• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Are any of the Battletoads or Double Dragon games worth collecting? I only played the NES versions of these games.
Although the music is great and the graphics are cleaned up (compared to the NES version), I didn't care for the jump/hit button layout of BT Vs DD on SNES.

Edit: I kind of misunderstood your question... As far as Double Dragon is concerned, I'd say Super Double Dragon is a letdown. I see it has a cult following now, but I don't get it, as it is rather plodding and kind of choppy, too. You're better sticking with Double Dragon 2 (or even 1 and 3, the latter of which I don't dislike as most people, though it's hard as nails).

Linkhero1

Battletoads: Battlemaniacs (SNES) holds up well for me, i havent played the crossover in forever so i can't say.

oh yeah, one of the games my boy gave me was Double Dragon V, its a particularly shitty vs game rather than a beat-em-up and only good if you wanna use the cart itself to put a decent game into or something

Is it really that bad? I was close to buying it a few weeks ago, but glad I held off.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
hell yes they are speaking of just dropped $50 on nes version of battletoads double dragon yesterday anyway yeah try and grab battletoads for nes (genesis port is meh), battletoads in battle maniacs, battletoads double dragon (all 3 versions if you can), double dragon 1-3 nes versions (stay away from the genesis ports) and super double dragon for snes

IrishNinja

damn, i guess i gotta play BT vs DD again then, something to look forward to

Is it really that bad? I was close to buying it a few weeks ago, but glad I held off.

it's from that era where a lotta people were doing forgettable fighters: deadly moves, time killers, rise of the robots, cosmic carnage etc...there's just nothing memorable/enjoyable there, between the basic move sets & such unless you really really dug the animated series.

i had more fun with TMNT Tournament Fighters, myself.

Neathyr

I've been following this thread ever since it was created. It's actually a honor for my first post to be on a SNES-related thread, heh.
Not really sure if this is some coincidence but I too started hunting some SNES games since last Christmas. Thankfully, I'm only buying the games that have a great replay value. To me, at least. My, uh... "collection" won't hit the 30 mark, and that's small as hell to some people, but that's not a problem. Already got Super Bomberman 5, Killer Instinct, Super Metroid, Street Racer, Hyper V-Ball, among other classics. Managed to grab Final Fight 3 for $34 a couple of weeks ago. A great deal if you ask me.
The sad thing is, with the constant rise of SNES prices, my gaming budget is starting to get a little out of hand...

Over time I do anticipate the value of these games to steadily rise, but a beat-up cart for 178.00 for Wild Guns does not seem to warrant the sort of collector prices IMO.

Yeah I think Wild Guns is a fantastic game too, especially with two players, but is it truly worth that much? I don't know.

While I consider Wild Guns to be a great game, it's not worth its current asking price. It's a bit on the easy side and really slim in content, so if you're going to replay a game for score, I'd say there are better (and cheaper) options out there.

Are any of the Battletoads or Double Dragon games worth collecting? I only played the NES versions of these games.

If you really want a SNES Battletoads game, I'd suggest the crossover over Battlemaniacs, but only if you can find it for cheap. It's a decent fun, but it's nothing really special. If you already own NES Battletoads, then you don't need to bother with Battlemaniacs. But that's just my opinion.

As for Double Dragon, get Return of Double Dragon. There are some significant gameplay changes compared to the US version that easily favors its japanese counterpart.
And while you're at it, try to get your hands on Ghost Chaser Densei. It's easily the beat 'em up with the best combat system on the SNES with tons of different moves, juggles, dual attacks, you name it.

If you really want a SNES Battletoads game, I'd suggest the crossover over Battlemaniacs, but only if you can find it for cheap. It's a decent fun, but it's nothing really special. If you already own NES Battletoads, then you don't need to bother with Battlemaniacs. But that's just my opinion.

As for Double Dragon, get Return of Double Dragon. There are some significant gameplay changes compared to the US version that easily favors its japanese counterpart.
And while you're at it, try to get your hands on Ghost Chaser Densei. It's easily the beat 'em up with the best combat system on the SNES with tons of different moves, juggles, dual attacks, you name it.

Good info. Thanks

So is there a list of the best "affordable" games (under $15-20)?

I just picked up starfox for 7 and super r type for 5. I'm wondering what else might be fun in this price range as I can't drop $50 all the time, like I just did with sunset riders

depths20XX

So is there a list of the best "affordable" games (under $15-20)?

I just picked up starfox for 7 and super r type for 5. I'm wondering what else might be fun in this price range as I can't drop $50 all the time, like I just did with sunset riders

Off the top of my head:

Super Ghouls n' Ghosts ($5-10)
Super Punch-Out ($10)
Gradius III ($5-10)
Donkey Kong Country ($15)
Tetris Attack ($10-15)
Magic Sword ($5-10)
Super Turrican ($5-10)
UN Squadron ($10-15)
Super Smash TV ($5)

Honestly there are a lot of shmups for 5-10 that you can find also.

Super Turrican is more like $22-$30+ now. (Also, I cry when I see the prices of Super Turrican 2 now; I owned the game at least twice and ended up selling them for cheap as I didn't really care for it.)

I'm surprised Super Punch-Out!! is that cheap, still. Great game!

You guys probably already know, but a good place to check is the nintendo age forum. Someone was selling super turrican for $11 yesterday. never got back to my offer though

Mzo

If you already own NES Battletoads, then you don't need to bother with Battlemaniacs. But that's just my opinion.

This is crazy. Why would owning the NES game keep you from buying the excellent sequel? If you have NES Zelda there's no reason to buy Link to the Past. But that's just my opinion.

Battlemaniacs isn't exactly an "all new" game per se. It recycles several stages from the NES and added huge sprites + more platforming than necessary (if memory serves correct).

Neathyr

This is crazy. Why would owning the NES game keep you from buying the excellent sequel? If you have NES Zelda there's no reason to buy Link to the Past. But that's just my opinion.

For some reason, Battlemaniacs always felt like a NES Battletoads remake to me, only easier and incredibly shorter. It's worth checking out, that's for sure, but not something that I need to buy.
I don't get the Zelda comparison, since they are both completely different games.

Parallacs

Off the top of my head:

Super Ghouls n' Ghosts ($5-10)
Super Punch-Out ($10)
Gradius III ($5-10)
Donkey Kong Country ($15)
Tetris Attack ($10-15)
Magic Sword ($5-10)
Super Turrican ($5-10)
UN Squadron ($10-15)
Super Smash TV ($5)

Honestly there are a lot of shmups for 5-10 that you can find also.

To add to this excellent list:

Raiden Trad ($12)
Cybernator ($11)
Mario Paint ($1)
Kirby Avalanche ($8)
Ignition Factor ($8)
Earthworm Jim ($12)
Aladdin ($5)
Lost Vikings ($15)
Super Star Wars Series ($10 - $20)
Street Fighter 2 ($8 - $15)
F-Zero ($5)
Batman Returns ($8)
Killer Instinct ($10)
Mario is Missing ($3) - hey, it's a fun game if you are under 12

Fox Mulder

What should I do with boxes if I have no interest in them? I only really care about the carts and maybe the manuals, and have no desire to keep cardboard boxes. My friend gave me some SNES games he had and the boxes are in the condition you'd expect for stuff this old, certainly nothing you'd send to get graded.

ctTP55W.jpg

Regarding the spike in prices, it's clear to me that the numerous YouTube "shows" about retro gaming have had an impact. Before, you had to search the internet by yourself to read and learn about rare/overlooked games. Also, to judge if a game was to your taste aesthetically, you had to go by small screenshots, not unlike gaming magazines. That's what I used to do: I visited Hardcore Gaming 101's previous incarnation (via the Castlevania Dungeon) and other similar sites to learn more about games I may have missed.

Nowadays, it's all there, aggregated and readily accessible in video form on YouTube. You don't have to be "hardcore" to know about Snatcher, MUSHA or Radiant Silvergun these days.

GulAtiCa

What should I do with boxes if I have no interest in them? I only really care about the carts and maybe the manuals, and have no desire to keep cardboard boxes. My friend gave me some SNES games he had and the boxes are in the condition you'd expect for stuff this old, certainly nothing you'd send to get graded.

Put them on eBay. You can make some money for those.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Is Combattribes any good? Is it "worth" a great deal? Loose carts are going for about £17/$25... I liked the Arcade version well enough.

ys45

Hey Gaffers, what's your oppinion on Paladin Quest ?

Saw the game at 50$ CIB IIRC this game was bad right ?

Think il try it on emulator tonight .

Neathyr

Regarding the spike in prices, it's clear to me that the numerous YouTube "shows" about retro gaming have had an impact. Before, you had to search the internet by yourself to read and learn about rare/overlooked games. Also, to judge if a game was to your taste aesthetically, you had to go by small screenshots, not unlike gaming magazines. That's what I used to do: I visited Hardcore Gaming 101's previous incarnation (via the Castlevania Dungeon) and other similar sites to learn more about games I may have missed.

Nowadays, it's all there, aggregated and readily accessible in video form on YouTube. You don't have to be "hardcore" to know about Snatcher, MUSHA or Radiant Silvergun these days.

Not to mention there are more people playing videogames now than during the console's heyday. And videogame forums had a huge boost in popularity when the previous generation was coming to an end, probably due to the advent of the internet. It's also becoming clear to me that Orkut, Facebook and the likes might have something to do with it.

Is Combattribes any good? Is it "worth" a great deal? Loose carts are going for about £17/$25... I liked the Arcade version well enough.

Eh, not really. It's not that replayable, at the very least. To me, the only SNES beat 'em ups that are really worth picking up are Super Double Dragon (the JP version), Final Fight 3 and the aforementioned Ghost Chaser Densei. Maybe Rushing Beat Shura...
The other ones have an extremely outdated combat system (not unlike most titles of the genre, to be honest...).

McBradders

Eh, not really. It's not that replayable, at the very least. To me, the only SNES beat 'em ups that are really worth picking up are Super Double Dragon (the JP version), Final Fight 3 and the aforementioned Ghost Chaser Densei. Maybe Rushing Beat Shura...
The other ones have an extremely outdated combat system (not unlike most titles of the genre, to be honest...).

I have Super Double Dragon (US and JAP)... Final Fight 3, Ghost Chaser and Shura are really expensive though. Might see what's up in a few weeks once my current bidding madness has subsided somewhat :)

Neathyr

I have Super Double Dragon (US and JAP)... Final Fight 3, Ghost Chaser and Shura are really expensive though. Might see what's up in a few weeks once my current bidding madness has subsided somewhat :)

I forgot to mention Pirates of the Dark Water. Really fun game, but too similar to Final Fight 3 and with less moves to play around with.
As for Shura, you can always get the more affordable NA version (under the name The Peace Keepers). They changed the character portraits in the character select screen for whatever reason and kinda fucked up the music, but if you're ok with that, then go for it.

Yeah, FF3 is really expensive, but maybe you can get lucky too.
I recall GCD being significantly cheaper if you can somehow buy it from Japan without having to deal with eBay, but it's so worth it. It will require you several playthroughs to master its excellent combat system. And the tag team moves can get really fun too. A truly overlooked gem that never got the attention it deserves. It's the only game in the Denjin Makai series that received a console port, if I remember.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I like this box art better so I can only play this on a US console if you clip the tabs? Maybe I'll just get it for the collection.
That's correct. You'd have to clip the tabs on the console itself. Or use a pass through adaptor or a Game Genie or something.

Might be useful to know that Super Metroid is literally the exact same rom worldwide. It will have full English and everything.

The cover art is awesome, 10 times better than the American version. Shame I already own Metroid CIB.

I wish the Super Famicom version of Harvest Moon had full english, I'd just buy that bad boy instead.

Linkhero1

Is there a list of SFC games that are in English or playable without having to know Japanese? I might end up buying SFC version of the expensive games.

Neathyr

Is there a list of SFC games that are in English or playable without having to know Japanese? I might end up buying SFC version of the expensive games.

In most non-RPG games you can easily work your way around things, as long as you know the menus, items names, mechanics and maybe the levels. The dialogs are generally useless in gameplay-heavy games, so you can just Youtube those parts and write down the translation yourself.

Not to mention there are more people playing videogames now than during the console's heyday.

Eh, not really. It's not that replayable, at the very least.
That's a good point, never thought of that.

Yes, indeed, Combatribes is pretty bad/boring. Final Fight 3 is a good one (for Capcom, the music is rather underwhelming, though). I enjoy King of Dragons and Knights of the Round myself, as well as Sonic Blast Man 2 and Final Fight 2. Most beat 'em ups on the sytem are lackluster.

Neathyr

Final Fight 3 is a good one (for Capcom, the music is rather underwhelming, though). I enjoy King of Dragons and Knights of the Round myself, as well as Sonic Blast Man 2 and Final Fight 2. Most beat 'em ups on the sytem are lackluster.

After playing Final Fight 3, I find it hard to go back to the earlier installments, and FF2 is actually the first I game I bought with my own money back in the mid to late 90's. Yes, FF3 is easier than its predecessors, but the combat received a much needed overhaul and the characters move faster. I mean, you can't even run in FF2! There's pretty much no movelist involved, while in FF3 you have your usual 3/4/5-hit combo by mashing the Y button until you're done, plus a weapon of choice for the regular Y combo, Lucia's Flaming Air Kick, Dean's Shock Punch, Guy's Fireball, Lucia's Bird Kick, Dean's Long Grab, back throws, a 3rd way to throw your opponent, running attacks (giving another combo possibility for Guy, Lucia and Haggar and a semi-crowd control move for Dean), and of course, the Supermove. Don't get me wrong: I like the simplicity in the series, but the first two games are way too simplistic in the gameplay department.

Maybe it's just me, but the music in the final level is way too memorable. And highly nostalgic too. I'm probably a little biased with this post, but I love this game so much. A Final Fight 4 with a God Hand-like combat along with the entire cast from the first 3 Final Fights to choose from would be a system seller to me. The series has so much potential, but I get a little sad everytime I remember the fact that it's dead.

-KRS-

Finally ordered an SD2SNES last week. Still waiting for it to arrive though. I might do a write-up on it when I receive it or something. Really excited to try it out and experiment with a bunch of romhacks and demos and stuff. With this I'll finally have flashcarts for all my retro consoles; NES, SNES, N64 and GB/GBC. I just love the technology and what they allow you to do, so that's how I justify spending that kind of money on them. :p

Unfortunately that means no SNES game purchases this month because I don't have much disposable income each month. But next month I have a couple of games I've had my eye on for a while that I'll be looking out for. And there are a lot of games that are good and still cheap that I don't have yet. I imagine quite a few of those games will be purchased. :)

Might be useful to know that Super Metroid is literally the exact same rom worldwide. It will have full English and everything.

That's not completely true I think. The PAL version I have, have an option to use either German or French subtitles instead of Japanese. And you have to have either German or French subs. You can't turn them off. But yes, the game itself is in English in all regions if I understand correctly.

Edit: Speaking of regions, has anyone mentioned the added factor for European collectors which is the different regions in Europe? Since Europe is the way it is with different languages and all that, there were a lot of different regions that a PAL game could be released in. I know in Scandinavia, games which have the SCN region will fetch a much higher price than say one that is marked NOE or UKV etc. And there are collectors here who only collect the SCN version of games if it exists. Is that also the case in those other regions? Like are the UKV versions more expensive in the UK than the German NOE releases?

Personally I don't really care as long as the game is in English, or is simple enough that language is not a barrier. I used to be more willing to spend more money on an SCN release but nowadays those have shot up so much in price over here that I can't justify it when I can get the exact same game for cheaper only a different region. Especially if I'm only buying the cartridge I will not care at all. CIB is a bit different because I'd like to have the Scandinavian manuals if possible. But otherwise I'll happily get a German copy as long as it's in English. There's quite a lot of German games that are not in English though. I'm always jealous of the Germans and their really really cheap RPGs for the SNES though. At least they're cheap on tradera.com, because not a lot of people want them. Secret of Mana for €3 for a cart? Check. Can't play it though because it's in German. Lucky Germans! :D

McBradders

I've spent all fucking night looking for a reasonably priced copy of Ghost ChaserDensei to no avail.

Thanks, thread T___T

Top Bottom