olly88

Sounds like a good deal to me. I bought it from eBay a couple of years ago but it ended up being the German version. I knew the box was but I thought the game would be in English. Oh well, at least the PAL versions have Action Mode so I can play the side scrolling parts without any problems.

Olly88

My most recent game which arrived yesterday

It's quite awkward at first, mostly because of the controls, but now that I've figured them out and the timing etc, I'm finding the game pretty fun :)

I've always enjoyed the game, and I really think that game still has some absolutely spectacular graphics. I should play it again...I haven't played it in a few years. Last time I popped it into my SNES was for my brother to play, and that was two or three years ago.

Got Super Metroid to work after some swabbin and some blowin.

=)
Want to know something pathetic? I have never completed Super Metroid. I own the game. In fact I am looking at it right now. It's in my SNES, which is connected to my TV. I really would like to play through it, but for some reason I just haven't dedicated the time. I've probably made it halfway through and I love it. Instead of playing Far Cry 3 tonight I should have played that.

Reclaimer

Got Super Metroid to work after some swabbin and some blowin.

=)

Sweet! It's a great game.

[Community service announcement]

Remember: do NOT blow in your carts.

Water is the enemy here.

You spray saliva everywhere when you blow into your cart.

That water moisture actually helps the electrical contacts just a bit, allowing some semi-corroded or dirty games to start after spraying your mouth juice everywhere.

But that same water moisture also leads to more corrosion on the contacts of the game, and the connectors in the system. It gradually is making your games and system less and less reliable.

[/Community service announcement]

Edit: obviously not everyone is splattering massive amounts of spit into their games, but its surprising how much damage even a small mist of moisture can make over time. :)

Teknoman

My CRT with S-video magically started working just fine again...not sure whats up with that, but finally got to try S-video SNES and N64. Makes a pretty big difference, especially on text. Everything looks pretty sharp and clear, although I did have to adjust image settings.

Not exactly from SD to HD jump in quality of course, but its very worthwhile in color separation (no more closely position letters blending into one another) and general clarity. Seems like some games look better than others though (Super Metroid, Arcana, and Sunsetriders look amazing, while I cant really see a difference in Mario World or Super Adventure Island 1). A side note on the N64, Jet Force Gemini looks really nice.

Now I just need to sit down with one game at a time and go through it instead of bouncing from game to game.

EDIT: Sucks that the TV seems to very slightly cut off some parts of the screen though. Nothing gameplay hindering though.

That Super Famicom guy may be legit. He said he is doing some shit to get his paypal back up and running and that it'll be a week or two. Not trying to get me to pay now or anything, just telling me I can wait until the account is tied to his ebay account.

Sushigod7

So with this thread it's kind of pushed me to stop buying a lot of current games and go back to collect some older ones. Am I the only one? I'm not all that excited about new consoles coming to be honest I'm sure they will have some great games and maybe down the road I'll pick up one but the older stuff just warms my heart you know?

Fox Mulder

So with this thread it's kind of pushed me to stop buying a lot of current games and go back to collect some older ones. Am I the only one? I'm not all that excited about new consoles coming to be honest I'm sure they will have some great games and maybe down the road I'll pick up one but the older stuff just warms my heart you know?

I waited to buy a 360 for a year after launch, and still had like 6 die on me this gen. I bought a WiiU at launch and ended up selling it because there's nothing to play yet. The upcoming consoles sound like an anti consumer mess with always online, no used games, forcing kinect, no BC, etc. I'm definitely waiting before getting anything next gen, if I even do. I'd rather build up my collection of genesis, SNES, GameCube, wii, and even 360 games right now.

I'm not really having much success finding snes games in the wild around here, but it's the best time to get wii games due to the console being dead and everyone selling/trading them in. I've found rare stuff like Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, One Piece, Metoid Prime Trilogy, and The Last Story all at gamestops or pawn shops around me.

I've mostly been playing SNES games since November when I got mine. I'm still excited for next-gen, but 2012 felt kind of shitty to me with mediocre sequels to games we've been playing all generation. And so far this year hasn't been any different with a mediocre DmC and Dead Space 3. We have Crysis 3 and Metal Gear Rising this week, hopefully at least one of them will be awesome. But, yeah. It was a pretty good/easy time to get sucked into some classics these last few months.

Sushigod7

I'm not really having much success finding snes games in the wild around here, but it's the best time to get wii games due to the console being dead and everyone selling/trading them in. I've found rare stuff like Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, One Piece, Metoid Prime Trilogy, and The Last Story all at gamestops or pawn shops around me.

Me either we have a local flea market that has game retailers I guess and also 1 indie store in a suburb but they were closed all weekend so didn't get to visit. I plan to head over there this week and check things out. I'm still trying to find a console I've been watching ebay like a hawk trying to find a good deal on one.

Fox Mulder

Me either we have a local flea market that has game retailers I guess and also 1 indie store in a suburb but they were closed all weekend so didn't get to visit. I plan to head over there this week and check things out. I'm still trying to find a console I've been watching ebay like a hawk trying to find a good deal on one.

I'll have to check out flea markets in the spring, but I'm sure high priced resellers hit those too. There's games at pawn shops, but they're priced at eBay premiums. Even the one retro store around here sells anything that isnt a sports game at insane prices. I was laughing as i walked out the door. Most of my finds have been cheap gems for the GameCube and wii while out looking for SNES games.

Gonna head to a retro game store today and see if I can find anything, but I'm mostly looking for an NES. Hoping to find a few SNES gems though.

I decided recently that this gen I am going to stick with wii u, NES, and SNES

Sushigod7

I see some pricing on Facebook for my local retro store they are charging 29.99 for DKC just cart. I guess it's not that far off from ebay.

I see some pricing on Facebook for my local retro store they are charging 29.99 for DKC just cart. I guess it's not that far off from ebay.
I think that's what I paid for my CIB version on ebay.

fake edit: Yup.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181060020681

edit edit: Shit, for around 60, you could get all 3.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Donkey-Kong-Country-1-2-3-Diddys-Kong-Quest-Dixie-Double-Trouble-Super-Nintendo-/150997721981?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D5661003436322491419%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D181060020681%26

GulAtiCa

I've been playing a lot of Sim City lately. Really a fun game. Apparently they also ported Sim City 2000 to the SNES. Anyone ever play it?

Here is another video in the recommended pickups for SNES/SFC collectors:
Final Fight Guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STOVRiaozrQ

Previous Videos in the series:
X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6ETMQUMZ04
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhRK6w0Psco
S.O.S./Septentrion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGB67bCy914
Battletoads in Battlemaniacs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNYEaBV28zQ
Super Ghouls'n Ghosts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jITVcXlPORs
Super Back to the Future II (SFC): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76cC5eC8E7Q
Umihara Kawase (SFC): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqw7JsrddQc

Linkhero1

How do you guys store your SNES games? Do you use shelves, drawers, a combination? I just bought a new shelf but I feel as if putting loose carts on it will be a bit weird.

smbu2000

Just got a new game in my snes/sfc collection. (I also bought 2 Genesis games.)
I paid 6,200 yen for it (cart only.) The cart itself is in good condition and plays great. I played co-op through it with my girlfriend earlier today.

GulAtiCa

Well the cases cost generally around $80ish for 100 at a time ($59 + shipping).
Then covers only cost $0.50 to print each one.

So really not much. (other then the initial $80)
I've printed over 100 so far. Granted was over course of several months. It may ended up costing me $50 for the prints, but that was really nothing as it was spread out.

Top Bottom