• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Teknoman

Repost from the crt thread:

Extra tv opinion time. What do you guys think about the sony wega trinitron kv-24fs120?Just got one from a goodwill for 30 bucks. One component, one svideo/composite, ine composite in the front with a headphone jack (using it for 2.1 pc speakers).

SLX

Banned
They're worth what you're willing to pay, like your example with Sunset Riders.

Look at Earthbound on the SNES. I have been told it's a fairly common game that should not even be fetching the prices it is on eBay.

So who is dictating the market, who is deciding that Earthbound is worth x amount of money?

If folks were smart enough not to actually pay the ridiculous prices, we might a larger drop in prices.

Over time I do anticipate the value of these games to steadily rise, but a beat-up cart for 178.00 for Wild Guns does not seem to warrant the sort of collector prices IMO.

Yeah I think Wild Guns is a fantastic game too, especially with two players, but is it truly worth that much? I don't know.

beanman25

Tiger. not sure how to PM on phone, but I had to resend the money again. Didn't have enough postage apparently so it got returned.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Look at Earthbound on the SNES. I have been told it's a fairly common game that should not even be fetching the prices it is on eBay.

So who is dictating the market, who is deciding that Earthbound is worth x amount of money?

If folks were smart enough not to actually pay the ridiculous prices, we might a larger drop in prices.

Over time I do anticipate the value of these games to steadily rise, but a beat-up cart for 178.00 for Wild Guns does not seem to warrant the sort of collector prices IMO.

Yeah I think Wild Guns is a fantastic game too, especially with two players, but is it truly worth that much? I don't know.
Earthbound is the exception that proves the rule it seems.

Iskander

Neo Member
Anyone interested in splitting an order of the universal game cases? At $0.59 each, the price is right, but I sure don't need 100 of them - probably only 30-40, tops.

GulAtiCa

Anyone interested in splitting an order of the universal game cases? At $0.59 each, the price is right, but I sure don't need 100 of them - probably only 30-40, tops.

I'd recommend splitting it up between 2 or 3 people, as shipping will be quite big. Not just talking about the main shipment, but the other 2 from [buyer] address to the other one/two. So better to keep more per person, as someone only getting 5 cases will still have a $10 shipment to pay as well.

P.S. for reference: The main fedex shipping from the store is $30ish for all 100 in a BIG box

The_Afroman

Picked up Mega Man X for 20 a few days ago. On the hunt for 2-3.. do not want to pay the STUPID amount ebay has them up for..

Y4OIJ5

Linkhero1

I'm too lazy to take any pics but this weeks haul includes:

Super Bomberman
Super Bomberman 2
Knights of the Round
Sunset Riders
Super Adventure Island
Contra III

Wallet am cry

I won't purchase anything for a few weeks but I fear prices will only rise.

Teknoman

Super Bomberman
Super Bomberman 2
Knights of the Round
Sunset Riders
Super Adventure Island
Contra III

Wallet am cry

I wouldnt worry much, you got a good bunch there. Personally i snagged super edf. Some people think its average, but im a sucker for the soundtrack and the art style.

Super Bomberman
Super Bomberman 2
Knights of the Round
Sunset Riders
Super Adventure Island
Contra III

Wallet am cry

You'll buy more...

IrishNinja

the hunt is half the fun, though

how many of you check things like craigfind, or other non-ebay venues? i mean even on ebay i sometimes misspell shit just to see if i can find something stupid-cheap, that was common for me years back with comics & such, less so now but man is it satisfying to find a "RARE" (read: not rare) title for a fair price, like half of its going rate on amazon

the hunt is half the fun, though

how many of you check things like craigfind, or other non-ebay venues? i mean even on ebay i sometimes misspell shit just to see if i can find something stupid-cheap, that was common for me years back with comics & such, less so now but man is it satisfying to find a "RARE" (read: not rare) title for a fair price, like half of its going rate on amazon

I very rarely buy on ebay because it's so much more fun to look around and see what I can find locally... if I just bought it all online, it'd be nowhere near as fun!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's kind of disappointing all this talk about how the prices have shot up... because I never found SNES cheap/easy to collect for ever. It's my favorite console of all time, and I've been actively collecting for 10 years, and I've found surprisingly little over the years (I do have 50+ games, but missing so many of the must-haves). It's also odd to hear people talking about "how easy it was to collect in the early 2000s" when it was NOT for me! I was looking back then! :p

On the other hand, you can hold out your arms and wander through thrift stores and in a few years you can pick up nearly all the major NES or N64 games....

I really think its the most mainstream console to hold/appreciate its value.

Of course maybe a lot of this talk is people are only getting into the collecting game now, and imagining they were all dirt cheap/easy to find all along, when they never were.

Olly88

Earlier I found out my Super Metroid box has an error on it. Can't find any other copies on Google or eBay with the same thing.

smbu2000

Buying too much stuff lately.

Anyway, just picked up a SNES mini along with Super Mario All Starts/SMW. I also got Umihara Kawase CIB in the mail. Even though I already have many super famicoms. At least I won't have to use my honey bee adapter with this. (that dark line in the pic across the snes mini is just the shadow from my camera strap)

ys45

I think i found a good deal , Lufia at 60$ CIB (MINT) , i checked eBay and loose cart are going for the same price .

So yeah i bought it (damn me) along with Xardion CIB for 10$

It's kind of disappointing all this talk about how the prices have shot up... because I never found SNES cheap/easy to collect for ever. It's my favorite console of all time, and I've been actively collecting for 10 years, and I've found surprisingly little over the years (I do have 50+ games, but missing so many of the must-haves). It's also odd to hear people talking about "how easy it was to collect in the early 2000s" when it was NOT for me! I was looking back then! :p

On the other hand, you can hold out your arms and wander through thrift stores and in a few years you can pick up nearly all the major NES or N64 games....

Of course maybe a lot of this talk is people are only getting into the collecting game now, and imagining they were all dirt cheap/easy to find all along, when they never were.

Yes, you can read old posts about SNES collecting from 2010 and before where people are complaining about the prices going up and collecting getting out of hand. The price points are different (lower), but the complaints and the games being complained about are the same.

GulAtiCa

Really only the more popular and known games that are pricey. Half the games I've bought lately were $10 or less. Several CIB for $20 or less.

Quackula

I don't know. It's normal for prices to go up over time, I'm just shocked at how radical the spike has been. It's just been especially dramatic, things are 2 or 3 times as much as they were just a few years ago.

That, plus all the pawn shops and flea markets and thrift stores check ebay on all the game stuff they get in, so you rarely snatch up a great find now it seems.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
its going for $90 loose cart now

edit: the one i posted in the pick up thread a couple months ago i got for $30 loose cart and even that was a couple bucks higher then ebay or amazon prices that i checked around on

IrishNinja

jesus. its not gonna be long before it potentially hits wild guns/earthbound levels, then.

I don't know. It's normal for prices to go up over time, I'm just shocked at how radical the spike has been. It's just been especially dramatic, things are 2 or 3 times as much as they were just a few years ago.

That, plus all the pawn shops and flea markets and thrift stores check ebay on all the game stuff they get in, so you rarely snatch up a great find now it seems.

even like 6 months ago, the jump wasnt as bad as right now. im wondering if it'll level off when the new gen really gets going or what.

but yeah, you're totally right about pawn shops, i kept looking for genesis deals & seeing salvation army and the like, charging high prices for loose carts! they clearly are in on the loop, sadly.

What on earth has been going on the past year or so?

i honestly think this topic could be a thread in itself...SNES is the worst of the lot, but again, even on the sega side, we're seeing a jump. i wonder how much of it has to do with a long gen finally ending, and how much from a large segment growing up & missing the retro stuff they don't find from upcoming consoles threatening little to no BC, used games etc etc...just a thought of mine

Quackula

jesus. its not gonna be long before it potentially hits wild guns/earthbound levels, then.

even like 6 months ago, the jump wasnt as bad as right now. im wondering if it'll level off when the new gen really gets going or what.

but yeah, you're totally right about pawn shops, i kept looking for genesis deals & seeing salvation army and the like, charging high prices for loose carts! they clearly are in on the loop, sadly.

Stuff doubling in price in just a few months isn't normal. I really want to know what the sudden spike everywhere has been about.

Prices have absolutely shot up just over the last year. I don't know how this site figures out their prices, but they update every day (I believe based on ebay, amazon, and half.com prices). http://videogames.pricecharting.com/console/super-nintendo?sort-by=name

Just some random choices, over the last year:

(Feb 2012 to Feb 2013)

Adventures of Batman and Robin: 24.18 - 34.97
Chrono Trigger: 42.50 - 71.83
Castlevania 4: 25.38 - 32.58
Mario All Stars: 14.46 - 19.55
Mega Man X: 16.73 - 23.40 (actually coming down, was at 31.04 last month)
Earthbound: 156.23 - 217.50
Super Metroid: 29.09 - 42.98

Those seems like pretty huge jumps for just 12 months. The site only has data back to end of 2006, but shit gets insane if you look at that huge of a timeline:

(Dec 2006 - Feb 2013)

Earthbound: 62.49 - 217.50
Super Ghouls and Ghosts: 5.99 - 13.99
Mario World: 5.99 - 12.50
Link to the Past: 11.45 - 33.85
Final Fantasy 3: 27.82 - 44.63
Super Metroid: 17.95 - 42.98

Some things aren't as crazy. Mario RPG is actually trending pretty low right now, same with Mario Kart. But, the crazy thing is that even though those records go back to 2006, most of them really didn't start to climb up until 2011-2012.

Quackula

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
yeah prices on everything are going nuts i passed up on a TMNT tournament fighters for nes about 2 months ago thinking $80 was a little high and now its at $140 i wanted to cry :( should of snagged it

Quackula

You know, it's weird. Despite NES sorta having a simliar spike, I was able to get like 70-80 games for it dirt cheap a few months back without much effort. Lots of genuinely good titles too. It's still pretty easy to snag huge lots of genesis and n64 games as well.

I don't ever seem to find people dumping big SNES lots for some reason.

The thought that the cost of Earthbound today would have been enough to buy three copies back in 2006, and have enough left over for Final Fantasy 3, is pretty crazy.

Linkhero1

This spike sucks. The worst is when you end up buying a game for, what you probably think, is a good deal. Then you go and compare it to two years ago and realize you're lying to yourself :(

Reclaimer

Is this place legit? I need to repair my NES and the cleaning fluid stuffs will come in handy so... yeah? Yay or nay?

http://www.nintendorepairshop.com/products/78-1-Nintendo-NES-Total-Repair-Kit/

Thinking about it I might have gotten the link from this thread anyway but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

Yes, Nintendo Repair Shop is an upstanding business with good products, from my few experiences with them.

Their cleaning kits and drier bits are pretty good. They also sell decent replacement buttons for controllers.

I'd say give em a try if you see something you think you'd make use of!

This spike sucks. The worst is when you end up buying a game for, what you probably think, is a good deal. Then you go and compare it to two years ago and realize you're lying to yourself :(

Think of it this way. In another two years you'll look at the even higher prices and realize you got a really good deal.

IrishNinja

i really think the spike would be an interesting thread on its own, to talk about reasons why - beyond just the speculative market. its not a normal rise at all.

You know, it's weird. Despite NES sorta having a simliar spike, I was able to get like 70-80 games for it dirt cheap a few months back without much effort. Lots of genuinely good titles too. It's still pretty easy to snag huge lots of genesis and n64 games as well.

i started re-buying my genesis stuff in lots, but many people either sell rare stuff separate, or group them in high-price lots. there's obviously exceptions - but i tried to study a median by looking at completed sales, and even then only the last 3 months or so, again before said spike (for rarer titles anyway). but here on GAFs buy/sell and a few other spots you can totally get lucky - i found a dude here in downtown miami 2 weeks back, wanted about $10 for hyperstone heist, streets of rage 2, dynamite headdy, revenge of shinobi, sonic 3 & earthworm jim, plus 2 six button genesis controllers. granted, they were all loose & not really rare, but that was an awesome deal cause he just didn't know/care. as said earlier in this thread: fuck the spike, just be patient, sort out a price you think is fair, then keep your eyes pealed. more and more people/places are aware of the spike, sadly, but you can still work things out, especially with trades!

again, around the same time my old buddy gave me nearly 20 SNES carts he had lying about - some of it was ren & stimpy, rise of the robots, bubsy etc but some of it was mega max x2!

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
yard sales are your best bet for deals at this point all the flea markets ive seen have been aware of ebay pricing same with pawn shops guess could try your luck with goodwill type stores or the rare people who dun goofed on ebay or amazon

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Yes, Nintendo Repair Shop is an upstanding business with good products, from my few experiences with them.

Their cleaning kits and drier bits are pretty good. They also sell decent replacement buttons for controllers.

I'd say give em a try if you see something you think you'd make use of!

Arigato!

Rezae

While an overly long current generation (likely resulting in gamer fatigue with current style games) is a large factor in price increases, along with disposable income in the agegroup that grew up with SNES, I've noticed something else at some of the retro shops I've stopped at in my travels lately: those unofficial Retro-bit consoles seem like they've gotten popular.

A few weekends ago I stopped at two shops a few hours apart and both times there were customers inquiring about those. The flea market I go to down the street always stocks a good supply too. Apparently they're hot sellers (at least at the shops I stopped at). Customers find it "so cool" you can play multiple systems on the same console, and they're really cheap.

Of course I'm too lazy to burst peoples bubble on how accurate these systems are, but it wouldn't surprise me if these retro systems are having some impact.

Fox Mulder

I don't ever seem to find people dumping big SNES lots for some reason.

A lot of the nes is cheap, just some big expensive titles at the top. I think the n64's day is coming, as the people that grew up with it are getting out of college and out in the world with jobs and the patents expire for the console in a year or two. I'd totally buy the retron 4 with n64 support.

IrishNinja

^damn, good call Raz...i totally forgot about them, cause i never bothered after reading how unfaithful they are to sound/etc and compatibility issues, but the truth is they're dead-sexy appealing, having several systems in one/bringing so many games on board. i mean you know shit's taken off when wal-mart's stocking the non-bootleg ones, haha.

every time i check my local CL, i see a few dudes offering to install emulators/ROMs for like a $20, it's hilarious

yard sales are your best bet for deals at this point all the flea markets ive seen have been aware of ebay pricing same with pawn shops guess could try your luck with goodwill type stores or the rare people who dun goofed on ebay or amazon

yard sales seem to be the best bet, but im in a big apt community so they just dont happen for me. when i move back to the suburbs ill be all over these, it was so cool being up early on a weekend and just walking around/seeing all this shit out there for you to haggle with - 5 books for a dollar? fuck yeah!

i tried using the garage sale section on cragistlist but its vague as hell, and usually updated like the morning of shit going down, so even if they list "NINTENDO SOMETHING" i assume it's gone by the time i see it...

IrishNinja

Battletoads: Battlemaniacs (SNES) holds up well for me, i havent played the crossover in forever so i can't say.

oh yeah, one of the games my boy gave me was Double Dragon V, its a particularly shitty vs game rather than a beat-em-up and only good if you wanna use the cart itself to put a decent game into or something

Top Bottom