• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

GulAtiCa

Pier Solar is pretty cool. I bought it way back in 08 or so during the first release. Won't be too long till I have the Dreamcast version and the Wii U version! lol

Reclaimer

Do Retrodes save games to the cart itself, or just through a file on the emulator software?

You can use the Retrode to transfer saves from cart to computer, and from computer to cart. You can use this to backup saves, or transfer them to a new cart. Some emulators even save directly to the cart if its plugged in.

You can also transfer the cart's rom from the cart to your computer. This way you have an exact legit copy of your cart rom to use with emulators.

You can NOT overwrite cart A with cart B's rom.

I always wanted a Retrode but wasn't able to find a place that sells one. Their shop is down.

Yeah, the official Retrode shop is down while the creator takes a break for a few weeks/months to be with his newborn baby.

stoneagegamer is also down, until March 8th. You should be able to pick one up there!

I'm playing through the game right now, and at times it feels more like a glitch than implemented gameplay. Fortunately you don't need to use it that much to make it through and it's really the only flaw I have with the game.

I could not do wall jumping for the life of me so I let my friend try... took him about 10 tries before he had the hang of it. He had never even played the game before :/

I had to watch a youtube video and even that was slightly wrong. The key here is that wall jumping is slightly different than just about every other game that has wall jumping.

• You have to spin jump
• When you come into contact with the wall, you tap in the opposite direction of the wall
• Just AFTER tapping the direction, press jump—you can't tap the direction and jump at the same time—I think this is why so many people fail

It's easy once you get in a groove. The pattern of tapping the direction and then pressing the jump button comes in an easy cadence. I think of it as a quick "tap tap" in my head while doing it. One right after the other.

Peagles

I had to watch a youtube video and even that was slightly wrong. The key here is that wall jumping is slightly different than just about every other game that has wall jumping.

• You have to spin jump
• When you come into contact with the wall, you tap in the opposite direction of the wall
• Just AFTER tapping the direction, press jump—you can't tap the direction and jump at the same time—I think this is why so many people fail

It's easy once you get in a groove. The pattern of tapping the direction and then pressing the jump button comes in an easy cadence. I think of it as a quick "tap tap" in my head while doing it. One right after the other.

I recently got to the little green dudes who teach you how to do it. Spent about an hour perfecting it there. My partner had a go and picked it up pretty easy but couldn't explain how. He was saying to press them both at the same time but I think he just has trouble working out what he's actually pressing. Anyway I can pretty much do it on command now. Feels good man. I'm jumping up walls I'm pretty sure I'm not even supposed to go up yet, haha...

Fox Mulder

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but...

Are any of those SNES "retro" consoles I see all over eBay worth it? Particularly the dual-loader NES/SNES ones? I've heard the sound is always altered.

I looked into that Retrode, but I'd rather play on a separate tv, away from my computer.

I currently use a retron 3 for the convenience and i like how it lets me use all the real controllers. It has some issues that real hardware doesn't have, but its a small trade off for me at the moment.

My collection isn't that huge or expensive yet, and I haven't run into a game that doesn't work on it so far.

I recently got to the little green dudes who teach you how to do it. Spent about an hour perfecting it there. My partner had a go and picked it up pretty easy but couldn't explain how. He was saying to press them both at the same time but I think he just has trouble working out what he's actually pressing. Anyway I can pretty much do it on command now. Feels good man. I'm jumping up walls I'm pretty sure I'm not even supposed to go up yet, haha...

Nice! Now you can skip the high jump boots and go straight to Kraid among other things.

missfuuchan

Neo Member
I'm thinking about getting back into SNES collecting, so I'm very pleased to have spotted this thread! This is my current collection (I have some of the Boxes/manuals in my parents garage too) - I'm pretty sure I mostly have common stuff, but I guess you have to start somewhere!

UK Pal games:
yCNuMc3.jpg

Super Famicom

Earthbound is the dream - I wish it had gotten a PAL release ;_;

I currently use a retron 3 for the convenience and i like how it lets me use all the real controllers. It has some issues that real hardware doesn't have, but its a small trade off for me at the moment.

My collection isn't that huge or expensive yet, and I haven't run into a game that doesn't work on it so far.

What emulator do you use?

Just giving you guys a heads up...I've decided that I'm no longer interested in buying SNES CIB. I'll still buy the games and manuals (And what else comes with it) but not the boxes since I am liking those plastic cases more. SO, I'm planning to sell all my SNES boxes off (Ranging from 10-20 bucks) to buy the cases and what not. Sooo I'll probably be putting them up on the BST thread here shortly!

Here is what I have:
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Kirby Super Star
Super Metroid
Yoshi's Island
Super Mario All Stars
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
Super Mario RPG

Teknoman

The fact that Pier Solar is an indie developed Sega Genesis game with a level of polish that blows away many of the official games on the system in terms of polish is reason enough to want to pick it up I think.

Getting the Dreamcast version via kickstarter myself.

Bought that screwdriver that opens up Nintendo cartridges so that I can replace some of my batteries. I don't know how to solder, but I hear that using electrical tape is fine too, as long as you can secure it well, so I might as well give it a shot.

I have a bunch of GB games I need to change the batteries for anyway, so that kills two birds with one stone.

Fox Mulder

Bought that screwdriver that opens up Nintendo cartridges so that I can replace some of my batteries. I don't know how to solder, but I hear that using electrical tape is fine too, as long as you can secure it well, so I might as well give it a shot.

I have a bunch of GB games I need to change the batteries for anyway, so that kills two birds with one stone.

Soldering isn't hard, you can just mess around with it until you feel comfortable or try on a cheap game first. Then you would have learned a new life skill.

Parallacs

Soldering isn't hard, you can just mess around with it until you feel comfortable or try on a cheap game first. Then you would have learned a new life skill.

Plus, aren't old SNES batteries held in place with solder? You will at least need to melt them off.

Soldering costs about $8 for an iron and solder. A two minute youtube video will show you anything you need to know.

I can also answer any questions you may have.

I guess I can give it a shot, I'm just really paranoid about potentially screwing up my games (especially Earthbound) because I can't keep a steady hand to save my life, and I don't want to mess up the board.

Plus, aren't old SNES batteries held in place with solder? You will at least need to melt them off.

Soldering costs about $8 for an iron and solder. A two minute youtube video will show you anything you need to know.

I can also answer any questions you may have.

The battery itself is like pressed into the clips. So you either pry it out or replace the clips (which are soldered in). I'd just buy those batteries off ebay that are already on clips that somebody posted. Never knew they existed, be doing that from now on.

These.

Parallacs

The battery itself is like pressed into the clips. So you either pry it out or replace the clips (which are soldered in). I'd just buy those batteries off ebay that are already on clips that somebody posted. Never knew they existed, be doing that from now on.

These.

Yeah, all the gameboy batteries I've replaced have those clips. Tap them for half a second on the end of the tab and pull the whole battery out. I think that is a lot less risky than prying them off.

I guess I can give it a shot, I'm just really paranoid about potentially screwing up my games (especially Earthbound) because I can't keep a steady hand to save my life, and I don't want to mess up the board.

Okay, I just opened my copy of Earthbound because its been years since I've replaced an SNES battery. The battery sits on the top left, far from any of the chips or cap, so it would be really hard to screw up the board. You can just hold the cart with battery facing downward and tap both solder areas on the top and the battery will fall out. Doing the opposite with the battery facing up will cause it to fall in, you don't even need to buy new solder, assuming you don't spend too much time cooking it. If the solder is still shiny and silver you are good, if it is brown and dull, you might need to add a touch.

I wonder what the cheapest battery save SNES game is to practice on. I guess Super Mario World.

Gameboy415

Just giving you guys a heads up...I've decided that I'm no longer interested in buying SNES CIB. I'll still buy the games and manuals (And what else comes with it) but not the boxes since I am liking those plastic cases more. SO, I'm planning to sell all my SNES boxes off (Ranging from 10-20 bucks) to buy the cases and what not. Sooo I'll probably be putting them up on the BST thread here shortly!

Here is what I have:

Kirby Super Star
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III

I'd be interested in these 3 boxes if they're in good shape!! (especially Kirby as I have a cart-only copy!)
Do you have any pics you could post?

Ughh. I wish ebay would snuff sellers like this out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-5-Ea...8231?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item460d4ecab7

5 copies of earthbound. Looking at his feedback, he has sold tons of copies of this game, and has openly sold a "reproduction" (ie fake) Hagane, and some other rare games. Obviously makes a good chunk of money selling fake games.

EDIT: Seriously, fuck this guy. Has sold every rare game you could think of, and passes off things like Mega Man and Bass and Secret of Mana 2 as "rare".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-5-Ea...8231?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item460d4ecab7

5 copies of earthbound. Looking at his feedback, he has sold tons of copies of this game, and has openly sold a "reproduction" (ie fake) Hagane, and some other rare games. Obviously makes a good chunk of money selling fake games.

EDIT: Seriously, fuck this guy. Has sold every rare game you could think of, and passes off things like Mega Man and Bass and Secret of Mana 2 as "rare".

ebay/paypal are collecting 11.9% of that sale. They don't care.

If you were feeling particularly inquisitive, you could message some of those buyers and ask them to check their carts for authenticity. The earthbound collecting site has pictures of fake carts.

ebay/paypal are collecting 11.9% of that sale. They don't care.

Yep. The tragic thing is he has 100% positive feedback. Which is the major problem, how many fake Earthbound, Harvest Moon, Metal Warriors, etc are out there to people who honestly have no idea they have fakes? And if they ever try and sell it, and someone like me gets it, and opens it and find out it's fake, they're going to get fucked for it. Shit situation for everyone, outside of this piece of shit who is making a killing.

He has also sold sealed games, which I'm going to assume were also fake re-seals as well.

Yeah it's grossly over priced but they don't pull auctions for stuff like that. Amazing the guy has 5 copies in good shape must hit every garage sale, pawn shop and goodwill store in a 100 mile + radius.

They're fake.

How do you know? I'm not being a ass either I'm asking since I am not sure how to spot a fake, just by the label?

By looking at his feedback. He has sold more copies of Earthbound than everyone in this thread will ever see in person, and he has sold other reproductions, which makes it pretty obvious.

Parallacs

By looking at his feedback. He has sold more copies of Earthbound than everyone in this thread will ever see in person, and he has sold other reproductions, which makes it pretty obvious.

The first time I attempted to buy Earthbound (2010), I waited in the mail but it never came. I checked the seller's feedback and she had sold many copies of Earthbound but every single one was lost in the mail.

Not the same situation as this seller. But if a seller is selling the same type of item many times, and not much else: be careful. This seller has two auctions. Totally suspicious.

EDIT: Looking at his buyer feedback, he is snatching up copies of Earthbound to feed the price war. I guess he is legit, but a total resale scum.

GulAtiCa

I assume you got your money back?

I had similar issue with a copy of MMX2 a week or so ago. Some kid was just relisting it over and over. Would have you pay, but wouldn't go anywhere cause he wasn't actually on PayPal. Would then file a "cancel transaction" report and then relist it. Though I kinda think he was a complete idiot and had no idea what he was doing. Either way, his account got nuked.

btw, when you go to leave a neutral or negative comment, for the LOVE OF GOD, please actually don't list it as positive. I don't understand why some buyers will try to warn others about someone being fraud and then give positive feedback...

Zing

Banned
Who is that 5x Earthbound even targeting with that auction? Regular buyers have no need for five copies, and resellers aren't going to pay near his asking price. They simply must be fake.

Teknoman

What do you guys think of Gunman's Proof or the Glory of Heracles series?

Also I kinda want to go after King of Demons, but the Super Famicom version seems to have skyrocketed in price.

Parallacs

I assume you got your money back?

I had similar issue with a copy of MMX2 a week or so ago. Some kid was just relisting it over and over. Would have you pay, but wouldn't go anywhere cause he wasn't actually on PayPal. Would then file a "cancel transaction" report and then relist it. Though I kinda think he was a complete idiot and had no idea what he was doing. Either way, his account got nuked.

btw, when you go to leave a neutral or negative comment, for the LOVE OF GOD, please actually don't list it as positive. I don't understand why some buyers will try to warn others about someone being fraud and then give positive feedback...

Yeah. The seller was really good about giving refunds. That is how she maintained a positive feedback. She also bought about 200 penny auctions (muffin recipes) per day.

I realized some sort of fraud was going on and left negative feedback after I got my refund. She ended up with 200 straight negative feedbacks once she stopped doing refunds and probably is on the eBay hall of fame for worst seller ratings

EDIT: Looking at his buyer feedback, he is snatching up copies of Earthbound to feed the price war. I guess he is legit, but a total resale scum.

Yeah, saw this. So maybe they're legit. I know I wouldn't buy anything from him since he's openly sold fake Hagane's and listed Mega Man and Bass and Secret of Mana 2 as "rare". Person is very shady at the least.

IrishNinja

gonna offer $49.99. wish me luck!

Yeah. The seller was really good about giving refunds. That is how she maintained a positive feedback. She also bought about 200 penny auctions (muffin recipes) per day.

I realized some sort of fraud was going on and left negative feedback after I got my refund. She ended up with 200 straight negative feedbacks once she stopped doing refunds and probably is on the eBay hall of fame for worst seller ratings

holy shit, ebay/paypal swung way more in the buyer's corner in recent years, how is she still selling? i thought after enough complaints they still banned you, used to be quick about that in the day

Every auction usually says rare. Not really unique to him.

**LOOSE COPY OF SONIC 2 OMG RARE OOP! XBOX PS4 PC IOS**

Every auction usually says rare. Not really unique to him.

The point is that he's trying to pass them off as real. Secret of Mana 2 isn't "rare", it doesn't exist, it's a repro. Which there's nothing wrong with selling, but trying to pass them off as some legit rare cart is pretty sleazy. And yeah, a "repro" Hagane is actually a fake pirate Hagane.

**LOOSE COPY OF SONIC 2 OMG RARE OOP! XBOX PS4 PC IOS**

I can't remember what game it was, but a couple weeks ago there was a hilarious "Rarer than Earthbound - Wild Guns - Evo ... etc" listing. That shit is ridiculous that ebay doesn't squash that shit.

IrishNinja

devil's advocate: is repro one of the flagged words on ebay? they also used to be pretty hardcore about catching/removing copied stuff, wonder if they're trying to get around that. even so, yeah, you should let people know what they're buying, even if you gotta dance around "CUSTOM ROM CART"

lupin23rd

The point is that he's trying to pass them off as real. Secret of Mana 2 isn't "rare", it doesn't exist, it's a repro. Which there's nothing wrong with selling, but trying to pass them off as some legit rare cart is pretty sleazy. And yeah, a "repro" Hagane is actually a fake pirate Hagane.

I can't remember what game it was, but a couple weeks ago there was a hilarious "Rarer than Earthbound - Wild Guns - Evo ... etc" listing. That shit is ridiculous that ebay doesn't squash that shit.

Posted this a while back in a Fire Emblem thread, but I was looking at eBay to see all the copies of Fire Emblem for 3DS and was really annoyed by all the sellers trying to pass off some of the early Fire Emblem FC and SFC titles (other than Thracia) as rare and expensive. Hopefully buyers are doing a little research and not just jumping on stuff because "ooooooh Fire Emblem!"

My favorites are the guys that have *Insert game here* ULTRA RARE MINT CONDITION and then proceed to list it with a $5 BIN price

I was just about to mention this guy, haha.

devil's advocate: is repro one of the flagged words on ebay? they also used to be pretty hardcore about catching/removing copied stuff, wonder if they're trying to get around that. even so, yeah, you should let people know what they're buying, even if you gotta dance around "CUSTOM ROM CART"

Nah, they're fine with repros, surprisingly.

Terranigma
Earthbound Zero
Splatterhouse

Most people just don't put it in the title to trick people into think they're buying something rare instead.

IrishNinja

ah, its cool they recognize that market & don't go after it, then. makes it even shittier to not tell the buyer, though.

i mean, you could prolly make a killing selling those bootleg earthbounds at like $30-50 and properly marking them, just for people who wanna play em.

Has anyone played clocktower? If so, how is it? I'm thinking of picking up a repro.. it looks pretty fun on youtube

So what is a repro exactly? Just an English translation put on a game and put in a custom box? What's the deal here because I'd also be interested in version of Clock Tower that I could play on my SNES.

So what is a repro exactly? Just an English translation put on a game and put in a custom box? What's the deal here because I'd also be interested in version of Clock Tower that I could play on my SNES.

Exactly. Taking a game that was never released here (or a compatible donor cart), taking one of the chips off the board and replacing it with a new chip with the english rom on it, and putting it into SNES cart shell. There are so many games that never came out in the US, it's pretty awesome this exists.

You could also go down the SD cart path instead, but from the little I've read there are a lot of incompatibility problems with special chips and said carts, so none of them are 100% compatible with all games.

Teknoman

Pretty much, minus the custom box...unless you really wanna pay for that.

They usually only put english translations of games that never hit outside of Japan, were never released anywere, or hacks on a cartridge, and do a nice custom label to match.

bahamutlagoon.jpg

Like so.

Exactly. Taking a game that was never released here (or a compatible donor cart), taking one of the chips off the board and replacing it with a new chip with the english rom on it, and putting it into SNES cart shell. There are so many games that never came out in the US, it's pretty awesome this exists.

You could also go down the SD cart path instead, but from the little I've read there are a lot of incompatibility problems with special chips and said carts, so none of them are 100% compatible with all games.

Not to mention having an actual cart just looks cooler :p Really wish a mod would clarify whether linking to good repro sites is against rules same as providing rom links. Guess I could PM one?

I don't know much about console hardware, but can there ever be repros of disc based games? I'd love a translated Policenauts or Shadow Tower Abyss.

Top Bottom