• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Jhriad

Just curious do we have any other collecting threads like this one? Maybe a general collecting thread of some sort? I searched and found a GB/GBA one but that's the only one I saw.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
no but was hoping someone would make one

edit: yeah i usually dont gamble with amazon i have a couple online game stores i buy from ive only bought a complete ghoul patrol and bomberman 2 from them and got lucky they were pristine and didnt turn out like those ebay megamanx carts posted earlier

Fox Mulder

I know that Tetris Battle Gaiden disappears from eBay everytime Giantbomb has a SNES Stream.

It probably doubled in price in the past 6 months because of them alone.

Edit: There's a couple of complete boxed copies going for 40 bucks on ebay right now. They look pretty good!

I got mine off a website that ships from japan. It was $18 and delivered fast enough, and looks brand new.

Teknoman

I was talking on another thread: Saturn S-Video Cables are going for 70 dollars.

SEVENTY DOLLARS. There's NOTHING special about them (except the 10 pin mini-dim connector, which is out of spec).

They were going for 8 dollars on PlayAsia in October.

Shit's crazy, man.

8 dollars?! Damn it.

Alfredo

So I got this thing for 10 bucks on eBay and it seems pretty freakin' cool:

M7WW8L4.jpg

It was advertised to play NTSC games on PAL systems, but I figure I'd buy it and see if it let me play SNES games on my Super Famicom without having to cut up the casing on my SFC. Turns out, it works! Better yet, it seems to support games with special chips in them (like Super FX). At least, Super Mario RPG and Yoshi's Island seem to work. I gotta find a copy of Star Fox and test that out. Then maybe pick up a PAL game and see if that works, too.

Region converters, even without SFX support, usually seem to be pretty damn expensive. I guess this guy didn't really know what he had.

Teknoman

Just curious do we have any other collecting threads like this one? Maybe a general collecting thread of some sort? I searched and found a GB/GBA one but that's the only one I saw.

There is a Genesis and Saturn one of sorts. Not dedicated to collecting, just recommendations, prices, and so on.

Actually thats not too different from this thread.

i suppose in hindsight its good that the GB/A thread died.

I've been meaning to revive that thread...haha.

Anyways I hate the inflation of SNES stuff big time. It doesn't help the SNES had such a great library, I can see this going for a while. I hope the bubble bursts soon because after awhile, it really isn't worth it to spend vasts sums of money on a game you really want. I thought my Lego collecting hobby was expensive but that is starting to look like small fry now!

I have never played a Megaman game aside from ZX on the DS, would Megaman X be worth $20?

If you enjoyed ZX, for sure. MMX 1 & 2 are two of my favorite SNES games (never cared much for part 3 but I assume I'm the minority there). Weren't the ZX games super hard? I seem to remember that being the case, which is not the case with the X series.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
If you enjoyed ZX, for sure. MMX 1 & 2 are two of my favorite SNES games (never cared much for part 3 but I assume I'm the minority there). Weren't the ZX games super hard? I seem to remember that being the case, which is not the case with the X series.

Yeah I found ZX to be pretty difficult, but I did get pretty far into it nonetheless. For some reason I had the idea that the MMX games were supposed to be crazy hard, which is why I was hesitating to buy it.

Credo

I wish amazon would allow links to pictures in listings. I could never buy a cart without seeing it first, so I'll never buy anything like this from Amazon.

You have no idea how badly this kills me. I don't know what kind of work would go into making that possible, but I really wish they could get someone on that.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
What inexpensive SNES games do you think people should buy at this point?

Went through Video Game Price Charts this afternoon, here are some decent pick-ups (where "inexpensive" means "less than $15 or so"):

Super Punch Out
Shien's Revenge (really off-kilter shooting gallery-type game where you stab people instead of shooting them)
Earthworm Jim 1 & 2 (Genesis/CD versions are better, at least in the case of the first game)
Illusion of Gaia (surprised this one is cheap and Soul Blazer is more expensive)
Legend of the Mystical Ninja (Konami games have balooned in price but this one hasn't I guess?)
Skyblazer (pretty decent sidescroller)
The Lost Vikings
TMNT Tournament Fighters
Super Ghouls n Ghosts
UN Squadron
Magic Sword
Cybernator
Equinox
Brain Lord
Kendo Rage (another rare but still cheap game...side-scroller with a Japanese/anime sense of humor, not amazing but decent)
Super Adventure Island
Starfox
Uniracers
Congo's Caper (secretly the sequel to Joe & Mac)
FF Mystic Quest (shut up the music is awesome)
Joe and Mac
Killer Instinct
Weaponlord (though I think people agree the Genesis version is slightly better)
Plok
Ys III (get the Genesis version though instead honestly)
Tetris Attack
Cool Spot
Batman Returns (pretty decent beat-em-up from Konami)
Prince of Persia (lots of extra content from other versions)
Gradius III (was it this thread that someone said this was the worst shooter on the SNES? that dude is nuts)
Killer Instinct
F-Zero
Total Carnage
Pilotwings
Operation Logic Bomb
Super R-Type
Phalanx
Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose (most of the Konami Tiny Toons games were pretty good in general)
Jim Power (actually this game is terrible but the soundtrack rocks)

Super Turrican 2 used to be on Racketboy's "rare but cheap SNES games list" and now it is most definitely not. :(

The best game in the SNES library that you can find complete in box for under twenty bucks is probably The Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse. It's strange, nobody really talks about it anymore, but it's a really fun platformer that was a semi-big deal in it's time.

The best game in the SNES library that you can find complete in box for under twenty bucks is probably The Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse. It's strange, nobody really talks about it anymore, but it's a really fun platformer that was a semi-big deal in it's time.

Yeah, Magical Quest is great. (Too bad the difficulty in the sequels took a nosedive...) Probably my favorite licensed Capcom platformer from that era.

GulAtiCa

I loved that game as a kid. Rented it a bunch of times. Bought it a few months back when I remembered it.

You have no idea how badly this kills me. I don't know what kind of work would go into making that possible, but I really wish they could get someone on that.

They should just make their own image hosting system. I've tried linking to my pictures, and they removed my listings in like two seconds. They absolutely don't allow links, even to other Amazon listings. When I sold my Vita I included the case I had for it, linked to Amazon's own page so that buyers could see what case it was, they still removed my listing for using links.

Linkhero1

Went through Video Game Price Charts this afternoon, here are some decent pick-ups (where "inexpensive" means "less than $15 or so"):

Super Punch Out
Shien's Revenge (really off-kilter shooting gallery-type game where you stab people instead of shooting them)
Earthworm Jim 1 & 2 (Genesis/CD versions are better, at least in the case of the first game)
Illusion of Gaia (surprised this one is cheap and Soul Blazer is more expensive)
Legend of the Mystical Ninja (Konami games have balooned in price but this one hasn't I guess?)
Skyblazer (pretty decent sidescroller)
The Lost Vikings
TMNT Tournament Fighters
Super Ghouls n Ghosts
UN Squadron
Magic Sword
Cybernator
Equinox
Brain Lord
Kendo Rage (another rare but still cheap game...side-scroller with a Japanese/anime sense of humor, not amazing but decent)
Super Adventure Island
Starfox
Uniracers
Congo's Caper (secretly the sequel to Joe & Mac)
FF Mystic Quest (shut up the music is awesome)
Joe and Mac
Killer Instinct
Weaponlord (though I think people agree the Genesis version is slightly better)
Plok
Ys III (get the Genesis version though instead honestly)
Tetris Attack
Cool Spot
Batman Returns (pretty decent beat-em-up from Konami)
Prince of Persia (lots of extra content from other versions)
Gradius III (was it this thread that someone said this was the worst shooter on the SNES? that dude is nuts)
Killer Instinct
F-Zero
Total Carnage
Pilotwings
Operation Logic Bomb
Super R-Type
Phalanx
Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose (most of the Konami Tiny Toons games were pretty good in general)
Jim Power (actually this game is terrible but the soundtrack rocks)

Super Turrican 2 used to be on Racketboy's "rare but cheap SNES games list" and now it is most definitely not. :(
Holy fuck. You just helped me find a game from my childhood. I forgot the name and looked around for it and thought I was crazy when I wasn't able to find it.

Great list. Will look through the rest later.

what other threads are there? can gaf really have that much of an impact?

Youtube has a HUGE community. So many (recent Pick-up) videos and some of these people have thousands of subscribers. Hell that Pete Dorr guy has just about 67,000 subscribers right now.

So when he does a retro game review or speaks highly of a game(or any of these youtube celebrities for that matter), people want to try them out themselves.

Damn, I might have to fast track Knights of the Round to the top of my "To Buy" list. Had no idea it was rising in price.

Yea, I've been wanting Knights of the Round and King of Dragons for awhile now and just finally got them off of Amazon and ebay and couldn't be happier. Very few copies of these games seem to be listed at a time. I can't imagine they sold tons when they came out either. Plus they genuinely are awesome games.

Get them now! $50 is a steal when by the end of the year, they'll be fetching $80, maybe even $100.

I remember getting that one. Great game too. So the sequels sucked?

I never played the sequels. The first one came out here, though they called it 'The Great Circus Mystery'. It didn't get a great reception from what I remember. The third one which featured Donald Duck in place of Minnie never even got released here.

I remember getting that one. Great game too. So the sequels sucked?

They don't suck, but the second game was a lot easier than the first. The third game struck a nice balance between the first two games, but still isn't as good as the first. (The third one was also JP exclusive until the entire trilogy got ported to GBA)

They're still pretty great platformers though. (Although as a whole, I prefer Sega's Illusion games.)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
First Mickey game was SNES magic. So atmospheric.

Second was... A little meh. I own both. I'd want to pick up the SFC 3rd one though.

Seriously, you people need to stop feeding the "EBay games are overpriced" machine by buying games at these inflated prices... it's not good for anyone! Sure, some games are worth the amounts ebay charges, but a lot of them quite simply are not.

Yea, I've been wanting Knights of the Round and King of Dragons for awhile now and just finally got them off of Amazon and ebay and couldn't be happier. Very few copies of these games seem to be listed at a time. I can't imagine they sold tons when they came out either. Plus they genuinely are awesome games.

Get them now! $50 is a steal when by the end of the year, they'll be fetching $80, maybe even $100.
Knights of the Round is really bland and disappointing... just get the PS2/Xbox Capcom Classic Collection volume that includes it, I got the SNES version of the game for $15 (cart only) last year and really doubt that it was worth it.

I have heard good things about King of Dragons, though. That one's probably much more worth getting.

Super Adventure Island for ten bucks. Fantastic game with an amazing soundtrack.
The SNES and TG16 Adventure Island games are so incredibly bland... I don't like this game much at all. I never liked the series all that much in general, but at least the second and third NES games have a LITTLE bit going for them, with the rideable dinosaurs and such. This one's incredibly basic and doesn't even have that.

Yeah I still think Gradius III is really good even if it isn't as good as the arcade version. I think Axelay is overrated by most people. The mode 7 levels aren't very good at all in my opinion. I need to find a copy of R-Type III and Space Megaforce. Oh and Raiden Trad, is that one hard to find?
On Raiden Trad, no it's not, and it's cheap too (unlike R-Type III or Space Megaforce). I do agree with you about Axelay, though, as my placement of it on my list showed... that game's okay, but it's highly overrated by some people, and it's nowhere near as good as Gradius III, or the other top-level SNES shmups either, in gameplay.

I disagree with you about Gradius III, though. The arcade version's impossibly difficult, and is no good at all as a result. Seriously, they expected you to play one of the hardest games ever in just one continue, since the game (in arcades) doesn't even allow you to continue at all? That's just stupid. And the game's absurdly hard, too; it'd be super hard even with infinite continues. I've managed to get through the first level, with a lot of effort, but that's about it. Arcade Gradius III is way too hard to be playable. (I know that some later home versions that include the arcade game (PS2, PSP) include a level select, if I remember right (I do have both of those collections, but have barely touched Gradius III in either one), but still, the game's far too difficult.)

Yeah I agree that Hyperzone shouldn't technically be in there. I mentioned earlier in the thread that it is more like REZ.

Gradius is bad in my opinion because:
1. Massive Slowdown
2. Upgrade system typical of Gradius games. I just don't like the bank system.
3. The graphics are boring. Black with white stars doesn't impress me.
4. That sand area in level two never ends.

I have been hunting Aero Fighters for two years. I put in a 4 second bid on it for $200 last month but lost to $230. I no longer have money to spend. Off to the swap meets I go!
The awesome powerup system is one of my favorite things about the Gradius series, so yeah, I can only strongly disagree with you here.

As for the slowdown, it really makes the game better overall. At full speed those bullets would be REALLY hard to dodge! And the graphics are very good.

Nah, Raiden Trad is a $8 game. I just don't see it very often in the wild. You probably need to go eBay on that one. A good pickup though since vertical shooters seemed a lot rarer than side scrollers for the SNES.
Yeah, and it's the only 4th gen version of the game with two player simultaneous play, too. Get it.

For Axelay, yeah the mode 7 vertical levels feel awkward. But you get used to it and the boss fights are actually really fun. The side scrolling missions are where the game gets insanely great. Plus, the music and graphics are top notch.
The side scrolling missions aren't anything special, in either graphics or gameplay, I would say... I think the vertical ones are better. But regardless, the game's way too short. There are only three levels of each type, really? Not enough. And while the vertical levels look cool and play decently, the horizontal levels look much more average, and in either orientation, the game's just good, not great. It's nowhere near the level of most of the Gradius games (1, 2, 3, Interstellar Assault, and 5 are all better than it for sure!).

Space Megaforce will be tricky for you to get but I think it is worth it. There are something like 8 weapons and they are all really fun to use. The game can be brutally hard if you lose your upgrades but it has checkpoints so that is cool.
Space Megaforce is a fantastic game, and it is the most expensive SNES game I own in terms of how much I paid ($40...), but I do think that Blazing Lazers for TG16, which plays very similarly, is even better... also, the game's not THAT hard. Really, compared to Blazing Lazers, it's pretty easy. Sure, the game has 12 levels, but several are these easy, short bonus levels, and the game has infinite continues, so you can't really fail. The last few levels aren't even remotely as hard as the last two levels of Blazing Lazers, either. That games' boss-rush stage near the end is just BRUTAL, but Space Megaforce is quite approachable all the way to the end. As a result, I've beaten Space Megaforce several times, but still haven't quite managed to finish Blazing Lazers...

But yeah, Space Megaforce is a great game worth getting, sure. I wish it wasn't so expensive though.

First Mickey game was SNES magic. So atmospheric.

Second was... A little meh. I own both. I'd want to pick up the SFC 3rd one though.
The third one did get a US release on the GBA that is probably cheaper.

-_-

my wallet is dying

Worth every penny.

A Black Falcon said:
The SNES and TG16 Adventure Island games are so incredibly bland... I don't like this game much at all. I never liked the series all that much in general, but at least the second and third NES games have a LITTLE bit going for them, with the rideable dinosaurs and such. This one's incredibly basic and doesn't even have that.

The TG16 game is fun, but way too easy. Now the SNES game on the other hand, not so much. Though it's true the platforming is very basic, I find it so much fun that I don't even mind so much. But then, I'm more fond of the original 'Adventure Island' than it's cuter sequels. That's a tough motherfucking game.

Amazon actually can be a great way to get a decent deal on a retro game.

Obviously I always look at the lowest prices and then contact the sellers if it's possible to get a pic or two and usually they are have to oblige.

I got Knights of the Round in mint condition for like $26. Not too bad.

I do wish they had a picture system in place though.

A Black Falcon said:Knights of the Round is really bland and disappointing... just get the PS2/Xbox Capcom Classic Collection volume that includes it, I got the SNES version of the game for $15 (cart only) last year and really doubt that it was worth it.

I have heard good things about King of Dragons, though. That one's probably much more worth getting.[/QUOTE]

I have both Capcom Classics Collection and they both are on Vol. 2. But of course I wanted the carts as well, damn collectors mentality haha.

King of Dragons is very good and while better than Knights of The Round, I still enjoy Knights.

Seriously, you people need to stop feeding the "EBay games are overpriced" machine by buying games at these inflated prices... it's not good for anyone! Sure, some games are worth the amounts ebay charges, but a lot of them quite simply are not.
I'm with you. At the very least, stop rewarding the high BIN listings. Make sellers list auctions with low starting bids so the actual market of bidders can determine the value.

Linkhero1

I've never clicked a BIN on an overpriced SNES game. I've usually stuck to bidding for the lowest price I can find. There's no point in rewarding those high priced sellers. If I can't get a deal, then I won't even bother.

Edit: It's so frustrating trying to find games like Harvest Moon, EVO, Hagane, etc. I'm kind of curious who here has a US cart of one of these games. Not for me to beg you to trade/sell me them, but just genuinely curious who here has these?
I have EVO, Demon's Crest, Pocky & Rocky 1/2, Final Fight 2/3, Knights of the Round, King of Dragons, Sparkster, Kirby 3, Joe & Mac 2, Space Megaforce, R-Type 3, Mega Man 7...

I started buying stuff circa 1997-2000. I purchased many of those games for $10 at a local rental store (I felt I was paying too much at the time, as I was a poor university student driving a '91 Topaz in need of constant repairs). I also have had Sonic Blast Man2, Ninja Warriors, Mega Man X2/X3 and Hagane at some point. The latter didn't command any attention : I sold a copy in 2010 to some guy at Digital Press for $20 or less, I don't remember exactly (makes me sick to my stomach, to tell the truth). I have had it twice and a friend of mine/fellow collector has found it in the wild for $10, too. How could it be rare, right? (Nintendo Power even said it looked like an 8-bit title in its short review if I recall - I didn't know until recently it was a Blockbuster exclusive. Honestly though, it really isn't worth as much as it commands. It's a nice action game (too hard for its own good, though) with very nice graphics (NP was talking shit regarding the graphics), but it's not great lke Snatcher or any of the top games that command premium prices. EVO/Demon's Crest, etc. are much better IMO. Oh, and I am a huge fan of the three NES Ninja Gaiden games, for reference's sake.)

Echoing what others have said, this thread is both great and horribly depressing at the same time. I have sold so many high priced SNES games over the years, but now I regret selling most of them... I guess it's karma biting me in the back or something. I find solace in the fact that I still own most of the higher priced games that really interest me.

My kid brother and I, as far back as 1999, were buying all the MM 7/X2/X3, Chrono Trigger, FF3, SMRPG and Uncharted Waters: New Horizons (the second one, whatever title it had) carts, you name it, we could put our greedy paws on in the wider Quebec city metropolitan area and put them up on the auction block. And we found a lot (like a dozen of each - save New Horizons which I only saw twice). All were priced $10 or less at rental stores in those days. The good thing about being Canadian at the turn of the century is that we made a big profit thanks to the weakness of our dollar.

(Sorry guys for the bad paragraph structure/lack of focus.)

I got some games in the mail!!

I won this lot for $1.04 and with $10 shipping I think I came out on top. My goal was SM: All Stars.

My $30 Castlevania 4 also showed up which is in pristine condition. I'm pretty excited to play this for the first time.

I've got some battery swaps (Super Metroid & Yoshi's Island) to do tonight and then I'll be set for some SNES bliss over the weekend. I'm also thinking of sharing some pics of the battery swap process as well.

beanman25

I got some games in the mail!!

I won this lot for $1.04 and with $10 shipping I think I came out on top. My goal was SM: All Stars.

My $30 Castlevania 4 also showed up which is in pristine condition. I'm pretty excited to play this for the first time.

I've got some battery swaps (Super Metroid & Yoshi's Island) to do tonight and then I'll be set for some SNES bliss over the weekend. I'm also thinking of sharing some pics of the battery swap process as well.

Please take photos! Need to swap a few batteries!

smbu2000

Yup, that's where this one came from. If people are interested, I'll post more pictures once it has been cleaned up. Are you near Tokyo?

I'm not near Tokyo at all. I'm in Nagoya.
I looked at the auction, but I just bought a 20" Sony PVM and I still have my 25" Sony Wega so too many tv's/monitors for me.:p

More pictures would be appreciated, especially of the connector inputs on the back. Just out of curiosity.

Vortex566

I got it CIB for £6, now that's a bargain.

Top Bottom