• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Hold up, Europeans never got Chrono Trigger? I really feel sorry for them now...

They also didn't get Kirby's Dream Land 3, E.V.O., Breath of Fire, Aero Fighters, Earthbound, Lufia 1, Final Fantasy II & III, Super Mario RPG, Spike McFang, Ys III, Ninja Gaiden Trilogy, Ogre Battle, Final Fight Guy, Metal Warriors, The Ignition Factor, Mega Man Soccer, just about every single Koei game, and....Gradius III(oddly enough).

And what do all of these games have in common? They're all relatively pricey nowadays...save for Gradius III, of course.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
They also didn't get Kirby's Dream Land 3, E.V.O., Breath of Fire, Aero Fighters, Earthbound, Lufia 1, Final Fantasy II & III, Super Mario RPG, Spike McFang, Ys III, Ninja Gaiden Trilogy, Ogre Battle, Final Fight Guy, Metal Warriors, The Ignition Factor, Mega Man Soccer, just about every single Koei game, and....Gradius III(oddly enough).

And what do all of these games have in common? They're all relatively pricey nowadays...save for Gradius III, of course.

Not even Super Mario RPG??? Damn. I feel North American guilt.

shaneskim

Yup. EU got stiffed back in the day although I managed to find FF3 boxed no instructions in a shoe repair shop whilst I was visiting my family in Bedford. £5!!!!!

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
At how much am I looking at for a loose Mega Man X US?

Not even Super Mario RPG??? Damn. I feel North American guilt.

That's not the main reason you should feel sorry for them... up until the Dreamcast era (but still some PS2 games..) European console games were all slowed down (60hz to 50hz conversion) and had pretty huge black borders top and bottom of the screen, often squishing the picture.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
That's not the main reason you should feel sorry for them... up until the Dreamcast era (but still some PS2 games..) European console games were all slowed down (60hz to 50hz conversion) and had pretty huge black borders top and bottom of the screen, often squishing the picture.

Yup.. I know.. What a tragedy.

Shining

As a kid in PAL land you could only dream of importing FF3 or Chrono Trigger. You read all about them in magazines and were drooling over those screenshots. The pain :(
Regarding 50/60hz, as a kid you really didn't bother. Ignorance is bliss. Today i don't own a single 50hz game.

Man, I spent way too much on SNES games this weekend thanks to this thread. :p Once I get them all cleaned up and such I think I will post pictures of my haul.

GulAtiCa

Sadly. I think the belief at that time was that Europeans just didn't care about RPGs.

But they did get Terranigma. And The Firemen, Parodius and Super Bomberman 3.

As Soul Blazer being in my top 5 of all time games, always makes me kind of sad that this game has never been released in the States. I'll get it one day.

iso135

Found Zombies Ate My Neighbors loose cart in real nice condition at a local pawn shop for $7. Pretty excited about that.

Bought DKC loose cart in nice condition for $14. Not too bad because I really wanted it.

Man, I spent way too much on SNES games this weekend thanks to this thread. :p Once I get them all cleaned up and such I think I will post pictures of my haul.
Honestly, I'd prefer if we stop posting 'collection pics.' It makes this thread a bit too much of a neckbeard/manbaby expo, in my opinion.

Honestly, I'd prefer if we stop posting 'collection pics.' It makes this thread a bit too much of a neckbeard/manbaby expo, in my opinion.

I enjoy the collection pics and this is the relevant thread for them. I have no idea what you mean about the second part there.

Sadly it's just the same price. So I might as well get the real legit version. Will need a PAL SNES as well. lol. But as a collector, I'd rather have the real version anyways.

Gotcha. I have no qualms about going repro, which I plan to do once my budget rolls over. But I'm also looking to get some translations too.

Linkhero1

Remaining games I need for my collection:

• Breath of Fire
  • Breath of Fire II
  • Lufia
  • Lufia 2
  • Demon's Crest
  • Sunset Riders
  • Wild Guns (LOL :( )
  • Super Double Dragon
  • Double Dragon V
  • Castlevania Dracula X
  • Act Raiser
  • Super Bomberman
  • R-Type III

There are some other run n gun games and shmup games I want but the ones I listed are my main focus.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME

I like the collection pictures, please allow them to continue. It's always interesting to see what condition things are.

Not gonna touch the insult with a ten foot pole, however.

Remaining games I need for my collection:

• Breath of Fire
  • Breath of Fire II

There are some other run n gun games and shmup games I want but the ones I listed are my main focus.

Are you looking to trade? I have both of these games. Here's my list of interests:

Super Metroid
Soulblazer
Super Mario RPG
Actraiser
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
U.N. Squadron

Linkhero1

Are you looking to trade? I have both of these games. Here's my list of interests:

Super Metroid
Soulblazer
Super Mario RPG
Actraiser
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
U.N. Squadron

If I had extra copies of those games I wouldn't mind trading but I don't have any at the moment. :(

I'd buy them off you in a few weeks if you're still willing to let them go :p

Krelian

I really want to own a boxed copy of Link to the Past, PAL.

Was wondering if i buy the German version, it is still English text right? Just the box art is probably in German?

Already own the GBA LTTP English version but i want the original
No, it's German text only. Sorry.

depths20XX

Got a few more pickups from a local place last weekend.

BlaZeon - $5 Someone on here said they liked this shmup a lot and it's pretty cool how it has the ship stealing mechanic that was later in G. Darius. Gonna have to play this one more for sure.

Earth Defense Force - $5 I put some time in this one and it's definitely worth the cheap price.

Magic Sword - $8

Also, I played through ActRaiser over the weekend since I bought it last week and I have to say this game is really just mediocre. It's unique in it's premise with the action parts and then world building but that's about it. The platforming/action stages are really simple and the bosses are no challenge at all with magic. The world building parts are really boring and there no way you can fail at them. Boss rush at the end is the hardest part but still not too bad.

Another great Mega Man X just went up on ebay:

YgANKDg.png

Seriously, what the fuck did people do to their MMXs?

Man, mine was in its box for 15 years and looks brand new. That said, I played the hell out of it for a couple years when it first came out, and have been again for a couple of years. I can't imagine letting this shit happen to your games ;\

Man, mine was in its box for 15 years and looks brand new. That said, I played the hell out of it for a couple years, and have been again for a couple of years. I can't imagine letting this shit happen to your games ;\

Once, I was at a Funco Land(geez it was long ago, wasn't it?), and they kept all the best games in a drawer behind the register. I asked them which games they had, and among them was 'Secret of Mana'. I said, 'cool, I'll take it' and he put it in the bag.

of course, I bought it without checking it like a complete idiot. I didn't figure it out until I got all the way home and took it out of the bag and saw a completely torn label with the title of the game hand written in sharpie right on the front where the label was supposed to be.

It was like sticking your hand into a bag of spiders.

Parallacs

haha funcoland. I totally forgot that name.

I remember their laminated posters and binders that had the trade-in value for every NES and SNES game. They were all beteen 50 cents and a dollar max. So many kids lost their collections for one PS2 game.

Quackula

I bought Sunset Riders once because I confused it for Wild Guns for a moment and thought I was getting an awesome deal.

Sunset Riders turned out to be a great game all the same at least, but yeah.

haha funcoland. I totally forgot that name.

I remember their laminated posters and binders that had the trade-in value for every NES and SNES game. They were all beteen 50 cents and a dollar max. So many kids lost their collections for one PS2 game.

They had great trade in prices for rare stuff like Dragon Warrior 3/4 during the PS1 era. I think they were offering $35+ for games like that.

I bought Sunset Riders once because I confused it for Wild Guns for a moment and thought I was getting an awesome deal.

Sunset Riders turned out to be a great game all the same at least, but yeah.

Haha wow I've been confusing these games for the longest time now. I'm glad you posted this before I bought a copy of Sunset Riders and not Wild Guns.

plc268

Man, mine was in its box for 15 years and looks brand new. That said, I played the hell out of it for a couple years when it first came out, and have been again for a couple of years. I can't imagine letting this shit happen to your games ;\

Not only that, I recently peeled off the label for another game (don't worry, it was a sports game that I'm reusing the cart for), and peeling the label off isn't trivial. Just getting the label to start lifting up is a pain.

I know a lot of these carts took some abuse, but still.

Jhriad

This thread needs to stop getting bumped. Every time I see the thread I feel compelled to enter and then the collector's itch sets in. I hate you guys. *sifts through eBay some more*

I actually went thrift store shopping yesterday because of this thread. Seriously, why do you do this to me?

Quackula

This thread needs to stop getting bumped. Every time I see the thread I feel compelled to enter and then the collector's itch sets in. I hate you guys. *sifts through eBay some more*

Buy a bunch of super expensive stuff so you go broke.

Then you don't have to worry about buying more stuff.

GulAtiCa

Currently with 11 packages on the way, I'm going to take a break from buying stuff till they all arrive. (at least I say that in theory. lol) Then I'm going after Mega Man X2 & X3.

Top Bottom