• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Teknoman

The main S.Adventure Island draw for me is the tropical atmosphere and the cool music.

Oh and as far as calibration goes, hoping I have things set for an accurate display:

jbw2V1eBeRUHH7.jpg

jhl9ipuT6ArAg.jpg

jvZYkit4KcdhD.jpg

jEfvoSXQOU6GZ.jpg

I know you cant really judge via camera phone shots (S-video connection for both SNES and N64), but still.

Also off topic, but is DOOM 64 supposed to be so damn dark? Had to crank the brightness to max...but I guess they did it for atmosphere? The bright rooms are kinda comforting, and you can clearly see everything...but outside of that, the blue or red glowing rooms make you feel like you're on the set of an Alien movie (which actually isnt bad, just have to play with the lights off).

Thank you!! :)

Going to spend time downloading these.

Edit: Just a question about your preference. What do you think looks better, custom covers or the retail covers? I'm kind of undecided at the moment.

Sometimes the customs look better than retail, especially if they use SFC art and it ends up looking better than the NA or EU art. Other than that, retail. Probably a 80/20 retail/custom split.

Also you can request covers be made if they are missing. I still need one for my SFC Super Adventure Island 1.

Peagles

Just got some SFC copies of Super Metroid and Contra Spirits (Contra 3). Super Metroid is entirely in English (or Japanese; there's a toggle), which is nice, and the SFC version of Contra seems to have unlimited continues, which I need.

I have to thank you again, I've been searching for ages to see if the SFC version of Super Metroid was in both Japanese and English. I kinda figured it was since any version I've played has the same option, but now that I know this I think I'd rather aim to own the complete SFC version rather than the PAL or NTSC-U one. I prefer the artwork and it seems to go for cheaper too...

I finally scored a copy of Spike McFang tonight, someone traded it into our store, box, manual and even the plastic, along with some other great boxed games. Was worth the $44 I paid :D

Skullkid

After doing both methods of battery installation, I'd recommend just buying the batteries with wings from eBay. It's easier, less hassle, and compatible for any board you may run into. Hopefully this will help anyone down the road, it's not hard and will be something I'll be doing to any battery save cart. that I plan on playing.

I think I found the batteries you are referring to - one wing is thinner than the other, so you don't have to clip it with scissors to make it fit in the hole. It looks like you just have to melt the solder so the old battery comes off, insert the new one in, and then secure it with solder. Is that right?

Also off topic, but is DOOM 64 supposed to be so damn dark? Had to crank the brightness to max...but I guess they did it for atmosphere? The bright rooms are kinda comforting, and you can clearly see everything...but outside of that, the blue or red glowing rooms make you feel like you're on the set of an Alien movie (which actually isnt bad, just have to play with the lights off).
Yes, Doom 64 is supposed to be a dark game. Turn the ingame brightness up a bit (ie, not TV brightness, the game's setting), but not too far... if you turn it up too high, you'll get rid of some of the games' atmosphere.

-KRS-

Oh yes. Wild Guns is fucking awesome. It's definitely one of those games that you'll take down from the bookcase every once in a while to play. To be honest I think it's better than Sunset Riders. But that's subjective of course.

Here's a review by the Happy Video Game Nerd if you haven't seen it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1qoESYDwPY

I have to thank you again, I've been searching for ages to see if the SFC version of Super Metroid was in both Japanese and English. I kinda figured it was since any version I've played has the same option, but now that I know this I think I'd rather aim to own the complete SFC version rather than the PAL or NTSC-U one. I prefer the artwork and it seems to go for cheaper too...

No problem. I posted that in case people want to track down an SFC cart. That artwork is nice. I was prepared to just deal with the Japanese text, but I'm glad it was in English too.

smbu2000

Picked these up earlier today.
Not very expensive, but they looked interesting and I found them locally.

I think somebody had posted about the Gundam game earlier in the thread which got me interested in finding it.

GulAtiCa

Yes, Doom 64 is supposed to be a dark game. Turn the ingame brightness up a bit (ie, not TV brightness, the game's setting), but not too far... if you turn it up too high, you'll get rid of some of the games' atmosphere.

I think it's also a TV issue. I noticed that while the game is dark, it's VERY hard to see on a HD TV. I played the game as a kid and while in college on my older TV, but could never really play it on my HD TV due to how dark it is. You literally can't see.

I could be wrong of course, I'll have to do some testing now that I have access to my older non HD TV.

GulAtiCa

Wow that cleaning kit works wonders. I had an extra copy of DKC that took a bit of effort to get working, now that it's been cleaned, works always now.

Also, took a picture of my SNES collection again. Has grown a lot in the last month. (both Sim City & DKC are missing from picture as they are upstairs next to my SNES)

That's pretty much what every Wild Guns on eBay is selling for. They're all around the same quality too...

It must be this thread then and everyone bidding against each other :p haha

Looking at completed listings, and most of them went for $150 or less and were in better shape.

Just crazy to me someone would pay that much for a game in shitty condition.

Also, if anyone's interested, I posted some potential trades for some games I'm looking for(mainly SNES). I have some decent games in return to trade out. So please check it out if interested.

Wow that cleaning kit works wonders. I had an extra copy of DKC that took a bit of effort to get working, now that it's been cleaned, works always now.

Also, took a picture of my SNES collection again. Has grown a lot in the last month. (both Sim City & DKC are missing from picture as they are upstairs next to my SNES)

Are the cases like DVD cases where there is a thin outer plastic layer for putting inserts in?

Inno

Anyone know of other SFC games that has an English language option like Super Metroid has?
I can't imagine there's many.

televator

The thing about the UGCs that bothers me a bit is that they aren't really made with manuals in mind. There's hardly enough room and they don't have clips to hold them in place.

It must be this thread then and everyone bidding against each other :p haha

Looking at completed listings, and most of them went for $150 or less and were in better shape.

Just crazy to me someone would pay that much for a game in shitty condition.

Also, if anyone's interested, I posted some potential trades for some games I'm looking for(mainly SNES). I have some decent games in return to trade out. So please check it out if interested.

All the ones that are on right now are pretty much the exact same price and quality though.

I'm the one who won it. Stop making me feel stupid! ;_;

Could someone tell me what the bottom left game is in this picture?
96902516a.jpg

and the top left one in this one:
96905098a.jpg

Just ordered those, and I want to get the cover art printed out for my cases but I have no idea what those two are.

I'll have to post some pictures soon of my SNES/Super Famicom "collection". I for some reason am picking up a ton of super famicom games lately (so damn cheap, and I can play most of the games in english which is nice).

Also, would anyone be interested in the Starfox and the Final Fantasy? I already have one of each, don't need multiples of those. And I might be getting more duplicates here soon, might have to make a list and post it in here to see if any of you would be interested!

Could someone tell me what the bottom left game is in this picture?
96902516a.jpg

and the top left one in this one:
96905098a.jpg

Just ordered those, and I want to get the cover art printed out for my cases but I have no idea what those two are.

I'll have to post some pictures soon of my SNES/Super Famicom "collection". I for some reason am picking up a ton of super famicom games lately (so damn cheap, and I can play most of the games in english which is nice).

Also, would anyone be interested in the Starfox and the Final Fantasy? I already have one of each, don't need multiples of those. And I might be getting more duplicates here soon, might have to make a list and post it in here to see if any of you would be interested!
That first unknown one is Panel de Pon (Tetris Attack in its original form), and the second one is this: http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/570813-sd-the-great-battle/data

Asimov

Banned
Do you guys think it would be safe to use a lint-free cloth and isopropyl alcohol to clean NES/SNES games on the inside?

Zing

Banned
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wild-Guns-Super-Nintendo-SNES-MORE-RARE-than-Earthbound-Mega-Man-X3-or-EVO-/251230593236?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item3a7e82a0d4

Wow are you kidding me?

I think people must be under the impression that the lot comes with all the games he mentioned because I don't see how that copy is going for that much.
It should be a crime to list that as "very good" condition. That plus the keyword spamming should get that seller banned from eBay for all of eternity.

Saying "they are all going for that price" doesn't make it any more reasonable. You don't pay that much just to play the game, and collectors shouldnt be touching a damaged cart. The game is on the goddamn Wii virtual console for the equivalent of $6. You can play it in 480p for literally a fraction of the cart price.

There were at least two people willing to pay that insane price!

It should be a crime to list that as "very good" condition. That plus the keyword spamming should get that seller banned from eBay for all of eternity.

Saying "they are all going for that price" doesn't make it any more reasonable. You don't pay that much just to play the game, and collectors shouldnt be touching a damaged cart. The game is on the goddamn Wii virtual console for the equivalent of $6. You can play it in 480p for literally a fraction of the cart price.

There were at least two people willing to pay that insane price!

$8, not $6, at least in the US... SNES games are $8. But yeah, I normally would absolutely say "get physical, not VC stuff", but in a case like Wild Guns, where it's $150 vs. $8, that VC copy sure does look tempting... certainly get it to play the game, anyway, and see if you really want to spend the kind of money the actual SNES cart goes for. I mean, yes, Wild Guns is a great game, but that's a HUGE price difference, and the actual game is the same on either platform.

At the convention they had super metroid for $135 super nice condition was that worth the pirce?
I thought it was little expensive so I did not by it this time.

Fox Mulder

$8, not $6, at least in the US... SNES games are $8. But yeah, I normally would absolutely say "get physical, not VC stuff", but in a case like Wild Guns, where it's $150 vs. $8, that VC copy sure does look tempting... certainly get it to play the game, anyway, and see if you really want to spend the kind of money the actual SNES cart goes for. I mean, yes, Wild Guns is a great game, but that's a HUGE price difference, and the actual game is the same on either platform.

Stuff like that makes me briefly think about just saying screw it and buying a flash cart for these super expensive or rare games. At least the VC is there for some of these. I really hope Nintendo keeps building their library up.

I do want to play the best games, but $150 for beat up carts isnt something I ever see myself doing.

GulAtiCa

Now that my SNES is in my room. I've been playing it a lot lately. Specifically Sim City and Super Mario World. I currently have a Sim City with over 200,000. Of course, I'm using the max money cheat. lol.

I completed all levels in Super Mario World. The 2nd level in the Star World still the hardest for me. But I always kinda cheat. I grab a purple Yoshi and just jump over and grab a turtle and fly to the end. lol

Linkhero1

A lot of the games I want are rising in price :(

Really hope SNES games take a dip when Nintendo games start coming out for the Wii U/eShop.

Guys, I need donations from you guys so I can buy an NES, XBox 360, PS3, and a Wii.

Aparently, I need all five systems in order to play mega man x2.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEGA-MAN-X2...ultDomain_0&hash=item4ac1d4e24c#ht_316wt_1164

Keyword fishing is the worst thing ever. This isn't craigslist dude.

That sticker on the label is really irritating.

entremet

A lot of the games I want are rising in price :(

Really hope SNES games take a dip when Nintendo games start coming out for the Wii U/eShop.

That sticker on the label is really irritating.

Doubtful. Wild Guns is on VC. You collectors want the real deal. :p

Linkhero1

I know that it's too good to be true. What were some things that caused prices to dip, if ever? I know Earthbound did fluctuate in price at one point.

Top Bottom