• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Linkhero1

I guess I should have been more clear! New games=new (used) SNES games for your collection!

Ohhh :p

Here's a find a made a few years ago at a local thrift shop:

lot.jpg

$75 for that lot. All the games were mint with plastic bags and dust covers still on the games.

I don't normally say this about video games but damn that's sexy.

Teknoman

Went ahead and posted my sealed xenoblade for decent condition cart only trade in the gaf bst thread. Heres hiping, since xenoblade seems to go up in value every other day. Sealed NA anyway.
At the point where i wouldnt complain if the cart label was a little scuffed up.

GulAtiCa

These came in the mail today:
SNES, Super Caesar's Palace, Super Metroid, and Wipeout 64.
My main SNES with the S-Video is in my bed room, and this one with a composite cable will replace it's old position downstairs on the big screen.

Olly88

Just got this from eBay. It was £47.99, and it's not in perfect shape (not too bad though) and has no instructions, but... it's Super Metroid! I'm just glad I finally have it and get to play it.

I really must stop buying any games for a while though and save some money. I say it every time but I think Super Metroid is a good point to stop for a while.

OreoKraickerz

Neo Member
So I picked up Lufia 2 the other day and I've never played it or the original. Should I track down the original and go through that first or does it matter much?

Olly88

I don't know if anyone here knows this trick, but if an eBay listing doesn't have a large/zoom option for an image, copy the image URL, and change the number at the end to 10.

EG:

Change this;
Code:
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Super-Metroid-Super-Nintendo-1994-Box-Only-/00/s/MTIyNFgxMzgw/z/7qoAAOxyD5pRIdpa/$(KGrHqZ,!g4FEOqsND,gBRIdpZv2J!~~60_12.JPG

to this;
Code:
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Super-Metroid-Super-Nintendo-1994-Box-Only-/00/s/MTIyNFgxMzgw/z/7qoAAOxyD5pRIdpa/$(KGrHqZ,!g4FEOqsND,gBRIdpZv2J!~~60_10.JPG

I've found it very useful for checking any scuffs and marks on boxes. I don't know if it works on all listings/images but it usually does for me.

So I picked up Lufia 2 the other day and I've never played it or the original. Should I track down the original and go through that first or does it matter much?

Speaking of the first Lufia, I saw a boxed copy with the manual at my local game store today for $40. It was in decent shape, but I passed since I already own a complete copy.

beanman25

With eBay not being an option, what are the best places I can get SFC games from? More specifically I want the super bomberman games (In japanese)

On a side note: Had no clue Super Metroid cart only was worth $40 or so. Got it from my friend along with Clue and Mechwarrior 2020 (or 20 something), for 5 bucks 2 years ago. It's in pristine shape too!

I just tested 30 of the SNES games I bought this weekend (DAMN YOU THREAD!
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
). Anyway, I can't get 3 of them to work at all after cleaning the contacts and such. It really sucks that I the places I bought them at are 3 hours away. :|

I just tested 30 of the SNES games I bought this weekend (DAMN YOU THREAD!
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
). Anyway, I can't get 3 of them to work at all after cleaning the contacts and such. It really sucks that I the places I bought them at are 3 hours away. :|

I've had to clean some really bad ones a few times before they came back to life. If you have a tool to open the carts, I'd do that so you can really scrub away in there.

-KRS-

Did you open up the carts and run a soft eraser over the pins, rubbing off the dirt? That usually fixes the tough ones for me. You just don't get enough force with only a q-tip. You need to open it up so you can really get in there and rub away with something. I use an eraser as mentioned but make sure it's soft. Then I dip a q-tip in isopropyl alcohol and run it over the pins a few times to remove any excess rubber.

Also when you use the eraser, make sure you don't break the PCB! :p
Take it out of the cartridge and put it on a folded kitchen towel. Then use the eraser on the pins with the pins resting against the towel.

E: Ah beaten.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Just got this from eBay. It was £47.99, and it's not in perfect shape (not too bad though) and has no instructions, but... it's Super Metroid! I'm just glad I finally have it and get to play it.

I really must stop buying any games for a while though and save some money. I say it every time but I think Super Metroid is a good point to stop for a while.
Does the PAL version really go for that much? My SFC version was way less than that :/

Olly88

Does the PAL version really go for that much? My SFC version was way less than that :/

Yep. I searched for completed listings and found quite a lot of cartridge only ones had sold for around £30-£40. Boxed ones are going from around £50 up to over £100, depending on whether they're complete and/or the big box version obviously.

Jackano

Really not bad. I've been looking in retro games shops around here (Paris) for a couple years and I noticed a huge bump in prices in the SNES games market.
For a long time (5-10 years ago), loose PAL cardridge were 10€. Then I started to see some games like Super Metroid for 20€, once again, I'm talking about only the cardridge!

And since about 2 years, the regular price is more 30€, for games with a little appeal of course (Super Metroid example again, but also Super Mario World, etc..).
Now the crazy thing, since the beginning of this year, I started to see carts only for 60€. Bam, no less for your regular A Link to the Past or Secret of Mana which are probably the most researched games for people in Europe who want to start their retrogames collection.
Now, I understand I'm looking in the most famous retro games shops, and they sell easily this stuff, even at this price. But my point is, the trend is here.

Really not bad. I've been looking in retro games shops around here (Paris) for a couple years and I noticed a huge bump in prices in the SNES games market.
For a long time (5-10 years ago), loose PAL cardridge were 10€. Then I started to see some games like Super Metroid for 20€, once again, I'm talking about only the cardridge!

And since about 2 years, the regular price is more 30€, for games with a little appeal of course (Super Metroid example again, but also Super Mario World, etc..).
Now the crazy thing, since the beginning of this year, I started to see carts only for 60€. Bam, no less for your regular A Link to the Past or Secret of Mana which are probably the most researched games for people in Europe who want to start their retrogames collection.
Now, I understand I'm looking in the most famous retro games shops, and they sell easily this stuff, even at this price. But my point is, the trend is here.

Yea, it's crazy.

I remember last year around this time, Secret of Mana was going for $18-$22.

Six months later, a user here on the B/S/T thread listed some SNES/N64 games for sale. One of them being, a near complete in box Secret of Mana for $25-$30. So I bought it and a few other games from him.

A few days later he messaged me saying I swindled him as he had looked up the prices for SoM on Ebay/Amazon and it was going for considerably more then. I was shocked myself seeing the going rates. Of course he was quoting absurd buy it nows, but still.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I just wanted to say it is absolutely shocking to me how much regular old Super Nintendo games cost these days. I am glad I only collect Famicom stuff.

Leonsito

I was in Paris last year, my gf thought it was going to be a romantic trip, but the first thing I did was going to all the shops in Boulevard Voltaire.

My favorite was Maxxi-Games, I bought half a dozen NES games way more cheap than they are in Spain.

Jackano

I was in Paris last year, my gf thought it was going to be a romantic trip, but the first thing I did was going to all the shops in Boulevard Voltaire.

My favorite was Maxxi-Games, I bought half a dozen NES games way more cheap than they are in Spain.

Ahah, indeed that's exactly what I was talking about!
Maxxi games is very famous, and was precisely one of the shop I was refering to!
I believe you can find videos of the shop on youtube for people who want to see.

Recall

My SNES has been sat in my garage in a non suitable box and the game carts have gotten mouldy :( I've cleaned what I can but need some cleaning fluid for the contacts, which is considered the one to get or what type of cleaning alcohol should I try and find?

I'm in the UK so no idea if that limits my choices of cleaning materials but thought it worth mentioning. Cheers.

Michan

I've recently started building up an assortment of SFC and SNES hw/sw, since I'm beginning to miss my little SNES collection (mostly thanks to this thread) which is overseas right now.

ikZyrDqSjm98g.jpg

Picked up a Super NES and SFC. The Super NES is "modified" (tabs yanked out) to play SFC games.

That controller in the foreground is for the Sharp SF-1 (a TV that has a slot for SFC games in the top), which isn't pictured. Unlike regular SFC controllers, the cables are as long as SNES controller cables. Also, there isn't a model number on the back of it like usual.

In the SFC you can see a Nintendo Power cartridge that you could buy and install full games onto from convenience stores across Japan – pre-download cards!

iblPcpVys2ZnfA.jpg

I cleaned up this Super Famicom Box as much as I could, soldered in a battery compartment, and removed the tabs from the key slot so that the mode can be toggled.

The SFC Box is unique in that it has separated composite output, TV in/out, two power outlets, save storage to the unit rather than cartridges, an optional coin slot, controllers with insanely long cables, and custom boot/game select screens.

You can see the game select screen in the background. This unit contains two cartridges, each almost as big as a regular Super NES. There are apparently two other cartridges in the wild, each containing two games.

iVrFrayq4h4Ud.jpg

Also recently picked up Earthbound, Mega Man X2, and Mega Man X3. The 3 combined cost about $250, and also included the US SNES and Mario World.

I'll post some more pictures of pickups before the end of the week!

Here is another video in the recommended pickups for SNES/SFC collectors:
Sunset Riders: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkLFx_hRxVA

Previous Videos in the series:
X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6ETMQUMZ04
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhRK6w0Psco
S.O.S./Septentrion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGB67bCy914
Battletoads in Battlemaniacs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNYEaBV28zQ
Super Ghouls'n Ghosts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jITVcXlPORs
Super Back to the Future II (SFC): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76cC5eC8E7Q
Umihara Kawase (SFC): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqw7JsrddQc
Final Fight Guy (SFC): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STOVRiaozrQ
Sonic Blast Man II: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKS-vFnwANA
Secret of Mana (First 30 minutes): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP0iYHVrEQM

Jhriad

I just wanted to say it is absolutely shocking to me how much regular old Super Nintendo games cost these days. I am glad I only collect Famicom stuff.

If you look at the last 2-3 years of online price trends NES & SNES games have been seeing pretty steady inflation whereas before prices remained mostly stable.

I've had to clean some really bad ones a few times before they came back to life. If you have a tool to open the carts, I'd do that so you can really scrub away in there.

How appropriate that I'm quoting you, but I have a copy of Batman on FC that I have never been able to bring back to life, even after popping the cart shell and taking an eraser to it. Same with a HuCard of Final Lap Twin for PCE, which is the first time I've ever seen a janked up PCE game.

Did you open up the carts and run a soft eraser over the pins, rubbing off the dirt? That usually fixes the tough ones for me. You just don't get enough force with only a q-tip. You need to open it up so you can really get in there and rub away with something. I use an eraser as mentioned but make sure it's soft. Then I dip a q-tip in isopropyl alcohol and run it over the pins a few times to remove any excess rubber.

Also when you use the eraser, make sure you don't break the PCB! :p
Take it out of the cartridge and put it on a folded kitchen towel. Then use the eraser on the pins with the pins resting against the towel.

E: Ah beaten.

I will gave to pick up an eraser on the way home from work.

Linkhero1

I'm pretty sure it's been asked a dozen time but what are peoples' opinions on repo carts?

I can gladly vouch on how amazing Sunset Riders is, but the price has only gone up for it the past few years. I just checked and it's up to $50 (it was 25-30 a few years back).

I'm holding off buying it until I can find it for a bit cheaper =/

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
My SNES has been sat in my garage in a non suitable box and the game carts have gotten mouldy :( I've cleaned what I can but need some cleaning fluid for the contacts, which is considered the one to get or what type of cleaning alcohol should I try and find?

I'm in the UK so no idea if that limits my choices of cleaning materials but thought it worth mentioning. Cheers.

I use Deoxit on mine. works great. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006LVEU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm pretty sure it's been asked a dozen time but what are peoples' opinions on repo carts?

I don't know I asked about peoples opinion on Time Walk repro carts and to see if anyone had any experience with them and no one replied to me, I think.

Nintendo Age has a list of trusted repro dealers. I've been avoiding posting the link because it's a gray area, but it's a pretty easy google search.

Personally, I plan to buy some repros next month.

Here's an interesting video about cleaning yellowed systems

GulAtiCa

Good idea, I ordered one. I also opened up one of my SNES controller to clean it. Works better now, though the A button is a little sensitive on where it's pressed. So I just bought another colored SNES controller. Since I have 2 SNES systems now, would be better to have 3 total.

plc268

Seriously, eraser and alcohol isn't going to do squat for problem games that have heavily tarnished pins.

Use this stuff.

Take a qtip and put a small amount on the pins. Take a few more clean qtips and wipe off until shiny. The game will work like brand new.

Seriously, eraser and alcohol isn't going to do squat for problem games that have heavily tarnished pins.

Use this stuff.

Take a qtip and put a small amount on the pins. Take a few more clean qtips and wipe off until shiny. The game will work like brand new.

Where do you get that stuff?

Bog

Junior Ace
Can't believe the jump in price for Earthbound the last 6 weeks. $160 to about $240 for the cart alone on eBay.

Top Bottom