• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I don't know much about console hardware, but can there ever be repros of disc based games? I'd love a translated Policenauts or Shadow Tower Abyss.

I think most people just mod their console and burn their own disc.

I suppose it would be possible to get a professionally pressed disc that bypasses the copy protection.... but sounds like a lot of work for very little reward (some OCD fetish about the disc looking more real and working on a non-mod console?).

Teknoman

I think most people just mod their console and burn their own disc.

I suppose it would be possible to get a professionally pressed disc that bypasses the copy protection.... but sounds like a lot of work for very little reward (some OCD fetish about the disc looking more real and working on a non-mod console?).

Honestly...i'd probably buy an official looking translated Segagaga or Shining Force 3 scenario 2 and 3.

BocoDragon

Honestly...i'd probably buy an official looking translated Segagaga or Shining Force 3 scenario 2 and 3.

Hmm... I suppose there is merit to the idea, when you put it that way.

Well... it's probably a hell of a lot easier than making cart repros. Lots of professional CD pressing equipment is out there.

I think it's probably easy to get around the copy protection... Think about unofficial releases like Game Sharks/Action Replays that worked on stock consoles (for sure Dreamcast is dead simple in this regard).

Hmm... I suppose there is merit to the idea, when you put it that way.

Well... it's probably a hell of a lot easier than making cart repros. Lots of professional CD pressing equipment is out there.

I think it's probably easy to get around the copy protection... Think about unofficial releases like Game Sharks/Action Replays that worked on stock consoles (for sure Dreamcast is dead simple in this regard).

It's easy to get around for the Dreamcast, but not the Saturn. I've heard you can get around it with a model 1 Saturn and a Pro Action Replay (it's like the PS1 with a Gameshark cartridge plugged into the back, boot with a real disc then switch to the CDR), but that it doesn't work with the model 2 Saturn, and I only have a model 2 system, so there's no way I could test that. The only way to play unofficial discs on all Saturns is to install a mod chip. The mod chip only activates backups, too -- it doesn't work as a region switch. As you'd expect, most people do not have mod chips in their Saturns.

So no, getting around the copy protection on the Saturn is not so easy, unless you're playing the system in emulation on a computer of course.

Quackula

You can do the swap trick on a model 2 Saturn. I've done it before. It's kinda complicated though, because you have a very limited window in which you can do it.

Parallacs

gonna offer $49.99. wish me luck!

holy shit, ebay/paypal swung way more in the buyer's corner in recent years, how is she still selling? i thought after enough complaints they still banned you, used to be quick about that in the day

This was two years ago and she was banned a few weeks after I ordered the game. It did take eBay quite some time though. I typed up a long complaint and they responded with "We have NOT read your complaint. If you need further assistance, please call". I'm sure the 200 people she screwed over got refunds by paypal.

Despite a million complaints I have with eBay, as a buyer, I feel protected. Being a seller is a whole different story.

BocoDragon

It's easy to get around for the Dreamcast, but not the Saturn. I've heard you can get around it with a model 1 Saturn and a Pro Action Replay (it's like the PS1 with a Gameshark cartridge plugged into the back, boot with a real disc then switch to the CDR), but that it doesn't work with the model 2 Saturn, and I only have a model 2 system, so there's no way I could test that. The only way to play unofficial discs on all Saturns is to install a mod chip. The mod chip only activates backups, too -- it doesn't work as a region switch. As you'd expect, most people do not have mod chips in their Saturns.

So no, getting around the copy protection on the Saturn is not so easy, unless you're playing the system in emulation on a computer of course.

Hmm... well, I suppose this remains a situation where those interested should just mod...

You can do the swap trick on a model 2 Saturn. I've done it before. It's kinda complicated though, because you have a very limited window in which you can do it.

A basic "put in real disc, switch to other-region or backup or whatever" swap, like you can apparently do in the model 1 Saturn and as I said can do on the PS1, I will try. But one like that? Yeah, no way. It can damage your disc drive, and sounds way too hard to pull off to be worth the effort... and anyway, for other-region games at least, the PAR is your answer for almost any game.

Michan

Bought a box of Super Famicom controllers today.

I spent the morning "testing" them while re-visiting some old classics. It's been fun!

If anybody wants any, just send me a PM.

iso135

So, since you all got me back into SNES, I need a little cleaning/maintenance advice. I have about 15 games and a console that could all use a little cleaning. Basically they are all just a little dirty on the surfaces.

Without digging through the whole thread again, I am remembering the following advice:

Clean the surfaces of the carts with rubbing alcohol using a Q-tip or soft cloth? I want to make sure I don't damage the carts, however, minor scrubbing would go a long way towards making these carts look new again....I think.

And buy a nintendo repair shop cleaning kit for internals? Remember seeing that with a screwdriver and cleaning kit for like 11-12 dollars?

Thanks for any advice.

-KRS-

I actually don't clean the surfaces of the carts other than just wiping them a little with a dry microfiber cloth unless they're really dirty. But I would assume that using some soap and a microfiber cloth would be fine for that.

It's the PCB connector pins you want to clean with q-tips and all that. I can't speak for the cleaning kit but it's probably good. Since it comes with one of those bits to open up the carts it seems well priced at least. People in this thread seem to have success with it. Personally I open up the carts and use a very soft eraser that I run over the PCB pins with some force to remove the worst dirt. Then I dip a q-tip in isopropanol and run it over the pins a couple of times. Never had any problems with this method, and games that were really hard to start usually starts immediately afterwards. If the metal on the pins have been worn out however, cleaning them wont do. There's some sort of paste or something available that you can fix it with (someone linked to something like that in this thread somewhere), but it's only a temporary fix as it will rub off eventually.

Quackula

A basic "put in real disc, switch to other-region or backup or whatever" swap, like you can apparently do in the model 1 Saturn and as I said can do on the PS1, I will try. But one like that? Yeah, no way. It can damage your disc drive, and sounds way too hard to pull off to be worth the effort... and anyway, for other-region games at least, the PAR is your answer for almost any game.

It's like... put in fake disc, let the system read the TOC, wait for the disc drive to change speeds and swap to real disc, wait for system to check it, wait for the disc drive to change speeds again and swap back in fake disc. It's really not as hard as it sounds, but I've only ever tried it once. I don't have much interest in playing burned backups.

I use a PAR for imports. Besides, the PAR has the RAM carts that you need for some imports built right in.

I don't know much about console hardware, but can there ever be repros of disc based games? I'd love a translated Policenauts or Shadow Tower Abyss.
Yes! I'd love that too. Policenauts, Tales of Destiny 2, Tales of Rebirth and Segagaga would be sure orders from me if someone could achieve a credible looking package (I don't mod stuff, I'm stupid and just not interested in that).

(some OCD fetish about the disc looking more real and working on a non-mod console?).
For me, that too. (Seriously.)

Credo

Yes! I'd love that too. Policenauts, Tales of Destiny 2, Tales of Rebirth and Segagaga would be sure orders from me if someone could achieve a credible looking package (I don't mod stuff, I'm stupid and just not interested in that).

It'd be a sure order from me too, a day 1 if you will. I thought about getting into modding a while back but ultimately decided against it.

Zing

Banned
The externals of Super NES carts are rather durable. Unless there is already label damage, it is not easy to ruin the cart. I simply use a wet sponge to clean the outside if it is dirty. If there is just a bit of residue, I will clean that with a qtip and alcohol as I clean the pins. I've never had to use anything but alcohol and I've never had to disassemble a cart.

Linkhero1

Does anyone know how much shipping within the USA is for mediashelving? I'm tempted to buy the 100 cases but it's going to depend on the shipping costs.

Zing

Banned
If the cases came in solid black, I'd go for it. I acquired a black case with my Pocky & Rocky, and it actually looks like it is the original box. Apparently, the cases used to come in black, but haven't for years.

I'm working my way through Mega Man X2. It's more difficult than he first game. I am having trouble finding the hearts. I own X4 and X5 as well, but I am missing X3. Sigh.

Linkhero1

If the cases came in solid black, I'd go for it. I acquired a black case with my Pocky & Rocky, and it actually looks like it is the original box. Apparently, the cases used to come in black, but haven't for years.

I'm working my way through Mega Man X2. It's more difficult than he first game. I am having trouble finding the hearts. I own X4 and X5 as well, but I am missing X3. Sigh.

I would love black cases as well. I wish someone would do it.

SLX

Banned
To the guy that wanted to get a few folks on the mediashelving thing. Did you get anymore people on board?

GulAtiCa

Sushigod7

Anyone know a good GBA replacement case? I Googled it seems like people have modified DS cases. Would be awesome to get some plastic cases for them as well.

Iskander

Neo Member
To the guy that wanted to get a few folks on the mediashelving thing. Did you get anymore people on board?

Sent you a PM.

I'm looking for about 30-35 of the universal game cases and SLX above is looking for some as well. Anyone else want to get in on a case order? PM me if interested.

GulAtiCa

Bought Chrono Trigger for $5! Ok, it's the Japanese version. I already have it on the Wii VC, so I decided to just get the Japanese version since those are way cheap. Might do this for other high price games too that I already can play on the Wii VC/etc.

pp8yAP.jpeg

Rezae

Bought Chrono Trigger for $5! Ok, it's the Japanese version. I already have it on the Wii VC, so I decided to just get the Japanese version since those are way cheap. Might do this for other high price games too that I already can play on the Wii VC/etc.

I just ordered Japanese versions of FF4,5 and 6, along with Ogre Battle and Chrono Trigger, all with boxes, for about the price of FF2 USA cartridge only. For as cheap as they go for, why not!

I looked around and found SeymoreOnion.com but I can't seem to find images of the case.
They haven't been produced yet. His plan includes multiple colors and clips to hold the manuals.

When he's ready, he plans to use CrowdTilt to raise money on a pre-order basis.

So for now, the Universal Game Cases are the best solution but there may soon be an even better one.

Top Bottom