• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Boxed Actraiser went from $16 to $47 in 5 seconds. I thought my last second $22 bid would be legit lol.

Good to hear it was an auction, so the sell price is set by the actual market of bidders.

Thankfully, I never get rid of my video games, and I still have my used CIB ActRaiser I bought in 1995.

Watching this thread is fascinating. So many brand new people getting in, so much money being paid. This is crazier than I remember Atari or NES being.

Just because I know how mad this will make about 100 people who are reading this thread, I bought my CIB Final Fight Guy at FuncoLand in the late 90's for $15.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Watching this thread is fascinating. So many brand new people getting in, so much money being paid. This is crazier than I remember Atari or NES being.

Just because I know how mad this will make about 100 people who are reading this thread, I bought my CIB Final Fight Guy at FuncoLand in the late 90's for $15.
I kind of have a love/hate relationship with this thread because I think it's driving up prices :p otherwise I love the SNES love-in.

I kind of have a love/hate relationship with this thread because I think it's driving up prices :p otherwise I love the SNES love-in.

Eh, I think you're mistaking a symptom for the cause. SNES collecting is getting hot, this is evidence for how the market is expanding, not the cause of it -- there's probably a little bit of a virtuous cycle, but the number of people who've been bitten by the bug because of reading this thread is just a handful, and you need a lot more people to drive up prices.

Eh, I think you're mistaking a symptom for the cause. SNES collecting is getting hot, this is evidence for how the market is expanding, not the cause of it -- there's probably a little bit of a virtuous cycle, but the number of people who've been bitten by the bug because of reading this thread is just a handful, and you need a lot more people to drive up prices.

I was going to say this exactly.

Everyone should just stay away from Buy It Nows unless you check sold auction listings and feel the price is fair compared to them. Sadly I understand that if you really want something, there aren't many options left outside of ebay since most local places seem to be basing their prices on ebay. Just don't give in, wait for an auction or fair BIN. The fact that the cheapest Earthbound right now is $230 and it has a pretty torn up looking label is a fucking joke.

I was going to say this exactly.

Everyone should just stay away from Buy It Nows unless you check sold auction listings and feel the price is fair compared to them. Sadly I understand that if you really want something, there aren't many options left outside of ebay since most local places seem to be basing their prices on ebay. Just don't give in, wait for an auction or fair BIN. The fact that the cheapest Earthbound right now is $230 and it has a pretty torn up looking label is a fucking joke.

Case in point: CIB Super Ghouls n Ghosts seems to be listed for BIN $35+ right now. I won an auction for $22. Didn't even snipe it, just placed max bid $30. Auctions show the true market value of these games.

IrishNinja

^good call, ive had way more luck with reasonable prices on some open auctions vs BIN ones

Just curious do we have any other collecting threads like this one? Maybe a general collecting thread of some sort? I searched and found a GB/GBA one but that's the only one I saw.

as a sega fan, again we've got a lotta collection talk/pics up in the Genesis/Megadrive thread, and a ton of it in the Saturn one too...you guys are by no means alone in collecting & paying a premium for it right now, heh

Anyone experience the following with gradius 3?

I recently got it at a flea market, and when I turn it on a black screen with a grid of white lines appears for a couple seconds before switching to the konami screen. I've never seen anything like it, I thought it was a fake

GulAtiCa

Case in point: CIB Super Ghouls n Ghosts seems to be listed for BIN $35+ right now. I won an auction for $22. Didn't even snipe it, just placed max bid $30. Auctions show the true market value of these games.

Yeah auctions are the way to go. I recently started only filtering auctions. Also has a nice benefit of getting rid of those damn VGA sealed BIN auctions that are like $1000+ each..

inner-G

Banned

I recently got it at a flea market, and when I turn it on a black screen with a grid of white lines appears for a couple seconds before switching to the konami screen. I've never seen anything like it, I thought it was a fake
Yeah mine did that, I cleaned the cart contacts with alcohol and it worked.

Teknoman

Same here. Apparently its a carry over from the arcade game? I think its supposed to do the grid.

EDIT: Yeah it is.

I feel like a freakin' drug addict: tonight I found Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (complete) for $15 and Mega Man 7 for $10 (cart only, but pretty good label for a late SNES cart sans protective/glossy finish). This is of course going towards the pricier SNES carts my collection is missing...

This thread has made me paranoid that if I don't buy those $200 Mega Man X3s and Haganes RIGHT NOW, they'll be worth substantially more in the weeks/months to come... It's like I don't want to take the chance that it might not be a bubble after all. And I suspect we are a lot of thirtysomething guys in the same boat at the moment.

I feel like a freakin' drug addict: tonight I found Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (complete) for $15 and Mega Man 7 for $10 (cart only, but pretty good label for a late SNES cart sans protective/glossy finish). This is of course going towards the pricier SNES carts my collection is missing...

This thread has made me paranoid that if I don't buy those $200 Mega Man X3s and Haganes RIGHT NOW, they'll be worth substantially more in the weeks/months to come... It's like I don't want to take the chance that it might not be a bubble after all. And I suspect we are a lot of thirtysomething guys in the same boat at the moment.

Nice where did you find mega man?

It seems like a good idea to invest in 1 or 2 complete in box games. I bought super metroid complete last summer for $40 and now it goes for a lot more

Teknoman

I know what you mean (in the 20 something area though :p) but damn man, that is a steal. Radiant Dawn AND MM7 for that cheap?

I know what you mean (in the 20 something area though :p) but damn man, that is a steal. Radiant Dawn AND MM7 for that cheap?
Radiant Dawn at EB Games: they sell it $14.99 used in my neck of the woods. I found another one for $20 a couple weeks ago at the used CD store where I purchased MM7 today (they have a small cabinet of retro games; it's the only place I've found in the last 5 years or so that is oblivious to eBay prices; I got Adventures of Batman & Robin, UN Squadron, Battletoads in Battlemaniacs there for $5 + tax a couple of weeks or so - who knew Adv. of Batman & Robin rose up in price like that? I kept that one for the collection as I didn't own it already).

Luckily, I couldn't care less about boxes and instructions. I am a bit OCD usually (about condition and needing Canadian versions for Nintendo-published GameCube games and whatnot, for example), but I consciously blocked any interest in cardboard boxes from pre-GameCube systems (need the box for GBA/C games though). But I need clean labels.

I feel the same thing that is happening right now happened two years ago with the NES: the most playable/sought after/rare/collectable games like the late Taito releases, Bonk's Adventure, Duck Tales 2, Rescue Rangers 2, Kid Klown, Dragon Fighter, etc. etc. exploded in price. I paid $150, $100, $40, $80, $15 and $75 respectively for (perfectly mint) carts of Little Samson, Bubble Bobble 2, The Jetsons, Bonk's Adventure, Gun-Nac and Rescue Rangers 2 in July 2011; I felt bad at the time for paying so much, but I was putting the finishing touches to my collection (sadly, I should have bought Flintstones 2 and, to a lesser extent, Wacky Races at that moment too). Now, I am ''vindicated'', if you will, as the games are worth much, much more. This is what is driving me towards purchasing high-priced SNES games these past few weeks: the same thing that happened in 2011-2012 for rare/collectable NES games seems to be happening for the Super Nintendo, but on a larger scale (i.e. regarding a wider variety of titles).

Unfortunately for my wallet again, I also have my eye on four SNES repros... As you guys know, these aren't exactly cheap (I know, emulation/flash cart, etc. but I NEED to see a cart, lol). That's why I "need" to flip as much as I can!

MoxManiac

The soaring prices make me nervous about something happening to my more valuable snes games. I already had a soulblazer cart randomly die on me that i had to replace last year.

Zing

Banned
So with batteries, the more you save the more it's drained? Or is it just on a from time of production basis?
The SRAM is provided an extremely minute amount of power at all times. I was surprised at how little power it uses. The batteries likely lose more power from leakage over time than actual use. This is why batteries are 20-25 years old and still working. I have yet to come across a dead battery in a cart.

The number of saves or times you save have no bearing on battery life.

I downloaded a full set of Super Play magazine (47 issues) and its rather entertaining to read. It great to have a Super NES exclusive magazine. It's from the UK so there is a lot of talk regarding adapters and late game releases. The benefit is that the magazine is then forced to focus equally on the USA, Japan, and UK market. So, I read about games I've never heard of and see the transition from Japan release, to USA, to UK (which usually just gets a minor, late mention as the same game from another region has already been covered in an earlier issue). I've already added three games to my want list thanks to the magazine.

I'm tempted to buy a bunch more on eBay, but there is a relatively large video game swap meet nearby in a month, so I am trying to wait.

Super Play is a neat little magazine. A friend of mine gave me a copy back in the day (December 93, I think - lots of drooling over Secret of Mana in that issue). Must have been hard to make it a success though (isn't the UK Nintendo adverse in general?).

Teknoman

The SRAM is provided an extremely minute amount of power at all times. I was surprised at how little power it uses. The batteries likely lose more power from leakage over time than actual use. This is why batteries are 20-25 years old and still working. I have yet to come across a dead battery in a cart.

I downloaded a full set of Super Play magazine (47 issues) and its rather entertaining to read. It great to have a Super NES exclusive magazine. It's from the UK so there is a lot of talk regarding adapters and late game releases. The benefit is that the magazine is then forced to focus equally on the USA, Japan, and UK market. So, I read about games I've never heard of and see the transition from Japan release, to USA, to UK (which usually just gets a minor, late mention as the same game from another region has already been covered in an earlier issue). I've already added three games to my want list thanks to the magazine.

I'm tempted to buy a bunch more on eBay, but there is a relatively large video game swap meet nearby in a month, so I am trying to wait.

Ah cool, yeah i've had the good luck to have every cart I run into work.

The TG16 game is fun, but way too easy. Now the SNES game on the other hand, not so much. Though it's true the platforming is very basic, I find it so much fun that I don't even mind so much. But then, I'm more fond of the original 'Adventure Island' than it's cuter sequels. That's a tough motherfucking game.
I've never liked the Adventure Island series much at all, not since I first played one of the games... (the first one I played was Adventure Island for GB, I think). I don't know, the extreme simplicity isn't fun. I also hate the fact that you die in one hit, that is NOT fun. Sure you can get the skateboard, but that makes it harder to control. And then ify ou die in Super AI you go way back and it's a real pain, particularly with how subpar the gameplay is in general. As far as SNES Hudson platformers go, give me Super Bonk or Inspector Gadget any day. Those are much better games.

I do think that the original Wonder Boy is a better game than any of the Adventure Island games are; even though the first AI game is just a port of Wonder Boy, it's an inferior one. But it's Wonder Boy's sequels that I particularly like. Adventure Island (almost any of them) are overly simplistic and more often annoying than fun, but the Monster World games are great...

Amazon actually can be a great way to get a decent deal on a retro game.

Obviously I always look at the lowest prices and then contact the sellers if it's possible to get a pic or two and usually they are have to oblige.

I got Knights of the Round in mint condition for like $26. Not too bad.

I do wish they had a picture system in place though.
I would be great if Amazon had pictures, yeah. It's annoying that they don't.

I have both Capcom Classics Collection and they both are on Vol. 2. But of course I wanted the carts as well, damn collectors mentality haha.

King of Dragons is very good and while better than Knights of The Round, I still enjoy Knights.
But if a game is good, it might be worth getting on SNES too even if I have a collection version... like, Magic Sword for instance. Well worth getting (for cheap) for SNES. Knights of the Round, though? Yeah... likely not, and no way for the prices it's going for now. Maybe if it was like $5 or something, then I'd say sure, get it...

I generally dislike GBA ports from SNES. But sure enough, it does seem to be cheaper. I'll probably hold out for a cheap SFC copy...
The story would be in English on the GBA too, though given that it's Disney, I highly doubt that that matters.

I'm with you. At the very least, stop rewarding the high BIN listings. Make sellers list auctions with low starting bids so the actual market of bidders can determine the value.
Yeah. Unless it's some cable you really need and can't find locally so you get that from some $3 BIN auction or something, don't buy BIN, just don't. Wait for auctions.

As I've said before, I have a good six or eight SNES games with dead batteries. The only system I have more games for with dead batterise than the SNES is the Game Boy/GB Color, and there that's expected because handhelds use smaller batteries that are less likely to last a long time. I even have two N64 Controller Paks with dead batteries... yeah, these '90s batteries are definitely dying.

plc268

You'd think a repro of Final Fantasy V in english would be much cheaper than other repros.

Why? All repros (aside from something like Star Fox 2) take the same amount of effort to make.

Also, if you're gonna go the repro route, for the love of god, don't pay ebay prices for repros.

Teknoman

Why? All repros (aside from something like Star Fox 2) take the same amount of effort to make.

Also, if you're gonna go the repro route, for the love of god, don't pay ebay prices for repros.

Dunno, just assumed it wouldnt be in demand as much as Bahamut Lagoon of Treasures of the Rudra, so maybe it wouldnt cost as much? At any rate, I need to find a good reliable site, 60 bucks seems a little much, unless i'm just new to the repro scene. 40 seems like a good spot. Then again, the prices are with shipping factored in.

EDIT: Nevermind, OCD does their repro for 50 bucks with free shipping.

Fuck USPS. Mega Man X, Donkey Kong Country 2, and now Zelda have all arrived late in the last two weeks. They all left a town less than an hour away at like 5:30 in they morning the day the were supposed to be delivered, and not arrived that day. And it's Saturday, so obviously I won't be getting it tomorrow. I understand this happening from time to time, but three times in two weeks tells me there is something fucked up going on somewhere in the chain. Annoying.

Another part of the climbing prices is likely due to the current age of people who would have had an SNES as a child. 30-somethings working good jobs who have disposable income and a desire for buying toys. People with more money than time or more money than patience.

On lower priced games, some of the BIN prices are only $5 more than the going price. Is $5 worth my time, checking constantly, looking for new auctions, waiting on closing auctions? Probably not, unless part of the fun is also winning an auction.

The other aspect is collecting vs playing. I play all my games and I don't buy games just to own them. If it's a game I really want to play, like Super Metroid, eventually I'll get tired of waiting for a decent auction and just take the lowest BIN.

I've never liked the Adventure Island series much at all, not since I first played one of the games... (the first one I played was Adventure Island for GB, I think). I don't know, the extreme simplicity isn't fun. I also hate the fact that you die in one hit, that is NOT fun. Sure you can get the skateboard, but that makes it harder to control. And then ify ou die in Super AI you go way back and it's a real pain, particularly with how subpar the gameplay is in general. As far as SNES Hudson platformers go, give me Super Bonk or Inspector Gadget any day. Those are much better games.

I do think that the original Wonder Boy is a better game than any of the Adventure Island games are; even though the first AI game is just a port of Wonder Boy, it's an inferior one. But it's Wonder Boy's sequels that I particularly like. Adventure Island (almost any of them) are overly simplistic and more often annoying than fun, but the Monster World games are great...

I like the controls just fine. The games are indeed very, very hard as far as platformers go. And though they can sometimes be frustrating, the challenge is a large part of the fun for me.

What I like about the original AI is that even though it's the second game I ever owned for the NES(after 'Super Mario Bros.'), it can still provide an adequate challenge for me. Those damn later levels.....mmmm! But nothing is as thrilling or satisfying as getting your ass handed to you, getting pissed, and then kicking that game's ass right back.

I've yet to beat the game without using the Honey Bee trick...

Someday.

Just got some SFC copies of Super Metroid and Contra Spirits (Contra 3). Super Metroid is entirely in English (or Japanese; there's a toggle), which is nice, and the SFC version of Contra seems to have unlimited continues, which I need.

Mzo

Ain't that the truth? These types of games are really tough for me too. But what do you think of Contra: Hard Corps? I bought it many years ago, but I have yet to beat the first stage by myself...
Hard Corps is like 90% memorization. I just played it for the first time about a week ago. It took two nights to beat every path using Ray.

The Alien Wars on Hard has more unpredictable elements. Whether that's good or bad is up to you.

I've always found the first stage of Hard Corps (most appropriate subtitle for a game ever) really intimidating: they're throwing the kitchen sink at you from the get go. But it's damn impressive as well, really pushing the Genesis to its limits. I'll probably use a code or something to progress further into the game at some point. (I'm not a huge fan of memorization in games... I remember playing a lot of R-Type III (I think) in the late 90s, until I got stuck at a stage where you have to redo the entire level you have just completed, but backwards (i.e. from right to left, with the ship still looking in the same direction); at that point I said ''alright, I'm done with that game''. Hard game, too.)

Mzo

None of the codes work in the US version =]

BDR2ipcCQAAkIkx.jpg:large

Hehe... :)

You're right, I remember trying something they had up at GameFAQs yeas ago, but to no avail. I'll have to hone my skills then, but being on the "wrong side" of 30 means it's going to be extra hard, lol.

So I swapped a few cart. batteries last night. I had to use the preinstalled wing batteries found on eBay for Super Metriod and Yoshi's Island since their board takes up most of the cart space.

But for games like Zelda and SMW the board allows for more room in the cart so I went with the removable battery approach. I first got these from Radio Shack.

Then soldered some wire to the posts...
...and then to the board

After doing both methods of battery installation, I'd recommend just buying the batteries with wings from eBay. It's easier, less hassle, and compatible for any board you may run into. Hopefully this will help anyone down the road, it's not hard and will be something I'll be doing to any battery save cart. that I plan on playing.

GulAtiCa

These came today. A Japanese version of Soul Blazer CIB (apparently called Soul Blader in Japan) and a cleaning kit for my SNES/N64/etc carts. Thanks to those in here that recommended the cleaning kit.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
But for games like Zelda and SMW the board allows for more room in the cart so I went with the removable battery approach. I first got these from Radio Shack.
Then soldered some wire to the posts...

...and then to the board

After doing both methods of battery installation, I'd recommend just buying the batteries with wings from eBay.

Aren't you supposed to solder the battery case directly on the board itself? I always though you were.

Just picked up Super R-Type from a retro store for $4. Been wanting to pick that one up for my collection for awhile.

They also had Stunt Race FX for $4. Does that game still hold up?

Aren't you supposed to solder the battery case directly on the board itself? I always though you were.

It doesn't make a difference. Those Radio Shack clips are too tall to fit that way though. You can remove the metal pins and sand the bottom "legs" off so it fits, then put the metal pins back in. Lot of work, though for no gain.

OreoKraickerz

Neo Member
Braarghh!!! I just lost my Lufia 2 save file... Granted I had only about 2 hours of play time, but ugh...

Quick internet research shows that Lufia 2 tends to glitch and erase save files. Son of a bitch.

Linkhero1

I'm looking to start making customer covers for my games. Does anyone have a site where I can download covers for games? Also instructions? I'm not sure how to go about printing the covers.

Just picked up Super R-Type from a retro store for $4. Been wanting to pick that one up for my collection for awhile.

They also had Stunt Race FX for $4. Does that game still hold up?

Not as well as I remember. For $4, I think it's worth picking up and adding to your collection.

GulAtiCa

http://www.thecoverproject.net/

Download them there. Put on SD card or thumbdrive and take to a local printing place (Office Max, Staples, etc). Tell them to have each one fitted horizontally on normal paper. Most are exact, but some are quite larger for some reason. Will cost you $0.50 per sheet.

Keep in mind, the cover sizes will be determined by what your printing out, it seems all/most cart based game covers are designed around the "Universal Game Case". I'm just letting you know in case you print disc based games for dvd covers (though there pretty much the same length/etc). This isn't actually a warning or issue, just a heads up (like Virtual Boy covers are designed around DS cases, for example.)

There will be extra white space on top and bottom, just cut that off.

Linkhero1

http://www.thecoverproject.net/

Download them there. Put on SD card or thumbdrive and take to a local printing place (Office Max, Staples, etc). Tell them to have each one fitted horizontally on normal paper. Most are exact, but some are quite larger for some reason. Will cost you $0.50 per sheet.

Keep in mind, the cover sizes will be determined by what your printing out, it seems all/most cart based game covers are designed around the "Universal Game Case". I'm just letting you know in case you print disc based games for dvd covers (though there pretty much the same length/etc). This isn't actually a warning or issue, just a heads up (like Virtual Boy covers are designed around DS cases, for example.)

There will be extra white space on top and bottom, just cut that off.

Thank you!! :)

Going to spend time downloading these.

Edit: Just a question about your preference. What do you think looks better, custom covers or the retail covers? I'm kind of undecided at the moment.

Top Bottom