• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Linkhero1

They haven't been produced yet. His plan includes multiple colors and clips to hold the manuals.

When he's ready, he plans to use CrowdTilt to raise money on a pre-order basis.

So for now, the Universal Game Cases are the best solution but there may soon be an even better one.

Oh. That sounds pretty good. I'll keep a watch.

Special Marker Black edition of Mega Man X just got re-listed for the billionth time. Guy finally knocked the price down five bucks, so it can be yours for only $20 now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mega-Man-X-...4646?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item27d08b9af6

It's RARE! Why wouldn't you want it?

Apparently Lufia 2 is getting up there too.

Yeah, I've noticed this as well. That and part 1 are pretty high up on my list of shit to get next. At least one is still fairly priced.

Got Wild Guns, Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts, The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse, and Jurassic Park today. My list of Must Purchase SNES games is dwindling. Still need to get EVO and Dracula X though...

Teknoman

Special Marker Black edition of Mega Man X just got re-listed for the billionth time. Guy finally knocked the price down five bucks, so it can be yours for only $20 now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mega-Man-X-...4646?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item27d08b9af6

It's RARE! Why wouldn't you want it?

Yeah, I've noticed this as well. That and part 1 are pretty high up on my list of shit to get next. At least one is still fairly priced.

Why doesnt he at least use a magic eraser to clean that stuff up. A bare cart with no label is at least better than...that.

And yeah I need to get Lufia 1 as well. Not sure if I want to get FFIV seeing as I already have so many versions courtesy of Square lol. Same with Chrono Trigger.

On that note, I know Final Fight 1 isnt really that great on SNES, but what about 2?

Gameboy415

Yahoo! I just won a pretty sweet lot of 7 CIB SNES games (& a loose SMW) on eBay! :D

The lot included:
TinStar
We're Back: A Dinosaur's Story
Rocko's Modern Life
Paperboy
Animaniacs
The Jungle Book
Seaquest DSV
Super Mario World (loose)

I'll post pics when they arrive! :)

Olly88

Ah, I have a dilemma. I can get Mega Man X for a good price (boxed but no manual), but it's an NTSC version. I don't know whether to risk buying it and hope that it works with the adapter I've got.

GulAtiCa

I don't know the sizes. There was a thread at coverproject.net discussing it with Onion.

Will be interesting to see how many new covers are made if the sizes are different. I can see the depth being the same are larger. Really can't make that smaller. But I can see both the width or height being reduced. Even a modified Media case that fits NES games can be reduced in height.

I wish them or the Media Case people would make a version that fits NES games. I've learned to modify my own with a Soldering Iron and got decent at it, so it doesn't effect me anymore. But I'm sure others would appreciate a version that perfectly fits NES games.

Ah, I have a dilemma. I can get Mega Man X for a good price (boxed but no manual), but it's an NTSC version. I don't know whether to risk buying it and hope that it works with the adapter I've got.
Do you have a PAL SNES or a Super Famicom? If you have a PAL SNES, prob not a good idea. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the PAL SNES uses different chips then the NTSC system and with the different Hz it will prob play weird. But I'm guessing here from everything I might have heard.

What system, what adapter, what makes you afraid it won't work? There's nothing special about MMX I'm aware of. Two and Three are the ones with the special Capcom chips.

I wish them or the Media Case people would make a version that fits NES games. I've learned to modify my own with a Soldering Iron and got decent at it, so it doesn't effect me anymore. But I'm sure others would appreciate a version that perfectly fits NES games.

Yeah, my NES collection is larger than SNES right now. It's going to fucking suck having to mod a ton of cases when the time comes.

Olly88

What system, what adapter, what makes you afraid it won't work? There's nothing special about MMX I'm aware of. Two and Three are the ones with the special Capcom chips.

I have a PAL system and the Datel Universal Pro Adapter. The reason I'm dubious about it working is just because of a couple of other posts I've read searching Google. Mostly these two which are pretty much the only ones I can find about that game;

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37851
http://petesgameroomforum.com/single/?p=689781&t=4676327 (according this one it has larger pins)

I might risk it. If it works great, if not, maybe I'll have an excuse to look for a US console in the future.

GulAtiCa

Yeah, my NES collection is larger than SNES right now. It's going to fucking suck having to mod a ton of cases when the time comes.

heh ya. Takes me about 5 or so minutes for each case. Not sure why it takes so long, doesn't feel that long. Granted I am usually watching something on Netflix in my garage or outside while I do it as well. Also keep in mind I take a shortcut when modifying mine, with the iron I cut through the middle of the sections I want to cut off, and then melt down a little what's left so there are only slightly stubs for them. Manually melting it down would prob take longer.

Teknoman

lol i've done a grand total of...1 case for my NES. That was after spending some quality time with the case and some needlenose pliers. As someone once said, "ain't nobody got time for that!"

Seriously though, dont feel like getting a dremel or something to melt the plastic, so thats probably the best way for me atm.

Inno

I have a PAL system and the Datel Universal Pro Adapter. The reason I'm dubious about it working is just because of a couple of other posts I've read searching Google. Mostly these two which are pretty much the only ones I can find about that game;

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37851
http://petesgameroomforum.com/single/?p=689781&t=4676327 (according this one it has larger pins)

I might risk it. If it works great, if not, maybe I'll have an excuse to look for a US console in the future.

My NTSC MegaMan X works fine with my Universal pro adapter. Infact I haven't encountered a NTSC game yet that it has problems with.

IrishNinja

yeah, now that im switching my genesis games slowly over to good/cheap sega knockoff shells, ive got a buncha universal game cases left over...no way id switch over to a different format, no matter how nice the onion ones end up being. if they need different covers, that'll take forever too.

this is also quite true; they work for gen, SNES, 32X etc but i read i'd need to mess with an exacto (or your iron) to properly fit them, so i just have covers on mine and actually put them in a nintendo NES shelf/cabinet thing, it's really a vanity thing to have empty shelves on the shelf.

lupin23rd

Thanks to the one guy asking about SFC cases and the other guy who responded with a link, I may have to pick up some of those.

Quick question for SFC collectors / experts, is the Japanese version of Super Return of the Jedi a rare game? I've seen the first two Super Star Wars games (and likely overpaid for them today), but only seen one place online that had Jedi and complete in box it was more than I paid for the other two combined. I may cave because I want the trilogy LOL

iso135

I guess I will hold off on the UGCs for now. With that said, I guess I need a better bin to organize them in. I'm guessing I should just measure height and width of the carts and find something they will fit decently in? My only concern is if they are standing up pressed against other carts that the label may get worn a little by the in/out process.

Parallacs

Got Wild Guns, Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts, The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse, and Jurassic Park today. My list of Must Purchase SNES games is dwindling. Still need to get EVO and Dracula X though...

Huge pick ups!

Definitely try hard for Dracula X. It is an awesome game.

For Jurassic Park, I used this guide last weekend to beat it:
www.flyingomelette.com/faqs/jpwalkthru.html

You can't beat it without a guide. It would take hundreds of hours for a three hour game.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Oh man, I forgot to mention yesterday but my copy of Gundam Wing Endless Duel showed up. That game is freaking amazing. Essential if you like fighting games :)

EDIT: So I found a reasonably priced cart only FFIII on eBay... what does this even mean?

NOTE TO COLLECTORS: IF YOU ARE SEARCHING FOR 'BLACK LABEL 1ST EDITIONS' ASK YOUR QUESTIONS BEFORE BUYING. COLLECTORS HAVE A RESPONSIBILITY TO ASK QUESTIONS BEFORE BUYING. AGAIN I REPEAT ASK ALL QUESTIONS BEFORE BUYING. DON'T BUY A GAME ASSUMING IT'S BLACK LABEL, BECAUSE YOUR ASSUMPTION ISN'T APART OF MY DESCRIPTION. IF YOU ASK THE QUESTION IT WILL BE ANSWERED

Oh man, I forgot to mention yesterday but my copy of Gundam Wing Endless Duel showed up. That game is freaking amazing. Essential if you like fighting games :)

EDIT: So I found a reasonably priced cart only FFIII on eBay... what does this even mean?

Does the seller sell a lot of Playstation games? Probably just some default/templated text from their other sales.

Parallacs

Why am I tempted to pick up FFIII even though I don't care for JRPG's?

Get it! The cool thing about FFIII is there really isn't that much grinding (though not as little as Chrono Trigger). Very few bosses need a second try.

The game is all about story and characters. It is also really fun to break in the endgame. Certain character skills are uncontrolled when exploited.

Also, one of the characters has an item that eliminates random battles. A masterpiece of anti-RPG design that is usually ignored.

McBradders

Does the seller sell a lot of Playstation games? Probably just some default/templated text from their other sales.

Yeah. Think I'm going to skip it... at least until I finish Persona 4 :/

Get it! The cool thing about FFIII is there really isn't that much grinding (though not as little as Chrono Trigger). Very few bosses need a second try.

The game is all about story and characters. It is also really fun to break in the endgame. Certain character skills are uncontrolled when exploited.

Also, one of the characters has an item that eliminates random battles. A masterpiece of anti-RPG design that is usually ignored.

Dammit man...

Parallacs

Holy shit, hope there is some shill bidding going on, cause this is way overbid already:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SNES-4-RPG-...5475?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item27d04a0153

Lets see:

35 +
20 +
24 +
8 =
$87

Are people insane?

Edit: I'm trying to comprehend the bidding history. A 0 FB bidder took it to $140, and then topped it off at $200. A few of the bids >$200 since then have been removed. I can't understand what the guy with 2040 FB was doing taking the max from $160 to $200. It certainly looks like two shill bidders.

Lets see:

35 +
20 +
24 +
8 =
$87

Are people insane?

Edit: I'm trying to comprehend the bidding history. A 0 FB bidder took it to $140, and then topped it off at $200. A few of the bids >$200 since then have been removed. I can't understand what the guy with 2040 FB was doing taking the max from $160 to $200. It certainly looks like two shill bidders.

Yeah. Noticed some zero feedback and new users bidding. Even at complete shit prices (ie Buy it Now prices), it's bid up a good $55-60 over what it's worth. I hope if he's bidding it up himself that he fucks up and wins his own auction.

That lot was super overpriced! Screw that, I just set my absolute highest price...no need to get into bidding wars.

In other news, I wish the UGC's had clips for the manuals...which don't fit exactly but whatever, they're durable!

And I suddenly have no need for all of these plastic covers for the SNES games...

Michan

Thank you to everybody who has purchased a Super Famicom controller from me!

I've just received another batch, so there should be plenty to go around.

I'm selling these controllers for $10 a piece or 2 for $18. I'm located in Japan, so shipping is $4 for one + $2.50 for each extra controller. Condition varies, but all controllers are 100% responsive. Please ask if you'd like to see more pictures.

Currently in the process of restoring some more - here's a picture of some waiting to be cleaned:

j8HIL4LQ5C6nb.jpg

Cleaning process:
• I start by opening the controller, then thoroughly wash the case with soapy water and leave to dry.
• Each of the rubber pads and buttons are cleaned with rubbing alcohol to remove any dirt that causes buttons to stick.
• When the case is dry, I clean the button holes with rubbing alcohol to remove any dirt that might cause friction.
• Before reattaching I wipe the cable, then each of the connectors of the circuit board with a q-tip - to improve connection with the buttons.
• When it's screwed back together, I test each button for 100% responsiveness. If it isn't completely responsive, I harvest it for good parts.

It's been a fun and enjoyable learning experience - who'd have thought Nintendo would have manufactured so many variants?

Please drop me a PM if you're interested!

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!

I've just received another batch, so should have plenty to go around.

I'm selling these controllers for $10 a piece or 2 for $18. I'm located in Japan, so shipping is $4 for one + $2.50 for each extra controller. Condition varies, but all controllers are 100% responsive. Please ask if you'd like to see more pictures.

Currently in the process of restoring them - here's a picture of some waiting to be cleaned:

j8HIL4LQ5C6nb.jpg

Cleaning process:
• I start by opening the controller, then thoroughly wash the case with soapy water and leave to dry.
• Each of the rubber pads and buttons are cleaned with rubbing alcohol to remove any dirt that causes buttons to stick.
• When the case is dry, I clean the button holes with rubbing alcohol to remove any dirt that might cause friction.
• Before reattaching I wipe the cable, then each of the connectors of the circuit board with a q-tip - to improve connection with the buttons.
• When it's screwed back together, I test each button for 100% responsiveness. If it isn't completely responsive, I harvest it for good parts.

It's been a fun and enjoyable learning experience - who'd have thought Nintendo would have manufactured so many variants?

Yah I do similar cleaning to old controllers that I get "as-is". Usually all they need is a good cleaning.

McBradders

I've just received another batch, so there should be plenty to go around.

Currently in the process of restoring some more - here's a picture of some waiting to be cleaned:

j8HIL4LQ5C6nb.jpg

Cleaning process:

Hmm gonna try this with mine. Thanks for sharing.

Olly88

My copy of Secret of Mana has finally been dispatched, woo! Can't wait to play it
and listen to that awesome music.

-KRS-

Speaking of controllers. Are there any brand new controllers out there floating around? And what would that cost? A while ago I know a Swedish collector bought a lot of 100 brand new original NES controllers that he sold on a Swedish auction site for reasonable prices. Apparently there was a huge stock of them left in Germany or something and that's where he got them from. I bought two of them and they're fantastic to use. Also it's not every day you get to take out an NES controller and smelling that new-controller-smell. :D But then I play my SNES and my controllers are just so worn out in comparison that it doesn't feel very good. I've been spoiled with my brand new NES controllers! I still see those new NES controllers from time to time but never any SNES ones. I'd love to have some brand new controllers though. But maybe I'll just get a couple from Michan instead. Renovated and cleaned controllers are better than worn out controllers at least. :)

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Yes.

It's crazy how the game goes for $30 or more on eBay while you can get it shipped from Japan for like $15 total.

That's why Jeff Gerstmann, from Giant Bomb, keeps talking about "The Raid".

He saw that the roundtrip to Japan (from the US) is a thousand dollars. Taking the markup of the things on eBay, can he make a 2-3 day trip and buy enough stuff (taking into consideration the 1k trip expense) and spend less than he would on eBay buying the same things?

We'll soon find out.

That's why Jeff Gerstmann, from Giant Bomb, keeps talking about "The Raid".

He saw that the roundtrip to Japan (from the US) is a thousand dollars. Taking the markup of the things on eBay, can he make a 2-3 day trip and buy enough stuff (taking into consideration the 1k trip expense) and spend less than he would on eBay buying the same things?

We'll soon find out.

I thought talks of this died out. Pretty sure he killed it after "Doritos Gate" happened, because the way he wanted to do it would have required some form of sponsorship that he is now weary of.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I thought talks of this died out. Pretty sure he killed it after "Doritos Gate" happened, because the way he wanted to do it would have required some form of sponsorship that he is now weary of.

What, Doritos Gate was last year. This is a "this year" conversation. He said he'll do it, even out of this pocket (eventually).

It's a thing HE wants to do, and if he can come up with a way to make content for the website out of it and, in turn, make the company pay for it, all the better.

What, Doritos Gate was last year. This is a "this year" conversation. He said he'll do it, even out of this pocket (eventually).

It's a thing HE wants to do, and if he can come up with a way to make content for the website out of it and, in turn, make the company pay for it, all the better.

I could be wrong, obviously, but I don't think he's mentioned it once this year. I would think it was either on one of his jar videos or the bombcast after it all blew up where he talked about it. I believe the idea was that he would need at least a small crew with to record it all. He mentioned some other ideas that were being shelved too because of it all.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I could be wrong, obviously, but I don't think he's mentioned it once this year. I would think it was either on of his jar videos or the bombcast after it all blew up where he talked about it. I believe the idea was that he would need at least a small crew with to record it all. He mentioned some other ideas that were being shelved too because of it all.

....I guess you're right, it was mostly last year's talk.

WTF, where did time go? :D

I do remember him saying he would do it himself eventually, though.

Edit: Here's the newest information on "the raid", from Feb 8th: http://jeffgerstmann.tumblr.com/pos...are-the-chances-the-raid-will-actually-happen

Top Bottom