• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

OK, so I'm thinking about the Everdrive black friday sale. I know SD2SNES is the top of the line but I'm thinking about splitting the difference by getting the Everdrive with the DSP chip installed. The sale price essentially negates the cost of the DSP upgrade.

Looks like I'll get the vast majority of the SNES/SF library with that, right? I know the SFX games, MMX 2 and 3, Kirby 3 and SM RPG are out. I still plan to collect here and there but I just can't really imagine that I will ever be a major SNES collector given the way the market is...

Does anyone know if Krikzz has the 20 percent sales on his products several times a year? Or is only for Black Friday?

I am very tempted to get SD2SNES tomorrow but it would be very stupid of me since I am a bit low on money.

storafötter;225397738 said:
Does anyone know if Krikzz has the 20 percent sales on his products several times a year? Or is only for Black Friday?

I am very tempted to get SD2SNES tomorrow but it would be very stupid of me since I am a bit low on money.

Only black friday.

Get it next year.

Ordered mine. Might end up selling a few carts because of this. Really focused more on actual collecting for NES. With SNES I'm pretty OK with the SED.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I want an SD2SNES on sale, but I hate the black cart which is the only one available right now...

I want an SD2SNES on sale, but I hate the black cart which is the only one available right now...

Can just order the grey shell anyway with the current price and get it when they get it in stock, right? On the stone age gamer site I mean. Their sale is 15% instead of the 20% on krikzz's store though.

BocoDragon

Can just order the grey shell anyway with the current price and get it when they get it in stock, right? On the stone age gamer site I mean. Their sale is 15% instead of the 20% on krikzz's store though.

Good idea. But I need a Super Famicom/PAL SNES style shell, and I want it grey, with the slot built in for sd card and mini usb.... and the supply of it seems to be dried up all over the web. (edit: I see they DO have Japanese style ones on offer. But it's "vinyl coated". WTF is that? I don't want that. I just want a stock look).

My kingdom for an aftermarket piece of grey plastic ;_;

You're right though... I should probably buy the SD2SNES today. It ain't getting any cheaper, I have been in the market for a long time... and I can afford it today.

Good idea. But I need a Super Famicom/PAL SNES style shell, and I want it grey, with the slot built in for sd card and mini usb.... and the supply of it seems to be dried up all over the web. (edit: I see they DO have Japanese style ones on offer. But it's "vinyl coated". WTF is that? I don't want that. I just want a stock look).

My kingdom for an aftermarket piece of grey plastic ;_;

You're right though... I should probably buy the SD2SNES today. It ain't getting any cheaper, I have been in the market for a long time... and I can afford it today.

I too am not a fan of any coating and just like normal looking plastic, but that's just because everything that I've seen that was painted/has a coating looks like absolute shit and gets messed up easily. Don't know if I've seen one of the Stone Age Gamer things in person though, but I still wouldn't want to try it sight unseen.

And yes, black Friday is the best time every year to get these, so go for it or wait another year.

Olly88

The copy of FFIII I was eyeing up was too good a price for me to pass up, so I decided to grab it. After it arrived today I'm even more glad that I did...

NUBeKYw.jpg

Sometimes buying things that have no photos works in a positive way, too!

The copy of FFIII I was eyeing up was too good a price for me to pass up, so I decided to grab it. After it arrived today I'm even more glad that I did...

Not to burst your bubble but are you sure that's legit? Repros/bootleg carts + boxes have been getting much higher quality these days.

Olly88

Not to burst your bubble but are you sure that's legit? Repros/bootleg carts + boxes have been getting much higher quality these days.

Hehe, that was my initial thought too TBH when I first saw it. The first thing I did was compare it with other US boxes that I've got, and the shade of grey inside the box, thickness of the cardboard and all the folds/creases/marks are exactly the same. I'd say the only way it's a repro is if someone got their hands on one of the original machines and materials.

-KRS-

My god... It's Beautiful

Peltz

storafötter;225397738 said:

I'd pass if money is tight. There's always next year.

BocoDragon

I caved and bought an SD2SNES. Not happy about the black cart, but it's not worth waiting to see if Krikzz will restock the grey cart, especially if it's not on sale later.

I'm sure I can find/make a grey cart with the hole for SD/USB. I have an idea for a more authentic Super Famicom label design than the one krikzz offers anyway.

Krikzz's Black Friday sale is still in effect, if anyone still wants the discount...

hitgirl

So I'm back home for Thanksgiving and I realize I have a bunch of SNES games. I listed Final Fight 3 for $89 and it sold in 1 second, buy it now. Is there something I'm missing? That's crazy!

BocoDragon

So I'm back home for Thanksgiving and I realize I have a bunch of SNES games. I listed Final Fight 3 for $89 and it sold in 1 second, buy it now. Is there something I'm missing? That's crazy!
That seems to be the going rate. Maybe someone had a search set up and jumped on it.

hitgirl

That seems to be the going rate. Maybe someone had a search set up and jumped on it.

ah, ok. Thanks for the quick replay. Should I hold onto it for a bit more? I can just keep them where they are. I guess what I'm asking is the price continuing to go up on these. Thanks for info btw, it's a bit self serving to me!

Krelian

Seems there's not much going on here lately. I hope that will change soon as I just got an SFC Jr.

Can somebody recommend an adapter I can use to play US games with? As far as I know they're fully compatible with the SFC, except for the cartridge shape.

Cross post from the Retro GAF thread:
Got myself an early Christmas present: a Super Famicom Jr. with RGB mod. I know the mod is supposed to be easy to do yourself but I don't trust myself to do anything like that and I don't have the equipment either.
It's really small and light compared to the original model. I'd never seen a SNES mini or SFC Jr. in person before. Love what they've done with this little thing.

Now I gotta wait for more games to test it with. I do have one game and that seems to work fine but I may have sync issues with my OSSC, which is a bummer.

linkboy

Seems there's not much going on here lately. I hope that will change soon as I just got an SFC Jr.

Can somebody recommend an adapter I can use to play US games with? As far as I know they're fully compatible with the SFC, except for the cartridge shape.

Cross post from the Retro GAF thread:

I've been picking up Japanese copies of my SNES games and just doing a swap of the circuit boards to play on my Super Famicom. The Super Famicom and SNES are the same internally, just physically different.

As for an adapter, the Game Genie can be used to play US games, but it won't work with games like Mario RPG that have extra pins.

Is anyone here interested in salvaging SNES hardware? My SNES has issues reading carts, and I plan on buying another one in the future. The thing is, I never like throwing out anything that could be of value to someone else.

I tested my carts on a friend's SNES and everything worked fine, so I know my console is the problem. I cleaned the connector pins to no avail (using a small piece of cardboard and alcohol). If anyone is interested in a slightly malfunctioning SNES console, I'll ship it if you can cover the cost. I'm in the USA, east coast.

For clarification, it is not completely broken. It can boot up most of my games, each with unique issues. Super Metroid starts fine but stairs don't work so I can't progress. Mario Kart works but the AI is broken. Clayfighter crashes once a match starts. It varies from game to game.

edit: taken

What a coincidence. I've just picked up Axelay as well (with an okay quality box and manual). The soundtrack sold me. I was pretty happy with the price as well ($70.)

I have to make sure to play it and not let it sit there like Arcana.

Peagles

Bit random, but does anyone have or know how I could get some really high res Amano artwork from Final Fantasy III/VI? I want to get a decent size poster made of Locke.

Peagles

How high res are we talking? I wish I had access to a decent scanner. My hardcover Amano The Sky book would look great. I would kill for some high res stuff like the ones at http://imgur.com/a/zMJpk#0.

I don't know enough to know how high res it would need to be, but the ones in that link look pretty spectacular, thanks! Might just experiment a bit with those at different sizes and see what looks good. I just want a poster or two of Locke cos we just named our wee boy after him and thought it'd be cool to put them up in his nursery, hehe.

I was thinking exactly the same thing about The Sky... might have a flip through and see if there's any on there that I could scan at an even higher res. I can't remember if the ones I'd want span across two pages or not though.

Bit random, but does anyone have or know how I could get some really high res Amano artwork from Final Fantasy III/VI? I want to get a decent size poster made of Locke.

i have the sky book too but no scanner. i wish i can mail it to you to borrow for a long time as i got it off amazon for 8 bucks. (it's just sitting here sealed and i trip over it and hit my toes all the time =P)

edit: looks like you have the book!

I don't know enough to know how high res it would need to be, but the ones in that link look pretty spectacular, thanks! Might just experiment a bit with those at different sizes and see what looks good. I just want a poster or two of Locke cos we just named our wee boy after him and thought it'd be cool to put them up in his nursery, hehe.

I was thinking exactly the same thing about The Sky... might have a flip through and see if there's any on there that I could scan at an even higher res. I can't remember if the ones I'd want span across two pages or not though.

I'm glad the link worked for you. I find it endlessly charming that you've chosen to name your little one Locke. I think its a wonderful name. Perhaps I should have named my daughter Celes and Terra! Madison and Emmalyn will have to do.

Has anyone ever tried using the one handed controller called ASCII Stick Super L5 controller? I see one on ebay for 27 and I've been fascinated with it since I saw one in Nintendo Power back in the day. I'm afraid my old hands will cramp nowadays.

I would mainly use it for RPGs though. Seems useless for anything twitchy.

BTails

The Sky is a great book, I have it as well. Big and heavy, and I could imagine would be very hard to scan. I'd love the FFVI main artwork (Terra on the Magitek armour) as a large print on my wall. I used to have it up on my cubicle at work.

Right now, I have this one from the original Final Fantasy up at work:

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

Hey congrats on giving birth and giving him a great name! I hope everything went fine? Enjoy it, it really is a great time :)

Peagles

i have the sky book too but no scanner. i wish i can mail it to you to borrow for a long time as i got it off amazon for 8 bucks. (it's just sitting here sealed and i trip over it and hit my toes all the time =P)

edit: looks like you have the book!

So sweet of you to offer regardless, but your poor toes! I should borrow it anyway just to save you some pain lol.

I'm glad the link worked for you. I find it endlessly charming that you've chosen to name your little one Locke. I think its a wonderful name. Perhaps I should have named my daughter Celes and Terra! Madison and Emmalyn will have to do.

Aww thanks. We wanted something geeky and uncommon but also easy to spell and pronounce and a bit of a hidden reference too. Locke ticked all the boxes, and his daddy is Scottish so it ticks that box too. Celes and Terra would be great; love Madison and Emmalyn though! We decided if by chance we had twin boys sometime they would definitely have to be Edgar and Sabin.

The Sky is a great book, I have it as well. Big and heavy, and I could imagine would be very hard to scan. I'd love the FFVI main artwork (Terra on the Magitek armour) as a large print on my wall. I used to have it up on my cubicle at work.

Right now, I have this one from the original Final Fantasy up at work:

Yeh I think I'll have to experiment a bit with the scanning... I'm not allowed to lift it off the shelf right now by myself though lol, so might take me awhile to recruit some help. Love that piece you have up at work!

Hey congrats on giving birth and giving him a great name! I hope everything went fine? Enjoy it, it really is a great time :)

Thank you :) The pregnancy was easy and pleasant but the actual birth was a nightmare. Locke recovered pretty quick but I'm still on the mend and will be for some time. Totally worth it though!

AmyS

Nice 3-page article from 90s Electronic Games on Nintendo's CD-ROM plans.

YxT5wqD.jpg

April 1993

The specifications line up with this internal Nintendo CD-ROM document from February 1993, which got posted online a couple of years ago.

https://twitter.com/stevenplin/status/434076334352916480

Keep in mind, the Nintendo Disc system was beyond what the more well-known and older Nintendo PlayStation / SNES-CD system was. Whereas, the Nintendo PlayStation was merely a CD-ROM drive and some extra ROM and RAM, like the TurboGrafx-16 CD expansion, the Nintendo Disc was a full upgrade like the Sega CD, but even more powerful (32-bit processor, special compression chip, etc).

Olly88

I played this last night. Dino Wars (City)

I got it a few months ago but hadn't got round to playing it yet. I found it to be a really fun game from what I played. The one main negative was in the levels where you have to stay on a wheel that rotated through the level there was quite a bit of slowdown at times. Other than that though it was good in most other ways.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Thank you :) The pregnancy was easy and pleasant but the actual birth was a nightmare. Locke recovered pretty quick but I'm still on the mend and will be for some time. Totally worth it though!

Glad to hear you are happy and everything with Locke now :)

i posted this on retrogaf but maybe i should ask here:

hey guys, i ordered the snes box protectors by videogame through amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FUJULBY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

and they're really tight compared to the ones i got at my local retro stores included with my snes game purchases. i feel like my boxes might get creased or crushed to squeeze in.

anyone use these?

or recommend a place to order protective boxes that give a wee bit of room?

Top Bottom