• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Here's a But it Now for Zelda, $22.99. Little dirty, but if you just care about the game, not a bad price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Legend-of-Zelda-A-Link-to-the-Past-SNES-Super-Nintendo-1992-/140920465170?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item20cf83a712

So I'm still looking for a copy of Harvest Moon. If you have one and looking to sell/trade, please let me know as I have some decent SNES games to trade:

Secret of Mana
Secret of Evermore
Final Fantasy III
Super Castlevania IV
and some other common games.

All of my carts are in fantastic shape(FFIII has some yellowing on the back side).

Edit: It's so frustrating trying to find games like Harvest Moon, EVO, Hagane, etc. I'm kind of curious who here has a US cart of one of these games. Not for me to beg you to trade/sell me them, but just genuinely curious who here has these?

smbu2000

I think I have too many Super Famicoms...

P1010606_a_zps4b8de756.jpg

smbu2000

It looks like there are actually 2 video signals, rather than the standard 1 signal. It looks about as good as an emulated SNES game, except much better since it's on a tube TV!

They usually go for 3 - 400$ on Yahoo Auctions when they pop up, but I found this "junk" unit for 20. Apparently it didn't work, so I planned to mod an SFC into it, but after getting it home and trying it out, it worked perfectly! They probably tried a dodgy cartridge.

Wow, that's a pretty good price for that! I think I saw one that was listed as "junk" on YA JP, is that where you got it from?

I'm curious to see how they look. Pictures usually don't do them justice.

ys45

I dunno about the gameplay, but the SNES MMPR movie game's soundtrack is top notch.

That being said... SFC or SNES version for Castlevania IV?

I went for the SFC version simply because it is much cheaper if you want it CIB .
The box art is way better for the NA version tought ...

Michan

Wow, that's a pretty good price for that! I think I saw one that was listed as "junk" on YA JP, is that where you got it from?

I'm curious to see how they look. Pictures usually don't do them justice.

Yup, that's where this one came from. If people are interested, I'll post more pictures once it has been cleaned up. Are you near Tokyo?

Also, I just purchased an assortment of SFC carts from a shop that recently closed down, so I've got some duplicates all of a sudden. If anybody is interested in doing an exchange (either for JP or US games), then please drop me a PM!

I'm looking to sell/exchange:
• Dragon Quest V
• Dragon Quest VI
• Elfaria
• F-Zero
• Fatal Fury Special
• Final Fight 2
• Kirby Bowl
• Mario Paint
• Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2
• Star Fox
• Street Fighter 2
• Street Fighter 2 Turbo
• Super Donkey Kong 1 - 3
• Super Mario Kart
• Super Mario RPG
• Super Mario World
• Yoshi's Island

+ lots more which I haven't sorted yet. All are tested and many will have had their contacts cleaned. Publishers include Atlus, Enix, Capcom, Namco, Bandai, Square, Konami, Nintendo, Banpresto, SNK, Hudson, etc. Just let me know if you're interested!

-KRS-

Parallacs

An hour?! I bought the game a couple of weeks ago (never played it before) and I can barely even get past the half way point in the first stage! It's really brutal.

Haha, I mean I replay the first 10 seconds of the game over and over and give up after an hour! I think it is one of those games that you have to get used to not rushing in but take your time.

I think the better option is to put links in the quote so lurkers aren't stealing games when they get posted I wouldn't be surprised if that is happening on a lot of these. Can we all agree to not post in the wide open?

Yeah, I can post deals in quote, but a lurker will still see that there is an eBay alert for something and try to manually find it. Gotta be fast.

Also, I will only post BIN auctions. I don't want to link to bid auctions that some GAFfers are following privately. The last thing we want is to bid against each other.

Xeno_V

Now that people mentioned Super Ghouls and Ghosts, I am willing to exchange (and maybe sell) a complete copy of the game (NTSC, almost perfect condition). The thing is that I am in Europe, but if anyone is interested we can find a way to make it work. I am looking for complete PAL or NTSC/US games, mostly RPGs, but I would also consider anything else of value and/or quality.

OreoKraickerz

Neo Member
An hour?! I bought the game a couple of weeks ago (never played it before) and I can barely even get past the half way point in the first stage! It's really brutal.

The key to success in SGnG is arrows and the dagger. Also in having all of the stages memorized...

I played that game a lot as a kid.

Linkhero1

I kind of wish the VGA system didn't exist. I think it really caused prices to increase as well. In two years we'll probably see the price of loose carts double which is sad for anyone who's saving up to buy sometime down the line.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Edit: It's so frustrating trying to find games like Harvest Moon, EVO, Hagane, etc. I'm kind of curious who here has a US cart of one of these games. Not for me to beg you to trade/sell me them, but just genuinely curious who here has these?
I have Harvest Moon & EVO! Harvest Moon I bought from a video store that was clearing out their SNES stock when I was in high school. It was probably my greatest coup of all time. I got HM, Mega Man X2, X3, 7, and Uniracers for $10 total. I gave the Mega Man games to a friend for Christmas, which I greatly regret (since he was pretty much a dick to me constantly, he ended up keeping me from getting a deal on Chrono Trigger a few months later, and now they're ungodly expensive). But I still have HM & Uniracers. EVO I bought from a user here for $75 last year I think?

OreoKraickerz

Neo Member
I'm just happy I had the foresight to grab a bunch of SNES games about 6 years ago before it got out of control. There are really only a few more games I want and they're mostly action games so I can just pick up SFC versions.

This inflation shit is pretty irksome though. On the other hand, it is nice to know that if you spend a lot on a game and either don't like it or it really only warrants a single playthrough, it's usually easy to turn it around and at least make your money back.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
This inflation shit is pretty irksome though.
This basically sums it up for me. Some of the prices are just completely ridiculous. It does not help at all that there are so few places to get retro games, and even trolling Craigslist and the like is tough since it's full of scalpers. I used to work with this dick head who decided he'd start a "side job" of selling games on eBay. There was one local shop that sold retro stuff at the time, and he'd go in there every day and buy up anything decent they had. And then brag to me about all the sweet profits he was going to collect. Once he was bored of selling stuff, he started telling them eBay prices on shit and they'd ask him for pricing advice. lol.

Shortly after that we had a local chain of retro shops open up in town. They'd literally go over to the other place, buy stuff that was less than they sold it for, and drive down the street and mark it up. They price their stuff higher than eBay and constantly update prices, so there's pretty much zero deals to be had there for really old stuff.

I don't know, I feel much better buying stuff from someone on here than I do some guy on eBay or one of these stores in town. I still think the pricing has gotten way out of control, though.

depths20XX

Or maybe it's just a fad and when everyone get tired of playing Snes everything will go back to normal ? :p

I think a lot of the people buying the "must haves" for SNES right now are pretty likely to hold on to them for a long time. Everyone who grew up with SNES has money now. So basically I think most of these games will hold current value or more likely go up.

Honestly, it isn't just SNES game prices. Prices all across the board for classic games have dramatically risen, even extending to memorabilia, old game magazines, and other classic gaming-related paraphernalia.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Honestly, it isn't just SNES game prices. Prices all across the board for classic games have dramatically risen, even extending to memorabilia, old game magazines, and other classic gaming-related paraphernalia.

I was talking on another thread: Saturn S-Video Cables are going for 70 dollars.

SEVENTY DOLLARS. There's NOTHING special about them (except the 10 pin mini-dim connector, which is out of spec).

They were going for 8 dollars on PlayAsia in October.

Shit's crazy, man.

IrishNinja

^this, timing sucks right now. game magazines shot up (nintendo power ending didn't help, apparently) and though not nearly as bad, replacing my genesis collection cost me way more on average than i expected.

nostalgia/market speculation is really driving these things up, i'm wondering how recent a thing this is though? i wanna say halfway through this gen (like 08-09) you'd still get reamed on say Earthbound but i'd not at all expect to pay nearly $50 for a loose copy of Sunset Riders.

Chinner

Banned
even n64 stuff is rising, i saw a copy of RE2 for n64 go for £79!

better start investing in games that are still cheap, like mega drive/genesis or gameboy or dreamcast. all its gonna take is for the next generation to start for those to baloon in prices too.

When looking at completed auctions a lot of these games were going for significantly less 1-2 months ago. I wonder what caused the sudden significant increase in pricing.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
When looking at completed auctions a lot of these games were going for significantly less 1-2 months ago. I wonder what caused the sudden significant increase in pricing.
I noticed it when the vlogs about playing classic games started getting really popular, really. People were seeing all these games they missed (hell, me too!) and with the limited places to obtain copies, and a spike in demand, prices went up and stayed up.

Looking through prices for Dreamcast stuff makes me happy I have almost everything I want for it (135 down, 15 to go!) since prices are starting to creep up. Saturn and SNES, though, make me pretty sad.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
try and grab the good beat em ups before the prices start going up on them stuff like magic sword, king of dragons, knights of the round

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I know that Tetris Battle Gaiden disappears from eBay everytime Giantbomb has a SNES Stream.

It probably doubled in price in the past 6 months because of them alone.

Edit: There's a couple of complete boxed copies going for 40 bucks on ebay right now. They look pretty good!

ys45

try and grab the good beat em ups before the prices start going up on them stuff like magic sword, king of dragons, knights of the round

Knights of the round and KoD loose cart are going for over 50$

I managed to get CIB SFC version of KoD during Christmas for 50$ + Free shipping (this game is so good) but i think i got lucky.

Magic sword is still cheap tought i got SFC version for like 25$ CIB (about the same prices for NA version)

I just bought Final Fight on SNES for 17$ CIB (impulse buy) i wonder why this one is still cheap compared to Final Fight 2 .

I hope that a lot of the people who are jumping in right now will eventually get bored and move on to their next fad, and pour everything they've collected back into the market. There's actually a thread about this on the Nintendo Age forums because some members have noticed this happening on there with a good amount of the collectors jumping ship now.

I'd imagine once you reach the point where you really aren't playing the games any more, you're watching the prices climb and climb, you find something else you want to spend money on, it starts to get real tempting to just unload it all. Especially if you have collections worth thousands like a good amount of them do.

But, yeah, just seeing how much something like Earthbound has climbed up a good $40-60 in value the last couple months is insanity.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I just bought Final Fight on SNES for 17$ CIB (impulse buy) i wonder why this one is still cheap compared to Final Fight 2 .

I don't know how much this changes market value, but Final Fight 2 and 3 are SNES Exclusives, while Final Fight 1 isn't.

Also, Final Fight 1 isn't even a very good version of the game. I wonder if Final Fight Guy is more expensive as I'd guess it had a smaller print.

I don't know how much this changes market value, but Final Fight 2 and 3 are SNES Exclusives, while Final Fight 1 isn't.

Also, Final Fight 1 isn't even a very good version of the game. I wonder if Final Fight Guy is more expensive as I'd guess it had a smaller print.

Final Fight Guy is much, much more expensive, as it was a rental exclusive.

As much as it does suck to see all these great games going up in price, it does make the hunt even more exciting, and the eventual payoff when you find a game you're looking for at a great price even more rewarding.

depths20XX

Damn, I might have to fast track Knights of the Round to the top of my "To Buy" list. Had no idea it was rising in price.

I saw it for $30 at a local place. So you should be able to find it cheaper than $50. Thought about getting it but I'm really not a fan of beat 'em ups and I've played through it already.

Zing

Banned
My two latest acquisitions are King of Dragons and Mega Man X2. Both are complete in box, but I do not care for boxes. I just bought them compete to get the manuals.

Jhriad

nostalgia/market speculation is really driving these things up, i'm wondering how recent a thing this is though? i wanna say halfway through this gen (like 08-09) you'd still get reamed on say Earthbound but i'd not at all expect to pay nearly $50 for a loose copy of Sunset Riders.

Past 2-3 years if you look at the price trends. Before that prices were fairly stable for most things with a few things seeing gradual inflation. Sunset Riders was attainable for half it's current price in late 2011.

Zing

Banned
plok hasnt risen in price if you like solid platformers with amazing music could always go for that
Sure it has. Last summer it was a $5 eBay game. The cheapest one now is $15.

I'd say that prices for almost all SNES games have doubled since October. At that point, prices had already doubled since the year before.

Top Bottom