• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Gave up trying to find a cheaper copy and bought Goemon 3 over the weekend for 1700 yen. I also got the GBA 1+2 collection, the Famicom Ganbare Goemon 2, and the first PSX Goemon game.On a bit of a Goemon kick now. I already had the N64 games, the 4th SFC game, the original GB game and the PSX game set in the future.

Back when I was in 8th grade I loaned my SNES and a lot of the top games (FF2, FF3, Lufia, Super Metroid, Zelda, Chrono Trigger, etc.) to a friend who was having a rough time. Well, it turns out that he moved away and I didn't get any of my games back. This had been stuck in my craw for a long time now as my friends and family will tell you—they've heard the complaints.

Back in November, I checked Craigslist on a whim and noticed a listing for an SNES and almost all of the games I had lost + a few others. After waffling for a few days, my roommate convinced me to cough up the $300 asking price and considering the state of prices today, I'm glad I did.

I now consider the universe at balance again.

The good stuff
BGKPi1bh.jpg

The rest
No1neanh.jpg

Boxes—I held on to these as there was no reason to loan them
sfIm9xhh.jpg

NES games—green cart is Battle Kid: Fortress of Peril
SMEzYWoh.jpg

More NES games
WMQLedph.jpg

Books
wW1TP0v.jpg

Ecy96XY.jpg

FZdWEsGh.jpg

Manuals
IrGWa7Ih.jpg

BYQfLpMh.jpg

Pappasman

Back when I was in 8th grade I loaned my SNES and a lot of the top games (FF2, FF3, Lufia, Super Metroid, Zelda, Chrono Trigger, etc.) to a friend who was having a rough time. Well, it turns out that he moved away and I didn't get any of my games back. This had been stuck in my craw for a long time now as my friends and family will tell you—they've heard the complaints.

Back in November, I checked Craigslist on a whim and noticed a listing for an SNES and almost all of the games I had lost + a few others. After waffling for a few days, my roommate convinced me to cough up the $300 asking price and considering the state of prices today, I'm glad I did.

I now consider the universe at balance again.

300 for all that? damn. great deal.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Oh no, I wish. The $300 was for most of those SNES games. The rest of the stuff—NES games, manuals, boxes, Nintedo Power/Gamefan—is from my personal collection.

Yeah I sincerely doubt you got Earthbound in that lot, right?

entremet

My parents threw away all my game boxes :(. Except the Genesis ones since they were nice and hard cases. I really wished Nintendo went the Sega route with hard cases, which Sega did from the Master System, but they got cheap later near the end and switched to cardboard cases too.

GulAtiCa

My parents threw away all my game boxes :(. Except the Genesis ones since they were nice and hard cases. I really wished Nintendo went the Sega route with hard cases, which Sega did from the Master System, but they got cheap later near the end and switched to cardboard cases too.

It's funny that you say that, I always thought it was interesting that boxed Genesis games are rather common, so they are not worth much, compared to any boxed SNES game instantly becomes more valuable (unless a sport game or really really common). In a way, if SNES boxes were plastic instead of paper and more common, they really wouldn't be as impressive to see someone with a bunch of SNES boxes.

I wish I kept my boxes as well. But since my childhood, I moved around 6 times and would of lost, been destroyed or just thrown away over time. Heck, I'm sure I ripped open those boxes on Christmas morning without a care. haha

I don't know whether to be happy or sad, but I missed out on a solid condition cart of E.V.O for $165.

I've never even come close to paying that much for a single game, but due to it's rarity/demand, the price seemed reasonable.

I'm so close to finishing out my collection, the last few are just killing me to get haha.

I even resorted to getting the Super Famicom version of Hagane from a user here just because the chances of finding a decent condition cart that won't cost my arm is pretty much zilch haha.

IrishNinja

oh, it's that zelda-sheets guy! yeah someone's gonna buy that at $180 and brag to their friend, watch

seriously, there's other systems i wanna explore later (nevermind a japanese upscaler) but that SD cart is looking better & better. ive got like 50 SNES carts on my shelf, i aint gonna feel bad about mixing some overpriced ones with the fan-made/BS stuff

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Scored Ghost Chaser Densei (Cart Only) for a reasonable cost.

Thank you GAF, sometimes you are the bestest thing ever.

Sushigod7

So I'm seriously considering just getting a lot of Super Famicom games I found a local guy who imports and has a ton of stuff for decent pricing. I'm bidding on a game genie to mod so I can play on a US console. Anyone have Mother (Earthbound) carts? Since it's dialog is surely all Jpn dialog is it worth it?

Kobiekun

So I'm seriously considering just getting a lot of Super Famicom games I found a local guy who imports and has a ton of stuff for decent pricing. I'm bidding on a game genie to mod so I can play on a US console. Anyone have Mother (Earthbound) carts? Since it's dialog is surely all Jpn dialog is it worth it?

I think much of what makes Earthbound great is the story and dialog. If you can read Japanese then a copy of Mother 2 would be worth it, otherwise no.

smbu2000

Soooo let's see if there's any US Wild Guns on Ebay...

oh...oooooooh.
Wow, what happened to that thing? How do games get so tore up like that? It makes the copy I picked up not too long ago look pristine!

This arrived today! Tenchi Sozo (aka Terranigma). The box and everything are in really good condition!

I have 2 other SFC games coming soon as well. (a couple of Saturn ones as well, but that's not for this thread)

smbu2000

You could play it and it would be nice to have in your collection, but to get the most enjoyment out of it you'd need to know Japanese, IMO.

I don't have the SFC game, but I do have the GBA releases (Mother 1+2 and Mother 3) and knowing Japanese would be really useful in getting the most out of the game. I'm still playing through Mother 1 and I'll get to 2 after. (I still want the SFC Mother 2 though)

Sushigod7

I think much of what makes Earthbound great is the story and dialog. If you can read Japanese then a copy of Mother 2 would be worth it, otherwise no.

You could play it and it would be nice to have in your collection, but to get the most enjoyment out of it you'd need to know Japanese, IMO.

I don't have the SFC game, but I do have the GBA releases (Mother 1+2 and Mother 3) and knowing Japanese would be really useful in getting the most out of the game. I'm still playing through Mother 1 and I'll get to 2 after. (I still want the SFC Mother 2 though)

Thanks guys will have to see if I can get it for less than what he has on it might make it worth it to have. It's a loose cart. First order of business is to get another console I'm heading to a flea market today which has a lot of "retro" game stores supposedly. Hoping to find some diamonds in the rough.

IrishNinja

man, i really have to get around to playing Terranigma one day & see what the hype's about...god knows if i love it, it looks priced to fall into my "buy a reproduction cart" territory

Sushigod7

Didn't someone get a repro somewhere in the thread and it was trashed? Is Timewalk a reputable place to get them? I see they have some of the Zelda hacks.

GulAtiCa

Didn't someone get a repro somewhere in the thread and it was trashed? Is Timewalk a reputable place to get them? I see they have some of the Zelda hacks.

Don't buy from them. They way over price, and their boxes and manuals are trash. Someone in the January pickup complained about them.

ys45

man, i really have to get around to playing Terranigma one day & see what the hype's about...god knows if i love it, it looks priced to fall into my "buy a reproduction cart" territory

I finished Soul Blazer on emulator back in january, great game .
But i was not impressed with Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma either.

Terranigma is much better than IoG IMO but still dunno if it's nostalgia but i prefer Soul Blazer .

IrishNinja

I want it so i can complete the Soul Blazer trilogy.

i didn't even know it fit into there. it's been so long, did Soul Blazer & Gaia connect at all?

i remember cool boss fights and details like the character's hair blowing in the wind, but like Lufia 2, the game was a bit too pricey at the time i'd see it (followed by never seeing it in stock again...) and local etiquette with blockbuster rentals was fucking atrocious; id get near a game's end & have to return it (for fear of fees!) and purposely leave my account on slot 3, right? less than a week later id re-rent it only to find all 3 have level 1 chars named "BIG TITTIES" or the like...god, i so wanted to hang around there just to catch whoever was doing that shit, i still don't know how any of those games or Ys 3 ended because of you, you shit

GulAtiCa

i didn't even know it fit into there. it's been so long, did Soul Blazer & Gaia connect at all?

Loosely. More like FF1,2,3 then direct sequels. But they share many many similar elements, and references to the each other are in the games.

I really want Terranigma, and I don't mind paying $80. But most of the damn auctions are from Germeny/France/etc on eBay. Need one from UK (and then need a PAL SNES lol)

McBradders

Loosely. More like FF1,2,3 then direct sequels. But they share many many similar elements, and references to the each other are in the games.

I really want Terranigma, and I don't mind paying $80. But most of the damn auctions are from Germeny/France/etc on eBay. Need one from UK (and then need a PAL SNES lol)

Can't you just get a converter?

McBradders

They exist? I asked before, but never got a response. That would make things easier.

What is the product name? I only see Super Famicom to NTSC SNES converters and vise versa on eBay.

Don't quote me on this but... the ones where you have to put in a second cartridge to work should do the trick... again, don't quote me :(

If you don't mind me asking, what is the last game at the bottom of that fourth row (meaning the furthest right)?

Looks like Axelay.

Correct. Very solid schmup.

Yeah I sincerely doubt you got Earthbound in that lot, right?

No, I had to cough up real cash to get that on ebay. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that everything in those pics was bought from one guy for $300.

OCD Reproductions has it for $50 or part of their 4/$180 deal. They were on the recommended list from the Nintendo Age Forums.

Garcian

Even if the cart were to fit in an NTSC SNES (thanks to the converter), wouldn't the game have graphical glitches and whatnot (since it's PAL)?

Yeah that could be right - some games that were optimized in PAL-land will run too fast when played on an NTSC console as well; funny to watch but not very playable. Not sure if Terranigma was optimized though.

GulAtiCa

I'm prob better off getting a PAL SNES. Not just need to find a UK PAL Terranigma. Though might be cheaper to just get a repro cart instead of a PAL SNES (I'll still need to get a legit version of course for collection purposes)

McBradders

Yeah that could be right - some games that were optimized in PAL-land will run too fast when played on an NTSC console as well; funny to watch but not very playable. Not sure if Terranigma was optimized though.

I don't think any games were optimized were they? Sure as hell didn't feel like it. Euroland was quite literally the last consideration in gaming back in those days.

Linkhero1

Now that some of you mention it, after playing a bit of Sunset Riders I find myself craving more Western games. Wild Guns is out of my affordable price range, so what else is there?

Top Bottom