• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'd like to implore retro collectors to stop rewarding high BIN listings. Start making those sellers list actual auctions with a low starting bid.

I have rewarded a high BIN before... The thing was definitely overpriced... but at the same time I had been looking for so long for a minty copy that, in the end, it actually was worth it to me :/ Definitely part of the problem.

Lagiacrusty

Neo Member
I just checked out another flea market this morning. Thankfully it wasn't a "mexican" one and i was glad to see lots of tarps full of junk on arrival. There was quite a bit of consoles and games, but there were absolutely no SNESes, so once again I left empty handed, cept for a gamecube game. I'm starting to get discouraged now, I've checked nearly every thrift and antique store in my area and a couple flea markets, and all I've seen are NBA jam and Jungle book. I'll keep trying more, as I think flea markets and yard sales will become a lot more fruitful when the weather warms up, but as of now, It seems that SNES is becoming impossible to find in the wild :(

GulAtiCa

You know, I always thought it was kind of odd for LTTP to be the only cart based Console Zelda game to not have a Gold edition.

BocoDragon

I just checked out another flea market this morning. Thankfully it wasn't a "mexican" one and i was glad to see lots of tarps full of junk on arrival. There was quite a bit of consoles and games, but there were absolutely no SNESes, so once again I left empty handed, cept for a gamecube game. I'm starting to get discouraged now, I've checked nearly every thrift and antique store in my area and a couple flea markets, and all I've seen are NBA jam and Jungle book. I'll keep trying more, as I think flea markets and yard sales will become a lot more fruitful when the weather warms up, but as of now, It seems that SNES is becoming impossible to find in the wild :(

I've found it nearly impossible in the wild for a decade now... I'm a pretty constant thrift store/garage sale kind of guy, but SNES games do not come easy.

Decently priced nice looking Castlevania 4. $32.58 shipped. Here.

Another one here for $27 shipped. But, I can't tell what condition the label is in from the shit picture, looks pretty scuffed up. Here.

EDIT: Both gone.

So is that about the going rate for Castlevania IV? I saw it at a local shop for $25 and for $30 at another. I guess those are pretty decent prices going by these auctions.

BocoDragon

You know, I always thought it was kind of odd for LTTP to be the only cart based Console Zelda game to not have a Gold edition.
Yeah, they kind of brought it back in the 64 edition as a nostalgia-play and to drive pre-orders. It was less of an ongoing tradition and more something they did once for marketing, then brought back once again.

Who said LTTP? ;)

I think he was mentioning NES Zelda because that was the oldest battery backup game. Mine still works too.
My Zelda II still has my original save game from 1989. :D

Re: flea markets/garage sales - I think the era of finding sweet lots of retro games and consoles for super cheap at such places is over. There has been an active retro collecting community for the past 15 years that has scoured the country for all the stuff people found in their closets and sold for cheap just to get rid of it. Now all the retro stuff is pretty much on ebay or specialty retro stores being sold for "collector prices."

By the way, BocoDragon, do I know you from digitpress or sega-16? I usually go by Gentlegamer.

FaintDeftone

Yeah, one reason why I rarely buy on eBay is due to the jacked up prices. I almost bit on one game recently but I passed on it, and then went to a local used game shop a few days later and saw a copy there in the same condition for almost half the price.

eBay is for people who must have the item now and do not want to spend the time or effort to get good deals.

90% of the time when I hit up thrift stores or garage sales, the only games I come across are crappy sports games or kiddy licensed games. It is normally best to hit up second hand shops, even though some of them charge crazy eBay prices too. I have a few in my area that I hit up frequently that have a knack for collectible games that they keep in glass cases that have decent prices though, but not everyone is as fortunate.

GulAtiCa

I recently started to keep an eye on eBay's SNES games BINs as they are being listed. I found TMNT IV: Turtles in Time for $25 that way.

BocoDragon

Re: flea markets/garage sales - I think the era of finding sweet lots of retro games and consoles for super cheap at such places is over. There has been an active retro collecting community for the past 15 years that has scoured the country for all the stuff people found in their closets and sold for cheap just to get rid of it. Now all the retro stuff is pretty much on ebay or specialty retro stores being sold for "collector prices."

Yeah I consider those days done. It used to be common for people to just give away their games for free or for rock bottom prices. Everyone can check eBay now.

But, having said that....... I found an insane haul at the end of last year at a local thrift store. I paid $40 and got all kinds of rare Atlus, Square and Working Design RPGs, MGS3 Limited Edition Disc 3, and a lot of amazing, expensive stuff....... so miracles can happen. But rarely.

By the way, BocoDragon, do I know you from digitpress or sega-16? I usually go by Gentlegamer.

Yeah you probably do :) I haven't really posted at either much in years through, so my name must have stuck in your memory.

Teknoman

Keep trying. They always have different things every few days, and you never know what you'll find. Of course its always good to take a break once and awhile.

It's definitely not over, but it's getting close to it.

With the combination of what you were saying and people being more aware of the going rates for older titles, it's definitely becoming more difficult to come across stuff for a decent/cheap value.

Also @FaintDeftone

Ebay is good for finding mint copies of games whereas a flea market or local store will more than likely not have the ideal condition that you want.

I recently started to keep an eye on eBay's SNES games BINs as they are being listed. I found TMNT IV: Turtles in Time for $25 that way.

That's all I look for when it comes to eBay. I don't feel like getting in bidding wars so I look for the lowest BINs that have long auction times. Gives me time to decide if it's worthy of a purchase.

MoxManiac

Yeah, sorry. I should have specified NES Zelda. I only brought it up due to the battery replacement talk since I was really suprised it still saved after 20+ years.

GulAtiCa

Can anyone identify the games in those pictures??? Just how lucky would I have gotten?

Damn you Ebay for making me sign in...

Super Mario World
DKC2...

Still looking

EDIT: I can't go on...there are good games in there. Nothing rare like Earthbound but it hurts to see you lose out.

plc268

So I replaced a cartridge battery for the first time last night and it wasn't too bad. I'm thinking of doing this to all of my carts, does anybody else replace the battery once you get a game even if it saves just fine. Personally I put in about 15-20 hours towards LTTP and I lost it all due to a failing battery. I don't want to go through that again.

Yep, very recently I've replaced every battery in all my games. I backed up the save file, installed a battery holder, and put in brand new batteries, then restored the save file.

They should be good to go for another 20 years, and when the time comes, a battery change will be much simpler.

Olly88

Can anyone identify the games in those pictures??? Just how lucky would I have gotten?

Damn you Ebay for making me sign in...

Here's a few I can make out;

SNES
Magical Quest
Jurassic Park
Yoshi's Island
Star Fox
Super Mario All Stars
Super Mario World
Mario Paint
Power Rangers - The Movie
Lion King

NES
Super Mario Bros / Duck Hunt
Super Mario Bros 3
Tetris x2
Adventure Island
Zelda

plc268

Is there a good tutorial for backing up saves/replacing battery?

Apologies if it's already been posted in the thread.

Well for backing up saves, you're going to need some extra hardware.

I use a retrode. They cost ~$80, and is probably the best way to do it.

You can also get a SuperUFO, which is a janky (~$50-$60) flash cart that also allows you to plug in a retail game on top and extract the rom and save data.

How so? Looking at the completed listings for the game, show that most auctions going for above $25 on average with $30 being the most common. I think you are trying to make a argument for BIN where they are $50+ above what they normally sell, not for BIN where they end up selling for $10 below the avg.

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/?_pid=2750#...7.c0.m299&LH_Auction=1-state-15_auc_qqq_30076

Cart only with torn label is a perfect candidate for an auction. Let the bidders decide what it's worth.

And using completed listings as the "market value" is perilous given that ebay sellers often use shill accounts to drive prices up for the sake of BIN listings. There's several that have been caught red handed in the TG-16 community.

Meesh

Where do some of you collectors stand on the "fan hack" SNES carts? I recently purchased Treasure of the Rudras off EBay and its supposed to be 100% English and as far as I know is one of these custom jobs. I haven't received it yet in the mail so I can't share my personal findings, but I will as soon as I get the chance :)

There have been several Link to the Past custom releases as well, Goddess of Wisdom and Parallel Worlds...

Michan

Went flea market hunting this weekend and found some pretty good deals:

Dragon Quest V
Pilotwings
DKC2
Super Mario Kart
Star Fox
Romancing Saga
+ some other titles
$3 for all

Ogre Battle
Mario RPG
$2 for all

US SNES + 2 controllers
Mario World (US)
Mega Man X2 (US)
Mega Man X3 (US)
$140 for all

I also picked up some of the writable SFC games, one of which contained Fire Emblem! Will post pictures of the haul tonight or tomorrow.

Aq7PwI7.png

The world has apparently not been kind to Mega Man X. Seems to be the most abused game on ebay. At least it's $5 cheaper than that labeless one from last week that was covered in marker.

Dragon Quest V
Pilotwings
DKC2
Super Mario Kart
Star Fox
Romancing Saga
+ some other titles
$3 for all

Ogre Battle
Mario RPG
$2 for all

US SNES + 2 controllers
Mario World (US)
Mega Man X2 (US)
Mega Man X3 (US)
$140 for all

I also picked up some of the writable SFC games, one of which contained Fire Emblem! Will post pictures of the haul tonight or tomorrow.

That is insanity.

BocoDragon

Where do some of you collectors stand on the "fan hack" SNES carts? I recently purchased Treasure of the Rudras off EBay and its supposed to be 100% English and as far as I know is one of these custom jobs. I haven't received it yet in the mail so I can't share my personal findings, but I will as soon as I get the chance :)

I think they're awesome. I don't think they're "collectors items", and all the money paid for them should be for the craftsmanship of the cart, not the game itself, but what a great way to play them.

My only feeling is that, if i start collecting repros, I could go insane trying to find all the ones I want. I might just get a SNES flash cart one of these days....

Dragon Quest V
Pilotwings
DKC2
Super Mario Kart
Star Fox
Romancing Saga
+ some other titles
$3 for all

Ogre Battle
Mario RPG
$2 for all

US SNES + 2 controllers
Mario World (US)
Mega Man X2 (US)
Mega Man X3 (US)
$140 for all

Wow, totally envious.

beanman25

I still want to punch myself in the mouth for never buying a boxed copy of CT from the local rental store for $5 in 2001. I was in Elementary School, so that probably had something to do with it. I have copies now, but no box or any of that good stuff.

There have been several Link to the Past custom releases as well, Goddess of Wisdom and Parallel Worlds...

Repros are great. Being able to play games like Secret of Mana 2, Terranigma, and Bahamut Lagoon for the first time ever, and the way they were meant to be played, has been fucking awesome. I've never played any of the fan hack games. But, the translations are the greatest thing ever. Playing "new" SNES games in 2013 is crazy.

I would suggest staying away from ebay, though. I won't link to where to buy 'cause it's a pretty grey area I'd imagine. But, 99% of what I've seen on ebay is way over what you'd be charged ordering directly from the people who make them. Do some googling, you'll find them.

Teknoman

Dragon Quest V
Pilotwings
DKC2
Super Mario Kart
Star Fox
Romancing Saga
+ some other titles
$3 for all

Ogre Battle
Mario RPG
$2 for all

US SNES + 2 controllers
Mario World (US)
Mega Man X2 (US)
Mega Man X3 (US)
$140 for all

ibl7DRcD4lHrBh.gif

The hell kind of flea market did you visit?! Thats pretty good!

BocoDragon

I still want to punch myself in the mouth for never buying a boxed copy of CT from the local rental store for $5 in 2001. I was in Elementary School, so that probably had something to do with it. I have copies now, but no box or any of that good stuff.

Even in 2001 that would have been an insane find.... I would have killed for a copy back then. (I have one now... paid for it though).

Top Bottom