• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Teknoman

My Mega Ma X2 that went to Washington for some reason was supposed to arrive today, and didn't. It left a town an hour away from me just before 5AM. So, maybe tomorrow.

First-class mail, six days (I hope) to get from South Carolina to Illinois. I am 730 miles from where it shipped from, but in the end it will have traveled 4,988 miles.

The fuck, USPS?

Yeah USPS makes strange errors at times. Not too long ago, I ordered Mystic Quest from a guy on ebay...ended up circling between our local post office and the seller several times. Eventually I got the game and he actually refunded me both the shipping and cost of the game. It was only 5 bucks + 3 dollars shipping, but still.

Glad you liked then. Will do some new this weekend.

What kind of camcorder are you using? Because I thought i'd need a capture device, but your off camera looks pretty good. I'd had varying results, but I guess its more about even lighting?

Turns out my SNES woes were indeed due to faulty AC adapters! (Whoever said the AC adapter probably wasn't providing enough voltage was dead on the money, it seems.) Got mine in from Amazon today (It's generic, but whatever. Still plan on getting the official one), put Mario All Stars in, and it finally turned on, which probably means the other two Super Nintendos I have (Including the one I have from childhood) are likely working after all, too.
9mSeNdO.jpg

ceLkw1p.jpg

I can finally sit down and replay this later tonight. All I need to do is get some S-Video cables, and I can start adding to my collection.

Parallacs

Turns out my SNES woes were indeed due to faulty AC adapters! (Whoever said the AC adapter probably wasn't providing enough voltage was dead on the money, it seems.) Got mine in from Amazon today (It's generic, but whatever. Still plan on getting the official one), put Mario All Stars in, and it finally turned on, which probably means the other two Super Nintendos I have (Including the one I have from childhood) are likely working after all, too.

I can finally sit down and replay this later tonight. All I need to do is get some S-Video cables, and I can start adding to my collection.

Awesome. That was a great mystery.

I wonder if this is what is wrong with my Nomad. Sometimes it will feel like it is lagging or it will randomly reset. I have a dirty Genesis 2 adapter plugged into it.

Awesome. That was a great mystery.

I wonder if this is what is wrong with my Nomad. Sometimes it will feel like it is lagging or it will randomly reset. I have a dirty Genesis 2 adapter plugged into it.

I have a friend that had a similar issue with his Nomad. He would turn it on, but the screen wouldn't turn on until a bit after the power and sound actually came on, which caused some desync issues. Turned out to be a busted capacitor inside the Nomad, IIRC.

Just noticed my projector has an s-video input so I'm in the market for cables. Are the generic gamecube/n64/snes s-video cables on ebay sufficient?

Also finally got around to playing some Ninja Gaiden Trilogy. I love the password system, but the music and the button choices suck hard. You can't configure which button is jump and which is attack, and it's mapped somewhat awkwardly for an snes controller. I have to twist the controller 35 degrees or so to orient the buttons like an nes controller.

GulAtiCa

Luckily the S-Video cables are cheap because of that. I paid $6 with free shipping for mine.

Anyways, got mine hooked up to my older TV up stairs in my bedroom. I took some quick and dirty photos to show the difference between RF and S-Video. RF is on the top and S-Video is on the bottom. (note: The random slight light bar is not on the TV, and just a random effect of older TVs and taking photos of them)

Luckily the S-Video cables are cheap because of that. I paid $6 with free shipping for mine.

Anyways, got mine hooked up to my older TV up stairs in my bedroom. I took some quick and dirty photos to show the difference between RF and S-Video. RF is on the top and S-Video is on the bottom. (note: The random slight light bar is not on the TV, and just a random effect of older TVs and taking photos of them)

Damn, that's a pretty noticeable improvement. I should definitely get some ASAP, especially considering how cheap they seem to be.

I don't think that's true anymore, even auctions go for $190+ these days.

Looking at the most recent and working my way back, the last copy that sold was for $108, $99, $117, etc. $140 looks like the high end for auctions.

I wonder how much of a difference it'd make to go from composite to S-Video? Granted, I have a SNES Jr. or whatever, so I'd have to mod it. Probably not worth the trouble.

I wonder how much of a difference it'd make to go from composite to S-Video? Granted, I have a SNES Jr. or whatever, so I'd have to mod it. Probably not worth the trouble.

Probably wouldn't be as drastic as RF to S-Video, but the lack of dot crawl on screen would probably be a plus either way.

Got inspired by my posts in the Saturn thread, eh? :p

Probably wouldn't be as drastic as RF to S-Video, but the lack of dot crawl on screen would probably be a plus either way.

There's definitely a difference. I took some shots comparing composite and S-Video for the Saturn thread. If you want, I can take some with the SNES for comparison. I can throw in RF, too, to cover all the bases. You can pick out which one of my games to use for it, too.

Kainazzo

One thing that's nice about the Jr. is that the composite signal is better than the older console. In a sense, you already have an upgrade :p

Should you mod it for S-video, the Jr. still has a better connection; it has a better video encoder.

Edit: Thanks Inno!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I have RGB cable and XRGB Mini Framemeister en route to my house! Ascending to SNES heaven soon...

Kainazzo

The Snes jr (modded) actually has the best RGB output as well.
There is not that much of a different to the 1-chip SNES but quite a big difference to the old ones.

Some good comparison pics here
http://www.retrorgb.com/snes

Interesting! I thought I had done all sorts of testing with the various models, but I guess my eyes had a hard time telling the difference. Thanks for teaching me something, guess I better retract what I said above. I've forgotten what board my SNES is, but I know it doesn't have the vertical line down the center. Since it's been lucky enough to not yellow, I'll just hang onto it :p

lol it's in Milton, Ontario canada saw it while browsing one of those sites like craigslist then I youtube it, looks like it has some pretty good stuff judging by their facebook

toyrattca

Just be ready to pay ebay prices or more. Sadly most people who run shops like this just match the going rate on ebay.

On the topic, I am all for scoping out the local flea market when it warms up, but eBay isn't too bad. You get a huge selection and you can get nice looking carts. I guess my time is worth more than the premium for buying stuff off ebay.

Because of this damn thread, I have spent almost $150 in the last 3 days on SNES games:

Sunset Riders (to replace my sold arcade PCB of it): $45
Demons Crest: $55
Power Rangers: The Movie: $23
Doom Troopers/Sonic Blast Man lot: $20

Other than that I have up to $700 set aside for Famicom/SFC stuff or possibly Sega Saturn stuff when I get to Japan in 2 weeks.

On the topic, I am all for scoping out the local flea market when it warms up, but eBay isn't too bad. You get a huge selection and you can get nice looking carts. I guess my time is worth more than the premium for buying stuff off ebay.

Because of this damn thread, I have spent almost $150 in the last 3 days on SNES games:

Sunset Riders (to replace my sold arcade PCB of it): $45
Demons Crest: $55
Power Rangers: The Movie: $23
Doom Troopers/Sonic Blast Man lot: $20

Other than that I have up to $700 set aside for Famicom/SFC stuff or possibly Sega Saturn stuff when I get to Japan in 2 weeks.

This thread is a bad influence on my spending habits too.

Something doesn't sit right with these auctions. Seller also has 90% positive feedback. That's pretty low.

I looked into that cause it caught my attention too. He has three negatives (two from the same person). They were all three because he canceled their orders afterwards. So not really that bad. No complaints about scamming or anything.

Top Bottom