• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Credo

Currently with 11 packages on the way, I'm going to take a break from buying stuff till they all arrive. (at least I say that in theory. lol) Then I'm going after Mega Man X2 & X3.

I've said the same thing a few times. May you have much stronger willpower than me!

televator

Sunset Riders... maybe I should add that to my list of "wants" in the sale thread. I might just outright buy a cart if a accumulate enough cash from what I sell.

I've never played that game, but I'm curious to see how good it is.

Prices have gone through the roof in the last week. I am tapped until I get to Tokyo. Coming back with another 30-60 Famicom/SFC carts this time... Really depends on what is in stock and deals I find.

Seik

Banned
Awwwww yeaaaaah!

uyIZj4K.jpg

CIB with the Killer Cuts disc, thanks Goldenpp72! :D

Are prices in Japan much cheaper than ebay SFC carts?

Hit and miss. You really have to go outside of Akiharbara to find good prices at places like BookOff and HardOff. I am OK with finding carts that aren't perfect so you can find some great games for very little. all of the RPGs are super cheap, but mostly worthless to me since I do not read Japanese. All of the FF and DQ games are under 500yen in nice shape as loose carts.

There are tons of, "junk" bins with 50-200yen games. Usually roughed up but after cleaning them I have gotten every game to work.

Thinking of posting pics of my collection this weekend. Mine's not necessarily the most fancy, but I'm happy with the games I own. I don't have any in-box SNES games, just SFC stuff.

Lucky to own Wild Guns and Hagane though :D

Xeno_V

Regarding prices for SFC games in Japan take a look at the pics below, I bought most of the games myself from Akihabara back in 2008 (you can see most of the price tags). I thought they were definitely cheap, I am wondering if they are still on the cheap side. I already had most of the games for my SNES (carts only mostly) so in the end I had a change of mind and last year I sold the SFC games and decided to continue my collection of NTSC/US and PAL games. It took quite some time in order to sell the SFC games and some SNES games in order to buy them again with boxes/manuals etc (and some extra money of course), but I would like to believe that I did the right thing, after all I 'd rather have the localized versions of my favorite games.

By the way I think that the SNES market in Europe is much more expensive than the US one, things in eBay are getting out of hand lately, and it is quite harder to come up with any good alternatives in most countries.

GulAtiCa

I've said the same thing a few times. May you have much stronger willpower than me!

The worst part is, other then using my own money, I'm also taking advantage of Paypal's "Bill me later". So not actually having to have the money immediately makes my impulse to buy greater. lol But I should wait anyways, as need to pay it down a tiny bit. (even if I have technically 6 months, better to chip away at it)

Screw the new games! I want the classics. :p

Agreed Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us are the only new games that I have a remote interest in this year. I'm sure that'll change once the new hotness comes out but games of old have a quality and charm to them that are nearly impossible to find nowadays.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
yeah can get it loose for about 2-3 bucks although those players choice ones are pretty cheap as well got mine for $8 could just buy another one of those and open that

Parallacs

The worst part is, other then using my own money, I'm also taking advantage of Paypal's "Bill me later". So not actually having to have the money immediately makes my impulse to buy greater. lol But I should wait anyways, as need to pay it down a tiny bit. (even if I have technically 6 months, better to chip away at it)

Paypal's "Bill me Later" is taking advantage of you. lol just be careful.

OreoKraickerz

Neo Member
I feel the exact same way. I'm glad I'm not alone.

I don't want to derail this into an old vs new discussion but I have to say it's just so nice plopping in an old classic, tearing through it for the umpteenth time (or even the first in some cases), and getting the feeling that it's just as good as it always was. I'd much rather drop $60 on a game I know I'll love rather than taking a $60 and 30-50 hour gamble on something that might be good that I'll probably be disappointed by anyway since I'm a jaded old jerk.

Sushigod7

I don't want to derail this into an old vs new discussion but I have to say it's just so nice plopping in an old classic, tearing through it for the umpteenth time (or even the first in some cases), and getting the feeling that it's just as good as it always was. I'd much rather drop $60 on a game I know I'll love rather than taking a $60 and 30-50 hour gamble on something that might be good that I'll probably be disappointed by anyway since I'm a jaded old jerk.

lol I've been thinking the same thing lately. I'm just looking back and thinking what stuff did I miss out on that I would love to have now etc. So many N64, SNES and GBA games. I'm going to start concentrating my efforts there.

That's actually a smart way to look at it, especially when you're dropping a lot of money lol

Seriously though, if it's something you'll play and never get tired of, spending the same amount of money you would on a game today that you'll play once and put on a shelf/trade in isn't such a big deal.

Mode8

Banned
Here's a find a made a few years ago at a local thrift shop:

lot.jpg

$75 for that lot. All the games were mint with plastic bags and dust covers still on the games.

GulAtiCa

This listing has the most beat up cartridge I've ever seen.

Really disgraceful.....how does this even happen lol
I'm almost afraid to ask what the brown stuff is. :lol
I like how he didn't even feel the need to at least wash it off before putting up an auction of it.
Edit: Oh yeah. I remember that auction, it's the guy with the hundred SNES and PSX systems!

Here's a find a made a few years ago at a local thrift shop:

lot.jpg

$75 for that lot. All the games were mint with plastic bags and dust covers still on the games.
Nice! I hope to find a find like that one day.

Jhriad

I guess I should have been more clear! New games=new (used) SNES games for your collection!

Oh, but then I'd still run into the display problem. Something about the lonely cartridges irks me. They feel wrong. Truth is when I'm collecting I try to get two copies, a cheaper, usable copy, and the more pristine copy simply for collecting purposes. Made collecting comics an even more expensive hobby.

Leonsito

I have a wishlist of games I want for the SNES since a few years, and I always end looking for friends of friends who want to gift me their old games. Trying to buy something retro related to videogames in Spain is a joke, prices are off the chart, everyone thinks everything is vintage and everygame has to cost 30€ or more, fucking ridiculous.

You guys don't know how much I envy you when I see those amounts of games got in garage sales or thrift stores :(

Asparagus

Would some help me get a NTSC SNES? I'm based in the UK and would love to own a NTSC SNES. PM if you're interested.

There's a few on eBay UK right now. They won't go cheap though.

Your best bet is to head over to Nintendoage and put up an ad in the wanted section. Try to buy one with some games to offset shipping.

Awwwww yeaaaaah!

uyIZj4K.jpg

CIB with the Killer Cuts disc, thanks Goldenpp72! :D

I still have my Killer Cuts CD, it's so cheesy lol, I love it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Oh, but then I'd still run into the display problem. Something about the lonely cartridges irks me. They feel wrong. Truth is when I'm collecting I try to get two copies, a cheaper, usable copy, and the more pristine copy simply for collecting purposes. Made collecting comics an even more expensive hobby.
So you actually store the games in the boxes? If I did that I would literally never play them.. I baby my boxes too much, I wouldn't want to put any wear and tear on them beyond the first time I open the game. But consequently that means I keep my carts loose on the shelf, and that means buying a cart loose is ok and doesn't look out of place. The boxes are just trophies.

Top Bottom