• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

I don't think any games were optimized were they? Sure as hell didn't feel like it. Euroland was quite literally the last consideration in gaming back in those days.

It's funny thinking about how we used to have to wait years before a game would be localized and sent from Japan to other countries. I remember reading Nintendo Power and seeing all the previews and being super jealous of Japan.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Now that some of you mention it, after playing a bit of Sunset Riders I find myself craving more Western games. Wild Guns is out of my affordable price range, so what else is there?

If you're not limiting yourself to the SNES, there's always Gun.Smoke for the NES.

Zing

Banned
I don't think any games were optimized were they? Sure as hell didn't feel like it. Euroland was quite literally the last consideration in gaming back in those days.
Super Mario Kart was notorious for being sped up in the code. Nintendo sped up the internal timer to make it run accurately on PAL. This has the hilarious effect of making the PAL game run faster than real time on NTSC.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Super Mario Kart was notorious for being sped up in the code. Nintendo sped up the internal timer to make it run accurately on PAL. This has the hilarious effect of making the PAL game run faster than real time on NTSC.

I think that only applies to the clock running correctly? I switched from PAL to NTSC during my MK heyday and there was a definite noticable difference in performance. Again, I may be misremembering. I am actually old.

I played Terranigma for the first time a couple months ago. It's pretty good. Gameplay-wise I think it's the best of the Blazer Trilogy. But, overall I liked Illusion of Gaia more, mainly because of it's cast of characters. Terranigma is pretty much about the hero with a couple other minor characters, nothing compared to the group in Gaia.

It seemed to be less connected to the other games also. It shares some themes and whatnot, but Gaia felt far more directly connected to Blazer than this does (especially if you get all the gems in Gaia so you can fight the hidden boss). But, Terranigma is tons of fun. It has a pretty robust set of armor and weapons that you switch between based on the situation and is a bit faster paced than the previous games. Also has a bit of an equipment system, but for the most part you find the equipment and equip it. So, if you need to get under water, you find the item that lets you go under water. Not like Zelda where now you have a boomerang or hook shot with multiple uses. It's more like, "I need to go under water. Now I can go under water."

Overall I'd personally rank it in the middle. Liked it more than Blazer, less than Gaia. They're all three pretty awesome.

Actraiser is another Enix game that shares similarities (although it is not a part of the Soulblazer/Illusion/Terranigma trilogy) and should appeal to fans of those games. It is also relatively cheap to buy.

On replay, I'm pretty shocked that the game was localized due to the religious aspects.

I really need to get Actraiser. I got part two a month ago 'cause I found it locally for $10, but haven't touched it since I obviously want to play the first one first. I really know nothing about them other than I vaguely recall playing part one for a minute as a kid and being very confused.

I really need to get Actraiser. I got part two a month ago 'cause I found it locally for $10, but haven't touched it since I obviously want to play the first one first. I really know nothing about them other than I vaguely recall playing part one for a minute as a kid and being very confused.
ActRaiser 2 sucks

ActRaiser 2 sucks

nrjswZH.jpg

I'm a completionist any way. If I'm going to get part one, I obviously have to get part two also.

Actraiser 1 is a mix of action rpg and simulation and the gameplay is nice and varied, although the sword swinging mechanics can be a bit janky. What's really cool is that some of the platforming areas are non-linear and can be traversed in multiple ways.

Actraiser 2 really upped the platforming elements and graphics but removed the sim and rpg parts. Unfortunately, the changes were not for the better.

I think most people prefer 1.

Linkhero1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/King-of-Dragons-Super-Nintendo-1994-TESTED-GOOD-capcom-/261178084217?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item3ccf6d4b79

Not bad for what looks like a very good condition cart of King of Dragons.

So I've been offered a copy of E.V.O in trade for my copies of DuckTales 2(very good condition), Ocarina of Time(great cart, label slightly faded), Mario Party 2(with some stickers on it) and Pokemon Puzzle League. That seems like a good deal right?
If you can easily pick those up again then I would go for it.

Peagles

Bought Super Metroid (just the cart) for $20 NZD (about $16 USD) and despite being a Metroid fan this is the first time I have owned this game. Playing through now, and it really is amazing!

If you can easily pick those up again then I would go for it.

DuckTales 2, I don't mind giving up, same with MP2 and PPL. Ocarina is a double.

I just hate giving up DuckTales 2 since it was such good trade bait and now that's one less carrot on the stick haha.

Long as his copy of E.V.O. looks good, I think I'll do it! Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it!

depths20XX

ActRaiser 2 sucks

It's really not the bad. The platforming is better than the first one.

I think people look back on ActRaiser as some super fun game but I just played through it recently and the city building portions are pretty boring honestly, there's like no way you can fail. Even the platforming sections are really easy.

Cool concept but mediocre game overall.

Bought Super Metroid (just the cart) for $20 NZD (about $16 USD) and despite being a Metroid fan this is the first time I have owned this game. Playing through now, and it really is amazing!

I've played through Super Metroid more times than I can count. I played it last week for the first time in years and I finally learned how to wall jump. Looking on youtube, there are so many nifty little glitches and tricks you can pull off in this game. You should check out some of the sequence breaking and trick vids.

You know guys, it's constantly getting harder and harder to find SNES games, or anything classic, at garage sales. Makes me sad. I've still got a few gems I need to find.

Last thing I managed to get for a deal was this. I talked them from $0.75 down to $0.50.

Sword Familiar

I'm definitely not limiting myself to SNES, but I was also wondering whether the SNES had any other Western games as well. I'll definitely check out Gun.Smoke.

There are not that many western themed at all on any system. On the SNES there's Wild Guns and Sunset Riders, but that's about it if you don't also count the RPG Live-A-Live, which had a short, western themed chapter in it. What amazes me is the high quality of the western games I've played. It seems that every other game is at least enjoyable.

You know guys, it's constantly getting harder and harder to find SNES games, or anything classic, at garage sales. Makes me sad. I've still got a few gems I need to find.

Last thing I managed to get for a deal was this. I talked them from $0.75 down to $0.50.

I love the Nintendo Power guides for the older games. Once found a good copy of the Super Mario RPG guide for like a quarter at the flea market. I refuse to part with it, even if I don't need it to beat the game anymore!

DoubleTap

What's a good Mode 7 racing game besides F Zero and Top Gear? Super Famicom suggestions are welcome as long as the text doesn't get in the way of enjoying it.

Olly88

I think it may be a good time for me to start buying NTSC games. On of my most wanted games is Secret of Mana, and someone on another forum is selling a pretty much mint CIB (map and everything) copy for about £40. The cheapest PAL one on eBay is £90 and in pretty rough shape.

Is $63, what it works out to, a good price for the US version?

Sword Familiar

What's a good Mode 7 racing game besides F Zero and Top Gear? Super Famicom suggestions are welcome as long as the text doesn't get in the way of enjoying it.

Might be too obvious, but Super Mario Kart and Street Racer are both pretty good racers.

Neathyr

Street Racer. Another overlooked gem that happens to be a great Mario Kart clone. The racing itself is kind of fail, but it excels in its multiplayer component (in this aspect, it's better than Super Mario Kart, but that's just me). You can play soccer using your own kart and defeat your opponents by pushing them into the chasm in the Arena, but make sure to play this mode on Hard difficulty, so there are no... Hmm, I don't know how you call it in English, but I think they are "obstacles" or something like that.

It's fairly cheap too.

Gerald

Is there a Buy/Sell thread that'd be good for posting Super Famicom stuff? I've got a huge box of minty games in their boxes that I'd like to offload.

There are not that many western themed at all on any system. On the SNES there's Wild Guns and Sunset Riders, but that's about it if you don't also count the RPG Live-A-Live, which had a short, western themed chapter in it. What amazes me is the high quality of the western games I've played. It seems that every other game is at least enjoyable.

There was also Lethal Enforcers II: Gun Fighters which was a Konami light gun game.

Edit: Oops. I guess they never released it for SNES.

Sword Familiar

There was also Lethal Enforcers II: Gun Fighters which was a Konami light gun game.

Just looked it up. Didn't know about that one, but, sadly, it doesn't look very good.

Edit: Yeah, the first one seems to be available at least, but it isn't a western game.

DoubleTap

Street Racer. Another overlooked gem that happens to be a great Mario Kart clone. The racing itself is kind of fail, but it excels in its multiplayer component (in this aspect, it's better than Super Mario Kart, but that's just me). You can play soccer using your own kart and defeat your opponents by pushing them into the chasm in the Arena, but make sure to play this mode on Hard difficulty, so there are no... Hmm, I don't know how you call it in English, but I think they are "obstacles" or something like that.

It's fairly cheap too.

Might be too obvious, but Super Mario Kart and Street Racer are both pretty good racers.

I should have mentioned that I do have Mario Kart and was hoping for some non-kart racing. I forgot about Street Racer. I might still give that a try.

Thanks!

It's fairly cheap too.

The racing is kind of fail? What? Street Racer's racing is great, I like it more than Super Mario Kart for sure... it has better (less skiddy) controls. As for the multiplayer, that certainly is good too, plus Street Racer actually has a four player splitscreen mode, something you won't find in SMK.

Olly88

Are PAL and NTSC SNES boxes the same size? I assume they are but I was just wondering.

Sorry for asking another question.

Snagged that S-Video Cable I had my eye on. Managed to talk the store clerk into giving it to me for $7. Works like a charm, too.

Now all I need to do is pick up a SFC and/or PAL controller and a security screwdriver to open up my SNES to get rid of those plastic tabs, and I'll be content with my setup.

Yes Boss!

Actraiser 1 is a mix of action rpg and simulation and the gameplay is nice and varied, although the sword swinging mechanics can be a bit janky. What's really cool is that some of the platforming areas are non-linear and can be traversed in multiple ways.

Actraiser 2 really upped the platforming elements and graphics but removed the sim and rpg parts. Unfortunately, the changes were not for the better.

I think most people prefer 1.

Don't forget about Professional Mode that opens up once you beat it...all the platforming levels linked together and enemies take more hits to kill.

bomer

Quick question, any one keep their old game collection(s) in a backpack? I was thinking about best ways to store as I currently have two cardboard boxes, one for SNES and one for N64 and boy do those bad boys get dusty quick.

I took my n64 away for a romantic weekend (cause we're that couple) and left my N64 and stack of games in the bag and thought, hey this'll keep dust out, is easy to grab chords and system to setup and if I want to take it anywear it's good to go!

I obviously don't play them every week, but when I pull something out I'll soak a good 10 hours into it on a weekend. I largely want to keep it organised and dust free as my room is fulling up with my man collections of comics, games and blurays.

Anyone done this? Is it a bad idea? I think to have a SNES backpack and an N64 backpack is kind of boss. NES I'm keep in another room for now.

Peagles

Pick a PAL controller: it has a longer cord (and I personally enjoy the fact that it says Super Nintendo - not Famicom - on the controller; symmetry ftw).

As I sit on an ottoman less than 2m from my TV playing Super Metroid, I concur.

I think I'll have to grab a PAL controller from my parents' place, doh!

^
Nice

Once I have a house so I can have a dedicated office I want to get boxes for my NES/SNES. Already have the box to my Genesis, so now I feel like I have to. Figure I'll have a shelf for each system and the box at the top. Just need to buy a house.

Zing

Banned
The systems with only two rubber feet (instead of four) and the warning sticker will almost never be yellowed. These are the newer revision with different plastic.

IrishNinja

what the fuck did these kids do to their games?! just awful. i didn't keep my cardboard boxes either but damn, have some standards -_-'

bill0527

I started SNES collecting last September. I am having absolutely no luck with garage sales or Craigslist in my area. Seems anything of value out there has been scooped up by other collectors or resellers looking to make bank.

bill0527

yeah, that's a sexy SNES. given how many have yellowed out (so glad my current one hasnt yet), that one looks immaculate.

Mine had completely yellowed, so I took it apart last year and gave the case a pearl white paint job. Doesn't look all that great since it was the first time I tried to do something like that. But looks a lot better than that nicotine stained looking yellow. I read the tutorial on how to make retrobrite, but said fuck it. I was never good at chemistry or mixing shit together. Probably blow up my house, or burn my hands off in some kind of mishap.

plc268

I started SNES collecting last September. I am having absolutely no luck with garage sales or Craigslist in my area. Seems anything of value out there has been scooped up by other collectors or resellers looking to make bank.

The way things are now, you have to be super competitive in hunting for retro games if you want anything good. There's people that make buying and reselling retro games a job. Not surprising, since it can be lucrative.

smbu2000

ah, never knew that - did any of the internals switch? if not, that'd make the late model superior, for me. good to know!
Yes the internals did switch. The later ones are generally better with the 1CHIP version (about 1995) being the best out of the original models, I believe. The SNES mini/SFC junior has the best picture quality even above the 1CHIP version, but it can only output composite video (unless you mod it.)

Out of my 5 super famicoms, 1 is 1993 (GPM I think), 1 is 1994 (RGB-01), 2 are 1995 (APU-01) and 1 is 1995 (1CHIP). If you open your snes/sfc up then it will say what model/year it is on the board.

http://sd2snes.de/blog/archives/75
http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?144910-More-Than-One-Version-of-The-SNES-Model-1

Now that you mention it, Skyblazer was actually a pretty nice game. It decently ripped some of Ninja Gaiden NES gameplay.

Best Sony Imagesoft game on the SNES by far.

Hook wasn't too bad either. (Of course, they were made by the same developer.)

Top Bottom