• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

iso135

^

Damn. Where'd you get Metroid for that price? I was ecstatic to get it and Castlevania 4 together for $58 a few weeks ago. You beat me.

Looking at ebay, you did fairly on Mickey Mouse and pretty well on Pocky and Rocky with most carts only going for $35-42 dollar range on ebay there. Good haul.

Got super Metroid at a local music store. The employee was like damn usually we only have sports games for snes...

Got Mickey and pocky at another local music store where they had tons of games just at more current prices. Got Mickey because I really wanted it, and pocky because of curiosity and thinking it was a decent deal.

Gameboy415

I just finished taking pics of my collection!

CIB SNES games:
SNES1_zps24e054b4.jpg

SNES2_zps978adc18.jpg

SNES3_zpsd98b7d40.jpg

SNES4_zps3ca7237a.jpg

SNES5_zpsffba678a.jpg

Loose SNES games (including my newly acquired copy of Chrono Trigger :D ):
SNES6_zps4c267881.jpg

CIB Super Famicom games:
SF1_zpsa6417cbd.jpg

SF2_zps129c2a77.jpg

SF3_zpse9555951.jpg

SF4_zps6697b743.jpg

SF5_zpsb0f6a885.jpg

SF6_zps879d27f0.jpg

Loose Super Famicom games & some accessories:
SF7_zpsc2a0d2a5.jpg

SF8_zps8932f30a.jpg

I know I have a CIB "Nintendo Power" cart with Pocky & Rocky on it tucked away somewhere too, but I wasn't able to find it before taking these photos.

In terms of systems I have:
-Super Nintendo (x3)
-Super Famicom (CIB)
-Super Famicom Jr. (CIB)
-Super Famicom Box (former hotel unit)
-Super Famicom Satellaview Add-on (CIB)

I'm pretty happy with my collection as it is now, but my goal is to get a CIB copy of every first-party game (and the licensed Mario games like Mario is Missing).
Luckily I already have most of the really expensive games I want! haha

Grief.exe

What is the GAF opinion on printing out your own covers and applying to a custom plastic case?

http://www.thecoverproject.net/

Has anyone attempted this? Seems like a viable, and cool, solution to generating a good looking collection without the massive disposable income required to get the actual boxes.

I was thinking about doing this for my GBA, GB, SNES, and N64 collections.

And maybe doing it for my favorite PC games as well and just have empty boxes.

depths20XX

Got a copy of Soul Blazer for $30 and I forget who said it but damn the music is good.

I had only played it on emulator a long time ago so this one is gonna be fun to play through.

bitoriginal

I've got a couple of carts that have bad yellowing on the piece of plastic at the back, does this affect their value? PAL carts btw.

What is the GAF opinion on printing out your own covers and applying to a custom plastic case?

Has anyone attempted this? Seems like a viable, and cool, solution to generating a good looking collection without the massive disposable income required to get the actual boxes.

Shit is awesome. Haven't done it yet, but I definitely intend to as soon as I have the money and space.

This is beautiful:

w3NZig7.jpg

Man, am I glad I got those S-Video Cables. No more blurry text or pixel bleeding! Took some comparison pics just because:

The Top one is Composite, the bottom S-Video

I suck and soldering, but one of these days I'm going to mod my Jr so I can use S-video.

Oh, what the fuck. My Earthbound saves just got wiped. :(

I definitely plan on doing this for my SNES/N64 games once I get some cases.

Oh, what the fuck. My Earthbound saves just got wiped. :(

That sucks. I had this happen with Soul Blazer. Played all night, woke up the next day and went back to it, save gone. I had tested it beforehand, but didn't know the save wouldn't wipe immediately if it needed a new battery, takes a little bit.

Really considering those cases now. The boxes will end up deteoriating but those will keep! And they look darn nice. And it's bloody cheaper too...

Now the question is...should I sell off all my boxes to help fund this endeavor?

Credo

I'd really love to put all my things in a cabinet like you guys, but after having my apartment broken into during college, I'm a bit paranoid about it happening again, even though I'm at home in a safer community now. I've got everything organized now, but it's inside a storage cabinet with a lock on it.

Jhriad

I just finished taking pics of my collection!

CIB SNES games:

Loose SNES games
CIB Super Famicom games:

Loose Super Famicom games & some accessories:

In terms of systems I have:
-Super Nintendo (x3)
-Super Famicom (CIB)
-Super Famicom Jr. (CIB)
-Super Famicom Box (former hotel unit)
-Super Famicom Satellaview Add-on (CIB)
tumblr_mc1zi1nSru1r4t7nto1_500.gif

Very nice CIB collection sir.

Now the question is...should I sell off all my boxes to help fund this endeavor?

Give us a heads up if you decide to. I'm sure there are a few Gaffers that might be interested.

Well you can only get them in batches of 100 for $59 + S/H ($80ish). So that would be like $0.59 per unit (or $0.80 with shipping)

Thats not bad at all. I have a ton of cartridge games that just sit in these empty milk crates. they only have the dust protectors on them.

ls this Castlevania legit or just resealed? I'm picking it up tomorrow from a craigslist ad for $60. Honestly, I don't care if it's sealed as I've been looking for a decently priced copy for awhile. I'm pretty sure it's resealed, but, what say you,
SNES GAF?
8527170130_7fdd75aa58_z.jpg

GulAtiCa

I'm getting a good bit back from my taxes this year ($3,100). I plan to use $500 of it for game collection and rest in my savings. Now only question is do I go small and get a bunch of games or big and get only a few or so bigger games. Decisions, decisions.

inner-G

Banned
ls this Castlevania legit or just resealed? I'm picking it up tomorrow from a craigslist ad for $60. Honestly, I don't care if it's sealed as I've been looking for a decently priced copy for awhile. I'm pretty sure it's resealed, but, what say you,
SNES GAF?
8527170130_7fdd75aa58_z.jpg
Those are all resealed (poorly).

I'm getting a good bit back from my taxes this year ($3,100). I plan to use $500 of it for game collection and rest in my savings. Now only question is do I go small and get a bunch of games or big and get only a few or so bigger games. Decisions, decisions.
2 big games, and a bunch of smaller games/accessories!

Those are all resealed (poorly).

2 big games, and a bunch of smaller games/accessories!

Speaking of games being resealed this looks like one to me. What say you?
$%28KGrHqJHJBIFET+Y,y4TBRHnrNlOjQ~~60_12.JPG

Go big AND small. Buy one or two that you have always wanted and then spend the rest on games that are perhaps no CIB.

Great thread DKJ

I've actually been on a big game collecting kick lately with my systems. I finished up getting the GC, Wii, and Xbox games I wanted. I've built up a good Genesis list, and i'll use this to knock out SNES

IrishNinja

damn, look at those super fami covers... they even did batman better than us. damn.

what's the super Gameboy 2 do different?

as Hero said, i think they're awesome, that's how my SNES, NES, Dreamcast, Saturn etc games are right now (DVD cases for optical media, universal for carts). i love it but bear in mind, as good as cover project is, there's still a few they don't yet have...you can put in requests (i have) but i really don't know any other good places beyond them. i doubt ill ever find a proper cove for Herc's Adventures, heh

mega drive/genesis wins again?

all day

damn, look at those super fami covers... they even did batman better than us. damn.

what's the super Gameboy 2 do different?
It has a link cable port on it, which the original SGB doesn't, and also a couple of SGB-enhanced games have an exclusive border when you play the game with an SGB2. One such game is Tetris DX. Overall though the SGB2 is pretty much the same as the SGB1.

Did people ever actually play Pier Solar? I see it in collection vids a lot, but I haven't heard much about the game itself. Is it pretty good?

Got a copy of Super Metroid and have been playing that for the first time. It has been extremely addictive and I should be wrapping it up soon. I can see why this gets replayed a lot. Worst wall jumping ever though, but I eventually figured it out and it's forgivable considering its age.

SLX

Banned
Has anyone here purchased a SNES handheld? I would love to play them on the go, but the two models I have seen make me just a little hesitant to purchase. Would like to hear opinions on those that have one and what model.

I would assume playing Super Mario Kart on such a small screen may be difficult.

Just picked up Turtles in Time on eBay. I would like to get Demons Crest on the cheap, not worth it right now.

Yeah Super Metroid is a little quirky at first with the wall jumps, but you'll get the hang of it. I'm not as good as those who make speedrun videos.

Did people ever actually play Pier Solar? I see it in collection vids a lot, but I haven't heard much about the game itself. Is it pretty good?

Got a copy of Super Metroid and have been playing that for the first time. It has been extremely addictive and I should be wrapping it up soon. I can see why this gets replayed a lot. Worst wall jumping ever though, but I eventually figured it out and it's forgivable considering its age.

Their Kickstarter was successful so you'll get a chance to play it for cheap. I remember reading the OT when the Kickstarter was announced to see if it was worth backing and I think the reviews were somewhat mixed.

Quackula

The fact that Pier Solar is an indie developed Sega Genesis game with a level of polish that blows away many of the official games on the system is reason enough to want to pick it up I think.

depths20XX

Has anyone here purchased a SNES handheld? I would love to play them on the go, but the two models I have seen make me just a little hesitant to purchase. Would like to hear opinions on those that have one and what model.

I'm kind of interested on how the SupaBoy is. It would be cool to use sometimes if it plays the games accurately (no input lag, etc.). Looks like it even hooks up to a TV and plays SFC games. Dunno how big the screen is though.

Linkhero1

I would assume playing Super Mario Kart on such a small screen may be difficult.

Just picked up Turtles in Time on eBay. I would like to get Demons Crest on the cheap, not worth it right now.

Yeah Super Metroid is a little quirky at first with the wall jumps, but you'll get the hang of it. I'm not as good as those who make speedrun videos.
I messed around with a SupaBoy at a local game store. It's nice and all but pretty clunky.

Reclaimer

I have purchased 2 Supaboy handhelds. You have to go into this expecting some disappointment, unfortunately. The build quality just isn't good enough for long term use.

The earlier version of the Supaboy (packaged in a large clear plastic box), had horrible speakers, crashed or did not boot games with FX chips, had screen flickering issues, and caused many lost saves due to random crashes on most games. There were pretty bad manufacturing problems. I returned this version after getting confirmation of the issues from Hyperkin customer service.

The newer revision of the Supaboy (inside a smaller, black, cardboard box) is a bit better. I've been able to play games with chips, like Starfox and Yoshi's Island. I haven't crashed like with the older revision. The LCD screen is simply "OK"; not super crisp, not too much lag but a bit ghosty, pretty bad viewing angles, just barely gets the job done.

The buttons and Dpad are a bit tight feeling, and the dpad doesn't have the center bump pivot that prevents you from pressing all directions at once. (Though that can be hack-fixed) Playing RPGs is fine, and I've been able to get through a lot of Super Mario World on it, after some time acclimating.

The speakers are still pretty bad, mostly because what sounds like poorly shielded electronics creating noise/hiss.

TV output ranges from poor to ok, and you can't use the actual system as the controller when hooked to a TV. You must plug in additional SNES controllers and use those when in TV mode. Similarly, you can't connect a SNES controller and play off the Supaboy screen. Both these limitations feel like missed opportunities.

Overall, a fun little toy to fool around with maybe play once in a while.... I mean, it's this crazy oversized SNES controller with a screen in the middle and a full sized cart sticking out the top... And it (technically) works! Nostalgia-cool! But it's in no way a proper SNES replacement.

I think you'll most likely be better off with a Retrode and a GCW-Zero. Currently, I'm playing a similar setup, using my Retrode to move my saves/games between my carts for home TV use and my iPad for portable emulation, and then back again to keep my Chrono Trigger progress up to date on my cart. I plan on doing the same with the Zero when its released later this month.

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but...

Are any of those SNES "retro" consoles I see all over eBay worth it? Particularly the dual-loader NES/SNES ones? I've heard the sound is always altered.

I looked into that Retrode, but I'd rather play on a separate tv, away from my computer.

Linkhero1

I always wanted a Retrode but wasn't able to find a place that sells one. Their shop is down :(

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but...

Are any of those SNES "retro" consoles I see all over eBay worth it? Particularly the dual-loader NES/SNES ones? I've heard the sound is always altered.

I looked into that Retrode, but I'd rather play on a separate tv, away from my computer.

You're better off with an actual SNES in that case.

For ages I thought the wall jumping in Super Metroid was actually a glitch and you weren't supposed to be able to do it.

I'm playing through the game right now, and at times it feels more like a glitch than implemented gameplay. Fortunately you don't need to use it that much to make it through and it's really the only flaw I have with the game.

ryan-ts

I could not do wall jumping for the life of me so I let my friend try... took him about 10 tries before he had the hang of it. He had never even played the game before :/

Top Bottom