• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

OK we will see, I found 4 for 500 yen each my first time there. Basically stay away from Super Potato for accessories...super expensive there.

If I can find a bunch of cheap SFC controllers in Tokyo I will bring a bunch back for you guys that want them.
I'd buy a pair.

Been curious about the 1 Chip revision thing, and so I came across this. You guys put much stock in this stuff? According one of the guys in this thread, the SNES mini is actually the box to get because all of them use the 1 Chip and you won't have to stalk serial numbers. I always considered it inferior because it lacks s-video. (This guy also modded his mini for RGB, though.)

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-38581.html

Another great Mega Man X just went up on ebay:

YgANKDg.png

Seriously, what the fuck did people do to their MMXs?

Another great Mega Man X just went up on ebay:

YgANKDg.png

Seriously, what the fuck did people do to their MMXs?

I just don't understand how people mistreat stuff like this.

I guess everyone is raised differently but man I still have my NES games from when I was 6 years old and they still look damn good.

It's weird how certain games seem to be in the shittiest condition. I've found SMW2: Yoshi's Island is a bitch to find in solid condition (not counting super expensive prices).

Meesh

Ok, I've put this off long enough.

Here's my meager collection. It's a work in progress.
(Click pics for full versions)
You're doing so much better than me!! When I started reading this thread, that's when I knew I had to get back into getting all these treasures I had lost years ago. I'm starting from scratch, but it's cool cuz it makes finding a good deal that much sweeter :) Speaking of which, you did pretty good with that Chrono Trigger in getting a copy with a box as decent looking as that, jealous lol.
If I can find a bunch of cheap SFC controllers in Tokyo I will bring a bunch back for you guys that want them.
Buddy sign me up!! I'll buy a couple off ya :)

BY2K

Membero Americo
There's a good condition copy of MMX in a store near work.

129,99$

:/

In other news, I got a copy if Killer Instinct Gold.

Finally just got a mint copy of Indiana Jones Greatest Adventures for a decent price!

Somehow I've gone my entire life never playing this game, how is it?

Sushigod7

So for a long time I've not paid much attention to Earthbound I never played it and it was so expensive I never wanted to buy it. But damnit I just watched a good portion of the beginning and looks amazing. So many little details and awesome dialog. Ughhh By the way I think this thread is causing SNES prices to go through the roof ebay pricing on basic consoles seem to be getting higher and higher.

Olly88

I know certain games don't work too well (or maybe at all) with certain converters, does anyone know of any guide or info that says which ones have problems?

I have a PAL SNES, so obviously want one to play NTSC and NTSC-J games, thanks.

As before I was wondering if my EarthBound was fake, but it's actually real! I am happy again. I am yet to open it up but the label information I was reading seems confirmation enough. Also, I can't believe I didn't pull the trigger on that $30 Sparkster earlier. >:

Also, people really love to ruin their Mega Man X labels.

Parallacs

Here is my collection:

..and the crown jewel:

pYBkDs6.jpg

I actually built most of this collection about 6 years ago when prices were still pretty reasonable. Chrono Trigger did set me back a pretty penny when I bought it, but I actually saw a loose cartridge this morning for $10 less than what I paid for the CIB copy.

I also picked up a 32" Sony Trinitron Wega (4:3 non HD) for free this weekend. Patiently awaiting my RGB SCART cables and SCART->YUV converter for retro gaming goodness.

Nice! I feel like eventually I should get CIB for Chrono Trigger. It used to be something of a badge for SNES collectors back in the mid 2000s. There are more valuable items now but it is still one of the coolest things to get.

So for a long time I've not paid much attention to Earthbound I never played it and it was so expensive I never wanted to buy it. But damnit I just watched a good portion of the beginning and looks amazing. So many little details and awesome dialog. Ughhh By the way I think this thread is causing SNES prices to go through the roof ebay pricing on basic consoles seem to be getting higher and higher.

Hopefully the prices go down as it gets closer to summer time.

Parallacs

Finally just got a mint copy of Indiana Jones Greatest Adventures for a decent price!

Somehow I've gone my entire life never playing this game, how is it?

HARD AS HELL.

If you've played Super Empire Strikes Back, it is sorta similar in terms of difficulty. I remember there is one part where you have to catch up to a car and get in a fistfight with a nazi. I probably had to do that part a hundred times. And the lost arc alone is a 20 minute endurance run of health desperation.

But if you get stuck, you can start guessing passwords, there are only like 24 combinations (or you can use something called the internet).

Overall it is a great game. They really went all out with graphics.

Olly88

Can Mega Man X be played without needing to be able to read the language that the game is in? Just wondering in case I ever see any good deals on any non-English European versions.

I'm going to guess not, but you never know :)

GulAtiCa

Sure. There isn't much of a dialog, and when there is, there isn't any choices to be made other then "continue". So you can easily play without understanding. At least for Mega Man X.

Teknoman

Sure. There isn't much of a dialog, and when there is, there isn't any choices to be made other then "continue". So you can easily play without understanding. At least for Mega Man X.

Its pretty much like that for X3 as well. Really any action game that doesnt have much in the way of RPG elements.

anyone remember the name of that snes game that's supposed to be releasing soon? There was a thread about it not too long ago, I can't find it though

Seik

Banned
Nice! I feel like eventually I should get CIB for Chrono Trigger. It used to be something of a badge for SNES collectors back in the mid 2000s. There are more valuable items now but it is still one of the coolest things to get.

For me it still is today, I look at the box and stuff and it feels like it's the pinnacle of my collection. Even a CIB Earthbound wouldn't beat it, well, at least for me. :p

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
For me it still is today, I look at the box and stuff and it feels like it's the pinnacle of my collection. Even a CIB Earthbound wouldn't beat it, well, at least to me. :p

I'm in the CIB Chrono club too... *high fives*

The_Afroman

It really goes to show how much the US market is marking up these games.. You can buy Rockman X 1-3 and MM7 for the price of 1 copy of MMX2..

I know i can just get a FAQ to tell me the story.. or a translation guide.. Not worth paying 350 bucks to own mmx 1-3

It really goes to show how much the US market is marking up these games.. You can buy Rockman X 1-3 and MM7 for the price of 1 copy of MMX2..

I know i can just get a FAQ to tell me the story.. or a translation guide.. Not worth paying 350 bucks to own mmx 1-3

Yea, it's pretty crazy. It's funny too since the best one is the cheapest one.

At the very least get a cart of MMX, since it can be had for $20-30.

Games like X2 and X3, I would still love to have, but only for a somewhat reasonable price.

BocoDragon

It's not necessarily unfair markup, though. Supply and demand.

Take the North America SNES. In USA+Canada+Mexico there are nearly 500 million people. Japan has only 125 million people. And in many cases for these SNES games, they actually got more copies! Plus there probably are more collector/hoarder types outside of Japan (since they have less space... hoarding has been called "a North American disease" after all, just because we have the space to hoard :p)

So basically it's not necessarily that sellers are more of a ripoff here... it's that there literally are less copies sought by far more people.

It's not necessarily markup, though. Supply and demand.

Take the North America SNES. In USA+Canada+Mexico there are nearly 500 million people. Japan has only 125 million people. And in many cases for these SNES games, they actually got more copies! Plus there probably are more collector/hoarder types outside of Japan (since they have less space... hoarding has been called "a North American disease" after all, just because we have the space to hoard :p)

So basically it's not necessarily that sellers are more of a ripoff here... it's that there literally are less copies sought by far more people.

Yup, not to mention the demand among Europeans for certain U.S. games that never came out there, like Chrono Trigger.

Into

I really want to own a boxed copy of Link to the Past, PAL.

Was wondering if i buy the German version, it is still English text right? Just the box art is probably in German?

Already own the GBA LTTP English version but i want the original

BocoDragon

Hold up, Europeans never got Chrono Trigger? I really feel sorry for them now...

They never got FFIV or VI on SNES either. I mean.... WOW.

Some of the holes in their history make me weep.... that, along with the way PAL abused the timing, music and graphics of American and Japanese console games ....

If North America hadn't gotten Xenoblade, Last Story and Pandora's Tower, i would have personally been upset, but I thought it would have been karmically balanced for the way they got the short end of the stick back in the day :p

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
They never got FFIV or VI on SNES either. I mean.... WOW.

Some of the holes in their history make me weep.... that, along with the way PAL abused the timing, music and graphics of American and Japanese console games ....

If North America hadn't gotten Xenoblade, Last Story and Pandora's Tower, i would have personally been upset, but I thought it would have been karmically balanced for the way they got the short end of the stick back in the day :p

Dammit man we're right here in the room :mad:

Top Bottom