• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Parallacs

Glad i'm not the only one. I'm watching a flea market madness (pat) atm. It kinda helps though, since you can see what else might be hard to find/uncommon that you didnt know of.

My favorite part of flea market madness is when he makes the disgusted face at the bottom of the screen. "How much is this Game Gear? $40? Well I'll think about it...." Yuck.

Usually when I encounter a bad price, I just walk away with a quiet "okay. thanks".

Hypothetical: If you owned Dracula X, would you trade it for Ninja Gaiden Trilogy? Or I guess if you owned neither, would you consider that a decent/fair trade?

Teknoman

My favorite part of flea market madness is when he makes the disgusted face at the bottom of the screen. "How much is this Game Gear? $40? Well I'll think about it...." Yuck.

Usually when I encounter a bad price, I just walk away with a quiet "okay. thanks".

Lol i do the same "i'll think about it" and then never come back. But yeah the faces are great.

Weren't the jump and slash buttons reversed on NGT though? Now THAT would be a deal breaker for me, as it was for Mega Man Anniversary Collection on GameCube, if I recall correctly.

Weren't the jump and slash buttons reversed on NGT though? Now THAT would be a deal breaker for me, as it was for Mega Man Anniversary Collection on GameCube, if I recall correctly.

Sort of. NGT uses A as jump and B as attack. It makes sense when emulating an NES controller but most SNES games and almost all later gen games used B as jump and Y as attack. I had to rotate the controller slightly when playing, but it's not a huge deal. You get used to it quickly.

Still, pretty weak on the part of Tecmo. I sold the dog bone controllers that came with my top loader because I loathed the way the A and B buttons were placed, which is similar to the A and B on the SNES pad.

I still say you should steer clear of the game: the NES originals are great (except that password system is handy for NG3, I'll grant you that - that game is way too hard for me).

Still, pretty weak on the part of Tecmo. I sold the dog bone controllers that came with my top loader because I loathed the way the A and B buttons were placed, which is similar to the A and B on the SNES pad.

I still say you should steer clear of the game: the NES originals are great (except that password system is handy for NG3, I'll grant you that - that game is way too hard for me).

I'm unclear why reprogrammable buttons is not a staple of gaming across all games/platforms, especially games like this.

Teknoman

Not SNES but it has something to do with one of the repros places.

So OCD repro guys Mother 3 just arrived:

jbj8K8SHGuqAYL.jpg

jGJ8193I07moT_e.jpg

It works great and the label looks great ( ESRB rating is a little fuzzy but not a big deal), but i'm not sure if the cartridge is supposed to be slightly open on the inside.

They did say this on the site:

This cartridge will not suffer from the fat cart syndrome I've read about other Mother 3 carts. We modify them to fit without bulging. I confirmed it to fit fine into DS Lite, GBA SP, and the Gameboy Player.

So maybe thats why it looks like it does? Kinda have to push a little harder (not much but just abit more than normal) to get the GBASP to not have that scrambled Nintendo logo screen, but it works fine other than that.

Either way, i'll definitely be getting other SNES and NES stuff from them later on...unless that 25 dollar guy takes off lol.

I'm unclear why reprogrammable buttons is not a staple of gaming across all games/platforms, especially games like this.

Yes, absolutely. I know nothing about software design, but my guess is that it shouldn't be too hard to implement.

Teknoman

Yup, figured i'd post it since we had that repro discussion and refutable places to go a few pages back. It feels strange playing it with an actual cartridge on actually hardware (in a good way), so i'm sure that feeling will be magnified when I start hitting up some of the other things like Live A Live.

Peagles

This just turned up! In very nice condition too! I'm having trouble playing it through my adapter though. I'm using Turtles in Time in the back of a Universal Adapter Expert Version, in a Super Famicom, just to get past the physical lockout. Super Metroid and Super Bomberman work good (and even better after a clean - thanks whoever suggested using a rubber!) but Super Mario RPG won't play nice.

I temporarily transplanted the chip into my PAL Yoshi's Island casing though and it works a treat! Still wanna put it back to how it should be though, hmm...

This just turned up! In very nice condition too! I'm having trouble playing it through my adapter though. I'm using Turtles in Time in the back of a Universal Adapter Expert Version, in a Super Famicom, just to get past the physical lockout. Super Metroid and Super Bomberman work good (and even better after a clean - thanks whoever suggested using a rubber!) but Super Mario RPG won't play nice.

I temporarily transplanted the chip into my PAL Yoshi's Island casing though and it works a treat! Still wanna put it back to how it should be though, hmm...

It's funny how fast SNES stuff has gone up in price. Just nine months ago, I tried to sell a CIB copy of Super Mario RPG for about the same amount and it didn't even sell.

Oh well, it doesn't hurt to own two.

SNES games that use enhancement chips like Mario RPG and Yoshi's Island need that extra metal contact inside the cartridge case to work properly, that's probably why it won't work with your pass-through device.

I feel conflicted every goddamn time I read this thread. On the one hand, I feel like I ought to unload stuff. Then I read this thread, and realize that I've got good physical media that won't die and feel like I should hold on to it.

Christ.

I feel conflicted every goddamn time I read this thread. On the one hand, I feel like I ought to unload stuff. Then I read this thread, and realize that I've got good physical media that won't die and feel like I should hold on to it.

Christ.

Don't sell. I've learned that hard lesson too many times.

Peagles

SNES games that use enhancement chips like Mario RPG and Yoshi's Island need that extra metal contact inside the cartridge case to work properly, that's probably why it won't work with your pass-through device.

Mine has the extra space for those pins though :'( Maybe I need my game on the back to also be one with the same chip? Turtles in Time is just standard.

Damnit I even found a YouTube video of someone using my adapter to play SMRPG... Why won't mine work? Grr! I don't even get a piracy warning or anything, just a black screen.

It's funny how fast SNES stuff has gone up in price. Just nine months ago, I tried to sell a CIB copy of Super Mario RPG for about the same amount and it didn't even sell.

Oh well, it doesn't hurt to own two.

Really? I've been keeping an eye on it on and off for years and never seen one so cheap and in that condition. The last one I saw locally was over $200 NZ a couple of years ago, and this one worked out to $100 NZ including mail forwarding charges.

Put yours on TradeMe :p

Teknoman

Christ.

Much like current gen, only unload stuff you feel that you would never play again. Or wouldnt be too hard to track down in the same condition.

-KRS-

Complete in Box

Buy It Now

I thought it was Cartridge, Instructions, Box?
Maybe it's both, because I've seen both uses before. But when someone says CIB it doesn't necessarily mean that it will include all the flyers/inserts and anything else other than the the cart and instruction booklet in the box.

Parallacs

I thought it was Cartridge, Instructions, Box?
Maybe it's both, because I've seen both uses before. But when someone says CIB it doesn't necessarily mean that it will include all the flyers and anything else other than the the cart and instruction booklet in the box.

I've seen CIB used for things that come in boxes, but weren't cartidges (such as DVDs). So it would make more sense being complete in box.

You are right about CIB not including flyers and stuff. If I ever decided to sell one of my complete games as CIB, I wouldn't bother mentioning that my CIB didn't include the Nintendo Power flyer and the T-shirt offer :)

Wow, thank you for posting that Mother 3 cart! I would so invest into a GBA SP along with that cart down the line when I have a little more money. OCD Repro is the one site I have been meaning to buy some repro's from out of all the others sites I have seen. On another note, I have been playing TMNT IV. Either I suck or this game is hard? The difficulty is so inconsistent in the game. Certain enemies do ridiculous attacks with ridiculous damage and then some baddies are useless. I love the game, just really grumpy from repeatedly dying on Slash. *shakes fist*. I just started using backloggery to finish games and this one was the first one to come out of fortune cookie.

-KRS-

I've seen CIB used for things that come in boxes, but weren't cartidges (such as DVDs). So it would make more sense being complete in box.

You are right about CIB not including flyers and stuff. If I ever decided to sell one of my complete games as CIB, I wouldn't bother mentioning that my CIB didn't include the Nintendo Power flyer and the T-shirt offer :)

According to this, you guys are right. :)

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/CIB

Rezae

Just got my first SFC game in the mail!

hVTPIzI.jpg

All in all in pretty good condition. Took me a few minutes with some needlenose pliers to rip the tabs out of my SNES so the SFC cartridge fits. Loaded up on first try. So nice it even has a full English text option (not that it really matters with this game). Was cheaper than what the NA cart-only goes for, plus I love the cartridge artwork.

My night is set! Been a good dozen years if not longer since my last playthrough.

Do you mean like the piece of metal along the back part of the shell? I've always wondered why some games had that...

Or do you mean the extra contacts on either side of the main one

Peagles

Do you mean like the piece of metal along the back part of the shell? I've always wondered why some games had that...

Or do you mean the extra contacts on either side of the main one

I think they mean the extra contacts. My adapter has the right slot to take those contacts too though :(

Also, do you guys think I'd have a chance trying to trade some stuff for a CIB Earthbound? I've got a few sought after items that I'd be willing to let go of (sealed Hyrule Historia LE, Xenoblade, UK Ni No Kuni WE, etc).

Danielsan

There's a CIB and as good as new copy of Demon's Crest available on a local market place website for roughly €90, shipping included. I'm not sure if I can resist. :(

Olly88

There's a CIB and as good as new copy of Demon's Crest available on a local market place website for roughly €90, shipping included. I'm not sure if I can resist. :(

Hmm... what's the link? I would like to check it for you... ;)

Just kidding. Go for it, be wild!

Danielsan

Put in a bid. Feel like an ass for even considering paying this much for a SNES game that's supposedly pretty short. Still, it's very high on my "want to own/play" list and it hardly ever shows up on sale.

Here's the copy on sale:

Demon's Crest is a great game, you will be happy with it.

BY THE WAY, how much would a Euro Bro charge to send a PAL SNES controller or two my way?

Olly88

Put in a bid. Feel like an ass for even considering paying this much for a SNES game that's supposedly pretty short. Still, it's very high on my "want to own/play" list and it hardly ever shows up on sale.

Here's the copy on sale:

Nice! I'm very jealous :(

In the videogame collector community specifically, CIB stands for Cartridge, Instructions, Box. Not "complete in box," although perhaps other collecting communities use it to mean that.

CB, CI and IB are also used when people are listing their collections, buying or selling. I have a CB of Kickmaster for NES, e.g.

Had a good day today:

xcCl70f.jpg

Mostly wanted Earthworm Jim 2 and Mystical Ninja. They are all fantastic looking after spending a couple hours cleaning them, some of them were in real bad shape (that's just my flash making Earthworm Jim 2 shitty looking.)

No idea what most of the NES games are, never heard of them. Place I got them from had all the power rangers games, including the movie for $10, but it's label was all fucked up so I got the two with good labels.

Best part is, I got some other stuff too that I'm pretty confident I'll be able to flip and make all my money back on.

Top Bottom